Super Smash Bros. 4's New Challengers Are Fire Emblem's Robin And Lucina

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Smash Bros. 4's New Challengers Are Fire Emblem's Robin And Lucina

More importantly, a certain captain with a notorious punch was confirmed to be returning in the new game.

With an exclusive live stream event, Nintendo just revealed a few new fighter introductions for its upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. Fire Emblem fans will be excited to know that not just one, but two new characters from the franchise will be joining the all-star beat em up. Lucina, Chrom, and Robin, along with Robin's gender-swapped counterpart, will be new playable characters in the next version of Super Smash Bros.

But more importantly, long-time fans of the series will be relieved to know that the game's best character will be making a return. That's right, Captain Falcon, of F-Zero fame, will be bringing his signature Falcon PUNCH to the series once more.

Check out the gallery of all three newly announced fighters below:

[gallery=2852]

It's unclear if Chrom and the female version of Robin will be their own separate characters, or just simple "skin" options for Lucina and male Robin, though the later certainly seems to be a lot more likely - especially considering that female Robin shares the same character page with male Robin [http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/reflet.html], and Chrom doesn't have one. A rather cool reveal trailer was put together for the new characters, which you can check out above.

Game developer Masahiro Sakurai previously stated that he was getting near "the bottom of the barrel" in regards to new character announcements, so don't be expecting too many more new fighters.

Robin, Chrom and Lucina are from the 3DS's Fire Emblem: Awakening, while previous Fire Emblem characters Marth and Ike featured primarily in the older titles Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance respectively.

Source: Nintendo [http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/reflet.html]

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Man, the official site is slammed right now.

Yay! I have no idea who these people are. :D
Well, expect for the Captain.
Me thinks it's about high time I played Fire Emblem: Awakening.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Story said:

Yay! I have no idea who these people are. :D
Well, expect for the Captain.
Me thinks it's about high time I played Fire Emblem: Awakening.
You should. It's really good.

OT: No Ness or Lucas yet?

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Wait, Lucina is her own character? from the look of the trailer, I thought she was going to be a alt. Skin for Marth.
Still hyped as shit though, I really wasn't looking forward to Shulk...

FUCKROBIN'SINTHEGAMEHOLYFUCKINGSHITCOOLESTGAMEEVER.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system... I really liked Fire Emblem: Awakening

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
YES! HELL YES! HELL FUCKING YES! Great additions to the smash line up, and two of my favorite characters from the game I've been obsessing over for months!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I predicted Lucina and Chrom reveal at the same time but I didn't expect Robin also :O

Fucking awesome, I am so excited! I don't care if Lucina is a Marth clone or a skin, I will main the shit out of her!

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Yes, Robin and Lucina are joining the battle and the cap is coming back. although knowing the internet I fell really sorry for Lucina

Story said:
Ya, I'm trying to get on the site to see the picture but it won't load for me.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
EyeReaper said:
Wait, Lucina is her own character? from the look of the trailer, I thought she was going to be a alt. Skin for Marth.
Still hyped as shit though, I really wasn't looking forward to Shulk...

FUCKROBIN'SINTHEGAMEHOLYFUCKINGSHITCOOLESTGAMEEVER.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system... I really liked Fire Emblem: Awakening
I KNOW RIGHT?!?! I CAN'T STOP SPAZZING RIGHT NOW!

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Is Chrom a new character, Final Smash for Robin, Alt Skin for Lucina, or what? Couldn't really tell.

Either way, this is awesome news. Roster is looking awesome.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Looks like the future doesn't belong to Shulk either...

the_retro_gamer

Apr 8, 2013
HOLYFUCKROBINWIN!

I knew at least one Fire Emblem awakening character was going to make the roster but for Robin to make it, that totally caught me off guard. Now i'm super hyped. Now lets hope that this many Fire Emblem characters bring more attention to the series like what Marth and Roy did in Melee.

Well played Nintendo, Well Played indeed.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Still no Bayonetta. D:

But yay Captain Falcon! And I should get round to playing Fire Emblem at some stage.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Neat, looks like Robin will be using my favorite weapon, the Levin Sword.

Edit: Well, that Robin + Levin Swaord pic is gone, maybe it won't be in the game.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
HolyFuckCaptainFalcon

I don't even know, or realistically care who the other two (three?) are.

The Cap is back, and this is all that matters.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Upon closer inspection I think Lucina may actually be a clone of Marth whose moveset resembles Roy's from Melee. Look at the jig she does in her neutral stance. Could it be that Roy will be an alt skin for Lucina?

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
What I hope is the ability to use your own 'robin' in the game. But I'm already sold now. Too bad I'm getting it on the 3DS, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Also...

Fappy said:
I predicted Lucina and Chrom reveal at the same time but I didn't expect Robin also :O
Because I think it was supposed to be kind of sort of you in a way. But I'm happy they ditched that and showed he/she really is his/her own person.