Strongest and weakest female characters of all time?

banthesun

Apr 15, 2009
teh 1 wit big tits guys

but seriously
Lyn from Fire Emblem, she's interesting and not cliched, but when it comes down to it she cuts everyone apart
Princess Peach, not only is she always having to be saved, but she has absolutely no personality.

Also, it might be interesting to have a look at Fable. All the marriable women are one dimensional characters (when they even have character), while all the non-marriable women are all capable heroes with their own backstories ect

chinese_democracy said:
The3Apocalypses said:
chinese_democracy said:
The3Apocalypses said:
Weak- Zelda - has she ever done anything, really, other than give you a couple of arrows?
Got Shiek? /faceslap
Wow...cannot believe I completely forgot that part of the game...faceslap indeed (although didn't she just teach you music?)
its been a few years since i played the game but if i remember correctly she basically served as an omniscient guide/guardian.
I believe at one point she saves link from that darkness/well monster, but I can't really remember either

EDIT: completely forgot about Ashley. Dear god...

Clyde

Aug 12, 2009
badgersprite said:
Strongest female character? Sarah Kerrigan from StarCraft. She's the most powerful psychic in the human army, gets captured and infested by the Overmind, and then becomes the Queen of the Zerg after the Overmind is destroyed. Hands down, the Queen of Blades isn't just one of the most awesome female characters of all time, she's also one of the most awesome 'villains' of all time. She's great.

Weakest female character? ...I'm tempted to say Princess Peach. For sheer ubiquity alone, and for being the quintessential damsel in distress of all video games. She never does anything. She's just a plot device with legs. There's nothing...human there to redeem her. I mean, at least Zelda had the chuff to save herself once...
I, dear sir, beg to differ. Super Princess Peach DS

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
twistkick said:
whiteblood said:
The strongest: ...Yue Ying from Dynasty Warriors.../quote]

I really love Yue Ying, although I think she's a bit weakened in Dynasy Warriors 6. It does bother me that her storyline revolves solely around her husband... like most DW women... but there's really not much alternative besides totally making crap up (ahem, cough cough, Diao Chan)
Yue ying? Bleh. I prefer Zhen Ji (Not because she looks hotter, she's just a better character IMO) out of all the female DW characters. At least she's a better female character than Zhang He (Ba-dum tish, DW joke!).

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
You expect me to know every female character in video games? Certainly, you jest, kind sir!

In reality, there is no 'strongest' female character of all time. Gaming has yet to come up with a character that really personifies 'strong female'. We have characters that are female and strong, though, which isn't quite the same thing. Almost every female character in video game history has some kind of redeeming quality. Strong doesn't equal ass-kicking.

Just because a chick can shoot a gun doesn't make her strong as a character. Samus is strong, yes, and she's female, but she's utterly forgettable and lacks a personality. Chell falls into this same category. Sure, they could both very well be considered strong females if they were personified by more than dead silence.

Zelda's arguably a strong female character. She's the princess of a crumbling kingdom that does not run away from her duties, despite having to rely on her male counterpart to do all her dirty work for her. She could abandon her situation, but she doesn't in favor of saving the kingdom/world/not saving the kingdom because the KoRL is a jerk. She never quite takes control of her situation, but she puts effort into it.

In other words, you're all winners at the Space Olympics!

Shadowhatchi

Apr 14, 2009
....Hello!? Did the witch from Left 4 Dead not pop into anyone's head? She is by far the strongest female character. Oh and of course Medusa from Soul Eater not a game but still a character, ironicly also a witch.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
I'd say Colette (I think that was her name) from Tales of Symphonia is the definition of failure. All she can do is get kidnapped, get cursed, and generally make everything worse for everyone around her.
You better hope NeutralDrow never reads that.

Because I'm unoriginal, I'd say Samus is one of the strongest. As for weak ones, Princess Peach gets kidnapped constantly. I wouldn't say weakest, though, since she's in the sports games and does stuff on occasion.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Clyde said:
badgersprite said:
Strongest female character? Sarah Kerrigan from StarCraft. She's the most powerful psychic in the human army, gets captured and infested by the Overmind, and then becomes the Queen of the Zerg after the Overmind is destroyed. Hands down, the Queen of Blades isn't just one of the most awesome female characters of all time, she's also one of the most awesome 'villains' of all time. She's great.

Weakest female character? ...I'm tempted to say Princess Peach. For sheer ubiquity alone, and for being the quintessential damsel in distress of all video games. She never does anything. She's just a plot device with legs. There's nothing...human there to redeem her. I mean, at least Zelda had the chuff to save herself once...
I, dear sir, beg to differ. Super Princess Peach DS
"Say, 'Yes, sir Mazoga,'"

Sorry, I have compulsive quoting habits.

