Street Fighter VI - 3rd Strike Times Two.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So the day is here, 9pm pst is when the game unlocks. We should get together and have some games.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So the day is here, 9pm pst is when the game unlocks. We should get together and have some games.
For sure. Perhaps we could take advantage of the club system?
Man there are so many features I'm not used to I will need to spend the weekend just getting my bearings.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
For sure. Perhaps we could take advantage of the club system?
Man there are so many features I'm not used to I will need to spend the weekend just getting my bearings.
Haha I don't even know what that is, been neck deep in analyzing mechanics and tech. But yeah this will be a long term project for sure.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I hear that's great too! Have fun, and hope Shodan doesn't kill ya too much!
It starts deceptively easy but once you reach the suicide drones you have to start watching your health.

Reactions: BrawlMan

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
So my physical copy hasn't been delivered, and now probably won't until Tuesday due to a public holiday on Monday where I am. So have fun, I will hopefully be able to join all of you World Warriors soon!

In the meantime, here's a vid by Justin Wong:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So my physical copy hasn't been delivered, and now probably won't until Tuesday due to a public holiday on Monday where I am. So have fun, I will hopefully be able to join all of you World Warriors soon!

In the meantime, here's a vid by Justin Wong:
I'll be picking my copy up from GameStop after work today. Good luck, hope your copy comes in early if possible, and have a fun.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
If I ever play this it’d probably have to be with a character that uses charged attacks. Last one I played was 4 and for the life of me even in practice mode I could not pull off specials with the zig zag, 5/8 circle etc. inputs on a dpad. Don’t even get me started trying to use the stick.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So here's my first piece of Jamie swag:

Fun char is fun.

If I ever play this it’d probably have to be with a character that uses charged attacks. Last one I played was 4 and for the life of me even in practice mode I could not pull off specials with the zig zag, 5/8 circle etc. inputs on a dpad. Don’t even get me started trying to use the stick.
In 6 there are no pure charge chars, some are a mix, some specials done normally some with charges. 4 was a lot harder though, more tight timing, this game feels pretty easy so far.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok I got it, started playin' it today. Here are very very initial first impressions. Like, obvy, day 1, you know:
I decided to just start with Ken. Love Ken from back in the day. I'll just stick with him until I get bored.
First I went into Fighting Grounds and did a few tutorials. There are so many!
Then I visited the Battle Hub and sure, created the avatar (I don't have patience or interest in character creation, I just kept clicking "Randomize All" until I get an old black lady and went with that), had a couple of rando matches.
Then I figured since I already created the avatar to go into World Tour and speed through the opening chapters, which I did during the demo.
During this process I realized I can't use the fight controller to move around in 3D space but the game does support two controllers for this purpose. But it insists in online play that you stick with the same controller... it's all a bit confusing, I dunno, but yeah it means I need two controllers to play World Tour lol.

I did the arcade for Ken- you can chooses how many matches that entails, I stuck with the default 5 because, you know, I'm just samping for now and I was able to beat the final guy JP in the second try. I think the game adjusts difficulty for you to let you beat these little campaigns. I'm thinking this is a good groove to get into a character- tutorial/trainings to get the hang of it, arcade for practice and "story."

Training mode is the most complicated part of the game and oddly enough where I've had frustration so far. Like I want to learn combos, but the instructions will be like "press these buttons after doing these two other attacks" and I do those attacks and the opponent collapses on the ground so I can't hit him no more. Then you can have it show you how it looks when it's correct but it doesn't specify the inputs enough to tell me what exactly I did wrong. Or I don't understand the tutorial options.. so it's like I'm fighting my own incompetence and a clunky UI. I really hope I figure this stuff out because this looks to be the biggest potential pain point.

Then I tried ranked matches and that... guys, that is awesome! You just sit there and the computers feed you opponents and it's exhilarating! I don't understand how it all works exactly but it looked like it was going to judge me on 10 matches, and that's all I did so far. My performance went like this: I fought a Ryu like 3 or 4 times and he f'ing kicked my ass. He used patience and defense and I didn't know what to do about it. This is exactly the kind of thing ya gotta get good at in this game!
And I beat everybody else. I mean you can just tell who is new to this, who's coming with a few moves of combos they know and that's it. It's also interesting that so far people are playing into the characters they pick. My Cammy, Luke, and Chun Li opponents flew at me legs and fury and I was able to employ enough dragon punches and drive impacts to fend them off, techniques that would be laughable to a really good player I know but like my suck was less suck than their suck.

Apparently this was good enough to make me Bronze, whatever that means.

As for Ken, the most pleasant surprise is his kick moves. Like if you do a dragon punch he flies at the opponent with cool drop kick thingy. Unfortunately that hasn't actually worked in combat yet but.. eh.

I think despite what I said before I'm gonna advance on World Tour sooner rather than later. I am still a gamer who likes to progress through some sort of "story" even one as lame as this but also perhaps it will offer more tutorial settings, and getting to learn moves from across characters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think despite what I said before I'm gonna advance on World Tour sooner rather than later.
YES! EMBRACE YOUR INNER STREET FIGHTER! EMBRACE CAPCOM'S GIFTS! EMBRACE THEM!

