Swatter Arrested, Could Face Five Years in Prison

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if he got banned from X-box live or whatever service he games with primarily over it too.

Good riddance. I thought Swatting was a terrible thing from the moment someone explained what it was to me.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Good. The shit he was pulling could've gotten something KILLED! Five years sounds good to me.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Dango said:
5 Years seems pretty steep for a teenager being a moron, would probably learn his lesson well enough with a hefty fine.
It doesn't matter if he's a teenager, he's over the age of 18 and therefore should be tried as an adult as the law dictates. He's legally an adult and made the conscious decision to do these horrible things.

No he didn't make a mistake, he CHOSE to do these things and should be punished accordingly.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In other news, 2-3 days ago US police went to someone's house because the family were concerned after they'd had surgery. The police shot and killed them.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/family-asks-cops-to-check-on-74-year-old-vet-after-surgery-and-they-break-in-and-kill-him/

So, very limited sympathy for people who send call for SWAT teams.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Frankly, with how damned trigger-happy the regular police force in the 'States tends to be, never mind S.W.A.T. teams that have been known to fuck up and kill completely innocent people after raiding the wrong house, "swatting" should be considered attempted murder, pre-meditated at that. Considering that, 5 years is far too light a sentence, he should be serving at least a single life sentence for this very, very serious, costly (to the State, that is. Organizing a SWAT raid isn't fucking cheap), and dangerous crime.

That's without taking into account his computer crimes involving hacking, mind you.

And no, I don't give a flying shit in space that he's only in his early 20's. He very deliberately put several people's lives on the line for cheap yuks, and coerced several others unlawfully. He, and by extension any that "swat" others should be treated as the dangerous psychopaths that they are for that, regardless of their age.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I don't care so much for the cause or reason of SWATting a person, god knows probably some of them deserve a gun pointed in their face. But this asshole is wasting so much people's time, energy and resources, I hope they raided his house violently as they slapped the cuffs on. He doesn't think of what goes into a SWAT raid, he should be ordered into someone's house after hearing of a brutal shooting to investigate and defuse the situation, see how he handles it.

EDIT: and yes, seeing how violent these raids can get (viewing articles posted above me, and remembering the case of the flashbang in the baby crib), you are seriously needlessly putting lives in danger.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
JarinArenos said:
Eiv said:
I would give him 5 years for that poor attempt at a beard alone.
The "neckbeard" phenomenon is a remarkably easy one to explain. It comes from the position that the owner should not be inconvenienced in any way. See, hair on the cheek itches, especially when it's coming in, and once it's long enough not to itch, it's annoying and hot and gets in the way. Thus: shave it. Hair on the neck does not get in the way nearly as much, however, so it can just be trimmed once it reaches the point that it no longer itches. Add to this the fact that it is FAR more difficult to shave (much like that little bush on his upper lip), and the inconvenience-avoidance response kicks in and says "just trim it".
This guy doesn't shave, he just cant grow a proper beard or mustache.

OT:
This is one of the reasons our prisons are overcrowded and we have far more prisoners than any other country. Cases like these shouldn't be a prison sentence. It should be a hefty fine, many years of community service, and a ban from all electronic devices including a TV and stereo.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Once again, it seems that very few actually read the article. All anyone seems to be mentioning is the swatting incident, neglecting to mention the identity theft and fucking extortion.

This is not "just some kid messing around," especially since he is far to old to pull the youth excuse. These are the premeditated crimes of an adult, just like any other criminal.

So no, I have zero sympathy for an adult who willingly and knowingly put the lives of others in danger just for a laugh, nor do I feel sorry for him being charged with hacking and intimidation. The only sad part about this is that more "swatters" aren't called to answer for their crimes.

Zato-1

Mar 27, 2009
BakaSmurf said:
Frankly, with how damned trigger-happy the regular police force in the 'States tends to be, never mind S.W.A.T. teams that have been known to fuck up and kill completely innocent people after raiding the wrong house, "swatting" should be considered attempted murder, pre-meditated at that. Considering that, 5 years is far too light a sentence, he should be serving at least a single life sentence for this very, very serious, costly (to the State, that is. Organizing a SWAT raid isn't fucking cheap), and dangerous crime.

That's without taking into account his computer crimes involving hacking, mind you.

And no, I don't give a flying shit in space that he's only in his early 20's. He very deliberately put several people's lives on the line for cheap yuks, and coerced several others unlawfully. He, and by extension any that "swat" others should be treated as the dangerous psychopaths that they are for that, regardless of their age.
It's kind of tragic that the incompetence and trigger-happy behavior of a lot of US police officers makes their visits potentially deadly, but you're right- swatting someone can get them killed, and is only a few steps removed from actually showing up at their place and trying to shoot them yourself. If this jackass has played this "prank" on several people, then he deserves a lot more than 5 years of imprisonment- life sentence sounds like too much to me if he didn't actually get anyone killed, but I'd like to see him get a 10-year sentence at the very least.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Carrots_macduff said:
it depresses me when people are happy to see a kid go to jail, no matter what they did.

not saying he doesnt deserve it, but if you must send a 19 year old to prison, it should be done reluctantly, not with a smile on your face. plus, if you think its going to make him a better person, youre probably wrong.
Hopefully it's a minimum security prison, poor kid is probably going to be molested.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
5 years? If it was my decision, he'd never see the light of day again. Considering recent trends in police abuse of force, swatting might as well be attempted murder.

The Choke

Nov 5, 2014
Anybody who uses the anonymous handle "Framed God" just immediately makes me giggle at them. Maliciously.

