Tali'Zorah is 9 days old: An update and a story on fatherhood

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Well I suppose you have a good commitment to what you like, still keeping the Zorah after pretty much the entire thread told you to go with just Tali... but GZ anyway.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
testiou said:
thebobmaster said:
That's a fair point. It wasn't the point the guy making the post I quoted was making, though. He was saying that they named her that either just because of the character, or because they felt their daughter was special. I was pointing out that their reasons for the name were different.
Thats what you think happend. But he had a saying in this whole "how to name our daughter" thing. And I say he wanted to call her like that because he thought it would be a good idear to name her like an alien he had sex with.
I say, I say, I say.....

Grow up, seriously.

In fact, all you naysayers, grow the fuck up.

Can't people around here just be happy that he's enjoying fatherhood, has a healthy baby, and is improving himself as a nice side-effect.

Sometimes I despair at this place. For fucks sake!

I think it's a lovely name, and I don't give a shit about Mass Effect.......like most people she'll be likely to encounter in the future.

I may or may not get a warning for this post, but it really had to be said!

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
testiou said:
What evidence? We just have a statment - From himself...

We don't know if he really called his daughter Tali'Zorah - we don't even know if he has a daughter.
And what if his daughter is actually a member of the Illuminati? What if life's all just a dream and we're about to wake up? How do we know if our names are, like, really OUR names!? WHO AM I!!?

OT: Congratulations on being a dad! Glad to hear that Tali's doing well.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
I just want to share a couple thoughts. First, parents have every right in the US to name their kids what they want, no matter how silly someone else thinks it is. Second, Tali'Zorah may present some difficulties in computer databases and other such things in the future, but it's hardly something as unusual (aka stupid) as naming your kid "Abcde". Tali'Zorah is beautiful, if unfamiliar for many people. Third, congrats on the kiddo. She looks amazing. I've got a 3 year old boy and 5 month old girl of my own and fatherhood is seriously the greatest thing I've done with my life outside of being a husband. You may sometimes miss your time with games, old friends that you don't see as often, etc. but watching your child smile, crawl, walk, and speak are some of the greatest parts of life. If you ever need someone to commiserate with about daddy-hood, just send me a PM.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
well I named my daughter Rozalin (from Disgaea 2) not for any particular reason I was just running through names I knew with her mother Id all ready thought of a lot and happened to pick up the box for Disgaea 2 which I was playing at the time.

I mentioned the name and we both liked it a lot and its a real name the game isn't MASSIVELY known its a nice name that you don't hear too often and its easily shortened to Roz or Rose so she shouldn't be made fun of for it so why not.

that said (and not to tell you what to do its your choice) if I was you I would have stuck with Tali on its own.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Congratulations man! She's cute!
Of course it's hard to judge from forum posts, but it sounds like you're a great dad.
As for anyone complaining about the names... how is it any different from giving your child a name you read in a book? in 12 years, I doubt anyone in high school at that point will know what Mass Effect is, so I don't think that'll be an issue. and honestly, I like the name.

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
No comments on the name because I've already said my part, it went unconsidered, story over and it doesn't matter anymore. It's just wasted breath (uhh, wasted typing?) but I do feel for the kid once she gets older because kids are brutal and the day that she goes to a friend's house and they Google her name out of curiosity about what it means and it pulls up thousands of erotic fanarts and fanfics of Tali'Zorah...well, I'll just say that's going to be an interesting day for the parents! Especially if the classmates catch wind of it and print out said erotica and stick it on her locker. It's definitely something kids would do because kids are gigantic assholes.

That said though, the baby looks great and it sounds like you do understand and appreciate the sacrifices and joys that parenthood will bring and I hope you can keep up that momentum as a father. She's going to need you every single day until the day you die, you know, but it sounds like naming aside, you're really going to be a good father. You'll inevitably screw up and destroy her in some way/s, but every single parent in the world does that!

I think all this hubbub about names has made me decide that if I ever spawn, I'm just going to open a baby name book to a random page, close my eyes, and stick my finger onto the page and whatever that name is is the name of the spawn.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Oh my god she is so cuteeeeeeeeeee *intense squealy voice*

We're so happy to see you happy! Also, i'm sure you're an amazing father to little Tali :3 Great you dropped smoking;for your health and hers!

Also, poo to all the grumps! They should get their little butts out of this thread then.

We here are all so happy for you!!