Be the Street Fighter we're all meant to be!

I am still a gamer who likes to progress through some sort of "story" even one as cool lame as this but also perhaps it will offer more tutorial settings, and getting to learn moves from across characters.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of Metro City, and other places you'll be visiting. WT Mode is basically one big love letter to all SF fans and Final Fight fans.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played some SF6 Arcade Mode with Kim for the first time. I am loving this character! She plays like a combination of Guy, Maki, and Ibuki, but clearly has her own style and move set. Though obviously, she takes after Guy the most. World Tour Mode I'll try tomorrow after the movie theater. Too tired tonight.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I put like 8 hours in day 1 grinding matches in the battle hub. Lost mainly to grapplers cause my combos aren't there yet but their grabs do max damage from day 1 XD.

This feels different from the airdashers I'm used to, but it's fun and learning a new style is great. Thankfully my Granblue Versus experience is coming through and I know not to jump too much like a fool XD.

Training mode is the most complicated part of the game and oddly enough where I've had frustration so far. Like I want to learn combos, but the instructions will be like "press these buttons after doing these two other attacks" and I do those attacks and the opponent collapses on the ground so I can't hit him no more. Then you can have it show you how it looks when it's correct but it doesn't specify the inputs enough to tell me what exactly I did wrong. Or I don't understand the tutorial options.. so it's like I'm fighting my own incompetence and a clunky UI. I really hope I figure this stuff out because this looks to be the biggest potential pain point.
Ok so a very simple way of explaining combos: if you do the input and nothing comes out, you're hitting it too soon, if you do the input and it doesn't combo (they have fallen already or something else has happened and they either get reset into a new combo or block or whatever) that means you did the input too late. In your description it sounds like you did the input too late. Use this basic idea to figure out what you're doing wrong and calibrate your inputs. Also keep in mind that the harder combos are for people with tons of experience and it is normal to take literal hours sitting there trying to do it if you're new, so don't feel frustrated by that. It's part of the process.

What I did before touching the combo trials was do basic training mode for like 2 hours straight and get my bearings, which made it go much smoother, and I'm already experienced.

Then I tried ranked matches and that... guys, that is awesome! You just sit there and the computers feed you opponents and it's exhilarating! I don't understand how it all works exactly but it looked like it was going to judge me on 10 matches, and that's all I did so far. My performance went like this: I fought a Ryu like 3 or 4 times and he f'ing kicked my ass. He used patience and defense and I didn't know what to do about it. This is exactly the kind of thing ya gotta get good at in this game!
And I beat everybody else. I mean you can just tell who is new to this, who's coming with a few moves of combos they know and that's it. It's also interesting that so far people are playing into the characters they pick. My Cammy, Luke, and Chun Li opponents flew at me legs and fury and I was able to employ enough dragon punches and drive impacts to fend them off, techniques that would be laughable to a really good player I know but like my suck was less suck than their suck.

Apparently this was good enough to make me Bronze, whatever that means.
Basically there's a bunch of others sitting there like you are, looking for fights, and it matchmakes you, it's the same thing that finds teammates for you in an FPS or something, same idea. If you want to have longer sets with the same person you can try the battle hub too, it's what I did cause I don't know any matchups. I fought this one Manon for like 35 games straight. Fun times.

If someone's defending all day, you throw them or you do overheads. You know those rekka kicks Ken has where the final kick is either a low stomp or a high heel drop, the heel drop is an overhead, and if you do the ex one you can super after it too. Use those and throws when someone seems to be blocking everything.

Bronze is the starter rank, it goes to silver gold diamond master and who knows what else. You get points for winning ranked matches and lose em for losing and if you get enough you move to the new tier of rank.

As for Ken, the most pleasant surprise is his kick moves. Like if you do a dragon punch he flies at the opponent with cool drop kick thingy. Unfortunately that hasn't actually worked in combat yet but.. eh.

I think despite what I said before I'm gonna advance on World Tour sooner rather than later. I am still a gamer who likes to progress through some sort of "story" even one as lame as this but also perhaps it will offer more tutorial settings, and getting to learn moves from across characters.
The higher strength drop kick thingy is + on block meaning it's still your turn if you get em to block it, it's basically the cornerstone of Ken's pressure cause he gets to steal his turn back with it, and the EX one you can do shoryu after and it also switches sides if comboed into so you can corner someone who has cornered you, nasty move.

WT lets you unlock costumes and artworks so yeah it's worth it. My first custom char was 2B btw :p.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
New day, new original combo!

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Haven't got it yet, but I hear Chun-Li's not so good in this game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I
This is new. First I have heard about it. I'll take what they with a grain of salt. I'm sure it's only is good, but she's not as good as her Third Strike carnation are what people are probably comparing towards.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
She's very technical, prolly will take some time before people can do the good stuff with her.