Stuff You've Changed Your Mind On

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's a grocery store I've not been in a looonnngggg time. They still got good food?
I would assume so yes. They are still around in my state, usually only in the very poorest neighborhoods.

One of the big things I've changed my mind on over the past few years is that of subs vs. dubs. When I was younger, I felt like watching anime in the original Japanese with subtitles was the way to go unless I had literally no other option. However, I've slowly found myself watching more and more anime dubbed because, quite frankly, it can be easy to miss visual details if I'm focusing on the bottom third of the screen, and a lot of anime dubs are actually quite good (especially Funimation dubs). There are still some anime that I watch with subtitles, but I've found myself far more relaxed on the "subtitles are always the superior option" stance.

Also, Christopher Sabat will always be the true voice of All Might for me.
While I have no aversion to dubs, I do recall running into a lot of anime where the dub just didn't convey the same level of emotion, compared to the sub version. I found myself less invested. And I've tried MHA dubbed, but, damn I just can't hear anyone else doing All Might except for the original Japanese actor. It just...yeah it doesn't have as much heart to me. Not trying to shit on the dubs, I just, don't have as much emotional reaction to their work most times.

I do think a lot of it has to do with which one I see first though. Thinking about it a bit more. For example I can't see Cowboy Bebop in sub, because I'm used to the dub voices for the characters.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
One of the big things I've changed my mind on over the past few years is that of subs vs. dubs. When I was younger, I felt like watching anime in the original Japanese with subtitles was the way to go unless I had literally no other option. However, I've slowly found myself watching more and more anime dubbed because, quite frankly, it can be easy to miss visual details if I'm focusing on the bottom third of the screen, and a lot of anime dubs are actually quite good (especially Funimation dubs). There are still some anime that I watch with subtitles, but I've found myself far more relaxed on the "subtitles are always the superior option" stance.

I often find it hard to concentrate singularly on a TV show or film, particularly during the slower, more dialogue heavy sections, so I often find myself scrolling through my phone, or whatever. With a dub, I can do that just fine, and I can continue to listen to the show in the background. With a sub, if im not actively reading the subtitles, I miss whole sentences.

When I first started watching anime, it was kind of drilled into me that subs are the only way to go, and dubs are always terrible, but as you say, a lot of dubs are actually really good. In fact, it is quite rare to come across a dub that isn't particularly good, these days.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I often find it hard to concentrate singularly on a TV show or film, particularly during the slower, more dialogue heavy sections, so I often find myself scrolling through my phone, or whatever. With a dub, I can do that just fine, and I can continue to listen to the show in the background. With a sub, if im not actively reading the subtitles, I miss whole sentences.
Second that, though if it's the first time I've seen something, I tend to watch it properly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I just talked about this on my hot takes thread, but we've long made it past that point where a majority of dubs are just as great or better than their Japanese counterparts.

While I have no aversion to dubs, I do recall running into a lot of anime where the dub just didn't convey the same level of emotion, compared to the sub version. I found myself less invested. And I've tried MHA dubbed, but, damn I just can't hear anyone else doing All Might except for the original Japanese actor. It just...yeah it doesn't have as much heart to me. Not trying to shit on the dubs, I just, don't have as much emotional reaction to their work most times.

I do think a lot of it has to do with which one I see first though. Thinking about it a bit more. For example I can't see Cowboy Bebop in sub, because I'm used to the dub voices for the characters.
I remember you telling me. Nothing wrong with that. Me personally, I just don't have the patience for most subs anymore; especially if it's an anime I'm going to have little or no investment in.

I would assume so yes. They are still around in my state, usually only in the very poorest neighborhoods.
Ah. I know you're in Alabama (my dad is from there). When my grandma was alive, who lived the rest of her life in Mississippi, she a couple of Piggly Wigglys in her neighborhood. I don't know if they're still there. I'm just waxing some nostalgia. I've seen that grocery store in less poor neighborhoods in Ole' Miss, but that was over almost two decades ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I came around on Adventure Time after initially thinking it was too awkward and unpleasant to watch. I heard it was fun so I gave it a shot, but the first few eps I watched were rapid fire "Finn doesn't understand girls", "Finn doesn't understand dating", and "Finn should probably avoid romance altogether". I always hated those episodes in any cartoon and my own bad luck resulted in me becoming certain the whole show was this stuff.

Later on I saw they had an in-season miniseries on a character that I thought was one of the better in the show and I ended up giving a whole season another shot and I was pleasantly surprised. Kicking back through the whole show there was definitely a significant increase in overall quality as the show went on and the showrunners got a bit braver in actually exploring their characters. There's some solid metaphors and character explorations by the end, and at one point or another they gave up on mother goose moralizing and managed to actually dig into some fairly hard questions .

