Super Smash Bros. is Done With New Characters

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
tofulove said:
Terminate421 said:
I'm tired of the Mewtwo/Lucario War. Since their attacks are virtually similar, just have them as skins.
what is this war you speak of, i did not know people where being murdered and killed in droves for this. or do you mean debate?
Debate implies a civilised exchange of opinions, when I read anyone talking about SB characters anywhere I don't see that. Haha.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Terminate421 said:
I'm tired of the Mewtwo/Lucario War. Since their attacks are virtually similar, just have them as skins.
Exactly. Mario and Luigi could be a skin. That frees up a slot. Lucario and Mewtwo could be a skin. That frees up a slot. All of the Star Fox characters could. If Sonic makes a return, he could have a Shadow skin. Link and Toon Link had identical attacks. Throw Young Link in there, too, why not.

A handful of free slots right there.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
At first I was concerned, but then I remembered the next Smash Bros. is likely going to be on the Wii U (unless they decide to go 3DS first) so I won't buy it either way

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
If fan-based hacks can balance the gameplay with the current roster, surely Nintendo should be able to balance it even with a larger roster considering how much more easily they can tamper with the game.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Ghonzor said:
At first I was concerned, but then I remembered the next Smash Bros. is likely going to be on the Wii U (unless they decide to go 3DS first) so I won't buy it either way
They've said it's being made for both the 3DS and Wii U. So you won't have to touch the Wii U with a ten foot pole.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
Ghonzor said:
They've said it's being made for both the 3DS and Wii U. So you won't have to touch the Wii U with a ten foot pole.
Damn, now I have to care a little.

And a ten foot pole would be generous.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Ghonzor said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Ghonzor said:
Damn, now I have to care a little.

And a ten foot pole would be generous.
You're kind of sounding like you would only really fully care about the game if it were released on something like the Xbox or PS3. Because if so, then you really don't care about the franchise at all don't you?

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
Or you know, you could stop re-releasing the same game over and over again and come up with a new gameplay or style or something. Then again it's Nintendo, so I strongly doubt that'll happen soon.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
You're kind of sounding like you would only really fully care about the game if it were released on something like the Xbox or PS3. Because if so, then you really don't care about the franchise at all don't you?
I've been playing SSB since the original on the N64. It was one of my favorite games as a kid, and Melee was spectacular. I don't prefer any console really, they all have their merits. I do know that I will never buy a Wii U because it just seems silly right now, and a Smash Bros. game on the 3DS seems like it won't be as fleshed out as the console version. I'm really just being silly by poking fun at the Wii U and feigning apathy. I'd love to see the new game be fantastic, I'm just not going to get my hopes up this time around.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
monkey_man said:
Or you know, you could stop re-releasing the same game over and over again and come up with a new gameplay or style or something. Then again it's Nintendo, so I strongly doubt that'll happen soon.
Oh goddamnit, I fucking hate comments like this. I'm not saying that Nintendo's games are always developed to make cornerstones of innovation. But seriously, look at the massive creativity in Super Mario Galaxy, Pikmin, Skyward Sword and Smash Bros compared to the CoD series, or any bloody series for that matter. What do you expect Nintendo to do? Make Mario into a third person adventure game? Completely seperating it from its roots. Or make Super Smash Bros into another generic fighter with complicated button combinations?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Ghonzor said:
ToastiestZombie said:
I've been playing SSB since the original on the N64. It was one of my favorite games as a kid, and Melee was spectacular. I don't prefer any console really, they all have their merits. I do know that I will never buy a Wii U because it just seems silly right now, and a Smash Bros. game on the 3DS seems like it won't be as fleshed out as the console version. I'm really just being silly by poking fun at the Wii U and feigning apathy. I'd love to see the new game be fantastic, I'm just not going to get my hopes up this time around.
But think about it. The Wii U has the Pro controller, which doesn't have the screen if you don't like it. So use that if SSB comes out for it. Also think about it. The new SSB will be made by the legends of fighting games, Namco Bandai, and will be the first one on a fully HD console. It will also probably be the first one with proper, lag free online because it's not being made by Nintendo anymore. Unless they do something REALLY bad to the series, I see no reason why a die hard fan of SSB such as yourself shouldn't get a Wii U just for the game. The Gamecube in my eyes was shit, and in my eyes the Wii U is already looking better than it. Yet people still bought the console just to play Melee.

But really, all this discussion is stupid. We're talking about a game that's VERY early in development and hasn't even got a trailer yet.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
ToastiestZombie said:
FantomOmega said:

They wont add any more characters because of the rush to complete the game for the Wii U Launch, lets be honest Nintendo that's the truth right?
Nope, they've said that it won't be released by launch and there's been no showing even though every Wii U launch game has been shown so far. Also, they didn't say they won't add any more characters. They said they won't be making the roster much bigger. It doesn't count out them swapping. Finally, Sakurai only finished Kid Icarus: Uprising about half a year ago, so with the Wii U launch being this Christmas I really don't see it being out by then.
Point taken, but keep in mind that they have touted this game during E3 so at least next year would imply this game being released since the Exclusives will have to define the system at launch since the other 3rd party games set for the Wii U have already been released or going to be released multiplatform

It's hard to believe Reggie said that "gamers are insatiable" in a previous announcement then this present announcement reflects on how Nintendo will respond to those fan "expectations"

It makes you feel that they wont even "try" to get more people interested since this news just says "same as before which is great but not to expect much more than that"

Why is Nintendo so hard pressed to create more than TWO in-house games at a time!? If you got the money to waste on a new system that could be redundant in two years why not have more studios to work on more titles simultaneously instead on risking on outsourcing and ruining your franchises like Metroid the other M?

