Super Smash Bros. 4's New Challengers Are Fire Emblem's Robin And Lucina

NotThePANTSU

Apr 4, 2014
Andy Shandy said:
Still no Bayonetta. D:
A number of people have suggested (and I agree) that Zero Suit Samus is pretty much a stand in for Bayonetta. She might have been okay for Japan, maybe even Europe, but a large section of America would have lost its shit at the thought of such a character appearing in a game that's meant to be 'for all ages'.

I'm sure for fans of Lucina this was an exciting announcement but, for those who haven't played the game (like myself) or simply have no idea who she is, she seemed to be really overshadowed by Robin. I mean having her need to be saved and then showing off her ability to... 'swing a sword' doesn't really sell the character when Robin is blasting people with fire and lightning.

From the looks of things Robin's tomes are basically summon-able items and I think that would have been a better explanation of how they work.

Also Cpt.Falcon better be as agile as he's shown here or my brother is going to be pissed!

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Sack of Cheese said:
I know they're fan favourite, but I'm not big on Lucina/Chrom, I prefer to have Tharja. :(

Fappy said:
Too bad you can't customize Robin. My fem-Avatar looked a lot cooler than Robin XD
Mine is way cuter than default!
I'm gonna miss my boycut Robin...oh well. I'm just glad they added in a female skin in general.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I'm gonna miss my boycut Robin...oh well. I'm just glad they added in a female skin in general.
Meanwhile Ubisoft reps are choking on their tongues with how much Nintendo has been doing for female characters between this and the unintentional (maybe) harem of Hyrule Warriors.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Grenge Di Origin said:
Wait, Female Robin gets the weaker Bronze Sword while Male Robin gets the Levin Sword?!

SMASH BROS WII U/3DS IS SEXIST!
Meh. The Levin sword is kinda shit anyway.

OT: Well this is a pretty cool trailer. ALL THE FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS!

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Grenge Di Origin said:
Wait, Female Robin gets the weaker Bronze Sword while Male Robin gets the Levin Sword?!

SMASH BROS WII U/3DS IS SEXIST!
Pay attention again, in the earlier ingame video Male Robin also used the Bronze sword, I guess he just uses them similarly like the tomes.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Aiddon said:
Dragonbums said:
Meanwhile Ubisoft reps are choking on their tongues with how much Nintendo has been doing for female characters between this and the unintentional (maybe) harem of Hyrule Warriors.
Honestly they are simply chocking on the amount of game devs and studios making fun of them for that comment in general.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Yay!!!
The 'Cap is back!!!
And his animation in this trailer was awesome.

Never played (3)DS FireEmblem so no idea about the other characters, but seems solid enough!

Then again I was expecting TalesOfSymphonia or Xenoblade character(s) :,(

Guess they still might be revealed "bottom of the barrel", so I'm guessing 1-3 more characters.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
This brings the total revealed character count to 36. Brawl had 39.

Jigglypuff & Ness are the only characters from all 3 previous games not yet announced. It is possible they may bring back only Lucas or neither on the Earthbound side and they already have a record number of Pokemon characters present.

I am fairly confident Mr. Game & Watch will return due to his presence in a previous reveal trailer. Ice Climbers, Falco, and Gannondorf are the only other characters not announced that have been in melee and brawl.

I would be very surprised not to see R.O.B., Meta Knight, and Wario.

This presents a problem as the number of likely characters not yet announced is 9 or more and we already have a large number of known characters. I would be very surprised to see them have 45 or more characters but I guess it isn't impossible.

I remain concerned about the character choices made and just how much room is left on the roster.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
When Robin got revealed I literally got goosebumps :)
and Lucina too, Captian Falcon is meh for me but happy 4 the fans.
Game preordered on 2DS, so much hype

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Captain Falcon... now I can stop worry. Seriously, that was a close one for a while there.

Lucina is a great choice actually. Yeah, I know people wanted Chrom but then we would have 3 blue haired FE characters... yes I know she's got blue hair but another female character is still refreshing.

Robin? Who is Robin? I don't know because my game had a blue haired warrior called Alric... seriously though, a default character kind of seems bland and basically comes off a little "your customization was pointless, this is what he/she is called and looks like, you did it wrong!"

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Captain Falcon confirmed: YAY!
Still no Ganondorf: Boo!
But we have new Fire Emblem Characters: YAY!
Just not Chrom: ... Meh.
One of them is a spellcaster: Fuck yeah!

I'm surprised Lucina isn't going to be an alternate costume for Marth (for obvious reasons). But her inclusion is still overall good (damn this game is full of ladies. Nintendo, compensating much?). But I already love the idea of playing as Robin. Not so much because I like the character, but because I've wanted a Fire Emblem character who can cast magic spells since I started playing Fire Emblem. I was disappointed we never got Soren from the Radiance in the game, but this makes up for that. Now if only we can get a Warrior (axe / bow user) then I'll be set.