But seriously, I have enough problems with the police. Anybody who treats a SWAT team like a prank honestly deserves more than five years. Getting wrongfully raided by the police emotionally scars families. I know because my father was wrongfully arrested when I was six years old, and watching police come through the door with their guns out to this day wakes me up screaming. It's not funny. It's not cool. All you are doing when you do this to other people is terrorize someone.

And, honestly, I think that for that a person should have the charge follow them around on their record for the rest of their lives so that all their potential employers can know, "hey, maybe I don't want to let this complete fucking jackass anywhere near my computer."

EDIT: Getting RIGHTFULLY raided by the police scars families as well, obviously. Getting raided period is a horrifying, dehumanizing, terrifying, traumatizing experience.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
soren7550 said:
FalloutJack said:

OT: Yeah, wasting the time of the SWAT Team and scaring the shit out of other gamers in the process should be a felony. You're basically sending your law enforcement off on a false alarm on purpose, diverting them from any time where they could actually be NEEDED. Put the son of a ***** away. If I ever have an emergency, I don't want the guys to be unavailable.
I could have sworn that falsifying a report to the police already was a felony.
Ah, so...good, then? What's the usual penalty? Better or worse than what he's getting?

Silenttalker22

Dec 21, 2010
Valkrex said:
Dango said:
5 Years seems pretty steep for a teenager being a moron, would probably learn his lesson well enough with a hefty fine.
It doesn't matter if he's a teenager, he's over the age of 18 and therefore should be tried as an adult as the law dictates. He's legally an adult and made the conscious decision to do these horrible things.

No he didn't make a mistake, he CHOSE to do these things and should be punished accordingly.
That was my favorite part of this article. "Take the case of Brandon 'Framed God' Wilson, a 19-year old man". I genuinely admired that the author avoided the media nonsense of saying "boy", merely because they aren't 20 yet; as has been the case in many high-profile news stories of late. 18 is old enough to fight and die on foreign soil. 19 is not an unwitting youth that should be shown what they did was naughty.
This wasn't an accident of youthful hooliganism. This was an intentional crime, committed by completely aware adult, wherein lives were put in immediate mortal danger.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Good.
I hope he gets tried and sentenced for each instance individually, that'll maximize his time behind bars.
SWATing is fucking despicable on pretty much every level and so is this asshole, glad they caught him and I hope this serves as an example to deter other potential SWATers.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It sounds like they may be able to get him for other occurrences of it, which means he could go to jail fro 5 years, be transported to another state, go to jail there, and so on. I have no sympathy for this guy. You can't play with other peoples lives. I know police ruin people's lives for a lot less than he did, he deserves the felonies he will probably get.

Part of me is always a bit sad to end up feeling this way. In a lot of ways the US justice system is broken. I would like to say he will got to jail, get rehabilitated and come out on the other end OK. But even if he ends up experiencing remorse for this, it will follow him forever. It will prevent him from getting a decent job or even having a decent life in a lot of ways. Might as well not let him out at all since he will never be allowed to move beyond any mistakes he made when was 19.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
FalloutJack said:
soren7550 said:
FalloutJack said:

OT: Yeah, wasting the time of the SWAT Team and scaring the shit out of other gamers in the process should be a felony. You're basically sending your law enforcement off on a false alarm on purpose, diverting them from any time where they could actually be NEEDED. Put the son of a ***** away. If I ever have an emergency, I don't want the guys to be unavailable.
I could have sworn that falsifying a report to the police already was a felony.
Ah, so...good, then? What's the usual penalty? Better or worse than what he's getting?
*shrugs* I dunno, it just seems like one of those things that'd count as a felony.

*googles*

"Depending on where you live and the extent of the deception, the criminal charge of filing a false police report can either be a misdemeanor or a felony. Cases that cause less inconvenience to police and other authorities tend to be classified as misdemeanors, while people who create greater confusion or harm by filing a false police report may face felony charges.

... Minor infractions, like lying about a misdemeanor offense, usually results in a similar misdemeanor charge. Lying about felony offenses can result in felony level charges. Misdemeanor punishment can result in a sentence ranging from probation to a year or two in county jail. Felony punishment can also result in probation, but a much higher prison sentence, from two to ten years."

So yeah, going off that, swatting is a felony, and his possible five years in jail sounds about right.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Risingblade said:
Carrots_macduff said:
it depresses me when people are happy to see a kid go to jail, no matter what they did.

not saying he doesnt deserve it, but if you must send a 19 year old to prison, it should be done reluctantly, not with a smile on your face. plus, if you think its going to make him a better person, youre probably wrong.
Hopefully it's a minimum security prison, poor kid is probably going to be molested.
Poor kid? Poor KID?

You jest, surely you jest! This sociopath not only attempted pre-meditated murder via police of several individuals for his own personal enjoyment, he has also committed identity theft of at least two persons, and in at least one case contacted them afterwords, and threatened to use this information he had acquired to bankrupt his victim's father as well as the victim themselves just because. These are not the actions of a 14 year old making empty threats over Xbox LIVE to another 14 year old and being punished severely and unnecessarily for it, these are the actions of a man with so few personal morals that he's all too willing to destroy the lives of people he has in all likelihood never met simply because he can.

I pray that you both simply didn't read through the entire article as opposed to actually believing that this grown-ass adult man that has flat-out terrorized several people in the past for his own personal enjoyment is a "kid," and by definition should receive a lax sentence for his multiple, sociopathic crimes that frankly he should be serving at the very least a life sentence for.