Study Finds Girl Gamers Are Seriously Hardcore

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Ok, so some women clock in more hours on a single MMORPG, that doesn't mean we're more 'hardcore' than men. Why do I even read these studies anymore?

Also, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I wish the emphasis on "female gamers" would stop. It's not like we deserve special attention or anything.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I've only known one "girl gamer" ever and she was so hooked on World Of Warcraft, it was shocking. She'd just play it for hours upon hours after I had gotten bored of it for the evening. Then again, she so swore on World Of Warcraft she hated EVERY other game. No matter what it was.

Oh, and for the record, she wasn't even remotely ugly. Although she did have OCD to the point where she had to be on tranquillisers for a while...

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Well diddle my dog.

It's a shame I've never met any 'hardcore' girl gamers.
Infact, it's a shame I've never met any girl gamers.
To go beyond that, it's a shame I've never met any girls.
Most saddening of all is that it's a shame I've never met...

Perhaps they shouldn't base these surveys on one game. Doing it on achievements might be better. I mean, what are achievements for? Showing off? Compaing? Then use them to compare, Mr. Survey Man.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
UltimatheChosen said:
It makes sense, I suppose. To some extent, there's a social stigma associated with being a girl gamer, so only the ones who really like gaming would stick with it, as opposed to just being casual gamers.

That's my theory, anyways.
That's what I always think. Most guys out there can pick up a game, it's just sort of a thing. But if a woman does it, they're going to do it right!

Think of it backwards; You would expect most... Uh... drawing a blank. What is something that most women do as a small hobby that, when a man does it, the man puts all their heart into it?

I'd say cooking/baking, but a lot of guys do that, and poorly. And I just can't think of anything else...

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
i dont know why this article makes me so sad. it might be because this study proves that we are going to be even more marketable in the future. nobody cares what gender someone is who plays a game, except for those who try to make money off of people who are "hardcore gamers."

This isn't supposed to be becoming mainstream!

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Really 51 hours? at the top? That is like, weak. I think I play 70+ hours a week. Literally, half of my week is spent on video games. The other half is spent on sleeping.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
But they only "polled" one game. They'd need more sources to make a claim for it, I think.

wilted_orchid

Aug 11, 2009
BaldursBananaSoap said:
I wonder what they look like
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

OP: I'm a female gamer, but I wouldn't say I'm "Hardcore". I'm pretty sure I don't wanna be, though.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
This just in:

...Studies show that studies on anything are completely non sequitur and unimportant to anyone.

Now here's Bob with the weather.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Yeah...I don't see it happening.

Plus there are...No girl gamers...It's a myth, from the internet...Okay, fine, I've seen a COUPLE of female gamers on this website, but not met a single female who would touch anything other then something on the wii, not a single one. (Then again I am still in my teenyears, but that theory that casual gaming opens up to hardcore is a load of BS, IMO.)

Sorry for ranty rant...I just wish there were more female nerds. -Sigh and emos-

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Wait... someone just related Everquest and skill in the same sentence? How do I get back to my universe, please?

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Studies also find that we investigate useless polls instead of curing cancer.

If only that would be a headline, for once <.<