Superman Quits America, Fox News Readers Take the News Badly

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Orange Monkey said:
Well yes, Superman always did embody the american way, Illegal Immigration.
When'd the Native American Indians nationalise all of you guys?
The joke doesn't really work, since "Native" American Indians were immigrants as well, they had just come over from Asia awhile back.
Yes but they were the first humans to be on American soil.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Exterminas said:
I like how there isn't even any logic in it.

Superman goes from being an US-Citizen to being a World-Citizen.
This is America Hate how?

America is part of the world. In his transsition he doesn't take away his affection for america, but takes on some more for the rest of the planet. How is this in any way bad for America? It is still part of this world, right?
I don't see how a person, fictional or otherwise, renouncing his citizenship to a country, isn't a slap in the face to that country.

The backlash is easily understandable.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Okysho said:
Superman is a Canadian creation actually.

See, this is why people tend to dislike the US in other parts of the world. Do you realize how elitist that sounds. "We don't have to care about anyone else but ourselves!" We live in a world where everyone is connected all the time all around the world. There's nothing wrong with actually improving international relations instead of just using people or being a jerk. It's part of the information age we live in. Get used to it, or you might find that eventually everyone's going to back the US into a corner.
Um, actually Superman is an American creation. Joe Shuster being born in Canada, doesn't change the fact that he was a.) also an American b.) was the co-creator c.) was living in Cleveland when they came up with the idea.

See, this is why I tend to dislike the people who post on this site. Not enough decency to do a simple internet search on something as well known as Superman. "I don't care about the facts, just what I can type to promote my opinion". We live in a world where everyone thinks their ideology trumps factual data. Where people believe that cultural sensitivity is more important than freedom of speech, or expression. It's part of the burden America bears as a superpower, damned if you do/damned if you don't. Well get used to it, because the world is already starting to realized what happens when our ideals are compromised in lieu of some misguided attempt at globalization.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Genuine Evil said:
He is no true American I want to see a birth certificate .
He crashed landed in America, he was raised in America, I'm willing to bet that some where back in all those issues of Superman, he was made a US citizen. It is a part of the lore of the character. This change is just a really stupid and nut-job political statement move done by a stray writer.

This whole incident will obviously and rightfully so, be retconned.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
je whiz I never saw this coming!
Superman isn't going to turn his back on American value,s just his citizenship so his act,s aren't seen as acts of the US.

Dice Warwick

Nov 29, 2010
so he wasn't already a global superhero!? People seem to forget that like captain America, Superman is a Liberal superhero, and they are not going to act in a conservative Pro-American way, That's what Ironman and batman is there for.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
theApoc said:
Okysho said:

See, this is why people tend to dislike the US in other parts of the world. Do you realize how elitist that sounds. "We don't have to care about anyone else but ourselves!" We live in a world where everyone is connected all the time all around the world. There's nothing wrong with actually improving international relations instead of just using people or being a jerk. It's part of the information age we live in. Get used to it, or you might find that eventually everyone's going to back the US into a corner.
Um, actually Superman is an American creation. Joe Shuster being born in Canada, doesn't change the fact that he was a.) also an American b.) was the co-creator c.) was living in Cleveland when they came up with the idea.

See, this is why I tend to dislike the people who post on this site. Not enough decency to do a simple internet search on something as well known as Superman. "I don't care about the facts, just what I can type to promote my opinion". We live in a world where everyone thinks their ideology trumps factual data. Where people believe that cultural sensitivity is more important than freedom of speech, or expression. It's part of the burden America bears as a superpower, damned if you do/damned if you don't. Well get used to it, because the world is already starting to realized what happens when our ideals are compromised in lieu of some misguided attempt at globalization.
Random question, how is it a case of cultural sensitivity being more important then freedom of speech? Are these authors not practicing their own freedom of speech by following this storyline? Or are you simply referring to broader problems in Western society? If it's the second I somewhat agree with you due to the insane logic of my country's Human Rights Commission.

And just as an aside, with the way things are going the U.S. isn't going to hold that 'superpower' position (one could argue that it's already lost it) for much longer unless some radical reforms take place. Step one would be to stop attempting to police the world the 'American way'.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Alon Shechter said:
Yeah, and I bet me even DARING to STEP on non-american soil makes me a Nazi America-hating bastard.
I gave up on American people's intelligence when they, the descendants of immigrants that built this nation, refuse to let immigrants in because they are "stealing our jobs".
First off, America was built by colonists; there's a big difference.

