Superman Quits America, Fox News Readers Take the News Badly

Fitzcaraldo

Member of three secret societies
Feb 2, 2011
MoriartyCylon said:
It's Fox and their followers, no surprise there.
This is a good thing. I'm not an american, yet I love that damn country. So much good comes from there (burgers, anyone?) yet one thing I'd love to see irradicated is patriotism, not just from americans.

What's there to be proud of? So you were lucky enough you parents bumped uglies on american soil? Big deal!
So you could be the shittiest human being alive, but as long as your a patriot, you have something to be proud of?

Back on topic, I love comics and I've always been a supporter of "Hero of the World" rather then "Hero of America" or "whatchamacallitstan."

I like my superheroes unbiased when it comes to the whole saving thing. I'm sure even Captain America wouldn't fight in a war he deemed inhuman even if that meant going againt America.
Actually burgers were invented in Germany. They're named after Hamburg. But yes I get your point.

OT: I started reading the comments on that story and ended spending like half an hour there. All the hate and counter-hate is sort of mesmerising.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Jumplion said:
Okay, seriously what the fuck is up with bolding every other word in a character's sentence in comic books?

Seriously, it's really annoying to read unnecessary emphasis on words that don't need emphasizing! Can someone explain to me why this crap keeps going on?
Yeah, I dislike that too. I presume it was originally to give an emphasis on certain words but it's morphed into random bolding that can make it hard to follow the speech occasionally.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Thomas Guy said:
First off, the Fox News thing didn't even need to be mentioned. Secondly, this is a rather stupid story.
Predictably, I disagree. It's interesting, and it puts the story in context. As for it being stupid, again, I disgaree, but I'm curious about why you think that.
Okay after re reading what I wrote, I want to clarify. I don't think your article was stupid, but the original story was stupid. Or at least poorly executed. Captain America during Civil War was fantastic. I found his turn against the administration at the time rather well plotted and thought out. This Superman story however seems like it would have more of an impact if it was part of a larger story. As it is, it seems either a quick jab or a writers long standing issue with the character. I would have no problem if this was part of a larger story. Perhaps one in which Superman was experiencing a major pushback from the government on his citizenship, or one in which the government attempted to hijack him to push issues on the public or attempt to use him as a weapon in a war. Your story was well written except for the Fox News part. Really not needed to me.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
I lol'd at these "Pro-Americans". Nationality is useless garbage/luggage. Get over yourself and start embracing other cultures and people.
Please do us all a favor and stop being silly. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about and really should just not say anything.

National pride and group identification can be both VERY good and VERY bad. The idea that supporting the ideals of this country and being proud of our accomplishments is somehow denigrating to the rest of the world is nonsense. To assume that people who display/believe in national pride are not capable/willing to embrace other cultures is nonsense.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I wonder if any of them have read Red Son...might want to avoid letting them have that one...

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Orange Monkey said:
Well yes, Superman always did embody the american way, Illegal Immigration.
I loved that in a recent issue of Superman, Supes berates a couple of aliens who fled to Earth from their doomed planet. Hypocritical much?

Generic_Dave said:
I wonder if any of them have read Red Son...might want to avoid letting them have that one...
Red Son doesn't count because it didn't really happen.

Oh...wait...

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
I can see both sides here.

On one hand, Superman's line about "The American Way" not being enough anymore can be taken very badly.

On the other hand, he isn't technically from the U.S. in the first place.

However, I have to agree with the "hate crowd" on this one. I'm not going to start calling anyone unAmerican, but Superman has been an American comic book staple for quite a few decades, and that was his "main thing" for the longest time.

And that line about "The American Way" was pretty bad writing in my opinion. To say that your character's "catch phrase" for his entire existence doesn't cut it anymore? Bad idea DC.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
You guys wanna see right wingers really go apeshit over this?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2711814/posts
Batman, the true American patriot... globe-trotting across the world setting up an international network of heroes...

I don't think I've ever seen Batman do anything remotely 'FOR MY COUNTRY!'

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
GiantRaven said:
Orange Monkey said:
Well yes, Superman always did embody the american way, Illegal Immigration.
I loved that in a recent issue of Superman, Supes berates a couple of aliens who fled to Earth from their doomed planet. Hypocritical much?
Dear god seriously? The man is the poster child for Earth as a haven for aliens --_-- considering his teammates are usually Martians, Thanagarians, Kryptonians and Whatever the hell people from Apokalips are called.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
WooHoo Age of America coming to an end!!
Wait.....I'm starting college in America this fall.......Fuck!