Target Aus Pulls GTA V From Shelves, For Its "Violence Against Women" - Update

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
You'll have to forgive me. Talking about SJWs is so fucked nowadays.

Well, that's kind of a problem with people that complain about feminists. A lot of them say that they want more positive feminists, but they don't bother to look for them.

The problem with saying fighting games have a diverse cast is the same as saying Civilization games have a diverse cast. It's a game that doesn't have/care about characters. And I know that there examples out there, I flat out said so. Problem is that they're extremly outnumbered. I'm not asking for a 50/50 split but come on! We can do better than what we've got.

I myself have a few issues there that I'm not proud of, so no comment.

Fair enough, I take back my earlier point. Though I would like to point out that you do not speak for all people of color. Just keep that in mind.

Uh. Yeah it could. We could get a few more protagonists that aren't hetrosexual white males. As a start. Then maybe we could make it so that every female character isn't a bomb shell. And that if she isn't a bomb shell she isn't automatically evil or a crazy homeless lady. I could go on for a LONG time.

People playing a game does not automatically mean that that game is inclusive towards them and that it is impossible to improve anything. Honestly man, what kind of argument is that?
not quite, take a look at mortal combat and skullgirls, yeah theres some diversity but they dont reach capcom levels, turst me capcom has always been the best at making colorful characters for their fighting games, to this day i still have fond memories of power stone...

what i like is that they never bragged about it, it was all natural and the inclusion of such diverse characters made their games better, they had a reason to be there so they didnt feel forced

my point was that, if games werent inclusive, there would be far less people playing because they would be excluded

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
so, some feminists in norway are trying to do the same thing, get GTA5 pulled from the stores in norway

http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/XboxOne/9191/den-norske-kvinnefronten-krever-at-butikker-fjerne-gta-v-fra-hyllene

told you
...You do realize the majority of the people on this site aren't going to be able to read a god damn word of that right?

And wait for the game to ACTUALLY BE PULLED OFF OF THE SHELVES then you get to pull the "I told you so" card. And considering it sounds like they're trying to get the government to do it (I can't tell because I can't read the article) I consider the chances of the game getting pulled slim at best.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffiiiiinnnee

im just saying is a slippery slope and we should be careful, inclusivity SHOULD mean more games, not less

also you can translate the thing with chrome

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
no of course im not implying she did this it would be ridiculous
So when you said THAT PERSON, you meant someone different this time?

That would be convenient.
no i did mean her, my point was that, while anita didnt get GTA5 banned, people who think like her did
People who think like you include fucking Nazi's like KoP! This is such a worthless fucking argument.
KoP probably doesnt think like me when it comes to race and nazis, but he probably thinks like me when it comes to video games, probably, i havent asked him personally and i dont follow him

the people i described think pretty much like anita when it comes to video games, and there is where i find the irony, "we wont take your games", and yet people like her are getting games pulled from stores

were you trying to prove something? because i think you missed the point
He thinks like you do about the dreaded SJW, like a reactionary.

And as one of those people who "think like Anita," I can assure you I am entirely against this whole petition. It's idiotic and misinformed. This doesn't change my stance on political issues, this doesn't change my stance on games or gaming culture.
then you dont fucking think like anita, anita legitimately believes devs should me made to stop making games like GTA5

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sarkeesian-dubbed-video-game-avenger-on-striking-bloomberg-businessweek-cover/0141950

again you keep missing the point

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NuclearKangaroo said:
You kind of shot your argument in the foot there. You flat out just said that most fighting games aren't as diverse as Capcom games. And I'm not denying that capcom games are diverse. I'm just saying that since it's a fighting game, they don't have much in the ways of personalities. So it's kind of a minimal effort thing. It's a good step, but me and a lot of other people want more diversity in terms of story as well as gameplay.

You know people can have problems with a game and still enjoy it. And there are plenty of people playing games now, but if it was more inclusive we could very easily see even MORE people playing.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

no i did mean her, my point was that, while anita didnt get GTA5 banned, people who think like her did
People who think like you include fucking Nazi's like KoP! This is such a worthless fucking argument.
KoP probably doesnt think like me when it comes to race and nazis, but he probably thinks like me when it comes to video games, probably, i havent asked him personally and i dont follow him

the people i described think pretty much like anita when it comes to video games, and there is where i find the irony, "we wont take your games", and yet people like her are getting games pulled from stores

And as one of those people who "think like Anita," I can assure you I am entirely against this whole petition. It's idiotic and misinformed. This doesn't change my stance on political issues, this doesn't change my stance on games or gaming culture.
then you dont fucking think like anita, anita legitimately believes devs should me made to stop makign games like GTA5

I think devs should stop making games like GTA 5 of their own volition, because they are terrible. That is, at worst, what I've heard Anita has said.

