Street Fighter VI - 3rd Strike Times Two.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
That's why I said a fighting game pad/controller first. They're usually cheaper than a console's default controller (not always) and much cheaper than an arcade stick. There is aPS5 version of this that came out recently, but it is $60. The one I got back in 2020 is $40, but is compatible with PS4, PS3, and PC. I didn't say you should get a fight stick, and was only pointing out the disadvantages of getting one.

The funny thing is that even if you use Modern Controls, putting in the normal inputs for EX and Specials nets you more damage than using auto-combo/one button inputs. So you are still rewarded for doing it the harder way. Modern Controls are literally for people who want to button mash, look cool, or ease themselves in first before moving on to Classic Controls. It's no different frim Guilty Gear's Stylish Mode or the Auto-Combo buttons from Dragonball FighterZ.
Oh sorry I didn't really understand there was a seprate thing as a "fighting controller." Yeah, that one does look great, as it configures the strong attack buttons horizontally. I will consider this, thanks.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Will since the Celtics were beating the ever loving crap out of the 76ers I got bored in the 4th quarter and spent the time looking up this controller.... it's wired. Dammit.

Still kinda want it. I may have to play some clever geometry...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Will since the Celtics were beating the ever loving crap out of the 76ers I got bored in the 4th quarter and spent the time looking up this controller.... it's wired. Dammit.

Still kinda want it. I may have to play some clever geometry...
Yep. All of them are not matter the console or PC. The great news is that the cord is a nice length. It's not too short, nor super long. You getting the PS5 Hori Pad (it can work on PC and PS4), or XBOX Hori Pad? The PS4 Hori Pad is currently unavailable on Amazon, and eBay is charging ridiculous prices. I know you said you have a PS5 and Series S, so it's up to you.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yep. All of them are not matter the console or PC. The great news is that the cord is a nice length. It's not too short, nor super long. You getting the PS5 Hori Pad (it can work on PC and PS4), or XBOX Hori Pad? The PS4 Hori Pad is currently unavailable on Amazon, and eBay is charging ridiculous prices. I know you said you have a PS5 and Series S, so it's up to you.
PS5

i should be able to try it with the beta this weekend.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
The more I look at the world mode the more I think it looks ok but I kinda wish they spent that effort on adding more chars to the base roster instead. Though this is prolly due to me not having someone I really wanna play besides Jamie. It just reminds me of something like those Naruto Storm single player modes where you play a third rate rpg mode in the naruto world. I always thought they should just make a proper naruto rpg and have that be a game in and of itself if they wanted to deliver that experience, instead of latching a meh version of that onto the fighter which saps resources off of the fighter.

My optimistic interpretation is that they plan on suckering in casuals with the world mode (the folks complaining about sf5 not having single player content back in the day), and then using the resources from that suckering to keep the game going long-term and make enough chars, which is a prime strategy for sure, but also kinda makes me wanna wait on getting the game asap.

Oh well, maybe Gouki/Akuma will be shown and be cool so I may get it anyways, I expect he will be in the first batch of dlc chars. Gouki with normal HP (since everyone has the same hp in 6) will be a threat.

Played the demo, and,
you guys- I don't know if modern fighting games are for me. The damn analog stick doesn't.. do the thing I need it to. I don't know how to explain but like I go forward down forward punch to do a dragon punch and my Ryu just hops up like a tool.
Understand that the dragon punch and haduken movements are ingrained in my muscle memory from childhood. I did that at the arcade and the SNES effortlessly.
And now I remember having this problem when I tried Mortal Kombat... 10? maybe it was?... I dunno, something about using a controller with these games, it's not feeling good. My left hand hurt after an hour.

But, you know, except for how I seem to be inherently allergic to these games now or some shit, it's great! The demo gives you Ryu, the old "default" guy, and Luke, the new "default" guy. And it's clever, they make the former more of a distance/defensive player and the latter more of an offensive player, though they have the same input controls and move sets just different enough to encourage different strategies which is the right way to do it. And I wonder if making Luke the offensive guy is a way to promote him to popularity.

The demo also lets you create a character and play the intro for the world tour mode and, yeah, it's exactly what I suspected, that awkward JRPG style of dialogue and quest assignment from like Genshin Impact or whatever and, blech. I do like the idea of getting and choosing different moves from different characters, that could be kinda fun to mess around with, perhaps to battle against friends who have done similar and see that happens?

So I'm really on the fence about it now, but it's more about fighting games in general. I mean if I'm gonna get into a fighting it'll be this, I just am afraid of triggering osteoporisis or something. There is an open beta next weekend and I do plan to to give that a shot, schedule and connectivity willing.
You wanna play with the Dpad, not with the joystick. That's the biggest thing.

