Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The Fifth Element came in 25th domestically in 1997.
Even I got through Pirates 3. I too couldn't stomach Transformers. I hear the latest Bumblebee movie is actually good but can't motivate myself to watch it even free on demand.
Same, I kinda don't care about bumblebee considering I have no investment in the other films.

On a side note, I wished I had stopped at Pirates 2(which I liked but was feeling kinda drained at the end) but watched up through 4. Because somehow I was under the delusion they might get better(They don't).

And then I read the book, On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers, the movies are sorta based on and then got really annoyed that they didn't make an actual movie of that book, so yeah.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I hear the latest Bumblebee movie is actually good but can't motivate myself to watch it even free on demand.
I recommend it. The film won't change your life, but I'll take bumblebee over all the previous transformer films. Plus, it's nowhere near as obnoxious as the other ones.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Pretty much SU was a great ride and had its up and downs but I am so glad it exist. Like the last season was all the hero stress on Steven just mentally tearing him to shreds and it makes so much.

And yes Spinel deserved so much better and its interesting how Rose was character development in reverse.
Yeah, I started watching the show on a whim, spent the first couple eps wondering "what the hell am I watching? What is this show about?" and then when they started peeling back the layers and revealing the plot I started getting really interested and it went from there.

The movie is honestly one of the better "Movie of the Show" movies I've seen and a pretty good musical on it's own. Spinel took me by surprise by being a lot deeper then her Murderous Court Jester thing would lead you to believe to the point that "Drift Away" makes me sad every time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Doesn't stop people from trying to make it so or succeed in doing it. Just because these are not multitudes nor have they stamped everything out does not mean their threats are not real.
Seeing as we still have Wonder Woman, Supergirl, all the female X-Men and villians, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Cat Woman, Lois Lane, Black Canary, Spider-Woman, Black Widow, and like, I don't even know how many more who still look like centerfolds, that threat is about as real as the tooth fairy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I started watching the show on a whim, spent the first couple eps wondering "what the hell am I watching? What is this show about?" and then when they started peeling back the layers and revealing the plot I started getting really interested and it went from there.
I tried the first season, but I realized it was not for me. I am glad the show has found a huge audience. The only thing I remember is that Ragyo's voice actor, Laura Post, voices Yellow Diamond too. She more or less uses the same voice, just more cold and irritated.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Doesn't stop people from trying to make it so or succeed in doing it. Just because these are not multitudes nor have they stamped everything out does not mean their threats are not real.
Cause its not real, it will never be real and some rando on twitter or a forum don't count. Cause I came from my local comic shop today and the I see nothing to make these fears legit.

Seeing as we still have Wonder Woman, Supergirl, all the female X-Men and villians, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Cat Woman, Lois Lane, Black Canary, Spider-Woman, Black Widow, and like, I don't even know how many more who still look like centerfolds, that threat is about as real as the tooth fairy.
Even better I came across this AOC parody comic and it has a backshot of her ass and built like a space shuttle.

Like Ms Oscio-Cortez is very attractive but I do not have any kind reference to this ass being comparable to the real life counterpart. So as far as I am concerned sexy has not left comics.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
The movie is honestly one of the better "Movie of the Show" movies I've seen and a pretty good musical on it's own. Spinel took me by surprise by being a lot deeper then her Murderous Court Jester thing would lead you to believe to the point that "Drift Away" makes me sad every time.
Steven Universe as so many good songs they will be in rotation for years. Here comes a thought is my anxiety national anthem.

And SU for all I can say probably had the best Movie of the Show that was mostly series recap but it managed to not be trash and was exceptionally to watch. Like I was ready for SU to have their first irredeemable villain but then the more I saw of her and after her back story I was like REDEEM HER I SWEAR TO GOD YOU BETTER TO REDEEM HER.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Like I was ready for SU to have their first irredeemable villain but then the more I saw of her and after her back story I was like REDEEM HER I SWEAR TO GOD YOU BETTER TO REDEEM HER.
Um, snake people are the irredeemable villains. Duh.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Just because something still exists, even if it's in the majority, doesn't mean it hasn't been stopped by cancel culture.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Just because something still exists, even if it's in the majority, doesn't mean it hasn't been stopped by cancel culture.
Then either cancel culture is just a bunch of hot air, or I'm just not getting what cancel culture is supposed to entail. I mean, if hot chicks in comics are getting cancelled, yet they're still pretty much everywhere, then... *shrugs*

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Then either cancel culture is just a bunch of hot air, or I'm just not getting what cancel culture is supposed to entail. I mean, if hot chicks in comics are getting cancelled, yet they're still pretty much everywhere, then... *shrugs*
Hot air, yeah. Either in the "I am not able to say the thing I am currently saying" sort of way, or in the "I explained why that person is wrong using logic and facts, they won't be repeating their awful opinions anymore I'm sure" way.

It's a bit embarrassing.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Eh, disagree there. In the two episodes that really dwell on Rick's unhappiness at the end-- Auto Erotic Assimilation & The Old Man & the Seat-- it's pretty clear that he's brought about his misery himself through his own actions in the episode.

In general I'd agree, though. It has Rick showing how much smarter he is than everybody else 9 times out of 10 without any redress. But later seasons seem to be shifting that a bit, with the S3 finale being a good turnaround.
Could look at it in terms of Harvey. “You can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant". Rick might be smart, it might make him borderline godlike but it doesn't make him happy. The happiest character in the show is Gerry and he's a moron.
Even in this thread someone mentioned South Park and Dave Chappelle. Isn't South Park still running and isn't Dave Chappelle one of the highest earning stand up comics in the world? Man, if only that kind of "cancelling" existed decades ago we might not have lost Lenny Bruce so young and Salman Rushdi could probably walk into Costa and order a latte. Maybe the people afraid of cancel culture are just whiny bitches who definitely wouldn't be able to deal with anything even remotely resembling actual censorship.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Disney probably couldn't get away with this being in the Live Action Peter Pan.

Problem is what the hell is the plan going to be? Cut out all the native Americans entirely and get attacked for erasing representation?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Problem is what the hell is the plan going to be? Cut out all the native Americans entirely and get attacked for erasing representation?
It would most likely be shit anyway. Almost all of them are except Jungle Book.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

Well, that hasn't aged well.

No clue how they're going to handle it but I don't particularly care about peter pan or the live action Disney remakes either. So I dunno? Have them in there but not so stereotyped maybe? Cut them out and focus on he pirates instead? Keep the original depiction but point out how disturbing(and stupid) it is that they're shown this way(and why is a British fantasy showing native Americans anyway?)? I mean, it does depict a fantasyland so they can swing it pretty much anyway they want.

Hell, Willy Wonka changed the Oompa-loompas from African Pygmy(in the book) to little orange fantasy dudes(in the movie), which is no doubt a good call.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Could look at it in terms of Harvey. “You can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant". Rick might be smart, it might make him borderline godlike but it doesn't make him happy. The happiest character in the show is Gerry and he's a moron.

Jerry happy?! Not in the show I've been watching... briefly, maybe, occasionally.