Alright, so I'll concede that she may actually do something, but that doesn't necessarily redeem her in my eyes. I mean, Lara Croft goes around in her supervillainous, animal-murdering pillage-fests, but I would still call her a weak female character.

...Actually, I would like Lara Croft more if they acknowledged her as a supervillain, because at least then she'd actually have a personality instead of just being a cardboard cutout generic-o-thon of a character with a crudely drawn of a pair of milkduds pinned onto the front.

blackhandops

Aug 6, 2009
Soushi said:
Strongest: i would have to say that Sheik from the Zelda franchise
Weakest: Princess peach... from any universe or franchise or game or mensa society meeting.
i agree with the peach part how many times can you get kidnapped by the SAME GUY get rescued just be kidnapped for what seems to be a week later

Giest118

Mar 23, 2009
Strong: Y'know Japanese RPGs? The female characters in those are pretty strong. Certainly, there ARE exceptions, and yeah, a large number of them are dressed sluttily. But, as characters, they're strong.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
blackhandops said:
Soushi said:
Strongest: i would have to say that Sheik from the Zelda franchise
Weakest: Princess peach... from any universe or franchise or game or mensa society meeting.
i agree with the peach part how many times can you get kidnapped by the SAME GUY get rescued just be kidnapped for what seems to be a week later
because that is what their jobs are:
Get Kidnapped by bowser (peach)
Kidnap Peach (Bowser)
kick Bowser's ass, then fail to hump peach despite being in the right place at the right time (Mario)

the company vacations are the mario sports games.

they all hated SMRPG because no one was getting paid, and they still had to kick other poeple's asses

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
For strongest I'd say Samus from Metroid (and apparently so do a lot of other people)

For weakest I'd say it's a tie between Princess Toadstool and... that chick from Star Ocean Last Hope.

ED: Reimi Saionji!

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
badgersprite said:

/thread

the only reason why zelda has yet to continue saving herself is because Gannondorf knows to keep her in stasis now. that, or she doesnt even know who she is.

Zallest

Sep 25, 2008
Chun li would be my favorite strong chick, she was my favorite to play in Street fighter next to Sakura and her annoying dash attack.

Weakest? of course you have to go with Princess Peach! Always getting captured and even in game that she can fight in like Brawl, she has such sissy attacks! Smacking you with her butt, hitting you with a frying pan, throwing vegetables at you, and pulling toad out of her cooter to act as a meat shield. Mario should just SHORYUKEN! her and GB2 Kitchen amirite?

Zaleznikel

Sep 3, 2008
Strongest: April Ryan. Not surprising that The Longest Journey is my favorite game ever, no? In TLJ, she doesn't have/need physical strength. She's very resilient, resourceful, and genuinely good. She takes her entire journey so well, especially the end. I wish she hadn't gotten so mopey in the sequel. Forget Dreamfall!

Weakest: Yorda (ICO), but I still love her.

Azraellod

Dec 23, 2008
Strongest: Princess Katia from Lost Kingdoms. She kills a freaking god.

Weakest: Peach. So she saved Mario once. She's still utterly pathetic most of the time.

ccdistancerunner

Sep 11, 2008
banthesun said:
teh 1 wit big tits guys

but seriously
Lyn from Fire Emblem, she's interesting and not cliched, but when it comes down to it she cuts everyone apart
Princess Peach, not only is she always having to be saved, but she has absolutely no personality.

Also, it might be interesting to have a look at Fable. All the marriable women are one dimensional characters (when they even have character), while all the non-marriable women are all capable heroes with their own backstories ect

chinese_democracy said:
The3Apocalypses said:
chinese_democracy said:
The3Apocalypses said:
Weak- Zelda - has she ever done anything, really, other than give you a couple of arrows?
Got Shiek? /faceslap
Wow...cannot believe I completely forgot that part of the game...faceslap indeed (although didn't she just teach you music?)
its been a few years since i played the game but if i remember correctly she basically served as an omniscient guide/guardian.
I believe at one point she saves link from that darkness/well monster, but I can't really remember either

EDIT: completely forgot about Ashley. Dear god...
Lyn is a good answer. The old chick from KOTOR too for strongest.
Weakest would be Cortana from Halo. She is a computer who tells you what to do and how to, but never does any dirty work. Besides a sex symbol, she could be eliminated from the series and it would be the same.