Study Finds Girl Gamers Are Seriously Hardcore

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
GodsClown said:
Really 51 hours? at the top? That is like, weak. I think I play 70+ hours a week. Literally, half of my week is spent on video games. The other half is spent on sleeping.
Go you?

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
BaldursBananaSoap said:
I wonder what they look like
BOOMER!!! Look Out!

OT: This is a bit sensationalized they only surveyed one game then again the Escapist sensationalizes a lot of stories so I should'nt be surprised.

wkim564

Sep 21, 2009
machineiv said:
BaldursBananaSoap said:
It's a good thing there's no hostility out there to drive women away from gaming.
This is a scary picture. Also its resemblence to the female boomer is astounding

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
That doesnt show that the women gamers are more hardcore. It shows that the Everquest male gamers are just panzies. Lets take the elephant in the room here: WoW. I know from personal experience that a male gamer will invest idiotic, uncalled for, yet satisfying amounts of hours into that game. Females, while they may do the same, I doubt do it as "hardcore" as the males.

Apr 28, 2008
AndyRock said:
I reckon about half of them will be men pretending to be women
Half of them are men pretending to be women.

In my entire life playing games, out of all of the hundreds of people I've encountered online, only about 10 people I met are actually women, compared to the thousands upon thousands pretending.

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
I don't think this study reflects the majority of the gaming populace. What the heck does hardcore mean anyway? I mean as far as I can tell, from a study conducted on one game that the majority of female players tend to spend more time on it.

I don't really see how this makes "girl gamers actually more hardcore than the boys". I could understand "Female everquest players tend to spend more time playing everquest than males".

But, unless the definition of hardcore is "spending more time on everquest 2" I don't understand it.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
What's with the Samus screenshot? It is because Samus is a girl or something? HUH?!

You think you'd use something like this:
That picture is......surprisingly accurate.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
I have yet to meet a girl that is a hardcore gamer like this article suggests.

(then again I don't know any girl gamers to start with)

DC1

Jun 8, 2009
Suiseiseki IRL said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
What's with the Samus screenshot? It is because Samus is a girl or something? HUH?!

You think you'd use something like this:
That picture is......surprisingly accurate.
She's hot.

Singularly Datarific said:
BaldursBananaSoap said:
Oh Go- THE HORROR!
On the other hand, I feel a bit less ostracized...
She's not.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
It's funny, I never considered 'amount of time played' all that important when defining 'hardcore-ness'.

I play WoW. One of my friend's girlfriend plays WoW. She probably plays at least 10 more hours I week than I do. But I'm the guild leader of a raiding guild who has everything on farm and who has been doing hardmodes, going for achievements, etc.

Meanwhile, she's in what I'd call a 'casual' guild, barely even clearing the first Tier of raiding instance (of which they are now 4) and who spends more time collecting pets, mounts and various vanity items. Yes, she plays a lot... but she's essentially acting as as if it was a single player game. Shamu's recent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/6921-Experienced-Points-Massively-Single-Player-Part-1] article really speaks about people like her.

Now while I don't pride myself in being an hardcore gamer (More like I'm addicted to WoW), I definitely don't think she is an hardcore gamer either. Time played plays a factor, but so does what you actually do with the game. You can have a rather elabortate discussion about Warlock class mechanics (the class shes plays 40hours+ a week) and she has no idea what you're talking about... Her talents are terrible, she's gemmed poorly, she has no idea what kind of stats to go for - in short, she's a noobs who plays 40 hours+ a week. I'm not saying all 'hardcore' girl gamers are like her but this research would consider her an 'hardcore gamer'.

Not to mention that it's one thing to do this study on a MMORPG, but what about fps, rts, etc?

Not enough information to draw a conclusion really. I suppose it's kinda fun to say 'girlz can be hardc0re too!' thought.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
I am enjoying the results of this study.

I definitely spend more time playing video games than my boyfriend, and I'm not even playing an MMO right now. Of course, he has other hobbies. I don't even play online, so it isn't for the social interaction. I just have no life.

Just kidding, video games totally counts as a life.