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Unforgiven and Looper.

First one i thought was good when i first watched, but not enough to write much home about. Just a good Clint Eastwood western, that's all. After watching it again it finally hit me how much thought was put to it.
Might be cause i came back to after dipping deeper into the whole genre.

Looper was a different story. Thought it was mediocre and clunky, but it's actually a really solid and fun sci-fi thriller.
Turns out it helps when you watch from start to finish and pay attention. Who'd have thunk?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Im struggling to think of one, mainly because I don't really have opinion on shit I haven't done.
Like I never watched Avatar because I didn't think I'd get into it. I have since watched it, didn't get into it. Quality of the show aside, it just was never going to be my thing.
I thought as a kid the time travel mechanic in Majora's Mask was an absolute grind and slowed the game's pacing and story down, and as an adult Majora's Mask is borderline unplayable because of that stupid little mechanic.
Back to the Future does nothing for me. They're fine movies, just can't get into them. Saw one on TV a few weeks ago, the third one, eh?
As a kid sushi was gross and slimy and makes me gag. As an adult sushi is gross and slimy and makes me gag.
Dark Souls 1 has terrible level design, obtuse game mechanics and broken hit boxes and FPS drops that make its "challenge" unbearable. As someone who loved BloodBorne and Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls1 is easily the worst of the series and I stand by my criticism.
Battlestar Galactica got really weird in its later seasons, and to this day I still don't know how we got to angels, robot angels, other worlds and time loops.
Supernatrual should have ended after season 5. And it should have.
Mike is funnier than Joel, and having been rewatching, yes, absolutely Mike is funnier than Joel.

The only thing I can think of it the Black Library 30k Horus Heresy novel series. I was super into it, read every book, every short story, listened to every audio-drama, just engrossed and couldn't wait until the Siege of Terra came. And then the Siege of Terra came and I lost all interest. Just because they're pulling a Game of Thrones last season by rushing to the end, and either forgetting entire character arcs, and rushing them to a weird conclusion. 8 books. 8 book, to finish up a novel series that is 15 years long, 55 full length novels, just shy of 1000 short stories, dozens of audiodramas, probably 600-700 characters all converging at this one location and one time. And they're rushing to the end in 8 books.
Like you know how Horus Aximand always felt bad about betraying his brothers and was sorta building up to a redemption arc, maybe he was the one who lowers the shields of the Vengeful Spirit at the end? Nah, he's just killed.
Remember how Endryd Haar was like a thunder warrior who survived to become a Space Marine and was gonna have an epic showdown with Angron? Nah, he's just killed.
Remember how Mersaide Oliton had this will they/won't they relationship with Loken and they were gonna meet again? Nah, she's just killed.
Remember how that Perpetual lady went out of her way to avoid the Emperor and his plans for millennia and swore never to help him? Nah, she's just killed.
And over and over and over. The first 2 Siege of Terra books we lost like 6-10 main characters from other stories a book, with no resolution or fulfillment of their story. Bill has been planning for years to secretly kill his master who is a corrupt daemon and only Bill knows and he's almost ready to execute his plan, and Bill just took a bolter to the face and he's dead, his story is over, moving on. Granted its more, I struggle to use the term "realistic" in a book series about genetically engineered werewolf space Vikings with magic ice swords, but its more real-world for humans to die unfulfilled, but its narrative malpractice.
There's a line from YouTuber Jenny Nicholson that I love "Nothing is worse than a story that makes you feel stupid for having been excited for it." and that's how I feel about the Siege of Terra novels. Not stupid for thinking there would be a good ending, its 40k lore, I know it ends badly. But that there would be an ending at all. It feels for all the world like all the authors got together, and a suit just told them to wrap it all up, story is over in 8 books, we're moving on.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The only thing I can think of it the Black Library 30k Horus Heresy novel series. I was super into it, read every book, every short story, listened to every audio-drama, just engrossed and couldn't wait until the Siege of Terra came. And then the Siege of Terra came and I lost all interest. Just because they're pulling a Game of Thrones last season by rushing to the end, and either forgetting entire character arcs, and rushing them to a weird conclusion.
Like GoT, I gave up on HH early on. Everything was just very Star Wars prequely, excepting dragging the book series out forever.