Their business model is far too "conservative" for this current "core" gaming market, we want confidence not assurances that are in fact apologies at what they did not ADD to the game

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Ah, but this doesn't necessarily mean they won't have new characters! Hopefully they'll trade out some of those clones for some franchises that haven't had an appearance yet.

My hopes for a Golden Sun representative are still alive.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
*sigh*
Sakurai, Y U NO SHUT UP? Whatever you say, people are gonna either twist your words right in your mouth or rage for no apparent reason. How about developing about a third of the game before even commenting anything about it? Also, the hype with brawl was ridiculous but now it's getting out of hand. I love me smashing some brothers but really... really? Ain't there any recent games worth talking about? Oh... it's july... so I guess not (unless we're counting fucking Kingdom Heart NOT 3)

In regards to the news... I know it's a slow gaming month but is there NOTHING more interesting to talk about ? Please? I'll even play RPS against the robot hand until I win!

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
FantomOmega said:
Well, I would say their first party launch line-up is pretty decent.

Pikmin 3, Super Mario Bros U and Nintendo Land. Nintendo Land for the casuals, SMBU for the Nintendo fans who will buy it day one and Pikmin 3 for everyone else. Also, they're actually working on quite a lot of titles right now. Those three above, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Animal Crossing 3DS, NSMB2, Wii Fit U, Luigi's Mansion 2 and a few more I probably can't remember.

Also, they've got ZombiU, which is looking to be good. Also the Lego Grand Theft Auto game looks awesome. Same with Project100, or whatever that mysterious game is called. And pretty much most of the game releases coming out around the time of the launch are coming out for the Wii U too.

To be frank, the Wii U's launch line-up is pretty damn good compared to the Xbox 360's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch which only two notable titles were CoD 2 and Condemned. And the PS3's launch line-up was just abysmal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch with it's main titles being Resistance and Riiidddggee Raaaccceeerrr!

ZigTheHunter

May 14, 2011
This is kind of dumb, as other have said, They themselves don't want Smash Bros. to be a serious competitive fighter, but all of a sudden balance is now there concern. The majority of fans could care less for balance they just want more characters, this is honestly not a very smart move on their part.

I also have to agree with the others that the clone characters like falco and Wolf should just be an alternate skin with different voices for the characters there based off. Of course not for Ganon, heshould be given a new moveset entirely. This would leave room for a few new characters(and Mewtwo's return).

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Aww really. I was so hoping Dimentio from Super Paper Mario could be put into the game. He's such an awesome villain when though the game mechanics made the everything in the game easy to beat. But he's still so awesome.

Ciao for now.

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
I grow increasingly tired of people accusing Brawl of having clones. There were NO clones in Brawl. The star fox characters had similar B-moves, but had incredibly different A-move sets and play styles.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
monkey_man said:
Oh goddamnit, I fucking hate comments like this. I'm not saying that Nintendo's games are always developed to make cornerstones of innovation. But seriously, look at the massive creativity in Super Mario Galaxy, Pikmin, Skyward Sword and Smash Bros compared to the CoD series, or any bloody series for that matter. What do you expect Nintendo to do? Make Mario into a third person adventure game? Completely seperating it from its roots. Or make Super Smash Bros into another generic fighter with complicated button combinations?
o_o Dude, it was a sarcastically posted comment, I had no intention of causing anger, it's just that it's getting kinda stale, rereleasing the same game over and over again, surely this will come to an end one day? Just for the sake of sanity? [And I do believe there already have been 3d/third person mario's, and Mario's an adventure game, so what's your point?]

oh dear oh dear. Anyway, I never really liked brawl that much, it's a bit of a clusterf*ck. I just hope it'll be an original one, just for the sake of the internets. I still doubt that though, a change of scenery isn't much of a sequel, more of an add-on if you ask me.
And my comment was directed to all of the cloned games from today, not just Brawl, it was just an example for me to rant about what I believe is wrong with the gaming industry.
This is exactly why I delete most of my posts before actually posting them, they have a tendency to blow up. Captcha: zombie prom, oh great, now we've got that as well. brilliant.

[edit]
Also, Brawl is basically a generic fighter, and there's almost no creativity in the re-releasing of the same game, hence the re-release title it gets. A sequel is only good if it uses the original as a stepping stone, not if it wallows in it like something dead.
I refuse to feel bad because of Nintendo, just because they [mostly] deserve it

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
reiem531 said:
I grow increasingly tired of people accusing Brawl of having clones. There were NO clones in Brawl. The star fox characters had similar B-moves, but had incredibly different A-move sets and play styles.
Fox and Falco were not all THAT different but wolf was definitely different. The average player would not notice all that much difference between Fox and Falco. I know me and my friends could point out a ton of differences but they are all small and at the end of the day they really are incredibly close and are just clones who had changes made to help set each other apart.