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
While I may not view having my child be named after a videogame character as a good idea as long as you do everything ing your power to raise your child well, love them, support them, and protect them, then you have done more than millions of other dead beat dads or workalholics have ever done for their children. I wish best of luck with your child and hope you all have a good life, but if she decides to want her name changed later or is constantly getting picked on at school because of her name since we know children can be cruel to others please support her decision to change it if that possibility ever comes. Honestly hope that above doesn't happen and she has no trouble, but knowing people you are going to have some one act cruel because of something as simple as a name.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
Daaaaaawwwww *remembers i have 3 siblings atleast 10 yrs younger than me* GLHF

but in all seriousness, i think that is awesome. Just remember to buy your shotgun (to protect her, of course) early ;)

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Awww, she's so cute~

Though the name is dubious, and kids will probably mock her for it since they are little shits, it's a nice name regardless.
You two should make her a tali costume for halloween, with an omni-tool included.
Would be the best halloween costume ever.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
suitepee7 said:
keiji_Maeda said:
I don't know if some of the people actually involved in this discussion are aware of the fact. But Tali is actually a Hebrew name, i have a friend named it, and as a matter of fact, a hells kitchen (or summat) participant was named it a few years ago. google it, if you doubt the veracity or intent of my claim. I'm fine with if you don't believe it. But it is a name.
afaik nobody has said anything about Tali, more the 'Zorah part. Tali is a pretty nice name, and is really likely to be what she's called, by everybody, ever...

personally i have the same issue, i like the name Tali, but for me at least, Tali'Zorah takes it that step too far and crosses the line into what i would call 'silly names'. but regardless, it's clear the man loves his child, and that is by far the most important thing here
True enough, but there seemed to be some confusion regarding the entirety of the names validity. And as such i though it might be usefull to say that Tali itself is an actual name. Not to be douchy and say "fnaw! you don't know that this is in fact an ORDINARY name, fnah fnah fnaw!" but rather because there are so many names that it is difficult to know the origins of them.

My douchiness is drawn from a completely different well.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
thebobmaster said:
Wonder how many of the people attacking the OP for the name choice realize that it's quite presumptuous of them to act like they know how Tali will react in a few years. Who knows? She might like the name enough to ignore anyone who insults her over it. Criticizing him for not thinking of her when he named her, while acting like you know EXACTLY what her personality will be like in 5 or 10 years, is a bit much.

*ahem* After I got that off my chest, I just wanted to wish the OP good luck. I'm not great with kids, so I'm glad it's you and not me. :p
keiji_Maeda said:
Gawrsh, this? Really?

I came in here ready to fairly critical of the name choice. But on these puny vindictive grounds?

never.

I don't know if some of the people actually involved in this discussion are aware of the fact. But Tali is actually a Hebrew name, i have a friend named it, and as a matter of fact, a hells kitchen (or summat) participant was named it a few years ago. google it, if you doubt the veracity or intent of my claim. I'm fine with if you don't believe it. But it is a name.
I know you probably don't really care, but the Tali you were thinking of was on Masterchef US, season 3. Just saying.

On a different note, wonder how much teasing THAT Tali went through, since Tali is traditionally a female name, and he was very much not a female. Just thought I'd attach a photo (or GIF, in this case), just to show that Tali is, in fact, a real name.

HAha, right you are, it was Masterchef. I remember him trying to make a chicken dish with chocolate buttons. He probably went through some teasing as well. But as i said, kids will tease each other.I'm not trivializing the fact, I'm just repeating it with a grim solemnity.

I'm pretty sure the child will, at some point, get angry with her parents for naming her after a videogame character. but then again, kids will rave at their parents regardless of what they used as source of inspiration. Being angry at what is and what isn't is a large part of developing as a teenager.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I said this in the last thread; but if there was one thing I regret about my childhood, it was not having the opportunity to do after-school activities, because no one could drive me home.

Please make time for her to do extra stuff besides school, particularly a sport. She'll blossom and have tons of friends. I'm scared that she'll just pick up video games. Although video games got me into my crowd of friends in high school and allowed me to stretch my social graces, I don't think the same happens for girls.

Just think of all the girls you admired in school; they either played a sport or was involved in an extracurricular activity or maybe it was even church.

And the name? Fuck, teach her some values and not to stick her head into her phone and she'll fare a lot better than others.

EDIT: I'm serious about the phone thing, a lot of parents stick iPhones and iPads in front of kids to shut them up. TV is bad enough. I'm pretty sure electronics breeds ADD/ADHD symptoms.
Always vigilant.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Unholy Frag! The cynicism is thick in the air. If the Escapist was a building I would load a jar of glitter into a FlashBang then calmly walk out the door before lobbing the sucker over my shoulder and with a final cry utter: HAVE A FANCY DAY!!!

OT: Cute kid. I honestly have no problem with the name and think that it will ultimately be shorted to Tali by force-of-habbit, though personally I gravitate towards exotic names. As for those claiming you set her up for bullying, really? Kids will bully kids for absolutely nothing, they want to bully and so they will do it and there is nothing you can do outside of having competent school staff and being an alert, supporting parent. All in all, good luck raising you kid.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Redlin5 said:
Your heart is in the right place if you're constantly thinking about that little bundle of new life in the next room while gaming and checking your smoking habits. It's fair enough to post about a follow up here all things considered.