America "lets in" thousands of immigrants legally through the immigration process. My parents came here in the '60's, got green cards, socials, the whole nine yards, and got their citizenship normally. They didn't sneak in, sponge off the system, refuse to learn the language and culture just to make a few bucks, which is what the illegals do. They're not immigrants, they're criminals intent on sponging off the system and making a buck. What they do basically pisses on the hard work of people who come here with nothing but the shirts on their backs and go through the long, painful system legally. Your country sucks? I feel for you, I really do, but that's no reason to start your stay off here the wrong way. We have a system and it works (mostly in a creaky, unsatisfactory, not 100% way, but it works)

Please, educate yourself. Go talk to someone who came here legally and see what they went through and why.

That said, this isn't about that. It's about sales.

This is just another stupid bullshit attempt to boost flagging readership with controversy. (see Dragon Age and their "sex scandal", another sales ploy) Superman's invincible, wins every fight all the time, and that gets boring after 900 fucking issues. Next time sales take a nose-dive, they'll have him turn gay, which will piss more people off, or kill Lois, or any number of a dozen other appalling things to make people buy a copy of their book. It's a bullshit sales ploy.

There's nothing wrong with Superman being an American and standing for "the American Way" just like there's nothing wrong with Doctor Who being fundamentally British or Kaneda being Japanese. They're that way because that's the way they are, and you know what? Their stories are successful and entertaining (mostly). When fucking idiot hack writers change things up just to make a buck, or to go along with their own political leanings, WE'RE THE PEOPLE WHO GET SCREWED. Go see Hollywood's fucked up version of Akira when it comes out and tell me how much you love it . Akira's a Japanese story, with Japanese characters and very Japanese themes. It won't work when set in America, France, or anywhere else for that reason. That's not racism, that's just the way things are.

Ever seen Nightwatch or its sequels? Very, very Russian. Would not work if set in, say LA. Fun fact: the rest of the world doesn't live in and couldn't give a shit about LA, so stop setting things there. Ditto New York.

Hey, DC comics writer. Your book sucks because your writing sucks. Come up with something that doesn't involve the main character dying for shock value, becoming gay for shock value, or fighting/becoming zombies. Come up with a story that has a point to it. Something entertaining that we'd want to read.

This is a cheap grab for attention, and it's vacuous bullshit that has nothing to do with the how and the why of Superman. You might as well "reboot" the series with Clark Kent being an out-of-work alcoholic tax cheat hiding from the IRS in Sheboygan.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
theApoc said:
Okysho said:

That info WAS from an internet search. In context of this argument, saying that the creator was in America at the time of creating superman is like saying that since Kal-El was found in Kansas, that automatically makes him American. Joe Shuster was born in Canada.

Freedom of speech may give you the right to act like a jerk, but that doesn't mean you'll be liked for it. It's the right winged conservatives that need to "get used to it" as you put it, because the world IS globalized and America is not the superpower it thinks it is (or even was). It's that blind ignorance that you people have and your uneducated pride that make people dislike you so much.

Did I mention you REALLY come off as an elitist? "It's America's duty to police the world!"

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
Zero=Interrupt said:
Brad Shepard said:
Got to love over reacting, right wing asshats
Sure, because over-reacting, left-wing asshats are /such/ a pleasure to read.
Oh your funny, Both sides are fucking stupid, and anyone who cant realize that is the bggest asshats of all.
I /am/ funny! Thank you Brad Shepard!

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Evilsanta said:
...Wow, A FOX article that isn't complte BS and lies? I am impressed. Though the comments are just so funny that is sad.
Truly the end of the world is upon us! FOX reported something accurate! REPENT NOW YOU WORTHLESS FOOLS REPENT FOR YOUR SINS.....oooh a cookie.. NOM

Oh anyways, I like where the comics are going with this. I mean Superman has saved the world millions of time, why should he restrict himself to one country? Jesus America, Superman is an illegal alien anyways....hehehe

Either way I'd rather have Superman appeal to the entire world than just a select few countries. Everyone needs a superhero.

So stop being greedy America....oh and one more thing

REPEEEEEEEENT REPEEENT We're all going to die in a horrible world ending explosion choreographed by Micheal Bay!!!

Temah

Dec 5, 2010
Some people just arn't worth the oxygen they're breathing, let them wallow in the hate and ignore them.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
So, is DC finally taking a stand?
What's next, Supes is going to liberate a certain concentration camp on Cuba, and free a certain Bradley M. from torture prison?

Hehe. Just more death throes of a dying industry. Does anyone still buy DC or Marvel comics, at all and outside their hardcore audience? And especially outside the US, which apparently prompted this... if this is anything else but a desperate attempt to get non-USians interested in Superman I can't see what.