Switzerland might make incest legal.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Just keep kids away and it's all good Switzerland. Don't try and control the people unless it is 'morally' wrong.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Zeithri said:
If two people wants to have sex and both are in on it;
There's no law in history that is gonna stop them.

Just don't have kids.

Personal Standpoint: It's their choice. I have no moral quarrels with this.
This.

Some may view it as sick and immoral, but if two people love each other, there's nothing that should stand in their way of doing it and nothing ever will no matter what the law says.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Imperator_DK said:
Woodsey said:
I believe that the relationship between deformities and sister-brother relationships is fairly high.

Maybe if they were only fucking their lives up I would be less inclined to agree that it probably should remain illegal, but they're not, they're going to be fucking up their child's life, and there's a good chance of that happening.
Then outlaw vaginal intercourse between same-sex couples. That'll legally cover any biological risk just as well as a blanket ban including all sex acts between straight and gay related couples does.

No reason to go any further in limiting individual freedom than the specific goal you're aiming for requires you to.
You might want to check that over, doesn't make sense.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
Zechnophobe said:
jamiedf said:
this is so wrong, the chances of any child being born with no problems is minute. and legalising it is paramount to encouraging it.
come on Switzerland, get your crap together
This is such a fallacy. This is akin to saying that endorsing contraception encourages promiscuity. Anal Sex is legal, does that mean the state is encouraging it? Farting, I'm pretty sure, is also not a crime. Why would the government want us to do that?

Making something legal does NOTHING MORE than say there is nothing directly harmful or unfair about it. Which is true.
no this is not a fallacy, its roughly 3 time more dangerous when same family parents conceive. also its harmful to the child psychologically, can you imagine what what happen if children at there schools ound out?
and your right, encourage was a strong word, iv already had to address it by about 5 others who have quoted it, but removing the deterrent of punishment is dangerous, alot of peoples only reason for commiting certain crimes is the chance of punishment

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Because if the law says they can have sex they can claim it was an accident. If the law says they can have sex it can BE an accident.
Again, outlaw vaginal intercourse between same-sex couples, and I'd very much like to see the judge who'd believe that came about by accident. You could even make the subjective requirement "Gross negligence".

The reason they wouldn't want a surrogate is the same reason that infertile women don't just shrug their shoulders and say 'oh well, I'll adopt'. They don't want a child, they want THEIR child.
Well, not all infertile women would dismiss abortion, and if a related straight couple want a child that bad, then I still don't see how it would make any difference whether the law forbade them sex or (the type of sex that can lead to) procreation. Only the latter is problematic.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Woodsey said:

Outlawing only the specific kind of sex act which can lead to procreation for the purpose of specifically curtailing procreation doesn't make sense?

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
YukoValis said:
chickencow said:
YukoValis said:
chickencow said:
Wow, this thread just made The Escapist feel a lot dirtier. Incest just feels... gross.
But why? could it be backwords thinking? I mean it's just love that happens between family members. Is that so wrong I wonder? Hmm
Just love between family members? So the love between family members is the same as me wanting to stick my penis in my mother's or grandmother's vagina? Sorry to be blunt but my opinion on the matter is that wanting to sex up your family warrants some concern.
Not really. It's love. I didn't say anything of mother/son, father/daughter. I am talking brother and sister mainly. If you generally fall in love with a person it doesn't matter their relation. There are stories of old where two people fall in love and get married without even knowing they were related. Why must it make such a difference in knowing? As I said before, getting kids with disorders is rare unless it's been done in the same family over and over again.
What if someone falls madly in love with someone else, but that someone else is a corpse. Is right that the person in question wants to have sex with that corpse? It's a consenting adult and someone who doesn't say no.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
jamiedf said:
no this is not a fallacy, its roughly 3 time more dangerous when same family parents conceive. also its harmful to the child psychologically, can you imagine what what happen if children at there schools ound out?
and your right, encourage was a strong word, iv already had to address it by about 5 others who have quoted it, but removing the deterrent of punishment is dangerous, alot of peoples only reason for commiting certain crimes is the chance of punishment
The whole "OMG THINK OF HOW PEOPLE WILL VIEW THEM" is such a weak argument. We let celebrities, convicted felons, and all sorts of social targets have kids all the time knowing it will probably affect their children. It's just as bad here as it is against gay adoption.

We even let alcoholics have children even though we know having alcohol during pregnancy can cause severe disability.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Laws like this should never be outright repealed, just stop prosecuting it, allow the law to become redundant.

There are tonnes of incidental laws that you would have to have the greatest Lawyer ever to make stick. I know this is a much bigger one but actually bringing it into the open is just asking for trouble

Jun 3, 2009
I suspect all the people who are saying we should just let people love each other regardless of their relation are the type of people who think Romeo and Juliet is the ultimate love story and not a cautionary tale about dumb ass kids.

