Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #258: Where the Boys Are

Who needs women? Not Brink, apparently.

Read Full Article

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Valid point.
To me it also seems silly that there are ten billion character "possibilities" in Brink, yet somehow they all look exactly the same: like neanderthals with cockney accents.
You have skinny neanderthal guy, giant neanderthal guy, and black neanderthal guy. But they all look like they are related or clones or inbred or something.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Splash Damage has said they'll try and do it for their next game - I'm hoping it's also something they can consider for a Brink DLC/expansion. I certainly do understand the resource management side of things but it's still a shame women couldn't be included in this.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, because every other online FPS has female characters.

Oh wait.

*shrug*

I kind of get why people are annoyed, but I fail to see why they are picking on Brink specifically.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, that's bad. But it's nice to hear an explanation of why, interesting how I have to hear it from you and not a dev or something...

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
So the idea of making a game with all FEMALE characters is completely incomprehensible?

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
You can't blame them, they wanted to make an unforgetable experience by making a fully customizable experience, adding females is more than twice the hard work.
What would have happened if all of the characters were females?
I would have enjoyed that more than a sausage fest like that.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Zhukov said:
I kind of get why people are annoyed, but I fail to see why they are picking on Brink specifically.
Because it has such a huge focus on customisation, which other multiplayer online FPS tend not to have.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
lesterley said:
So the idea of making a game with all FEMALE characters is completely incomprehensible?
From a statistical point of view, you want to try and appeal to your largest market share. With shooters women make up ≤33% of the potential buyers, probably significantly less. From a cultural-bias point of view, the public would, without a doubt, find the lack of male characters much more confusing unless it was specifically explained by the story. This is odd, since in a hopeless-future scenario female who could be engineered to clone themselves would be much more useful than males, but video games (specifically shooters) are obviously dominated by masculine themes, settings, and characters.

...I have no idea why it's this way, but it is. :I

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
This is my very favorite gun - uh, I mean, girl. I call it Veera.

Yeah, I guess this is taking the Gears of War model to its logical conclusion. "In the world of Brink, there is only macho, slightly boring war." No room for love on THIS far shore, mates.

Apr 16, 2009
Just so you know, they specifically announced that they won't be having female characters and that it was a specific design decision, not just an oversight or anything. They felt female character models wouldn't fit in with the design style they chose for their game.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
From a developmental point of view: What Shamus said.

From a point of view pertaining to the Brink storyline: This is humanity's last refuge on Earth. People are fighting for survival. Why would they put the one gender capable of bearing children in front of the barrel of the enemy's gun? Women are needed to ensure the survival of the human race. Men are far more expendable.
I'm not saying this is the reason Splash Damage didn't include women as a character model, just that if you take a litle time to relate to what's going on in the game besides shooting people you can live with it more.

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
HankMan said:
Maybe splash damage is just likes dicking around.
lesterley said:
They might have been jiggling with the idea, but I think that's been done
<youtube=Hid4iyBeWkw>
Ah yes. I game that completely objectifies the female body.

So you can only have a game with all-female characters if the main purpose of their existence is to appeal to the male gaze?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Shamus Young said:
Stolen Pixels #258: Where the Boys Are

Who needs women? Not Brink, apparently.

Read Full Article
Shamus, you also forgot to mention the complete overhaul of skeleton animation work it takes to make them look female. Males and females do not walk the same or move the same since skeletal structure is different, hence a completely new skeletal model needs to be made for a female character. You can't just slap on boobs and booty to a male skeleton frame and expect it to look credible.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Zhukov said:
Yeah, because every other online FPS has female characters.

Oh wait.

*shrug*

Customization.

Brink is hopefully the first game in a series (and I do hope it continues), and most likely, they will possibly go, "Oh look, everybody complains about no girls. We should put female options in next game."