No Ridley, Bayo, or Shulk... yeah... kinda sucks, but I gave up on Ridley when they said there'd be Stage-Bosses a few updates ago. I'm still hoping for Shulk and Bayo, but I think it's safe to say that at least one of those isn't going to happen.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Okay, here's how my reactions went when watching this video:

Lucina? They went to the trouble of announcing an announcement and counting down to it, and it's all for Lucina? I was expecting Bayonetta, or someone more prominent thaWHAT? Is that... Robin?

Yes it's Robin! Whoa. I wonder if you'll be able to pick gender and hair color and stuff?

Ooh, and a tome user! We finally get a tome user! Seems a little broken for... ah, so THAT'S how they balance it. Interesting.

Oh jeez, Chrom says "Maybe next time?" That's just cheesy... oh, so this time too? Okay then, I confess I didn't see that coming.

...You can choose Robin's gender? Can I get a YESYESYESYESYES?

Wow. Between this and Hyrule Warriors, Nintendo is basically raising a giant middle finger at Ubisoft.

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
So the only characters missing now are Ness, Wario, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, Mr Game & Watch and R.O.B
ok ok also Lucas, Ice Climbers, Falco, Wolf, Mewtwo and Roy if you must but I'm happy that Sakurai is being bold with this roster and choosing a very wide range of characters

Another thing though, why isn't Toon Link a costume change for Link? You could have child Link from OOT/MM and also classic designs of Link as well but no we get a Skyward Sword costume that looks like nothing that Link ever wore in SS...

I'm guessing no one wants to see Pichu and Jigglypuff again? Thought not. Put them in Pokeballs at least though alongside the other Pokemon characters that have been kicked off the roster as an homage.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
All I wanted for this character announcement was to be surprised, by hopefully having revealed a character not of the Genmatsu leak trio... so yeah, criteria achieved. I really enjoyed the trailer, though my overall thoughts on the characters are a little mixed.

I'm actually okay with there being 4 Fire Emblem reps. While I do feel Fire Emblem shouldn't be having more reps than the Kirby or DK series, and it'd be better suited to having a similar rep count to Metroid (whom it shares a similar amount of games with), it is still a large and now fairly popular series deserving of many reps.

I love the inclusion of Robin. Whilst my personal hopes for an FE newcomer was for Anna, I was personally just going to be happy if they introduced a more unique character than the typical Fire Emblem swordsmen. Sure, Robin uses a sword, but with the tones the character plays uniquely and satisfies.

Lucina's addition I have mixed feelings on. She appears to be a pure clone of Marth, not even a semi-clone, and overall seems to be a rather rushed inclusion done simply as a result of her insane popularity. That said, I just feel disappointment with how she turned out, rather than anger like I did with the inclusion of Mii Fighters and Rosalina & Luma, so it's overall not too big of an issue. I have a feeling that her inclusion may hint to a Melee scenario in production; supposedly near the end of creating Melee, Sakurai and his team had the option of adding one last original character (rumoured to be King Dedede) or six clones (Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, Roy, Falco, Ganondorf) and ultimately chose the latter. I guess we'll know if we see more clone characters announced.

Ghostface2206 said:
Another thing though, why isn't Toon Link a costume change for Link? You could have child Link from OOT/MM and also classic designs of Link as well but no we get a Skyward Sword costume that looks like nothing that Link ever wore in SS...

I'm guessing no one wants to see Pichu and Jigglypuff again? Thought not. Put them in Pokeballs at least though alongside the other Pokemon characters that have been kicked off the roster as an homage.
Toon Link has a considerable height, weight, and speed difference, key statistical differences that a lot of the clones/semi-clones lack in contrast. This gets in the way of making him a skin for Link, as all skins so far such as the Wii Fit Trainer male and female skins, have been shown to play the exact same with the same height and stats.

Also, I'd like to see Jigglypuff return. She is one of the 12 original and has a unique move-set that I enjoy using very much. Sure she was a rather bizarre choice, but she's stuck to the SSB series for three games, and now she has rejuvenated relevancy and potential for new moves thanks to her fairy typing. I'm interested to see what changes they may make to her.

mariosonicfan5

Jun 18, 2012
Its a little hard to tell from the trailer, but Chrom is not a playable character he is going be Robin's final smash, they will do a team up attack. As when it shows Chrom in game Robin can be heard yelling "Chrom!" like calling to him for aide. Come on we don;t need five Fire Emblem character.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
It wasn't Klonoa thus I'm automatically sad but I can live with these guys.
Tactician is my favorite class in Fire Emblem so I'm actually quite happy about getting the player character Robin.