Take Your First Look at Soul Calibur V

MirrorForTheSun

Feb 21, 2011
How to make V better than IV:

Give us more choices in character creation - I loved the different voices, and the ability to change their pitch. That was genius. However, it was slightly worsened by the fact that there were perhaps two good faces in the game. Give us more control over what our character's face (their most important part) looks like - individual noses, eyes, etcetera. You only have to display two characters onscreen, it can't be that difficult. Also, make sure their proportions fit those of the actual characters. All the created characters' hands were HUGE. I agree with the others saying to get rid of abilities on clothing. Instead, give me different abilities for weapons/armor as they level up, like Dynasty Warriors 7's seal system (perhaps with minimum levels for each ability to keep it from getting too easy when you get the nice ones). Hell, I would be even happier if I got to edit my character's moveset in a more significant way than "choose which character you want to reskin." If I could choose a variety of moves for different inputs, it would be a day one purchase for me.

Also, bring back Tales of Souls or some similar mode. I loved making choices throughout my character's narrative and that's really what separated Soul Calibur from other fighting games for me (other than omg swordz).

I completely support the timeskip. The old characters' narratives were basically finished - this gives us a chance to experience totally new characters, which could really invigorate the franchise.

The ball's in Namco's court - this could very well be the best Soul Calibur yet, if they make the right choices.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Wait... so Siegfried and Nightmare really are dead?

I love the SC series even though the games have slowly declined after the first game for the Dreamcast. I must say I'm intrigued.

Though I do hope some old characters (namely Siegfried) do return.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Soul Calibur 2 was the pinnacle of the series, even if I still think the weapon breaking and having to fight hand to hand in Soul Edge was an excellent feature. The series has remained fun on a base level but it hasn't been the same since they gutted everyone's move list after SC2.. and this extra info about SC5 certainly doesn't sound like they're reversing that trend.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Sucal said:
Lets see. Chronicles of the Sword and Tira.

Bring back both of those, and I'll be happy.
Tira was in SSCIV and I personally would prefer something akin to the "Sword Master" mode from SCII. A lot of people really disliked Chronicals of the Sword. Maybe if there wasn't so much waiting...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
SageRuffin said:

I love the SC series even though the games have slowly declined after the first game for the Dreamcast. I must say I'm intrigued.

Siegfried and Nightmare are confirmed to return. Siegfried in particular is now sporting a stubble.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Teeheehee. I love how the trailer openly admits: "Yes, we're releasing the same game every few years."

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Aiddon said:
SageRuffin said:

Siegfried and Nightmare are confirmed to return. Siegfried in particular is now sporting a stubble.
Oh. Sweet. :D

I recall someone saying that Namco may be trying the SF3 route in terms of characters. If so, I'm interested in what some of these new characters may be.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
No more crossover characters please. They just don't fit in the cluster fuck they call the Soulcalibur universe.

Bit nervous about the 17 year time skip, also that new guy looks like a total douche with bad hair. I'm already compelled to hate him.

Hopefully Hilde and Sophitia are back, although the 17 year jump makes Sophitia seem unlikely. I'd also really like to see Kamikirimusi from SC4 get her own move set.

I'd like to see the story mode thing from SC2 back, and the create a character function without the stupid stat bonuses on gear. Also the clothing destroying deal was fucking stupid.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Tetranitrophenol said:
meh, they need to bring back SC2's Nightmare for me to be interested.
I dunno. I kinda like how he gets more and more corrupted and monstrous as the series goes on.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
Having just gotten into fighting games and playing them as would a person who competes with them, Soul Calibur to me has really been the lesser of all the huge fighting game giants IE: Mortal Kombat, Street fighter, Tekken etc.

The fighting was always the lest intricate or thought provoking and of course, the woman are all Barbie dolls. I liked 3 but that was long ago and I didn't play games at all really so I liked it. I have a whole circle of friends who all got soul Calibur IV and they all thought it was terrible.

Indifferent about this whole thing. Won't look twice if it isn't trying anything new/ trying to increase depth.

Side note, Voldo. That guy was awesome.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
What that doesn't tell me is if the game will have custom characters or not.

Those are the only reason I played Soul Calibur IV.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Necromancer Jim said:

Custom characters have already been confirmed to return

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Necromancer Jim said:

They'll be in the game, but what I dont get is why yo would thinkt hey wont be. Thats like, staple of fighting game, especially with soul calibur.

And even more so if they bring back a tales of the sword thing like they had in SC II and SC III

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Aiddon said:
Necromancer Jim said:

Custom characters have already been confirmed to return
Then I just might borrow it from my cousin.

I don't really buy the Soul Calibur games.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
Necromancer Jim said:

They'll be in the game, but what I dont get is why yo would thinkt hey wont be. Thats like, staple of fighting game, especially with soul calibur.

And even more so if they bring back a tales of the sword thing like they had in SC II and SC III
Soul Calibur IV is the only fighting game I've played recently with custom characters...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Necromancer Jim said:
emeraldrafael said:
Necromancer Jim said:

Soul Calibur IV is the only fighting game I've played recently with custom characters...
Oh, I'm sorry. I've been playing each Soul cal game as my go to game.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Just a few things I've noticed, take it for a grain of salt maybe but:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-11-first-soulcalibur-v-details

V marks a shift from two-handed swords to short swords, Tago announced. The story includes "the enigma as to why the swords have become short swords".

http://www.8wayrun.com/threads/vague-speculations-daishis-twitter-round-13.6990/

3. ?Soulcalibur, the after years? with a new and young character (Bangoo etc). Existing characters are older (old Mitsurugi etc).

14. Sophitia and Cassandra?s children battle it out. One leads the SE army and the other leads the SC army. "The battle of the Alexandras".

http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/Cassandra

"She carried out her conviction and protected the bonds of family. There will be peace, as long as that belief remains."

Just thought I'd share my own vague speculations. There are a few other things bugging me, but I don't have any concrete evidence on where those might go. In soul calibur IV for instance, Rapheal (presumably) tells Cassie it seems she has a natural ability to ward off evil.

http://www.soulpedia.net/wiki/Cassandra

So, woman, you can ward off evil, though not as strong as the Holy Stone. Interesting. I'll let you live for now.
Whereas Sophitia's children have shards of soul edge within them, and indeed go berserk over a shard Rothion (their father) brings home.

Also, nothing concrete but, Patroklos bears more than a passing resemblance to Alexander the great, who tried to conquer the world: