Super Smash Bros. is Done With New Characters

MadTix

May 7, 2008
I really don't see why people are still enraged about Team Star Fox. Maybe it's just the way I fight with each character, but I only really had a problem with Falco in Melee, because at least then he literally was a Fox clone. At least in Brawl, Falco (and to a different degree, Wolf) felt like they played differently than Fox (Final Smash notwithstanding).

Also, since Namco Bandai is helping out this time around, I wouldn't be against seeing a Tales-esque battle system (TotA?), so long as its done right.

Character changes: Incorporate Ganon's sword from TP into the moveset, make Dr. Mario a skin for Mario, Daisy as a skin of Peach, maybe give Luigi the Poltergust 3000 (to act like Mario's FLUDD, if it stays), and if the Zelda timeline permits, maybe a few different adult Links as skins (different skins = different weapons). This is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more rolling around in there.

Also, Knuckles wouldn't hurt, and maybe Lloyd and/or Luke(w/Asch skin)

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Fappy said:
They need to smack Square upside the head and let them use Geno. If not I will settle for Kamek.
Jesus, THANK YOU!!! If all they add is Geno (legal battles be damned), I will be very happy.
I mean, who *doesn't* think Super Mario RPG was one of the best SNES games ever made?

...Oh, and a Megaman character. I don't care if they use Rock, X, or Zero. As long as he's there in some form.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Klagermeister said:
Fappy said:
They need to smack Square upside the head and let them use Geno. If not I will settle for Kamek.
Jesus, THANK YOU!!! If all they add is Geno (legal battles be damned), I will be very happy.
I mean, who *doesn't* think Super Mario RPG was one of the best SNES games ever made?

...Oh, and a Megaman character. I don't care if they use Rock, X, or Zero. As long as he's there in some form.
Super Mario RPG IS the best SNES game ever made!

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
We haven't bloody seen the game yet, so stop saying "OMG I'm so dissapointed with this game anymore why did Nintendo have to ruin mah Smash Bros! I want *insert random character here* to be in there!". Wait until we see the first trailer, which will likely show us the new characters. Also, this whole article is kind of the sort of bullshit that I hate. Nowhere in the quote do they say "We're not putting in new characters", they said that adding in tons of new characters whilst keeping the 35 we have now would make the game a clusterfuck. So yeah, stop making stupid assumptions.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
MrBrightside919 said:
Sixties Spidey said:
Joratron666 said:
Why not include MegaMan, he started on Nintendo? Or how about Simon Belmont or someone from Castlevania, did Nintendo forget they started that series? I mean, include Snake but no Simon or Alucard? There's such an illustrious list of Nintendo characters that could have been utilized instead of just cloning existing characters.
I would ask the same question, but that all comes down to what companies have an agreement with Nintendo to use their characters. That's why Sonic and Snake were in Brawl. I doubt Capcom would let Megaman be used at all, given that Capcom has pretty much wiped their collective balls all over that franchise in every direction and corner, and Konami really has no idea what they're doing with Castlevania or any of their stable franchises. (See also, Silent Hill.)
Castlevania I can see as a possibility...but Silent Hill is pushing it...
Read between the lines, I never said Silent Hill anything should appear in the next Smash Bros. I'm saying that it's unlikely that we'll ever see Konami franchises that started on Nintendo platforms when Konami themselves don't have a clue regarding how to handle their stable franchises like Contra or Castlevania. Silent Hill's the perfect example of Konami standing around with one of their most beloved IPs and going "Just what the fuck do we do with this now?" Snake appearing in Brawl was due to Kojima going "Yeah, why not?".

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
they'll probably add some new characters, but not a gigantic boost like Melee and Brawl did. I just hope they don't pander to the joyless tourney crowd that has thrown a 4-year-long hissy fit over Brawl

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
We haven't bloody seen the game yet, so stop saying "OMG I'm so dissapointed with this game anymore why did Nintendo have to ruin mah Smash Bros! I want *insert random character here* to be in there!". Wait until we see the first trailer, which will likely show us the new characters. Also, this whole article is kind of the sort of bullshit that I hate. Nowhere in the quote do they say "We're not putting in new characters", they said that adding in tons of new characters whilst keeping the 35 we have now would make the game a clusterfuck. So yeah, stop making stupid assumptions.
Ya I don't think anybody said or acted this way...

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
PortalThinker113 said:
This is a REALLY misleading headline. Sakurai never said that there won't be any new characters, or that the character list will be the same as Brawl's. He just said that the NUMBER of characters will likely be similar to that of SSBB. That could imply anything between keeping exactly the same roster or replacing the entire roster with Travis and all the assassins from No More Heroes. Obviously, what SSB4 will actually do will fall in the middle, but saying that this statement implies that "there will be no new characters" is just silly.

I'm all for this move if this means that we're going to see a serious push towards getting rid of clones. Give Ganondorf his own moveset, remove all triple clones at least(Mario/Luigi/Dr. Mario and Fox/Falco/Wolf, I'm looking at you), and tweak some of the balancing issues, and you've really got a winner on your hands. I'm definitely optimistic here.