I'd recommend the 12 book Beast series, if you've not read that already. IMHO, it's what HH should have been. !2 books, which is a lot but not too much, explains how some modern 40k stuff started without going overboard and without contradicting all the existing fluff for the sake of it, and Dan Abnett does the first book and then no more. Which is the right way around, as Abnett writes a decent page turner, but cares nothing for continuity or consistency, which is sorta the point of that sort of thing.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Dark Souls 1 has terrible level design, obtuse game mechanics and broken hit boxes and FPS drops that make its "challenge" unbearable. As someone who loved BloodBorne and Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls1 is easily the worst of the series and I stand by my criticism.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but are you glossing over Dark Souls 2's failings? Level design in that games was basically the LAST thing they considered. You don't have to like DS1, and DS3 is a great game, but DS2 is a the worst of the series held together by duct tape, i.e.: by virtue of being the second Dark Souls game in name.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but are you glossing over Dark Souls 2's failings? Level design in that games was basically the LAST thing they considered. You don't have to like DS1, and DS3 is a great game, but DS2 is a the worst of the series held together by duct tape, i.e.: by virtue of being the second Dark Souls game in name.
I actually never played Dark Souls 2. I has such a poor experience with DS1 that I was completely turned off from the game. Bloodborne only got me because Im a sucker for Lovecraftian horror and gothic Victorian themes, and I will admit I struggled at first in Bloodborne but around the time of the BloodStarved Beast I hit a good stride.
Dark Souls 3 was recommended to me and I only played it, at least the first time, with a friend.

Like GoT, I gave up on HH early on. Everything was just very Star Wars prequely, excepting dragging the book series out forever.

I'd recommend the 12 book Beast series, if you've not read that already. IMHO, it's what HH should have been. !2 books, which is a lot but not too much, explains how some modern 40k stuff started without going overboard and without contradicting all the existing fluff for the sake of it, and Dan Abnett does the first book and then no more. Which is the right way around, as Abnett writes a decent page turner, but cares nothing for continuity or consistency, which is sorta the point of that sort of thing.
I listened to the Beast series, yeah! I was good! I should give it a re-listen. But yeah Dan Abnett is a good one-off story teller. I really enjoyed his novel Brothers of the Snake, because it was a one-off novel about his pet chapter that he could make up whatever he wanted for, so nothing was contradicted, and then it was over. I remember Dan Abnett did a Q/A, and it just reinforced why I don't like him. He was talking about writing in the 30k timeline and said its all mythology, he and other writers deliberately wrote contradicting information between novels because each novel is supposed to represent an incomplete mythological account of the Horus Heresy, and that as far the writers are concerned somewhere between all and none of the Horus Heresy novels, which have been going on for 15 years, are canon. That is could have happened in a completely different way, and to him that was part of the appeal. That as a writer, he enjoys the idea what he wrote could be 100% wrong and non-canon.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I actually never played Dark Souls 2. I has such a poor experience with DS1 that I was completely turned off from the game. Bloodborne only got me because Im a sucker for Lovecraftian horror and gothic Victorian themes, and I will admit I struggled at first in Bloodborne but around the time of the BloodStarved Beast I hit a good stride.
Dark Souls 3 was recommended to me and I only played it, at least the first time, with a friend.
As someone who has played all the DS games, calling DS1 "easily the worst in the series" is a hot take in ignorance (not an insult, but an acknowledgment of the literal lacking of knowledge and experience) many would readily disagree with. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but by definition, you can't call something "the worst" until you've experienced it "all." If you so strongly disliked DS1, you'd probably hate DS2. I'd offer you should suffer through an hour or two of DS2 just to appreciate how much better DS1 actually is. (And this is coming from someone who finds DS2 tolerable insofar as I've played games I enjoyed far less.)

That said, I don't have a PS4, so haven't played Bloodbourne. Can't opine how it measures up to the collective SoulsBourne games, but I'd not at all be shocked to find it better than DS2. DS2 is the semen that ran down the crack of a mother's ass the night her favorite child was conceived, i.e.: it had potential, but the best got the job done.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That said, I don't have a PS4, so haven't played Bloodbourne. Can't opine how it measures up to the collective SoulsBourne games, but I'd not at all be shocked to find it better than DS2. DS2 is the semen that ran down the crack of a mother's ass the night her favorite child was conceived, i.e.: it had potential, but the best got the job done.
Yeah you've definitely played too many FromSoft games, to casually use analogies like that. Given their games literally have enemies that are the 'adult" stillborn fetuses of some demon fish thingy, that beat you to death with a weapon actually made from their placenta, while you fight on the rotting corpse of their mother...yeah that just sounds like some boss you'd run into in that series. "Mama's Anal Leakage Supreme Avatar" or some such weird ass shit.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah you've definitely played too many FromSoft games, to casually use analogies like that. Given their games literally have enemies that are the 'adult" stillborn fetuses of some demon fish thingy, that beat you to death with a weapon actually made from their placenta, while you fight on the rotting corpse of their mother...yeah that just sounds like some boss you'd run into in that series. "Mama's Anal Leakage Supreme Avatar" or some such weird ass shit.
Haha, I'm of the "shock and awe" mindset when it comes to my analogies. And yes, with staples like the Gaping Dragon and Ceaseless Discharge, that analogy was actually more fitting than I anticipated! "Seminal Run Off" is indeed a fitting DS boss title! 😅

