Things I believe in that probably don't exist:

Elves. They're in the forests. Waiting.

The Force.

Tron Bonne.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
RevRaptor said:
interspark said:
Fairies, Unicorns, Dragons, Griffons, Centaurs, any animal or thing that has never been confirmed to exist but you believe does,

personally, I think Krakons exist, I think the sea is easily big enough for there to be something huge down there that we haven't spotted yet, and let's not forget that there are depths of the ocean that humans can never reach but creatures as big as blue whales venture to daily. Also I think that, by the power of statistics, no-one can logically deny the existance of aliens

so what about you?
And you would be right.
The kraken was declared a real species. It was named the giant squid. The giant squid remains one of the most elusive large animals in the world. For many years, scientists tried to observe the giant squid in its habitat, but failed. Many people claimed to have seen giant squids, but they were mostly fishermen and sailors, the same people who are not believed when they report sea serpents. Every live sighting was unconfirmed and in each case the witness was not a scientist. Scientists spent millions of dollars on expeditions, but could not obtain video footage of a live squid. Everything that was known about giant squids was based on dead bodies. All expeditions into deep water in search of the natural habitat of giant squids had proved fruitless. The giant squid still had much in common with mythical creatures and true cryptids, even though the scientific community no longer had any doubt that giant squids exist.

In September of 2004, that finally changed. Japanese scientists attracted a giant squid with a baited line, and automatic cameras took more than 500 photographs of the giant squid before it ripped itself free, leaving an 18-foot length of tentacle still attached to the bait.

There is still doubt about just how big giant squids get. Both eyewitness sightings and sucker scars on sperm whales seem to indicate that there are squids much bigger than any dead body we currently have. Most scientists refuse to believe that squids that huge could exist. Is there more than one species of giant squid out there, with one of them being really, really huge? Are the giant squids that have been netted near the surface or that have washed up on beaches the smaller ones?

Scepticism towards the idea of truly huge squids has weakened recently. Now, scientists think that the Antarctic species of squid called Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni actually grows much bigger than the giant squid. They don't have proof of this yet, as the only complete specimens of Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni have been juveniles, but the size of these babies suggests that really big adults are out there. In recognition of this, Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni has recently been given the common name of "colossal squid."
This entire thing is so fucking cool. I can't imagine some of the shit this is at the bottom of the ocean. The pictures we've seen of just some of the things are just creepy and there could be so much more. I can't wait until we can explore the bottom of the ocean easily.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I like to think Krakens are real as well. It seems possible given the sheer size of the seas and oceans. I also firmly believe in extraterrestrial life; although it's never been proven, I believe it's almost impossible that, given the size of the universe, we're all alone. I also believe in ghosts for absolutely no reason other than my imagination running wild

HasimirFenring

Mar 29, 2009
I believe in 2012, does that count? or at least I hope something's going to happen in 2012, though probably the only thing that will happen is a power outage or something silly like that.

Rory Gallagher

Dec 18, 2010
Sasquatch, due to the fact that Gorilla Man from Agents of Atlas said it was him. Now we just have to prove his existence...

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
interspark said:
Fairies, Unicorns, Dragons, Griffons, Centaurs, any animal or thing that has never been confirmed to exist but you believe does,

personally, I think Krakons exist, I think the sea is easily big enough for there to be something huge down there that we haven't spotted yet, and let's not forget that there are depths of the ocean that humans can never reach but creatures as big as blue whales venture to daily. Also I think that, by the power of statistics, no-one can logically deny the existance of aliens

so what about you?
YEah, aliens exist. No doubt. there no way that in a infinitely expanding universe there isn't. However, if someone tries to tell me aliens have already visited earth, thats just bullshit.
First contact with a species, if it is as important to them, even marginally so,as it is to us, it is the most momentous occasion in all of collective history for those species involved, and I don't think another civilization would put it off for fucking around with our cows and rednecks.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Little elves that steal all of my pens and pencils.

Damn, their entire economy must rely on the dozens hundreds of pens/pencils I lose.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
None, I'm an empiricist.

But I reckon my own awesomeness counts.

Wait, did I just diss myself?
Hero in a half shell said:
Personally I am very logical in my beliefs
No belief is really logical. Hence why it's a belief. It's a feeling. Feelings ain't logical. Hell, humans ain't logical.

Mar 29, 2008
I think there could be something to the collective unconscious. Maybe not as Jung portrayed it, but I could see there being some form of connection formed through the similar operating frequency of some brain waves with the Schumann Resonance or something. Just a hypothetical. I think it is generally more scientifically appropriate to assume the possibility of something until there has been definitive evidence to prove its impossibility than to only accept that which has been empirically proven.

Though I am more likely to disbelieve the accuracy of currently accepted mechanisms conceived hundreds of years ago, than I am to believe in the existence of random unprovable things.

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
strangemoose said:
slender man...
I second this o_O, there's a creepy tree outside my window and I still refuse to look out at night.

Also, Loch Ness monster, Kraken, Chupacabra and Bigfoot. Basically any cryptozoological creature I like to believe in. It's just fun.

And, this;
Seriously, either that's Cthulhu, the Cloverfield monster, or something else enormous lurks down there D:

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Werewolves.

There's no such thing, yet I keep hearing about reports of the monsters, or people claiming to be one. Many in Germany, and Europe as a whole, some in America, ect. ect.

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
theheroofaction said:
Just so you guys know, minotaurs are biologically possible.

Yeah I think minotaurs exist, but only because some jerk decides he likes banging cows.
What?! I'm pretty sure its impossible to cross breed humans and cows. Otherwise... well lets not think about that. *Puts on nerd hat* And anyway, the Minotaur was originally a single unique mythical creature owned by King Minos of Crete, not a species of creatures.
Actually, wasn't the Minotaur the lovechild of King Minos' wife... or daughter or some other female relative and his prize white bull?
Because Zeus demanded it be slaughtered as tribute to him, but it wasn't, so Zeus made his [small]female relative of unknown forgotten status[/small] sexually attracted to the bull?

At least that's the story I learned, and half remembered.

On topic... Yeah, I'm going to go with aliens. Though why they would want to come to earth is something I simply can't quite grasp. Earth is quite uninteresting. You've made your journey, now go home.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
interspark said:

so what about you?
If you mean Kraken, then they have pretty much already been discovered, they're just called "giant squid".

I believe in aliens. They don't officially exist yet, but they probably do.