Take Your First Look at Soul Calibur V

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
We got a new character, and he's the son of...Sophitia? Oh snap.
If they bring back the customization from the previous games, please make it the same as SC III. The fourth one lacks the amount of clothes and weapons and I barely had any fun changing the main character's clothes.

SteveZim1017

Jan 14, 2009
I remember playing the Original one (Souls Edge) in the arcade YEARS ago. I always played the bladed Nunchuk guy and got really good with him.

Then the second one came out and he wasnt in it. There was another nunchuk guy, but he sucked. I Havent played it since.

if the original dude is back in it, then maybe I'll give it a shot.

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
Grahav said:
Hawkeye16 said:
None of the characters I actually like made it into the trailer. Still excited though.

Edit: A 17 year timeskip? Wont most of the cast have died of old age by then?
Well, they didn't die by continous stabbing so, who knows?

I hope the new cast is good. The veterans were great but five consecutive games with the same faces have tired the franchise to me.
I'm willing to bet the timeskip will be just a lame excuse to give adult!Amy and adult!Talim D-cups.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Hawkeye16 said:
Grahav said:
Hawkeye16 said:
None of the characters I actually like made it into the trailer. Still excited though.

Edit: A 17 year timeskip? Wont most of the cast have died of old age by then?
Well, they didn't die by continous stabbing so, who knows?

I hope the new cast is good. The veterans were great but five consecutive games with the same faces have tired the franchise to me.
I'm willing to bet the timeskip will be just a lame excuse to give adult!Amy and adult!Talim D-cups.
Its too much of a time skip just to make there lolitias big girls, considering they'd be *gasp* OVER 30! Yeah Soul Caliber doesn't like girls in their 30's, if there still in it, (which would be nice because I like using Talim) its not for sex appeal.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
At the very least Sieg is confirmed to return in all his glory (and Odashima has mentioned Nightmare). My guess is that this is going to be the SC equivalent of SF3 or Garou: Mark of the Wolves, a BIG roster overhaul in order to do new things with the series. I'm willing to give this a chance and I can expect we'll see a handful of veterans (I can see Amy, Talim, and Yoshi coming back) and probably some successors of their fighting styles (like maybe have Rock's son Bangoo or some children of the series mainstays). I like Pat's design as you can see some influence from his mom and yet he has some of his own flair. I'm eager to see what the team could do with a blank slate starting over from scratch

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
What I want to know is will it be more like Soul Calibur II? 'Cause Soul Calibur IV got really boring really fast.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
What I want to know is will it be more like Soul Calibur II? 'Cause Soul Calibur IV got really boring really fast.
I hope so too. This has been my favourite fighting series since Soul Edge in the arcades. Although I've been more and more disturbed since they decided introducing teenage girls in skimpy outfits was the way to compete with the DOA games. (Which is a shame, because I actually find Talim and Tira pretty cool characters otherwise.)

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Wonderful.

I just got Mortal Kombat.

Oh well, hopefully there won't be many other fighting games coming out, there really no reason to have more than one.

Soul edge and Calibur look a LOT better this time though.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Well, I don't really know that much about it, so I'm going my default route of cautiously optimistic.

I like the new design of the titular sword though.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
YYYYYYEEEESS!!

Every game in this series has improved on the last. I can't wait for this!
Patroklos looks like a gayer version of Raphael though.
And Raphael was already pretty gay.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
allistairp said:
At Namco Bandai's "Step up Dubai 2011" event,
Wait, what! when did this happen? When was this announced! WAD DA FUUUUU?!? Seriously when did this happen I live in the blinking country and I never heard of such an event taking place. Hmph. Just goes to show there isn't enough communication about games here.

My thoughts on the trailer? It looks shoddy. I can't tell whether it was the dubbing or the graphics which seem worse than the last game that I found worse. I hope the actually game is better than this.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I'm not a big fan of fighting games, though SC is my favorite franchise (only counting generic ones, not super smash). However, even with SC I might stumble upon the opening scene and think "man, I want to play that again now," but once I actually do, I get quickly bored of it. I mean, the opening scenes and trailers are just so awesome, and set me up for an epic storyline, which the games simply don't deliver.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Sweet! I was convinced that Namco had said they're leaving the Soul Calibur series sheathed from IV onwards, and this is a great surprise.

Don't know what they're going to do with all the females in the series since they've jumped the timeline forward. The idea of 50 year old women in carrier bags and cats whiskers probably won't sell as many units as they intend.

Although good news, Talim's finally legal so you don't have to feel guilty anymore in Create-A-Soul. (You know who you are).

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
If they turn Mitsurugi into Pat's Obi-Wan I'll be ticked off, and I'm curious to see who the crossover characters will be this time (I really hope they don't drop that).

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
"Eternally retold." Over, and over, and over, and over...

I sued to be a big Soul Blade / Soul Caliber fan. But when the characters started getting more ridiculous, the boobs started getting more ridiculous, and the storyline started getting... well, that's when I decided to give up on the franchise.

Still trying to figure out what Starkiller, Darth Vader, and Yoda have to do with the franchise and setting. Oh right, selling out to promote one of the crappiest sequels in game history.

Thanks Team Soul, glad to see you still don't have any :/

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Supposedly the new character is Patroklos (Sophitia's son) which is sorta cool, and means you may see Rothio back as a playable character.

But I'm not excited. I'll buy it, make my own characters and go to online play or playing through with their story. I just dont see why there was a need to make this (other then money) since it was a fan petitioned game, and the fans dont know what they're talking about. There's not going to be a story (and yeah, its an SC game, how much story can there be) because Seigfried's hero arc story is over.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Falseprophet said:
canadamus_prime said:
I hope so too. This has been my favourite fighting series since Soul Edge in the arcades. Although I've been more and more disturbed since they decided introducing teenage girls in skimpy outfits was the way to compete with the DOA games. (Which is a shame, because I actually find Talim and Tira pretty cool characters otherwise.)
Well II & IV are the only entries in the series I've actually played, and IV makes me want to go back and play II again because there was so much more to do in it.

Dragonblade146

Dec 6, 2008
You give me Maxi, I will buy this. But if you change him at all from SoulCalibur 4, may have been low teir, but in the right hands he was easily top.
But, knowing them he is gonna be gone. Which means, nope, no money from me.