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Haha, I'm of the "shock and awe" mindset when it comes to my analogies. And yes, with staples like the Gaping Dragon and Ceaseless Discharge, that analogy was actually more fitting than I anticipated! "Seminal Run Off" is indeed a fitting DS boss title! 😅
Remember the Lost Kingdom games? I actually loved those. Early From Software series about magical princesses using magical cards to summon monsters to aid them. You can see a lot of Dark Souls inspiration with the large, ancient cities of long dead empires with absolutely no hint of how time actually works, lost of the monsters are similar, chests could be mimics, bosses behind fog gates, the GUI is very similar, is magic management as opposed to stamina management, a little obtuse game mechanics, all on the PS2 and a good 5 years before Demon's Soulsssss

As far as Dark Souls 2, if its on sale maybe one day, but I'm happy to take your word for it being hot shit, even if Dark Souls 1 is least favorite of the ones I've played.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Miley Cirus. First it was indifference, to respect because of the crap she had to deal with when working with Disney and wanting to get away from it. And then the twerking happened. It's not the action itself that bothers me, it's what she did afterward. Later on Cirus went on saying that she disliked/regretted doing it, because she feels its sexists and sexists/bad part of hip-hop culture. This is hypocritical for several reasons:

1. This a white woman that used said sexists Hip-Hop/Black/African culture to add an extra jump start to her career. Then to abandon said culture and trash, when she no longer needed it. Another white person that used black culture to get ahead and tried to wash their hands of it like they did nothing wrong. This is the not my fault excuse.
  2. Hip-Hop culture has many flaws, but not every rapper is sexists, gangsta, shallow product slinging, showboating, boasting assholes. You have to look beyond the dumb shit most of the mainstream tries to sell.
  3. The lack of acknowledgement of the positives hip-hop has brung to other people of different races, religions, or gender. Convenient to ignore all the good it has done. Nor does she bother to help improve the culture at all. So fuck her!
Look at people like Shing02, Nujabes, Eminem, and Linkin Park/Mike Shinoda. You know the difference between them and her? Guess.

Acknowledgement and respect! Acknowledgement and respect for the culture! To show and not afraid to point out where your influences originate from. They were not afraid, unlike her and Marky Mark (Mark Walhberg). Another reason why she used that pathetic excuse was because the media claimed she "invented" twerking and suddenly she did not want any part of that. That is still no fucking excuse. Apologize and show acknowledgement. Signing up or supporting for BLM does not count as an apology. Until she decides to nut up and admit it, I have low respect for Cyrus.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I rewatched "Marvels The Avengers" last night. I think I'd been a little dismissive of it over the years because most of the movies after generally had more emotional depth and wittier writing. Like you can't compare Avengers to Civil War when it comes to writing. Shit I cried when Iron man said "I don't care, he killed my mom.". Then again I'm a sucker for drama which Avengers completely lacks. Even Colsons death is treated pretty lightly.

I think however now, when you look at the movie in a vacuum, its a pretty great movie. Some of the dialog is a little lame. It's almost like Joss Wedon really wants to be Kevin Smith and he's trying too hard to be witty when the scene doesn't need it. What really stood out to me though is the pacing, story and special effects. The effects have aged amazingly. I think I literally caught one scene in the whole movie that was noticeably a CGI transition. It's kind of like what the Star Wars prequels should have been. It's frankly a miracle how well the movie works. I bet the celebration party at marvel when the box office numbers rolled in must have lasted weeks. Its not my favorite Marvel movie by a long shot but its undeniably a triumph in a time when the idea of a good comicbook adaptation was a unicorn.

Reactions: BrawlMan

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Shit I cried when Iron man said "I don't care, he killed my mom."
What made that scene so sad for you?

Throughout the MCU I don't recall Tony being all that hung up on his mother or her death. Tony was clearly had daddy issues so I could understand him being pissed that the Winter Soldier killed Howard, but I'm pretty sure Tony's mother was barely mentioned at all before Civil War.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
What made that scene so sad for you?

Throughout the MCU I don't recall Tony being all that hung up on his mother or her death. Tony was clearly had daddy issues so I could understand him being pissed that the Winter Soldier killed Howard, but I'm pretty sure Tony's mother was barely mentioned at all before Civil War.
It's established here

His dad is clearly framed as confrontational, distant, dismissive, typical dad tropes.

