Superman Quits America, Fox News Readers Take the News Badly

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
Uber Waddles said:
FOR FUCKS SAKE, LEAVING AMERICA TO HELP THE WORLD DOESNT MEAN YOU HATE AMERICA. IT MEANS THERE GOING FOR A DIFFERENT STORY AND GLOBAL APPEAL.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. People have to have something wrong with them if they think this is some "liberal propaganda" or whatever. He's leaving America to protect the rest of the world, and so he's not seen as a tool for the US. That doesnt mean you hate America. It means you have a mindset for the rest of the world.

Seriously, there's better stuff to be upset about and to blog about. Let the nerds keep to the comic books. It has nothing to do with anything political, so why is Fox concerned about it?
anything to keep the paranoia train rolling.

PureLocke

Jan 18, 2011
Tdc2182 said:
He now needs a suit that looks like the Earth.

Somebody get on that, quick!
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-05-03-captainplanet1.jpg
Found it, even has the super-mullet.

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
All he's saying is that he doesn't want to be used as a political tool for a single nation and is putting the whole of the world in front. Honestly it's what I would do too. I'm sure he's not going to go AGAINST America. He's just not exclusively protecting them anymore or anything like that. Bleh....people.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
I can only say:
"Lol Americans"
Seriously though, I'm secretly suprised that in the commics Superman is considered to be American. Yay Clark Kent is of course American, but Superman? Kinda feels like saying God is American.
Owh yeah wait. Eeeeuhm. I have no further point to push.
"Lol Americans"

Seriously though for any Americans out there. I love you guys, you're a great people. I met roughly a hundred Americans the last year and a half and the overwhelming majority were very inspiring to me. Still.

"Lol Americans"

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
I think Superman renouncing his American citizenship makes more American than we think.

Reishadowen

Mar 18, 2011
Augh...really? People are that upset about this? I'd say they've finally gone off the deep end, but seriously folks: This is COMIC BOOKS, we are talking about. They've done pretty much everything they can by now just to shake things up and get readers interested. I would actually be VERY surprised if something like this hasn't actually happened in comics before, with politicians and circumstances of an earlier age. On a side note, it sounds like they've taken a page from the movie "Watchmen" perhaps.

Personally, I'd call the plot point of Superman renouncing his citizenship pants-on-head retarded, but let's be realistic: Comics have come up with some pretty stupid s*** before, and I can't see anything stopping that any time soon.

Besides, who actually even TRIES to keep up with American superhero comics anymore? It's more convoluted than....yeah, actually now that I think about it, there's nothing in that league to compare it to. It's THAT ridiculous...

Galloglasses

Jan 14, 2009
Hahaha I love these situations.

No not the conservative readers being up in arms but because threads like these display the sheer WEALTH of arrogance of Liberal minded people.

Oh God it is so hilarious to flip through this thread and see just as many transgressions of people being stupid, self righteous ''AND NOT IDEOLOGICALLY BIASED AT ALL, NOPE'' when they totally are. You know, everything they accuse the right wingers on the fox news article comments of being and hate them for. It would be beautiful if it wasn't so sad and hypocritical. I go to fox news and other right leaning sites to amuse myself with the idiocy of the american right, then everywhere else to see the idiocy of the american left, and on occasion, their friends further afield who put themselves in the same boat.

Delicious irony is delicious.

Peace from Ireland.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
It makes sense. Superman protects the whole world in the DCU, not just America. And globalization is a reality.

thelastgentleman

Sep 16, 2010
Am I the only one who feels kind of hurt? Why superman why :( We took you in and fed you. Loved you when you were just a lad, and hated you when you had spinoffs. Either way we Americans have always been there for you to keep your legacy alive. Its ok to go save the rest of the world, but why give up citizenship?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
meganmeave said:
Oh please. Now these idiots realize the comic book industry is liberal? That's almost like coming to the epiphany that Stephen Colbert, is in fact, not on Bill O'Reilly's side.
O'Reilly has mellowed out alot over the years Him and J.S. agree alot more then they used to, TBH.

Maldeus

Mar 24, 2009
Stupid writing coming from the comments section of a blog is not news, even if it's coming from the comments section of a blog your audience happens to dislike.