I wish you and baby Tali'Zorah the best of luck as you watch her go from rugrat to young lady.
Thank you. She's the center of my world now, and it happened to be a quick and painless process, transferring all of my desires onto bettering her life. Maybe cancelling the Dark Souls 2 preorder was a little hard, but I'll play it eventually. It's amazing how little importance something like Dark Souls has to me now, actually.

Chemical Alia said:
Oh my God, you actually did it. D: Oh man. The apostrophe and everything...

Well, good luck with your kid. Don't know what else to say. Glad to hear she's healthy and normal.
It was always going to happen. I mishandled the last thread because I was freaking out a bit, there wasn't a chance that even a 100% group vote would change it. Though haven't there been experiments on the dangers of moving forward with an action just because everyone around you is in support of it, and how likely people are to do that? Anyway, thanks for the good luck.

FootloosePhoenix said:
First off, d'aaaaaaaaw, she's so cute! Thanks for posting this. Once again, she's absolutely beautiful. :)
Of course. Like I said, I don't have a Facebook or a blog, and I told you guys about her first...so it made sense to update everyone on it. Whether out of pure curiosity or genuine interest, I figured there were some people who wanted to know what happened and how it's been, so here I am. Thank you.

EeveeElectro said:
D'awwwwwwwwww, she's so tiny! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.(Even I was a bit hmmm haa hmmm about it because you assumed she would like it, which isn't always the case with people >.> but there's always options open for her if she doesn't.)

Anyway, good luck with the future and savour every moment! ^_^
To be completely honest, if I thought in my heart that her name alone would cause her any harm, it would be a different name. I also couldn't live with myself if people asked about her name and I had to either admit or think to myself "Well a lot of people on the Internet weren't happy about the name we had in mind, so I gave in to peer and cultural pressure and went with something 'safe'". Her life will be hard. Almost everyone's life is hard, no matter what their name is. The best thing I can do is be there for her, teach her how to treat people right, and how to handle adversity in all of its forms. To elaborate, I don't understand the line of thinking. That the best thing I could do would be to name her "Danielle Normal", not allow her to dye her hair blue or purple, and choose ultra-conservative clothing for her and not let her choose them so that she can best blend in and avoid any attention, negative or otherwise. Pardon me, but fuck that.. I know I'm weird, and my mind probably doesn't work like other people's, so it turns out that I'm in love with the name I gave her. I can only hope that she loves it, and that we have a strong enough relationship to survive her changing the name if she doesn't like it. I'll do everything on my end to ensure that strength. Thank you to you as well.

Daystar Clarion said:
It becomes an issue when said parent asks people about said name, then decides to ignore all advice because he was never seeking it in the first place, only using it to garner attention, which sets off several alarm bells in my head.

Fulfilling a biological imperative doesn't make someone immune to criticism, if anything they deserve more, because it isn't just their life they're in control of anymore.

Man, Grumpstar is at full grump today XD
There's a difference between "I want attention" and "I'd really like to talk about this with someone, shame I don't have many friends in RL. Maybe I'll talk about it with that community I'm a part of". I admit that I handled it poorly, but I also admit that I was kind of losing my marbles over the fact that it was really happening and she was really coming. And let Grumpstar shine, at least you care.

Simple Bluff said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
I already encountered the "apostrophe not working in the computer system" at the pediatrician, so they just dropped it and it's "Talizorah" on the paperwork there.
Wait, really? Why would an apostrophe cause an error in the system? Lots of names have apostrophes - well not in their first name, granted, but there's plenty of "O' Neils, O' Connors" etc. That's an awfully silly system.

Anyway, congratulations on the baby. I didn't look at the pictures but she sounds well. I can't say I like the name Tali'Zorah (Tali sounds really nice on its own though), but you've thought about it a hell of a lot more than I have, and it seems like you done it for the right reasons. You seem to be doing a pretty good job of looking after her, and that's always nice to see.

Thanks for sharing OP. Made my day a little brighter.
Yeah, I didn't think the apostrophe problem would happen so soon, or that it would really matter. I guess it's not really a problem, just that the apostrophe isn't on that particular form. Thank you for your good wishes, and making me feel better about going through with sharing it with you guys. The Escapist is my "social circle", but I may have to find somewhere else to include fatherhood in the discussions. That's okay though.

CloudAtlas said:
Well, I still don't think it was a good idea, but the deed is done, so all the best to you and your child.
You and I may still disagree about her name, but I sincerely appreciate the fact that you cared about a stranger enough to expel the effort you did. Also, for being levelheaded and respectful in your disagreement. Thank you, and I wish you well.

Also, her Social Security card came in the mail today, really cemented it in my mind. I haven't loved the name more than seeing it on that card. It was like "wow, she's a real legal person now, and the government saw 'Tali'Zorah' and put it right through". I'm sure I'm set for more moments like that, this whole journey has been like nothing I've felt as a human.