Stupidest reason to shoot down a game

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
bad graphics, um... look at any old game. Even Oblivion starting to look below average, and that's one of the best games on the 360

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
Yeah Im gonna have to agree with graphics. Final Fantasy 6 was one of the best RPGs in the whole series & when it was re-released on the playstation years ago some of my friends wouldnt play it because it wasnt as flashy as the more recent mundane sequels.

I would actually love to play FF7 & all others after it redone with 16 bit graphics.

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
The Lost Big Boss said:
I think its a bad game and I will debate with you on our reasons.

I hate the control scheme. I have never understood why it is move like a tank, or run in only one direction. I had this problem with Resistance 2, it was walk slowly or sprint too fast, what ever happened to a good brisk walk and sprint option?

I can't believe you think multilayer was good. I admit the first one was ok, it held my attention for a month but it just got stupid. Every single round would end the same, people rolling around trying to shotgun each other. I can't speak for the second one because I couldn't even play it, it was broken for a very very long time and that is not negotiable.

The characters are more like robots trying to imitate human emotion. I would have felt bad for Dom if there was any character development, instead we get shoehorned this love story right from the start with no relations what so ever. It's a bad mid-day drama. If they just stuck with "Kill shit because we want to survive" and act all desperate than I would have bought it
and I would have no problem with them, but like I said it's adding simulated emotions to a tin can.

I am not shitting on you for liking the game, I am just stating my reasons for not liking it. Now swing away at me.
Well we agree on 2 things.

First that Gears of War 2's multiplayer was broken (it has subsequently been fixed - mostly) and second that no one really plays these games for the great emotional characters and development etc.

What makes Gears of War a great game? Well first off it is something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the same old CoD and Halo. Now I am not going to argue story with you at all for if you read my post you will see I said best MULTIPLAYER game, I don't find the story bad by any means but I'm not some drooling fanboy over it (leave that for COD4).

The multiplayer in Gears first grabbed my attention in late 2006 when I had just purchased an Xbox and a mate brought it round, we didn't have live yet but I had a great time playing with all the strange weapons and running around, sticking to walls, blindfiring and rolling. I purchased the game for myself early 2007 and with it hooked up to Xbox Live, but I didn't go online straight away because the cool thing to play online at the time was Halo 2, when I did go online on gears it allowed something that halo didn't. It allowed me to choose which game I'd like to play, something I thought was reseved for PC.

One of the things you mentioned you disliked about gears is infact one of the things that i love most. Rolling around with a shotgun, this was something that I had never seen before, being fairly new to online gaming and I found it immensely fun. The game had a great physics engine and no amount of in game "bullshit! That **** should have fucking died" could ever convince me otherwise. The shotgun was the weapon that gave the game longevity sure the trademark chainsaw was fun at first, but the fastpaced shotgun in a relatively slow game (compared to halo) kept it interesting and mastering that, along with the sniper and torque bow was something I really wanted to do on the way to 10 000 kills and seriously.

Maybe this next point is more about the Live community, rather than the actual game, but I maintain that it is such that it was unique to gears of war. The fact that I could join a game, 99% of the time having all Australians, nearly always lacking that annoying singing kid, there was teammwork in Gears of War and whereas every Call of Duty playlist could have an FFA chucked on the end of it (Lol Team Deathmatch Free For All - you know it's true) gears actually had people working together, communicating and making friends. I actually bring this down to the games mechanics which required teamwork to actually win 9 times of out 10. Add to that with the fact that one could always choose their host, so you never have to play in lag, it's always easy to get all your friends in a room at the same time on the map that you want.

I met 2 of my best friends in real life today on Gears of War and we all, as well as many many more who I can name, still maintain that Gears of War is the best console multiplayer game of the generation, if not of all time.

I went back to Gears of War on saturday night with some friends (for the first time in a few months) and it was honestly the most fun I've had on Live in ages, i still play Gears2 online alot rather than MW2 or Halo which bore me (and I really can't think of another multiplayer game that rivals either on 360).

Reading back through this I think I've given more sentimental reasons why I love this game, rather than reasons why you should like it, but honestly there are only 2 games ever made that I love more than Gears, this is the game that got me into online multiplayer 4 years ago and even the people I know who hate gears2 still love the first one, everytime we go back we say "damn this is fun, why did we leave" and it brings the same sentimental feelings to me that I get when going back to old N64 games from my childhood.

I think that is enough of an off topic post, just to keep something OT; I heard this one at tafe half an hour ago "I don't like guitar hero, because it's too hard."

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
vviki said:
Me: Are you going to play GTA San Andreas?
Friend: 'Ourse no! The main charecter is black!
Me: So?
Friend: I wont play it...
O___O

Wow, just...wow...did the conversation just end after that?

omgct

May 18, 2010
I prefer to game on PC, not for any reason in particular, but what makes a game for me is story, how much effort you can tell was put in the game by the designers, the physics, and the control layout (especially hate it when its a bad layout and can't be customized) the best game of this current game generation was definitely metal gear solid 4, the level of detail, the story, the controls, physics and superb game play (although one could be forgiven for thinking of it more as an interactive movie :p ) 2 years later I'm still looking for a game as good (detail and story wise) but the worst thing a game designer can do is use a generic graphics engine instead of building their own (the unreal engine is WAY too overused)

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
KrazyShrink said:
"Oh no thanks, I'm not interested in mindless violence and shooting people in the face over and over again."

