Suggest me an RTS.

Paulie92

Mar 6, 2010
Age of Empires 2 (preferably expansion) Deffinately Age of Mythology! also get the expansion and Warcraft 3 obviously and it wouldn't hurt to check out the total war series I personally could never get into Empire and alot of people seem to be saying supreme commander I found that to be a less good total annihalation and one more time Age of Mythology!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Calatar said:
The most overpowered races are Tau and Eldar, according to the consensus on GameReplays.org. Tau Fire Warriors' damage output exceeds that of any other race, and in the early game too. Eldar have Dark Reapers who have great damage, good hp, and decent melee. They can be micro-ed with fleet-of-foot, which increases movement speed, to avoid being engaged in melee, and out-firepower any non-vehicle unit apart from Fire Warriors. Dark Eldar and Chaos are considered to be High-Tier. Orks, Space Marines, and IG are mid-tier. Necrons and Sisters of Battle are considered to be low-tier.

All Tier systems have their drawbacks and subjective differences, but the Top Tier is widely agreed on. Orks may be High Tier. (Orks won the last tournament I watched. Then again, 3/8 players were playing Orks.)

I only mention this because I've been watching several DoW:SS tournaments, and that seemed to be the opinion of the skilled players.
I am defiantly not a skilled RTS player but from my experience of playing DoW, space marines/chaos were exactly the same with slightly different units and a different skin they were amazingly good to use, I used air drop 5 dreadnoughts behind there army and 5 more upfront, with all my infantry ... Now I can drop 3 dreadnoughts 2 more upfront with my infantry which get annihilated.

Orks would be mowed down in seconds, now they can decimate bases while bullets ping off there skin.

10 or so eldar grav tanks would make the battlefield erupt with purple explosions now the vehicle caps and individual unit caps only let you build 1 or 2 of them.

Imperial guard used to have advanced infantry (they wear black armour), they used to mow down infantry quick enough to give me enough time to mount an offense with tanks now you can have two squads.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
KrakFoxx said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
omega 616 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Sir Kemper said:
Hello Escapist's, recently i've been playing the RUSE beta and enjoying myself, however i fall into that familliar catagory of 'people who love RTS games, but suck at them'.

So, my question for you today is: What's an RTS game you enjoy, and what RTS games do you think i might enjoy.

Yes, i realise i left it sort of vauge on what i enjoy in RTS games, but i'm open to almost any series.
Dawn of War and its 3 expansions. It's relatively simple, yet so addictive, and the races are all so diverse.
Except all the races have been nerfed into oblivion and orks are the only race that are effective, were they were the only weak ones.

DoW 2 isn't a typical RTS, there are no buildings to build very few upgrades and I can build the best units in about 4 clicks from the start of the match.

I would suggest C&C, easy to learn difficult to master.
Tau are good if used effectively. And Chaos are stupidly strong.
The imperial guard are good if you build quickly, defend yourself early and you will kick ass in the end.
Ah yes, Imperial Guard, they were my favourite for a good while. I loved starting as the week underdog and then crushing everything in my path. Baneblade ftw!

phimax100

Feb 8, 2010
I say C&C Generals: Zero Hour for the typical rts experience, it's an awesome game, and lots of strategies to use. However, there's not many ppl online anymore, and you have to deal with EA. :(

World in Conflict is a much easier game to pick up and jump into, along with being less stressful, since you only control a few units at a time. If it sounds too simple, it's not. It has a lot of people playing now, and it's definitely an easy way to get into RTS. Highly recommended, especially if you have friends to play with.

tanithwolf

For The Epic Tanith Wolf
Mar 26, 2009
I would recommend any of these as a good RTS:
Warcraft 3
Starcraft 1
Dawn of War 1
Command and Conquer 3
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3

wax88

Sep 10, 2009
if you dont mind real time tactical, you can try world in conflict or company of heroes.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Well, there are so many.

Starcraft 2, obviously, only it's not out yet, so sorta moot.
I've recently tried the RUSE open beta, it seems like fun.
Company of Heroes and Dawn of War are somewhat similar, both are pretty good.
Warcraft 3 or Starcraft for the classic gent or lady.
I remember Supreme Commander as being pretty good, but I've not been able to get it to work recently, so I'm not sure if it's just nostalgia. Don't know much about the new one, but I've heard that it's more beginner-friendly.
There's also Act of War, which I remember as good, but last time I fired it up, it was clear that it did not age as gracefully as, say, warcraft 3.
Red Alert 3 is sorta good, but something about it grates me.