Arcade stick controllers have this thing called a gate which is an octagon that goes around the stick and has sensory feedback when you hit a corner so you can feel it out when you've gone to downback or to back, and it also makes a clicking sound which acts as a sound cue for the same, whereas pad sticks don't have that, so they're not intended to be used for fighters. Also for an arcade stick you use your entire arm and wrist, not just your thumb, so you have a lot more speed and power you work with to do those inputs, so trying to reproduce that with just your thumb is gonna be harder too. Some people do do it, but they tend to be people who just learned to play that way and adapted but don't know how to play in any other way. If you are already used to a different method of play it will feel bad.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
You wanna play with the Dpad, not with the joystick. That's the biggest thing.

Arcade stick controllers have this thing called a gate which is an octagon that goes around the stick and has sensory feedback when you hit a corner so you can feel it out when you've gone to downback or to back, and it also makes a clicking sound which acts as a sound cue for the same, whereas pad sticks don't have that, so they're not intended to be used for fighters. Also for an arcade stick you use your entire arm and wrist, not just your thumb, so you have a lot more speed and power you work with to do those inputs, so trying to reproduce that with just your thumb is gonna be harder too. Some people do do it, but they tend to be people who just learned to play that way and adapted but don't know how to play in any other way. If you are already used to a different method of play it will feel bad.
Ok that explains what I was feeling in my gut and fingers, thanks for laying it out.
I was doing a bit more reading about it and the consensus seems to be that the PS5's dualsense is one of the worst controllers for fighting games because of the d-pad's input feel, while the XBox d-pad is praised. So when I tried using the XBox d-pad, my problem was where it is placed, below the joystick, and between that and having heavy attacks on the bumpers (which of course applies to all regular modern controllers), that's just all wrong to me. Which is why the fight controller is the logical move for me.

So and update on my little plans, which I'm sure is so riveting lol...
The PS5 will be back in my living room this weekend, and I ordered the fight controller. But also I won't have access to the TV on Sunday. So I don't know if I'll get to play the beta and if I do for how much. But I'm already set on buying the game.

As for characters- Ken looks so badass to me. And the cool thing is that he was one my mains back in the SF2 days. And when I dabbled with 4 or 5, I like that they gave him firey dragon punches. And I guess they're going for this vibe that while he and Ryu have basically the same moves, Ken is more angry and reckless as the angry American, and I'm here for it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And I guess they're going for this vibe that while he and Ryu have basically the same moves, Ken is more angry and reckless as the angry American, and I'm here for it.
Technically Alex was the reckless, angry American. Though he chilled out by 3rd Strike. There's also Abigail. Before them it was Guile in SF II during his revenge streak. Ken was and still is hot blooded and the red oni to Ryu.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Ok that explains what I was feeling in my gut and fingers, thanks for laying it out.
I was doing a bit more reading about it and the consensus seems to be that the PS5's dualsense is one of the worst controllers for fighting games because of the d-pad's input feel, while the XBox d-pad is praised. So when I tried using the XBox d-pad, my problem was where it is placed, below the joystick, and between that and having heavy attacks on the bumpers (which of course applies to all regular modern controllers), that's just all wrong to me. Which is why the fight controller is the logical move for me.

So and update on my little plans, which I'm sure is so riveting lol...
The PS5 will be back in my living room this weekend, and I ordered the fight controller. But also I won't have access to the TV on Sunday. So I don't know if I'll get to play the beta and if I do for how much. But I'm already set on buying the game.

As for characters- Ken looks so badass to me. And the cool thing is that he was one my mains back in the SF2 days. And when I dabbled with 4 or 5, I like that they gave him firey dragon punches. And I guess they're going for this vibe that while he and Ryu have basically the same moves, Ken is more angry and reckless as the angry American, and I'm here for it.
This is the most fleshed out Ken, where he has a ton of unique moves, so yeah he's really cool and actually the most distinct from Ryu he's ever been. The way I see em, Ryu is more of a mid-range char who is fine with poking from around two char lengths and confirming pokes into stuff, whereas this time around especially Ken wants to be super in your face and all his tools let him do that. And in this game thanks to the parry system it seems fireball zoning won't be as good (kinda like in 3S) as close up pressure so yeah going with Ken is good. My boi Jamie is basically an all in your face brawler too, only he makes em come to him cause if you try to zone him he gets free drinks and goes super saiyan for free (something which costs 2 meters to do normally without having to land hits or outplay your foe).

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Playing the demo recently has me excited, I'm really looking forward to it and for the first time, so is my partner. The modern controls are going to help so many people who are intimidated by fighting games get into, and the more the merrier. Fighting games do well, but are still kind of niche in the grand scheme of things.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Playing the demo recently has me excited, I'm really looking forward to it and for the first time, so is my partner. The modern controls are going to help so many people who are intimidated by fighting games get into, and the more the merrier. Fighting games do well, but are still kind of niche in the grand scheme of things.
The demo was surprisingly generous by letting you vs the lvl 8 CPU as much as you want. I must have put a good 10 hours in that thing. And I don't even have a char I wanna play yet lol.