And for the love of God, at least CONSIDER Travis Touchdown, please? Even Suda51 wants you to!
I agree fully mate. The title should of been something different, right now it's just making people disappointed in something that they don't need to be disappointed in. Also, Travis Touchdown is a possibility seeing as NMH came out pretty much the exact same time as SSB, so they obviously couldn't add him in. So since NMH has been out a while that chance might still be there.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
aba1 said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Ya I don't think anybody said or acted this way...
That's basically what they're saying though. The title mislead them, and made their view of the quote much different. Therefore they're now just getting disappointed in something they don't need to be.

godofslack

May 8, 2011
For some reason I can't help but to imagine a super gritty, M rated game, with no items, there being only one stage and there own being only 2 characters, Fox and Fox. Oh wait, that's the tournament scene. Seriously Nintendo, don't worry about balance, you are about as good at it as you are at making multiplayer games that aren't rage inducing. People don't like SSB because it's balanced, or even that it has interesting characters, because it mostly doesn't, people play it because it's mindless fun where you get to beat up characters from your childhood.

35 characters is fine, but don't lose sight of why people play Super Smash Brothers. And no, competitive SSMB players aren't people, don't let them fool you.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I dunno, figuring out how to use the imbalances between characters created it's own kind of balance. And it's alright to have relatively similar movesets here and there. Toon Link is more fun to play than normal Link, and every showing of Ness and Lucas is a great step in my book, but as long as they fix the Ganondorf problem (one I never cared about anyway), I'm good with this.

Though, here's a thought. Alt version of the character by holding a button from the time you pick to the time the stage opens could be brought back, with more variety. Slight gameplay differences, not just skins, I mean. Mario/Dr Mario, Fox/Wolf, Gannondorf/Ganon, things like that.

JWRosser said:
Well that's silly. What's the point in releasing a new game with no new characters? Just patch the old one if you're going to do that...
They didn't say they weren't changing the roster, they're just not gong to increase it in size.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
If I read the correctly it is more of a "We are going to have around 35 characters" and not "We are not going have any new characters". Cut out the clones and the unpopular/underpowered/overpowered characters and that still gives plenty of room for new characters.

One Fox is enough thank you.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
Although I'd like to see a new character or two, I kind of have to agree with them on this. Hell just removing the random tripping mechanic from the game and fix Olimar's Up-B and I'm all for whatever they come up with.

@Tizzy: Like the avatar!

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
Terminate421 said:
I'm tired of the Mewtwo/Lucario War. Since their attacks are virtually similar, just have them as skins.
what is this war you speak of, i did not know people where being murdered and killed in droves for this. or do you mean debate?

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Sixties Spidey said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Sixties Spidey said:
Joratron666 said:
Why not include MegaMan, he started on Nintendo? Or how about Simon Belmont or someone from Castlevania, did Nintendo forget they started that series? I mean, include Snake but no Simon or Alucard? There's such an illustrious list of Nintendo characters that could have been utilized instead of just cloning existing characters.
I would ask the same question, but that all comes down to what companies have an agreement with Nintendo to use their characters. That's why Sonic and Snake were in Brawl. I doubt Capcom would let Megaman be used at all, given that Capcom has pretty much wiped their collective balls all over that franchise in every direction and corner, and Konami really has no idea what they're doing with Castlevania or any of their stable franchises. (See also, Silent Hill.)
Castlevania I can see as a possibility...but Silent Hill is pushing it...
Read between the lines, I never said Silent Hill anything should appear in the next Smash Bros. I'm saying that it's unlikely that we'll ever see Konami franchises that started on Nintendo platforms when Konami themselves don't have a clue regarding how to handle their stable franchises like Contra or Castlevania. Silent Hill's the perfect example of Konami standing around with one of their most beloved IPs and going "Just what the fuck do we do with this now?" Snake appearing in Brawl was due to Kojima going "Yeah, why not?".
Why couldn't they? Everything character wise from outside Nintendo has had some sort of connection to past Nintendo...major or not...

Snake started out on the MSX and NES with Metal Gear, a pretty famous NES game...
Castlevania was pretty much Nintendo only until Symphony of the Night...
Sonic was Nintendo and Mario's biggest rival in the 90's...

It's surprising developers with connections to Nintendo aren't bursting into the room, begging Nintendo to put their characters into new Smash Bros games, considering it's probably the most popular "Party Fighting Game" out there...and they would want their characters to get some kind of exposure...

Maybe i'm reading too much into this or maybe people aren't reading enough into it. I'm not getting my hopes up or anything, but outright saying "NO! NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!" is a little premature...

Just because they are going in a different direction with Castlevania, doesn't mean they've forgotten their past (Trevor and Simon returning in the new 3DS Castlevania), considering how many times they've re-released the older titles...and just because you may have different tastes doesn't mean the "New Castlevania" is bad...I think it has a lot of potential...

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012

They wont add any more characters because of the rush to complete the game for the Wii U Launch, lets be honest Nintendo that's the truth right?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Brawl has 35 characters, which is nice, but way too many of them were clones of others.

Hopefully Namco Bandai fixes that. Tekken Tag Tournament 2's gonna have over 50 characters, and to my knowledge only a small number of them might be or have been clones before. So their inclusion in developing this game hopefully bodes well.

That said, if they aren't introducing any new characters, I currently don't see the draw for this game.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
FantomOmega said:

They wont add any more characters because of the rush to complete the game for the Wii U Launch, lets be honest Nintendo that's the truth right?
Nope, they've said that it won't be released by launch and there's been no showing even though every Wii U launch game has been shown so far. Also, they didn't say they won't add any more characters. They said they won't be making the roster much bigger. It doesn't count out them swapping. Finally, Sakurai only finished Kid Icarus: Uprising about half a year ago, so with the Wii U launch being this Christmas I really don't see it being out by then.