Switzerland might make incest legal.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
I want everyone to be free and don't care what two consenting adults do in bed but this is a law that you could really used by sick people. I just know some sicko is going to marry their home schooled child with no friends the second they legally can. We all know there are pedophiles who have sex with their own children and I worry about how they could use this.

Just like how teachers can't sleep with student who are even of legal age, there is a power imbalance that can be use to hurt youths.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
asinann said:
There is NO form of birth control that is 100% effective. The odds of some kind of genetic disorder is far too high in cases of incest for a nation to allow even a chance of it happening.
Then outlaw vaginal intercourse between related heterosexual couples. That's the only sex act that can lead to pregnancy. No reason to legislate about the rest.

And how is sterilization of both partners not a safe method?

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
Steampunkelephant said:
If your religious incest is a sin against god.
If your a Darwinian incest is a sin against evolution.

But the law has no business in your pants, the world should be able to realize incest isn't right and therefor not do it.
Since when was it a sin in the bible? lol Didn't know science believed in sin either.
I like your last comment though :)

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I don't see any good reason why it should be illegal as long as it is consential and with protection, but...

I don't know, it still seems wrong to me.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Who the hell said "you know what? To hell with all the religious intolerance there is in our country, the major problem in our country is incest laws!"

Europians can be mental sometimes (and this is coming from one)

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
Oh ho ho ho....no. No this is a bad idea. Look, I know we like to be all permissive on this website but the damage to children from even one incident of inbreeding is massive.
Exactly, you can't just go and its their choice all of the time. Even if you don't take a moral point of view the damage to children born from that relationship is enough to make it illegal and you can't just rely on them to use birth control as no contraceptive is 100% effective.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
jamiedf said:
and i think you will find that the government cab say what goes on behind closed door, has been for a very long time, and yeah it is debatable,(bestiality, paedophilia, s&m etc. the re are laws concerning them all)
Bestiality concerns human relations with animals that cannot consent either way. Pedophilia concerns adult relations with minors that cannot legally or psychologically legitimately consent either way. They are not related to incest, and that is once again a slippery slope (If we allow incest, what other things will we allow?! ANIMALS?! CHILDREN!? PLANTS!? OMGZSOCIETALCOLLAPSE!!).

Just because the government has had a hand in it throughout history, does not mean it was right. Or necessary. And not impeding upon the rights to privacy of individual citizens.

jamiedf said:
and if you do no wish to continue this discussion you shouldn't have replied back this time,if all you do is make an argument then stop what was the point of starting to begin with?
I try not to. It's a pet peeve of mine to feel compelled to post upon everything I see in terms of misguided opinions or fallacies that present themselves. Respond if you want to this post, but I can't guarantee I'll respond, myself.

smurf_you

Jun 1, 2010
I'm on the side of, "are you over 18? yes? then do what ever you want in your own house, doesn't affect me" quite honestly, I've heard of siblings experimenting with sexuality (there was article in the New York Post or something about it one time) with each other, that are close in age and what not..... but I mean if they had decided to continue that (which in the article apparently they almost did) then that is their business.... now where did I leave that article....

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
fullbleed said:
Exactly, you can't just go and its their choice all of the time. Even if you don't take a moral point of view the damage to children born from that relationship is enough to make it illegal and you can't just rely on them to use birth control as no contraceptive is 100% effective.
I'm pretty sure abortions are legal in Sweden. So even if a couple does become pregnant, it's not like they can't terminate if they find out about genetic diseases in the fetus.

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
Incest, between two consenting adults of legal age, should obviously be legal. However, reasonable restrictions should be placed on reproduction coming out of incestuous relationships.

The potential damage to any children produced is simply far too high--I would say that the reproductive rights of any person with a high likelihood of passing on a dangerous heritable disease should similarly be restricted. Not to say their ability to reproduce should be removed entirely--in vitro fertilization and adoption ought to be available to them.

The main problem with legalizing incest is that incest, depending on how closely related the two people are, is rarely a product of 'normal' romance. Brother and sister, for example, are nearly always desensitized to each other sexually thanks to close contact. Incestuous relationships are often evidence of serious individual problems stemming from abuse. More than that, incestuous relationships might start out of abusive sexual relationships. It's extremely difficult to separate "normal" incestuous relationships from those that are, in many ways but sometimes directly, the products of abuse. Certainly society does not want to condone abuse?

However, the above is merely a complication. Even "normal" relationships very often deal with abuse, yet there's no really persuasive argument to outlaw all normal relationships. Overall I would support legalizing consensual, adult incest, but with many reservations.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Yup, I've always thought that jailing 2 consenting adults based on ick factor and the small increase inprobability of birth defects was a bad thing. Just have to watch out for potential child abuse and continued inbreeding.

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
YukoValis said:
chickencow said:
Wow, this thread just made The Escapist feel a lot dirtier. Incest just feels... gross.
But why? could it be backwords thinking? I mean it's just love that happens between family members. Is that so wrong I wonder? Hmm
Just love between family members? So the love between family members is the same as me wanting to stick my penis in my mother's or grandmother's vagina? Sorry to be blunt but my opinion on the matter is that wanting to sex up your family warrants some concern.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
jamiedf said:
and i think you will find that the government cab say what goes on behind closed door, has been for a very long time, and yeah it is debatable,(bestiality, paedophilia, s&m etc. the re are laws concerning them all)
Bestiality concerns human relations with animals that cannot consent either way. Pedophilia concerns adult relations with minors that cannot legally or psychologically legitimately consent either way. They are not related to incest, and that is once again a slippery slope (If we allow incest, what other things will we allow?! ANIMALS?! CHILDREN!? PLANTS!? OMGZSOCIETALCOLLAPSE!!).

Just because the government has had a hand in it throughout history, does not mean it was right. Or necessary. And not impeding upon the rights to privacy of individual citizens.

jamiedf said:
and if you do no wish to continue this discussion you shouldn't have replied back this time,if all you do is make an argument then stop what was the point of starting to begin with?
I try not to. It's a pet peeve of mine to feel compelled to post upon everything I see in terms of misguided opinions or fallacies that present themselves. Respond if you want to this post, but I can't guarantee I'll respond, myself.
i was only using the others as an example, not in relation to incest, your just taking my argument out of context. and you brought no argument against S&m? the law governs that even were it involves concerning adults.
and nothing iv posted is misguided opinions, they are my opinions but everyone of them is based on information i have, and you have no right to say they are misguided. and nothing iv said falls under you fallacies argument, your just trying to cram my argument to fit it so you can just dismiss it

Apr 29, 2010
Well, if two consenting adults want to partake in such an act, I say we should let them. But, I know not everyone sees it the same way.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
If you make it legal but outlaw procreation then how exactly are you going to enforce that? It's just not pratical and you can't rely on the people to take responsibilites themselves. You can't punish it pretty much until its already happened and then its too late and the damage is done.