There are such things as inappropriate relationships. This is why even in countries with lower ages of consent there is often a clause which states that the age of consent is much higher if there is some sort of power relationship between the two. That is why it is illegal to have sex with someone who cannot give informed consent.

Incest is taboo for many reasons which have been outlined in this thread. This is why it is outlawed, to show that society does not accept it as a valid lifestyle choice. If Switzerland as a society has come to accept this and is willing to deal with the implications, then it is their choice to remove the relevant laws. They shouldn't, however, expect the world to follow suit. I see it as the same way as a same sex couple in Canada knows they cannot travel as a couple in many middle eastern countries; and incestuous couple would face scorn if they let their relationship be known here.

However, you can't honestly believe that someone who is so in ~love~ with a relative will actually let the law stop them. I know people who have been in love with their first cousins and even had plans to marry them.* She simply did not mention it was her cousin when she spoke about her 'boy friend'. Repealing the laws isn't going to cause some sort of tidal wave of incest. It's just going to let people be open about it.

I think it's hella gross, FWIW.

*For the record, they did not have sex and were planning to marry 'back home' where this was legal. The relationship did not last for various unrelated reasons.

Lavi

Sep 20, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
Oh ho ho ho....no. No this is a bad idea. Look, I know we like to be all permissive on this website but the damage to children from even one incident of inbreeding is massive.
Who said they'd be allowed to have kids?

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
Dags90 said:
jamiedf said:
The whole "OMG THINK OF HOW PEOPLE WILL VIEW THEM" is such a weak argument. We let celebrities, convicted felons, and all sorts of social targets have kids all the time knowing it will probably affect their children. It's just as bad here as it is against gay adoption.

We even let alcoholics have children even though we know having alcohol during pregnancy can cause severe disability.
the stigma a child will face from an incestuousness family will likely be higher then those of a celebrity dont you think? and even if you think so, the stigma argument is a secondary argument, the original is the danger it can pose to a child, its a preventive measure by the courts to try and minimise the possible risks, same reason that social services exists, but thats a post-emptive solution

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
The reason they wouldn't want a surrogate is the same reason that infertile women don't just shrug their shoulders and say 'oh well, I'll adopt'. They don't want a child, they want THEIR child.
Well that's just a misconception that can be resolved. People just need to be educated in the fact that it's not genetic code, or childbirth (which would still be available to reproductively-limited couples due to in-vitro fertilization using sperm donors) that makes a child "theirs" or not. That idea is, frankly, undesirable, because it decreases rates of adoption. But of course, it's not an issue limited to this topic.

In any event, incestuous couples probably should not have their ability to reproduce "naturally" eliminated. Perhaps their pregnancies would require closer monitoring, but not being a reproductive expert I couldn't say. The more pressing issue would be whether or not the incestuous relationship is a good environment for a child to be growing up in--far more relevant, because that has more to do with how the child grows and turns out if the fetus develops without undue complication. Certainly incestuous relationships (unless they occur between close relatives that had rarely been in contact with each other, or possibly didn't even know each other) are more likely to be defective, or maladaptive, than normal relationships. However, this leads to the unfortunate consequence that we are punishing people for a problem that, although it is more prevalent in their particular subset, is miles away from being nonexistent in the wider category.

Overall, a much neater solution would be to impose a process on natural conception that would be very similar to the one for adoption. But then, the issue goes beyond mere incest, onto wider society as a whole, leaving me again with the conclusion that consensual incest between legal adults should be no less acceptable, legally, than a normal relationship.

Of course many people will argue that incest, even if it is incest between family members that are not genetically-related, is still morally wrong, and they could be right. But there is little evidence that indicates it is morally wrong in the legally enforceable sense--murder is morally wrong, and we may outlaw it, but while being mean to people is probably morally wrong there really should be no law outlawing unpleasantness.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
jamiedf said:
Zechnophobe said:
jamiedf said:
this is so wrong, the chances of any child being born with no problems is minute. and legalising it is paramount to encouraging it.
come on Switzerland, get your crap together
This is such a fallacy. This is akin to saying that endorsing contraception encourages promiscuity. Anal Sex is legal, does that mean the state is encouraging it? Farting, I'm pretty sure, is also not a crime. Why would the government want us to do that?

Making something legal does NOTHING MORE than say there is nothing directly harmful or unfair about it. Which is true.
Of course, it isn't a crime right? And I think you put a little too much stock into 'children at school finding out'. That is like saying adoption should be illegal. Or just heaving a dead beat dad/mom. Inbreeding can become a problem, but is not inherently one. Also, who says they will get pregnant? What if she's on the pill? What if they correctly use a condom? Your arguments against this require a whole lot of assumptions that aren't realistic.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Imperator_DK said:
Woodsey said:

Outlawing only the specific kind of sex act which can lead to procreation for the purpose of specifically curtailing procreation doesn't make sense?
You had something about vaginal intercourse between same-sex couples, and then a sentence seemed to have some words missing.