Stupidest rule in school...

RedPandaMan

I bought this to skip ads.
Oct 23, 2008
Wow, where do you all you guys go to school? Naziland?(The fictional place I imagine all things happen)

OT: I'm pretty lucky in that I haven't had to face these stupid rules. Teachers allow gum, all other things are okay outside classroom. Only thing I can really think of is having to stay on campus at lunch as a freshman. Man that sucked.

Finnboghi

Oct 23, 2008
I don't know how many of you ever had Sports Day at school...

But for those who didn't, basically the last day of the semester (or year, in elementary) we spend the whole day playing games like tug of war, tag, sack races, etc.

Except in grade 5 and 6, we had a nazi principle (who hated me because I hated her favourite student and teacher, but that's kind of irrelevant).

Now I live in Calgary, and the end of the school year in Alberta is usually right around the end of June... The average temperature in Calgary in the end of June is about 25-30°C, and 0% humidity.

Now imagine running around and playing in 30°C (that's about 90°F for you backwards American people) weather, 0% humidity for about 6 hours. Obviously you're going to be friggin' thirsty.

But people drown in liquids.

So we weren't allowed any.

At all.

No hoses, no water guns, no water or juice or pop or anything.

Several people went to the hospital with severe dehydration.

But it was still better than having water!

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
My old high school had a thing where opposite genders couldn't be within three feet of each other in the halls.

Because 'don't do that' is entirely effective at keeping a few-hundred sacks of testosterone/estrogen with authority problems from seeking out each other.

I'm not remembering anything, but I'm pretty sure there were some other silly little rituals they had us do at one point.

Energylegzz

May 13, 2009
No Peanut products.Period.It outlaws the Most basic Homemade Lunch A peanut butter and jelly sammich.And even the kids with Extreme peanut allergy's ate in the Nurses office So whats the big deal about eating one in the Cafeteria?Jokes on them cuz I had a peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
A random person said:
In middle school the principal decided to mandate collared shirts. It was supposedly part of a dress code revamp, but apparently the only real change was the collared shirt thing. I still have no idea why having collars was so damn important.
It's a metaphorical collar connected to the leash of authority...

gremily

Oct 9, 2008
During lunch if you want to play in the gym, you have to take off your shoes.

WTF?

Gondito

Jul 11, 2009
Some of my teachers in middle and elementary made the boys always get behind the girls in line.

Sexist Bastards

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
In my primary school we could only play football (soccer) with a tennis ball.

MAJOR annoyance, Epic Hand-Eye Co-ordination now.

gremily said:
During lunch if you want to play in the gym, you have to take off your shoes.

WTF?
Mine did that too, In Both Schools, 'Cept those shitty pumps. I think its just to protect the floors.

Eldritch Warlord said:
My High School had a 'points' system. Basically different offenses inflicted a different number of points and students would be punished according to their accumulated points rather than the actual offense.

The whole thing was a joke to the entire student body and the majority of the faculty. Perhaps the funniest thing was that it was about twice as many points for calling in a false bomb threat than bringing a bomb to school.
PLEASE tell me you tried to get the most number of points. That'd be the challenge for me.

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Goddam, I was going to complain about my school but some of your schools are downright oppressive.

I'll just be quiet then.
I know what you mean, it's like listening that guy who's always getting the short end of the stick on life, while you're complaining about stubbing your toe.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
No alcohol allowed. How do you expect me to sit through your lessons full of ungodly boredom sober?

Other than that nothing. The school system is very free in Greece. No dress codes, no stupid rules. Although it would be nice if they allowed me to punch people in the face.

Asciotes

Jul 24, 2009
my schools pretty nice overall. If there are any specific rules, it's those made by the teacher of that class, and all the teachers its basic stuff (no gum, no food or drink aside from water etc.)

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
Akai Shizuku said:
darkless said:
Project_Omega said:
Also the idea of unifors annoys me badly!
My school had uniforms and you clearly have no idea just how much trouble the prevent, It practically erases a whole aspect of bullying, in that you cant get slagged for what you wear because everyone is wearing the exact same thing.
I refuse to wear a uniform; to me it symbolizes subservience and being like everyone else...two things I am against.

http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs27/f/2009/247/9/9/DIY_Hammer_and_Sickle_by_AkaiShizuku.jpg

I stitched a hammer & sickle into my mp3 player's wrist strap thing. I'm going to start arguments if anyone tells me to take it off, fascist bastards.

Wait, you stitched the symbol of the Soviet Union into your wrist strap, yet you oppose subservience and being like everyone else?

Sounds a bit *puts on sunglasses*....contradictory

YEEEAAH!

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
LilGherkin said:
ElephantGuts said:
Goddam, I was going to complain about my school but some of your schools are downright oppressive.

I'll just be quiet then.
I know what you mean, it's like listening that guy who's always getting the short end of the stick on life, while you're complaining about stubbing your toe.
I don't know about you but as far as I'm concerned stubbing my toe is getting the short end of the stick on life.

Craig FTW

Mar 25, 2009
Last year our school made us use our ID cards to check that we could buy lunch.
Or that we were legible to give them a quarter for a cookie.

But other than that nothing I can really remember.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
Finnboghi said:
But people drown in liquids.

So we weren't allowed any.

At all.

No hoses, no water guns, no water or juice or pop or anything.

Several people went to the hospital with severe dehydration.

But it was still better than having water!
I'm sure you could sue for that...

but the weirdest thing in my school was that we weren't allowed to stand in circles... i think they were affraid we were dealing drugs even though stopping us standing in circles wouldn't REALLY stop that... dumbarses...

Finnboghi

Oct 23, 2008
Gondito said:
Some of my teachers in middle and elementary made the boys always get behind the girls in line.

Sexist Bastards
Thank you!

My principle (same psycho one above) once came out of her office while we were on our way to gym, and our teacher was going back to the classroom to get her keys.

She made all the boys go to the back of the line, just because she hated the male gender.

And yet I'm consistently told that girls are always discriminated against in school.

Another insane one was that one horrible teacher (the one I hated, also mentioned above) was allowed to tear pages out of our notebooks if we upset her.

Seriously.

She would tear the pages right out from under your pencil.

And the principal supported this.

If I ever encounter them again, words will be exchanged.

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
Jark212 said:
In 7th grade I got suspended for getting in a fight, I just blocked his punched, and never retaliated... 3 days, told my mom the story so I didn't get in trouble at home, just a 3 day vacation...
You're lucky you can do that. My parents have actually said "Teachers are always right." No joke. And this is at a school where I was given detention for taking the wrong staircase (Hint: the main one.)

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Jark212 said:
In 7th grade I got suspended for getting in a fight, I just blocked his punched, and never retaliated... 3 days, told my mom the story so I didn't get in trouble at home, just a 3 day vacation...
That happened to my brother as well. Some kid jumped him in grade 6 and my brother was just covering his face and taking the blows. When a teacher broke them up, the attacker got a week suspension and my brother got two weeks. But that was just one of the many incidents that got him into judo and ninjutsu so it all worked out I guess.

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
I looked through the student handbook they gave us today and I found one stupid/badly worded rule.

"Arson: Intentional destruction or damage to school property by means of fire.

Consequence: Conference with parent/guardian will be scheduled, and you will be considered for suspension."

Evidently our school is so poor they'll only care if you do a bad enough job they can't collect on the insurance.