Sweden: Piracy Is Not A Religion

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sweden: Piracy Is Not A Religion

Swedish officials have yet again refused requests by The Missionary Church of Kopimism to recognize file-sharing as an official religion.

Founded by Philosophy student Isak Gerson, the Church describes itself thusly [http://kopimistsamfundet.se/english/]:

In our belief, communication is sacred. Communication needs to be respected. It is a direct sin to monitor and eavesdrop on people.

The absolute secrecy is holy in the church of kopimism.

In the individual pastoral care and confession with the kopimist priests (the Ops), priests are protected under Swedish law by an absolute professional secrecy.

Copyright Religion is our absolute opposite - Ongoing obstruction of copying.

We challenge all copyright believers - most of which have a great deal of influence in politics, and who derive their power by limiting people's lives and freedom. What they most of all want to limit the knowledge. We need to steel ourselves for their hatred and aggression.

- Copy. download, uplooad!
- All knowlegde to all!
- Information technology is not to be feathered by laws.

The Church's first attempt to attain state sanction was rejected in April of 2011, with Swedish authorities citing a lack of formalized tradition within the organization. Since that time Gerson and his 1,000 acolytes have created an official system of rituals which includes prayer and "meditation over shared information and the act of copying."

Despite these efforts at legitimacy, Swedish officials refuse to budge, though according to Gerson, the reasons behind the latest denial are murky at best.

"This time, we can't really see any real reason for our denial. We adjusted our application just the way the Swedish authorities needed, and they still denied us the right to form a church," he claims.

Still, Gerson's flock remains undaunted and will continue its crusade to spread the illicit teachings of their belief system.

"One thing is certain though. We will continue meeting, believing in copying, deepen our faith and church, and fight politically for a world where copying is not only accepted by encouraged. We know that this is not only our dream and cause, but our calling," Gerson adds.

Whether the Missionary Church of Kopimism stands as a satire of religious intolerance, a jab at governmental hypocrisy or an actual religious entity, is beyond the scope of this article. That said, let it be known that on this day, July 12, 2011, I love the Internet very, very much.

You guys are the best.

Source: Torrent Freak [http://torrentfreak.com/file-sharers-denied-official-religion-status-in-sweden-110710/]

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I lol'd

I guess they be trolling.
Well I bloody hope thats what they are doing.

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
Well.... Piracy is Illegal and I assume the files they where copying were copyright protected. and a religion that is about something illegal should not be allowed. The same reason why practicing old norse rituals are illegal (atleast the ones with human sacrifice)

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
That's quite ... something, indeed. I wonder if they would have been successful in any country.
But yeah, i doubt this is a serious religion. If it was, then... that really would be weird.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
That's kinda bullshit they should be able to found a religion under any traditions they want. They most certainly shouldn't be able to break the law because of their religion but they most certainly hold the right to have traditions that may have done so, as long as no actual law is being broken under it's name.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Danik93 said:
Well.... Piracy is Illegal and I assume the files they where copying were copyright protected. and a religion that is about something illegal should not be allowed. The same reason why practicing old norse rituals are illegal (atleast the ones with human sacrifice)
But should it be illegal?

See, theres the issue.

What we have is essientaly the power to make somthing out of nothing. It takes 0 raw materials to make a digital book, movie, game, etc.

You have a limitless supply of these products. Why not share them? What if we could do this with food or water? would you still call it theft then?

At the same time, I undertsand that people put their time and money into these things, and they lose their sales like this.

This is one of the few issues where I am truly divided in my opinion.

Kyouki1980

May 26, 2008
HontooNoNeko said:
That's kinda bullshit they should be able to found a religion under any traditions they want. They most certainly shouldn't be able to break the law because of their religion but they most certainly hold the right to have traditions that may have done so, as long as no actual law is being broken.
If the so called "Church" of Scientology can do it so can they. And Scientology has a very shady past indeed. Kidnapping and murder being two of the worst accusations.
And yet they still operate without sanction. But then this is the US where money talks. So what do you expect really.

This file sharing religion seems far FAR less dangerous than the brain washing psychopaths of scientology. Let them have their religion and filesharing I say. Assuming it isn't a troll ofcourse ^_^ heh.

prolefeedprocessor

Jun 5, 2010
Danik93 said:
The intent of making it a legally-recognized religion isn't to be able to share files legally. It's to protect the file-sharing facilitators ("priests") from having to turn over records, thus making file-sharing far more difficult to prosecute. It's like how Catholic priests are shielded from having to report crimes told to them in confessional.

the spud

May 2, 2011
This thread got me thinking...maybe we could replace this tired out bronie meme with pastafarianism! The great noodle in the sky would be very pleased.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I have nothing to say about the article that wouldn't risk me a ban, but I just had to compliment you on your choice of picture. Love it.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Jabberwock xeno said:
What we have is essientaly the power to make somthing out of nothing. It takes 0 raw materials to make a digital book, movie, game, etc.
I'm afraid quite a bit of time and money goes into creating these things. A development team for a game or an author for a book have their own bills to pay. You yourself know this:

At the same time, I undertsand that people put their time and money into these things, and they lose their sales like this.
Stealing, is stealing amigo. If you make a digital copy of something that's one less copy sold. I can understand stealing food, or clothes, but entertainment?

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Unless this is meant to be a way of trolling, this is incredibly stupid. It seems like a really silly attempt to get past the law. I don't know about there, but I know in the US that the government isn't allowed to make it illegal for people to practice their religion or something like, which means they couldn't bust these people for 'practicing their religion.' It all seems really stupid to be honest.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Could you imagine a religion getting tax exempt status based on stealing?

unrelated note: Is Sweden the country with the Jedi religion?

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Akalabeth said:
This retards are probably trying to:
A - make pirating a religion
B - make prosecution of their pirating an attack against their religion

Not knowing the swedish system, that's what I would assume they are doing assuming sweden has a freedom of religion cause.

Either way, I hope they fail. Circumventing the law with hollow loop holes is not acceptable.
I'm sorry, but that seemed slightly ironic to me.

Anyhow, am I the only one thinking this is an actually awesome religion? It's obviously serious, I mean, come on.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
this just in boats go in the water

OT: this is just stupid... its a joke that seems to have gone to the edge of stupidville and never stopped
want to share files fine but there are consequences and trying to get around them by making a religion is just idiotic and ridiculous