Supposedly Difficult Bosses That You Found to be Easy?

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
Pikachu and Snorlax in Dark Souls.
Seriously, they are FUN. By far my favourite boss(es) in the game.
4 Kings really aren't that hard but I'm a natural at dodging in DS for some reason so I just faceroll them and abuse them I-Frames... Infact that was my strategy for everything and funnily enough the hardest boss for me (or at least the one that took the longest) was Gwyn.

zarker

Oct 14, 2012
Maneaters in Demon's Souls. I don't think I've ever died to them, even on NG+. Beating them on a pure melee build is as simple as putting your back to the torch in the middle. If you rotate around it with your shield up they almost never hit you and it's nearly impossible to fly off the edge.

But the Flamelurker still gives me nightmares....

The only other I can think of is the final boss in FTL. Beat it on my first run of the game on Easy. That was a disappointment.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Gottesstrafe said:
Broderick said:
Caramel Frappe said:
In Dark Souls, the hardest boss is Manus. He's from the DLC as the final boss.

Let me tell you- he's REALLY hard if you're not prepared. Not only that, you're screwed if you're soloing him on NG+ unprepared. I remember dying to him 34x before beating him by a notch of health left. The only reason I found him to be easy without even losing a quarter of my health next time was because of a few things...

• 1) I was able to summon Sif to help me. When you rescue him, he actually aids you (hard to find his summon sign during the fight though.)

2) Having the silver pendant repels all of his dark magic so he's basically wasting his time.

3) The character I used was a tank / faith build with a strong shield, so I was able to block 100% of physical attacks.

4) Sunlight blade. It wrecks Manus especially if the Sunlight blade is enchanted on a 15+ Murakumo.

With all of these, he was pretty easy. Don't get me wrong though, without Sif, my build or having a good spell- he's really tough. Heaven forbid if you're a guy with less then 800 HP he'll kill you in a heartbeat unless otherwise.
Interesting, I had some trouble on him too, but I found that summoning sif was generally not worth it for me. Sif was damn near useless on the fight, as he isn't very aggressive at all. The best thing sif brought for me was a distraction so I could heal for a bit.

To add to the discussion, I would say 4 Kings. I had little to no trouble on 4 Kings, maybe dying 2-4 times before beating them. After all of the talk of them being hard, it was quite disappointing; I was in a medium armor build too, so it is not like I was tanking blows or anything.
Not so much that they are hard on a normal run, but on NG+ and beyond they gain enough attack power to keep you at bay with their long range attacks, and enough health where the next king would appear before you've beaten the first. Without help or the right build, it quickly turns into a war of attrition.
Yep, I never had too much of a problem with them though even afterward, well not till my level 1 run heh. Because of that, I learned to dodge quite easily. I get ya on the ng+ stuff though, although I have seen someone ng+ 7 them at level 1 so...I guess it just comes down to using the right skills, and playing smart as you suggested.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Broderick said:
Caramel Frappe said:

Let me tell you- he's REALLY hard if you're not prepared. Not only that, you're screwed if you're soloing him on NG+ unprepared. I remember dying to him 34x before beating him by a notch of health left. The only reason I found him to be easy without even losing a quarter of my health next time was because of a few things...

• 1) I was able to summon Sif to help me. When you rescue him, he actually aids you (hard to find his summon sign during the fight though.)

2) Having the silver pendant repels all of his dark magic so he's basically wasting his time.

3) The character I used was a tank / faith build with a strong shield, so I was able to block 100% of physical attacks.

4) Sunlight blade. It wrecks Manus especially if the Sunlight blade is enchanted on a 15+ Murakumo.

With all of these, he was pretty easy. Don't get me wrong though, without Sif, my build or having a good spell- he's really tough. Heaven forbid if you're a guy with less then 800 HP he'll kill you in a heartbeat unless otherwise.
Interesting, I had some trouble on him too, but I found that summoning sif was generally not worth it for me. Sif was damn near useless on the fight, as he isn't very aggressive at all. The best thing sif brought for me was a distraction so I could heal for a bit.