On O'Reilly's mellowness, however, I wonder if it's because Glenn Beck's been doing the "right wing alarmist" shtick better than him, so he's decided to go a more moderate route to stop himself from becoming "like Glenn Beck, but worse at it?" I never watch O'Reilly, since his divisive, bullying presentation of his viewpoints angers me even more on the occasions when I share them than at the times when I don't, so I don't really know how he's been. But from my experience, Glenn Beck's seriously gone off the deep end, which makes me sad. He used to be cool. I've been meaning to go over his archives sometime and see if he started noticeably slipping towards extremism/alarmism after he left CNN for FOX, or after Obama got elected, or after his popularity spiked. Of course, since these events all happened pretty close together, it's hard to say for sure.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
Harbinger_ said:
Especially since his character is a Canadian creation.

I don't understand how according to alot of Americans it seems that they are the only country that stands for peace and freedom. The freedom part I find ironic with the amount of privacy infringing bills that the previous US government tried to pass.
You are right my good sir, America isn't the only country in the world to stand for truth, justice and freedom! There's also... come to think of it, there isn't any country that does that, including the US. We whine and throw a fit anytime we propose anything the involves sending soldiers to fight and save lives. And even when our leaders are forced to ignore the populace and do it anyway, they ignore the people who actually NEED help and focus on areas that give them perks. That perk, BTW, usually comes in Barrel form now a days. We blindly face the rest of the world telling everyone we will "DEFEND DEMOCRACY WHEREVER IT SHALL RAISE ITS HEAD IN DEFIANCE TO A DICTATOR! ... except China. And North Korea. And most of Africa, Syria, bohrain, Egypt, Libya, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan... you know what, lets just say we defend some of the people, some of the time. Sound better?"

I'd gladly fight for a nation that actually did what you people are saying it does. Personally, I don't blame Superman. In fact, I have a favor to ask, could you go to china and kick the living shit out of Hu Jintao and the rest of the CCP? Please someone really needs to get around to dealing with those ass holes.

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
I think that's pretty cool, and in some ways, about damn time. For a while in the Superman universe, it seemed to me that he may as well have had the American flag as a cape. Besides, is the U.S.A. really enough to contain the Man of Steel?

OwainGlyndwr1000

Feb 26, 2011
Well, I'd be a little pissed too, I think. I mean, Superman has always been the iconic american superhero. It's just a fact. The idea of him dramatically renouncing his citizenship seems both ill timed and unnecessary. The whole thing feels like one of those "Take That!"s aimed at Bush or just about any other Republican/conservatice figure, only it arrived too late (by the by, when was the comic written? ). I'm a patriotic Welshman (Take That the Monarchy!) and I actually feel sort of happy with Superman as a hero upholding American ideals- because they're damn fine ideals to hold. The whole thing just smells like an empty political gesture aimed towards pro-American fans, which will probably be followed up with a bunch of lame lectures aimed towards the same group, the kind of intellectual content found on any of the commenters sounding off on this forum. And judging by the amount of people here who seem to regard any kind of tacit support of the US as a good country with some excellent founding ideals as an intellectual and moral failing, if I were a patriotic superman fan I would be worried about the direction Superman was taking.
And it's been said before, but- The US Gets a Black President, and Superman resigns? Yeah, I think we all know what's going on there...

Jagji56

Oct 29, 2009
heres a question: dose a superhero have citizenship anyway? I mean, they are never seen any where else but saving people, so when do they have time to sing one of those citizenship things?

KirbyKrackle

Apr 25, 2011
Well, it's nice to see a desperate-cry-for-media-attention, please-read-our-books marketing ploy that isn't a cheap he's-really-dead-we-really-really-mean-it-this-time-dead-for-ever-honest! death for once.

It's also kind of interesting (if odd) to see a company that usually won't even name the current president these days (and I think actually currently has a fictional president) involving itself in a bit of politics now and then. I look forward to the many amusing problems that will cause.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
captainfluoxetine said:
Because any comic other than the continuation of Farscape in comic book form is rubbish. Thats scientific fact. Theres no EVIDENCE, but its fact.
Wow. That takes a dump on entire medium. One that has some fantastic stories (even amazingly ones not about superheroes).

(Humourous tone acknowledged, not overreacting and taking statement completely seriously)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh Fox, you silly bunch. This isn't NEWS. Go back to making it up for Prime Time.