Modern controls are a potential issue with chars not in the demo, like Zangief, since if you can do a walking 360 at the press of a button that may be all kinds of busted, but either way, that's gonna be something to adjust to. I will laugh if evo finals is modern zangief mirrors though. (here's hoping Jamie is the counterpick XD)

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
The demo was surprisingly generous by letting you vs the lvl 8 CPU as much as you want. I must have put a good 10 hours in that thing. And I don't even have a char I wanna play yet lol.

Modern controls are a potential issue with chars not in the demo, like Zangief, since if you can do a walking 360 at the press of a button that may be all kinds of busted, but either way, that's gonna be something to adjust to. I will laugh if evo finals is modern zangief mirrors though. (here's hoping Jamie is the counterpick XD)
Yeah, I was surprised at the how much they allowed too.

The thing about modern though, is you won't have access to a characters full kit, so I think the trade off is okay. I doubt anything but classic controls will be allowed in most tournaments etc anyways.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yeah, I was surprised at the how much they allowed too.

The thing about modern though, is you won't have access to a characters full kit, so I think the trade off is okay. I doubt anything but classic controls will be allowed in most tournaments etc anyways.
Turns out if you do modern inputs you get a 20% damage nerf, which I guess is fair. You still can do normal motions even in modern though, so I guess they're intending the mode as a sort of training wheels thing which lets you get used to playing with motions at your own pace. I like that concept of modern being something you grow out of when you're ready.

Of course not with Zangief though. :p

Reactions: chozo_hybrid

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Oh boy am I struggling to consistently input special moves... even with the fight controller. I mean, still much better than regular controllers but, yeesh, I suck at this.
I'm also very mixed so far on the whole drive impact/drive rush thing. Those things can be so powerful that my entire focus is on the new meters. I'm sure it takes getting used to but it's equal parts cool and frustrating.
Spending a few hours with the beta has made me look forward to the long-term potential of the game but a little less enthusiastic about jumping in and dedicating the kind of time and patiece to git gud. Of course that's where arcade modes will come in with the full game. Just don't know if I'm gonna by on release or what a bit.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Oh boy am I struggling to consistently input special moves... even with the fight controller. I mean, still much better than regular controllers but, yeesh, I suck at this.
I'm also very mixed so far on the whole drive impact/drive rush thing. Those things can be so powerful that my entire focus is on the new meters. I'm sure it takes getting used to but it's equal parts cool and frustrating.
Spending a few hours with the beta has made me look forward to the long-term potential of the game but a little less enthusiastic about jumping in and dedicating the kind of time and patiece to git gud. Of course that's where arcade modes will come in with the full game. Just don't know if I'm gonna by on release or what a bit.
Drive impact you have to bait by doing special cancellable buttons that are + on block at the start of your pressure and "feeling out" your opponent's tendencies. You have to be ready to react with your own if they mash it through your strings. If you're fighting the Ai though that shit reads your inputs so don't worry about getting hit there. Oh and grabs, grabs go through impact so pressure that involves a lot of grabs will make folks hesitant to mash through it, so you have to condition your foes to stop mashing like usual basically.

Drive rush, yeah, that's strong. Real strong. Every button gets more + frames and juggles. Rush is where the main meat of combos and pressure is, and doing the raw rush where it uses 1 bar midcombo is so efficient it's ridiculous. I saw this one combo where Ryu did raw rush standing jab 5 times in a row and it all comboed. Super disrespectful lmao.

As for inputs, yeah, git gud. You know the drill. Just practice a bunch and you'll get it for sure.

A big thing is that blocking is real bad in this game, since you lose drive meter, so sometimes just doing blockstrings with the purpose of burning out your foe can be the thing to go for. It's really fun to see someone go from confidently trying to block everything to being stuck burned out in the corner with no meter and no invincibility. Also keep in mind, if you're burned out, frame data changes, everything does more blockstun to you now, so you really don't wanna burn out when you're on the defensive.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not gonna lie, these girls are the only reason im even considering playing SF6.
I'm here for them too, but what I'm really looking forward to are the new characters. Kimberly especially. My other hope is that for seasons 2 and 3, they bring back the Final Fight characters, and the other characters from Street Fighter 3 aged up. Carlos Miyamoto (Final Fight 2) and Damnd (Final Fight) show up as an optional fight, and a story line fight respectively. As seen in the new story launch trailer showing Damnd.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
If they bring back any of the sf5 guests I'd love Akira from rival schools, now that's a fun char alright.