To add to the discussion, I would say 4 Kings. I had little to no trouble on 4 Kings, maybe dying 2-4 times before beating them. After all of the talk of them being hard, it was quite disappointing; I was in a medium armor build too, so it is not like I was tanking blows or anything.
Indeed, Sif isn't that useful in the battle with Manus. However, he can be a very useful ally when he's distracting the boss and you're firing Sunlight Spears at him lol. But also note that Sif, despite not attacking much can attack if you bring the boss to him. See, people usually want Sif to come towards the boss but I found out if you just run to Sif with the boss, Sif attacks out of instinct which triggers the distraction then Sunlight Spear time or just jabbing with a Sunlight bladed weapon. It's relieving that it works otherwise i'd never want to fight Manus after dying 34x lol.
Lol yep, I have actually tried that. It unfortunately only works for me half the time though. I swear there is something wonky with the way Sif was programmed lol. Then again, I suppose you could say that for quite a lot of the NPCs. I unfortunately did not have the luxury of sunlight blade, as I was running a strength build for my first encounter with him. Did end up kindling the crap out of the bonfire, and buying a lot of charcoal pine resin heh. God my heart was pounding so hard when I finally beat him; it reminded me of my old WoW raiding days.

Sir Pootis

Aug 4, 2012
I have two.

1. Air Man (Mega Man 2)

He barely moves so just keep chipping away with your mega buster and dodge his tornadoes.

2. The End (Metal Gear Solid 3)

The boss fight isn't that difficult, I've taken him out several times using my Mk22. Just us the microphone to find out where he is, then line up your sights on him, preferably while well camouflaged. Still a good boss, though.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'll call out Killer Croc from Arkham Asylum and Mr. Freeze from Arkham City.

Seriously, I was VERY late to the show with AA, and everyone had said how scary and tough the Croc fight was........turned out he was perhaps the biggest joke of a boss I've ever fought against.

But at least he's MEANT to be a joke.

As for Mr. Freeze, I don't see what all the hub-bub was about. While certainly more challenging than Croc and very unforgiving if you mess up, it's basically just a "final exam" of all your Batman stealth skills. That is to say, it's testing your mastery of the Predator sections of the game. The hardest part of the battle is that you can't use the gargoyles in the room, but even so it really isn't that hard to work your way around the room and set up all the possible stealth-takedowns that Batman can pull off. Personally I never had a problem with him.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
In the same vein as the OP, I thought Shadow Yukiko from Persona 4 to be easy. It requires a bit of preparation, sure, but she's not as difficult as people make her out to be, especially in Golden, where she's weak to ice attacks.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with Whitney's Miltank, either. I've never had to employ any special strategies to beat her.

Lrbearclaw

May 19, 2009
Round 2 with Saren in Mass Effect. I killed him with 2 shotgun blasts on Normal mode. No cheats were used but I felt cheated.

Phantom Kat

Sep 26, 2012
Smough and Ornstein in Dark Souls, as well as the Capra Demon. I killed capra demon on my first attempt (on a later playthrough it took me nearly 10 attempts because of bad luck) and nearly killed Smough and Ornstein on the first try. Only problem I had with S&O was that I kept getting caught off guard by smough's charge in the last 10-20% of his health.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Broderick said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Broderick said:
Caramel Frappe said:

Indeed, Sif isn't that useful in the battle with Manus. However, he can be a very useful ally when he's distracting the boss and you're firing Sunlight Spears at him lol. But also note that Sif, despite not attacking much can attack if you bring the boss to him. See, people usually want Sif to come towards the boss but I found out if you just run to Sif with the boss, Sif attacks out of instinct which triggers the distraction then Sunlight Spear time or just jabbing with a Sunlight bladed weapon. It's relieving that it works otherwise i'd never want to fight Manus after dying 34x lol.
Lol yep, I have actually tried that. It unfortunately only works for me half the time though. I swear there is something wonky with the way Sif was programmed lol. Then again, I suppose you could say that for quite a lot of the NPCs. I unfortunately did not have the luxury of sunlight blade, as I was running a strength build for my first encounter with him. Did end up kindling the crap out of the bonfire, and buying a lot of charcoal pine resin heh. God my heart was pounding so hard when I finally beat him; it reminded me of my old WoW raiding days.
I understand exactly what you mean. I was so happy when I finally beat Manus, mainly because dying 34x isn't so fun after awhile lol. Usually people like summoning other people (online) to aid them since they're always better and more efficient in fighting with you. However, I find that NPCs can really hold their own if you take turns. What I mean is that once an NPC attacks, the boss usually looks at them. Attack, then let the boss face you and wait for the NPC to attack only for the boss to face them again. Taking turns strategy most of the time is really good unless you're facing bosses like The Bed of Chaos, or Manus. Manus is much smarter and will auto plunge at you so it's best to let the NPC do more of the fighting.
Indeed! I also have this tendency to want to beat bosses myself the first time without any help. I figure if I had help the first time, it doesn't really count as a "win" for me. Nowadays though I just summon left and right, those people need their sunlight medals after all! Well I don't summon on challenge runs either though. Right now I am doing a cleric run, I can only use the cleric starting armor,or the cleric armor that Patches sells. I can only use cleric themed weapons as well, like "natural" divine weapons(like astora's straight sword), the starting mace, or the crescent axe. Divine magic is permited as well. Frankly, it isn't a hard run, but I like the RP aspect of it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The first time I got to the Rebel Flagship in FTL. To be fair, I had a variety of factors working in my favor. I was flying the Engi Cruiser Layout A with an upgraded Cloaking Device, a Burst Laser Mark II, a Heavy Laser, and a Repair Arm augmentation. I was also playing on Easy difficulty, which meant my ship was pretty much pimped out in regards to upgrades.*

It was a relatively simple matter of disabling their shields with my Ion Blast, whittling down the components with my lasers and Anti-Ship drone, cloaking when the flagship launched its heavy attacks, and repairing any hull damage by jumping between phases.

*I would like to point out to those unfamiliar with FTL that, despite its moniker, "Easy" can often be quite difficult. It's essentially a roguelike, meaning the game is highly randomized and the prospect of a horrible death waits around every corner.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
scorptatious said:
Hmm. Only example I can think of would be Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls.

I was able to beat them within two tries on my first playthrough. I think I was using a crystal halberd so Smough went down relatively fast.
As a straight mage build with the Dark Wood Grain Ring, I solo-ed the crap out of them. But then a Boss like the Capra Demon totally destroyed me over and over.

Okamiyasha

Jun 21, 2012
Hm, I'd probably have to say The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3. I didn't realize until after I finished the game that so many people struggle with her.

Gergar12 said:
Every boss in fallout 3, the vats makes it too easy.
There weren't really bosses in Fallout 3. Leaders of things sure, but the realism took away any OP health or damage for the sake of "boss fights".

Oh and the final fight of Bioshock Infinite. Again, it was a case of beat on first go without any difficulties and then find out later it was supposed to be almost broken in it's difficulty spike?

Yeah, no.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
LFC Scouser said:
I don't know how hard Chidori is supposed to be in P3 FES but I one-shoted her using Thantos.
She was pretty easy for me, too. Of course, I was using my Thor - Mjolnir combo during that fight as well, and so I was dealing over 400 damage with each basic attack. Come to think of it, all of the full moon boss fights in P3 FES were pretty easy. The mini-bosses in Tartarus were usually much harder.