THATS NOT THE GOD DAMN APPEAL OF SHOOTERS.
O___O
It's not?

lol

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Zetswe said:
Anyone who said the art design puts them off...and that covers about 95% of the FF9 haters.
FFIX was the best in the series as far as I'm concerned. I always felt the art style was the best of the FFs on the PS1 (not counting the re-releases in the chronicles packs). Not to mention that the game itself was a great mix of the old and the new.

OT: I hate when I hear (usually by teenagers thinking they need to approve their manliness) that a game rated "E" can't be good. I also hate when I people complain about sprite based games (truthfully I hear that less and less as time goes on) and a game can't be fun if it isn't in 3D-they usually are the first people to complain about the camera oddly enough.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
People who hate games that are popular, just because they're popular. It's clearly a weak attempt for them to be different and to try to be cool.

Here's a thought, play the game and see if you like it, if you genuinely don't like it, NOW have reasons not to like it. (Like me with Killzone 2, played through it and hated it)

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
zombiejoe said:
vviki said:
Me: Are you going to play GTA San Andreas?
Friend: 'Ourse no! The main charecter is black!
Me: So?
Friend: I wont play it...
O___O

Wow, just...wow...did the conversation just end after that?
I actually can see why that would turn a player off of the game and still not be racist. If we want the games to be immersive and a way to live vicariously through the protagonist, it can take a person out of said immersion if your avatar doesn't match the player. I've always thought that games like GTA should have all races available to use and male and female skins. It's just a small thing but can lead to much more immersion. I understand that it makes it a bit tougher for spoken dialogue, but in the long run I think the efforts would be worth it.

With that said, the way vviki posted it, I'm assuming it was said in a racist tone, which in this day and age is a completely assinine attitude to have. Still, there are reasons it can be said that doesn't promote racisim.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
viranimus said:
I have been called stupid for this, but I refuse to pay money to any game having direct ties to the disney corp. Now for the most part, thats not a problem, but it did become somewhat aggravating finding out that Kingdom hearts is actually a fairly good game.

Hate disney with a passion. The nazi support thing is bad enough. But I cant do it now thanks to "old yeller syndrome"
I can't blame you; I've been hating Disney for quite some years now.

dawdarsd

Aug 16, 2010
Aphex Demon said:
hotpotat0wned said:
soul reaver was a perfect game now i stumbled upon the stupidest review i have ever seen in my entire life it was written on gamespot by an user
user : the battles were strange(what the hell does he even mean by strange?and even if it is strange then it means its original and if its original it means GOOD not BAD),the graphics sucked(no shit einstein it was made in 1999)the enviroment is repetitive(there is a thing called theme, would you call the enviroment repetitive if it would take action in antartica or in a desert?or in ruins?)then he complains he doesnt know anything about the storyline because he was to ocupied to seeing how everything sucked so much(this is the second game in the series legacy of kain)it does not tell you how to play the damn game(lots of games have no instructions on how to play them and i mean LOTS i too had trouble understanding how to do anything in some games but im not a goddamn asshole to complain and rate a lower score on the game)then i found the stupidest thing he wrote then i seriously thought he was mentally retarded : the battles were really awkward you had to move while atacking or you will get hit now that's really really awkward(in every goddamn game you have to move while attacking to not get hit)his over reviews included rating JRPGS perfect well if humanity is composed at least 20 percent of these idiots we are doomed.
This is totally unrelated. But nice avatar pic, I recall it being from Half Life 2? Combine logo I think?
yep im a huge fan of hl2 i passed the game 7 times, episode 1 4 times,and episode 2 5 times,half life 1 3 times the only series i like more then half life is metal slug

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
hotpotat0wned said:
yep im a huge fan of hl2 i passed the game 7 times, episode 1 4 times,and episode 2 5 times,half life 1 3 times the only series i like more then half life is metal slug
That's weird...

When I posted about people complaining about sprites a few minutes ago, the game I had in my hand that made me think of that was Metal Slug Anthology. One of the best series of all time that doesn't get half the credit it deserves.

SpikeFT

Nov 18, 2009
I think gameplay and story go first graphics second(i dont want on screen cubes) last other things but if they dont mix its not a game its an amalgam of data on a dvd, hdd or whatever you want it to be ready to be opened

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Ugh, people who "protest" a game's DRM scheme, a la Starcraft 2 or any Steam-based game. It's like the fact that the developers are trying to protect themselves from pirates somehow makes the game inferior. The strange thing is that most of the games that they "protest" against are some of the greatest games that one can play... their loss.

Yeah, it might be a useless gesture, but just because the neighborhood vandals could just break a window to get into your house doesn't mean that you're going to leave them unlocked.

archf13nd

Aug 22, 2010
Any opinion made about a game despite the person never playing it. Those ones are usually the worst.