Mom is literally introduced, playing him a lullaby while he's asleep on the couch, and she's clearly fine with doing that. Now, these are all fabricated memories (or at least slightly altered, no reason the actual moment didn't mostly play out like that), but they are pulled from Tony's head, so the entire emotional tone of his mother, is one of love, compassion, caring. Even his recreation doesn't give her shit, all his teen angst is directed at dad. The only snarky thing he says to mom, is actually an insult directed at dad, about how he thinks it's kind of shitty that dad is taking her to the pentagon, and she'll be forced to eat their terrible cafeteria food. Implying he'd rather dad took mom someplace much nicer to eat, because he cares about her and doesn't want her getting the pentagon shits.

So yeah, he loved his mom. Also, is that really a huge leap? Even if they hadn't clearly established his feelings for her in the BARF? MOST kids love their moms very deeply. I mean he loved his dad, that was well established in several of the films, IM 2 in particular. You can have a volatile relationship with a family member, and still be pissed off to the point of irrational behavior when looking at the guy WHO SHOT THEM IN COLD BLOOD, and you just watched it. He didn't LACK feelings for his parents, he suppressed them. And they all came flooding back as he watched the footage of the Winter Soldier, dragging their helpless bodies, casually putting a bullet in his dad's head, and then repeating the process on mom.

So..yeah, "I'm sorry Captain, but I'm too angry for rational thought right now, and only want to crush his skull" is a fairly legit response.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's established here

His dad is clearly framed as confrontational, distant, dismissive, typical dad tropes.

Mom is literally introduced, playing him a lullaby while he's asleep on the couch, and she's clearly fine with doing that. Now, these are all fabricated memories (or at least slightly altered, no reason the actual moment didn't mostly play out like that), but they are pulled from Tony's head, so the entire emotional tone of his mother, is one of love, compassion, caring. Even his recreation doesn't give her shit, all his teen angst is directed at dad. The only snarky thing he says to mom, is actually an insult directed at dad, about how he thinks it's kind of shitty that dad is taking her to the pentagon, and she'll be forced to eat their terrible cafeteria food. Implying he'd rather dad took mom someplace much nicer to eat, because he cares about her and doesn't want her getting the pentagon shits.

So yeah, he loved his mom. Also, is that really a huge leap? Even if they hadn't clearly established his feelings for her in the BARF? MOST kids love their moms very deeply. I mean he loved his dad, that was well established in several of the films, IM 2 in particular. You can have a volatile relationship with a family member, and still be pissed off to the point of irrational behavior when looking at the guy WHO SHOT THEM IN COLD BLOOD, and you just watched it. He didn't LACK feelings for his parents, he suppressed them. And they all came flooding back as he watched the footage of the Winter Soldier, dragging their helpless bodies, casually putting a bullet in his dad's head, and then repeating the process on mom.

So..yeah, "I'm sorry Captain, but I'm too angry for rational thought right now, and only want to crush his skull" is a fairly legit response.
Yeah it's fairly well established, even in just the first two Iron Man films, that everything Tony does is done out a sense of needing to live up to his parents expectations, but with them being dead he'll never get that sense of closure. I think they did a good job of subtly making Iron Man the protagonist of Civil War . Making him the audiences surrogate. You start off with the really touching BARF scene where he says he wasted 600mil just trying to get closure and then that woman from the state department accosting him and blaming him for the death of her son, which at it's core literally is his fault.

Throughout the film they also make it very evident that Iron Man is physically and emotionally falling apart. His suit even starts breaking down throughout the film. Meanwhile he can tell hes losing his only friends, pepper dumped him because of his hero obsession, and his sense of family, the avengers is dying. Meanwhile Captain is very much as established as being a selfish jerk, in Iron Mans eyes. Then you have this crushing scene of him having to watch his parents die, which he didn't even know happened the way it did (its very grisly) and the guy who, in that moment, he perceived as at the heart of everything going wrong in his life and the murderer of his parents is 5ft away. Then he makes that statement and I think it's kind of a punch in the gut to the audience because you never really see it coming and its like "oh right everyone loves their mom", it finally drives the nail in the coffin fully humanizing iron man and establishing his connection with the audience. I think regardless of whether or not you've experience the loss of a loved one that scene was pretty soul crushing.

Civil War is a very sad film. That next scene is rough to watch as well, we've never seen a comicbook villain literally attempt suicide on screen and for such relatable reasons only to be stopped by a guy who is still dealing with the trauma of losing his own parent.

Attachments