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
My friends said Monsoon from Metal Gear Rising was a difficult boss, I found him really easy.
They weren't kidding about Armstrong though. He's fucking indestructible.
And also the last level on Bioshock Infinite. The tower defense bit. I got through that one after failing once.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Yarkaz said:
Voulan said:
Yarkaz said:
Whitney's Miltank in Pokemon Gold and Silver for me. I don't even remember what II did to beat it, I just recall taking it out in a couple hits and not caring.
Damn, I was just about to post about Whitney and her miltank. I never had any problems beating her.

I've also read about people having huge problems with the second boss fight against the female cyborg in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I took her out so easily, although I'm not certain it counts as a boss fight.

Another one is the Sephiroth boss in KH2. If you grind like crazy to the max level 99 and level up all your drive forms, he's actually incredibly easy.
REPLYING TO YOUR REPLY OF ME.

Yeah, as another guy said, you just have to kill it fast. It's pathetic unless you actually let rollout build up.

I had a huge problem with that girl. May have just been the way I built my Jensen though.

As for Sephy in KH2, I had a hard time with him in the beginning, but I spent so much time studying him and learning his moves that eventually I could, after a long and difficult process on dodging every move perfectly (I actually got hit a few times, but I had that ability that keeps you from dying in one hit AND a crapton of elixirs) and taking every opportunity I could to attack, beat him at around level 40 on proud mode. Maybe my best gaming achievement ever.
With the cyborg woman, she's extremely vulnerable to EMP grenades. All you really need is the shield skill to be impervious to them, then chuck one, shoot her like mad, and rinse and repeat.

Beating him level 40 on proud mode? That is SUPER impressive. A gaming achievement indeed! The easiest method is just to learn glide and double jump to stop that move that knocks you to 1 HP with 1 MP. After that he's a cake walk.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
LFC Scouser said:
I don't know how hard Chidori is supposed to be in P3 FES but I one-shoted her using Thantos.
Chidori is by no means hard or even a threat. Its a shame too because I was expecting something challenging, instead this is how my first time went:
My team attacks first, Chidori melee attacks, misses, stumbles, TIME FOR AN ALL OUT ATTACK!!!
I think I laughed for a good 9 minutes
Same for Nyx, not hard but definitely one of the most fun boss fights I've ever had.

OT:
Ornstein and Smough/Drake and Josh/Ren and Stimpy, I'm sorry I'll stop...
I discovered fast roll's OP I frames during my first time trek through Sens, so that became my ace in the hole first time fighting them, but man are they fun to fight.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Jim_Callahan said:
Broderick said:
Dark Souls had very little in the way of artificial difficulty (just plugging more HP or whatever onto the bosses until they overwhelm you with the sheer boring length of the encounter, giving them unavoidable damage, etc) and had a lot of technical difficulty (dodge this, block that, apply counter-technique X with timing Y to nullify situation Z).

This means that whether an encounter is easy or hard depends very much on how you're geared and trained. I did my first run with a pyro-heavy build with no shield and a fast 1-hand/buckler combo, for instance, so I was genuinely mystified that my friend, who built shield/spear and wizard (i.e. low mobility, high sustain) had a hard time with Orn + Smough. I mean, I just kinda strolled through that encounter then went back to the slightly-harder trash after collecting the plot. Then he got to laugh at me in turn when 4 kings came around and jumping was useless because no one can beat the mighty quad-laser and I was vainly kiting like an idiot with no fireballs left and the stagger timers set to infinity so i couldn't afford to be hit once.
Indeed. I myself had a pretty hard time on Biggy smalls. Took me forever to beat them, mostly because I was new, and was trying to block everything instead of just dodging away heh. When I finally caught on, it made the fight much easier, but I still had a bit of trouble. I have learned much since then, and I am now doing successful challenge runs, so do not worry, I understand the mechanics of the game quite well now. Hell, back then I didn't even know what poise or stability was till I nearly completed the game lol. I do agree though, 4 kings is a hell of a fight for people not prepared for it. I guess it just so happened that I was, at least gear wise anyways.