Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I liked Hook.
Hook wasn't a disney live action remake of Peter Pan. It was a sequel that was live action.

And beyond that I have nothing because I saw Hook as a kid and not in the decades since there, so I don't remember much. I kinda remember at the time some people didn't like it? Maybe?

I mean, it had Robin Williams in the starring role so it couldn't have been that terrible. Hell, TOYS was a mess(interesting but a mess) and Robin Williams was fun to watch in that regardless. I can't be the only one who remembers TOYS.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I mean, it had Robin Williams in the starring role so it couldn't have been that terrible. Hell, TOYS was a mess(interesting but a mess) and Robin Williams was fun to watch in that regardless. I can't be the only one who remembers TOYS.
I do, My brother and I spent many a time watching TOYS on Cinemax and HBO back in the day.
Ah, men of taste. Such a fun movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We can't have common sense and reason anymore. Everything has got to be left, right, or center. We can't have nuance.
People are always going to interpret things certain ways (or in ways that was never meant to), regardless if it was the intentional or not. That is nothing new, it's just that now everyone has a wide variety of media outlets to share their views. You can still have nuance and plenty of it. Just ignore the wannabes, know-it-alls, and idiots with nothing better going on in their lives.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Ah, men of taste. Such a fun movie.
And so wierdly prescient. The whole using "Toy Planes as deadly weapons that controls like a video game" thing feels a lot less wierd in the 2000s. It went from "That sounds like a dumb plan" to "Holy shit, TOYS was about Drone Warfare". Which wouldn't have been a big deal in a Tom Clancy movie, but this was a Robin Williams Comedy that may or may not have been aimed at children(Honestly not sure who it was aimed at, really).

That music video though, will forever be wierd.

Last edited:

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I genuinely don't believe there is such a thing, being able to get away with shocking or offensive material is all about how it's presented and delivered, and it always has been. Likewise there have always been moral guardians telling the public about how such media is eroding the moral backbone of society.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Kae

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I genuinely don't believe there is such a thing, being able to get away with shocking or offensive material is all about how it's presented and delivered, and it always has been. Likewise there have always been moral guardians telling the public about how such media is eroding the moral backbone of society.
Aristophanes' The Frogs tells the story of the god Dionysus, who is fed up with tragic playwrights all being rubbish nowdays, going to the underworld to find the best dead one and bring them back. Towards the end, there's an arguement over who the best playwright actually is, and whether its best to porttray things as they are, or things as they should be (that is, whether plays should be written by moral guardians or by people .out to destroy society or whatever).

This was first performed in Athens in 405 BC. The playwright Dionysus chose as the best was Aeschylus (who was on the moral guardian side), and he was regarded as one of the earliest tragic playwrights, and had been dead for about 50 years then. This sort of thing has been around since the beginning.

Reactions: Absent

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Gone In 60 Seconds. Not the Cage version (you absolutely can get away with remakes still), but the orginal version from 1976. An okay b-movie for the most part, put together by people who obviously haven't done this much, but the reason you should see it is that the entire back half of the movie, and the reason you can't do something like this today, is one long car chase through the southern portions of California, destroying hundreds of cars.

What's even more amazing is the fact that for the most part this was shot on open streets (you can see normal people in the background actually react to the chase going on), and the fact that the lead actor/stuntman/director/writer/junkyard owner missed a few marks during this chase in big ways, including clipping another vehicle on accident trying to exit a freeway at close to 100 mph and careening into a police roadblock and almost taking out the actors manning it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I was talking to my dad on the phone today, and he was tell me he watched a documentary about Bob Marley.

"You know who would be a great actor for a Bob Marley bio-pic? That Pineapple Express guy...what's his name? James Franco, but in black face. It would be perfect."

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I was talking to my dad on the phone today, and he was tell me he watched a documentary about Bob Marley.

"You know who would be a great actor for a Bob Marley bio-pic? That Pineapple Express guy...what's his name? James Franco, but in black face. It would be perfect."
Awkward.

Reactions: BrawlMan