Edit: your edit is an example of her saying just that.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NuclearKangaroo said:
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
so, some feminists in norway are trying to do the same thing, get GTA5 pulled from the stores in norway

http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/XboxOne/9191/den-norske-kvinnefronten-krever-at-butikker-fjerne-gta-v-fra-hyllene

told you
...You do realize the majority of the people on this site aren't going to be able to read a god damn word of that right?

And wait for the game to ACTUALLY BE PULLED OFF OF THE SHELVES then you get to pull the "I told you so" card. And considering it sounds like they're trying to get the government to do it (I can't tell because I can't read the article) I consider the chances of the game getting pulled slim at best.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffiiiiinnnee

im just saying is a slippery slope and we should be careful, inclusivity SHOULD mean more games, not less

also you can translate the thing with chrome
Once again, slippery slope is kind of a logical fallacy. You need evidence that things will go as far as you claim.

Free online translate programs are iffy at the best of times. And if you're the one you brought up the article. If you bring up a foreign article, it's your job to tell people what it means and not to just tell people to figure it out for themselves.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
You kind of shot your argument in the foot there. You flat out just said that most fighting games aren't as diverse as Capcom games. And I'm not denying that capcom games are diverse. I'm just saying that since it's a fighting game, they don't have much in the ways of personalities. So it's kind of a minimal effort thing. It's a good step, but me and a lot of other people want more diversity in terms of story as well as gameplay.

You know people can have problems with a game and still enjoy it. And there are plenty of people playing games now, but if it was more inclusive we could very easily see even MORE people playing.
i mean they are kind of diverse, im just saying capcom goes one step beyond, they always have

personality wise, you might have a point there, but i think, atleast the SF series does a good job of characterization

hell, im just reminded, i think the japanese devs are some of the most inclusive folks of all, and they dont even give a shit about inclusivity, probably the first game to ever directly involve my country, is a japanese one, front mission 5

i think if you look for diverse games, you are going to find them, we could have more sure, but just let the market have what they want

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

then you dont fucking think like anita, anita legitimately believes devs should me made to stop makign games like GTA5

I think devs should stop making games like GTA 5 of their own volition, because they are terrible. That is, at worst, what I've heard Anita has said.

not really she wants game publishers to enforce censorship

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sarkeesian-dubbed-video-game-avenger-on-striking-bloomberg-businessweek-cover/0141950

is this what you want?

edit: so thats what you want? very well, you do think like her and you are pro-censorship

Buckets

May 1, 2014
What a bunch of tossers, I suppose they will pull smash brothers for the violence against animals and princesses too.
Thank fuck I don't live in Australia.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

is this what you want?

edit: so thats what you want? very well, you do think like her and you are pro-censorship
Considering that telling devs what they are allowed to make is exactly what publishers do, yeah, to a degree. I'd rather the devs make the choice themselves, and I'd rather there not be publishers at all, but if that is the role that publishers are going to play anyway I don't see why I should arbitrarily draw the line at them dictating the amount of sexist content in a game, considering that they dictate most of the rest of it.

Edit: to clarify, as an outright Marxist, I'd rather publishers, as capitalist overlords, not exist at all, and have no power to dictate anything, but if they are to have such powers, then why limit them at that particular arbitrary point. I also find it distasteful that she would go to publishers instead of developers to find help, but that kind of fits into the white upper-middle class image I have of Anita, which is part of the reason I personally don't watch her videos.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

is this what you want?

What's wrong with a woman breaking out of the tower herself instead of getting rescued?

Also, can all the Pro-GG and anti-GG people take their arguments into the GG threads in R&P please?

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
GamingBlaze said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

Ah yes....the whole "I think something is terrible therefore it should not exist" argument that is common among many censorship advocates.

Just because you don't like GTA and think it's a terrible series doesn't mean everyone else shares the same sentiment.In fact good luck convincing Rockstar to stop making games for a series that generates millions of dollars for them on release,I'm sure they'll laugh at the notion.
For me to not hold the stance that GTA ought to not exist in its current form would be intellectual cowardice on my part. I think that it is uncreative, Nihilistic, somewhat misogynistic, misanthropic, and that it is a horrible trendsetter in game design.

And I don't care how much money it makes. I don't care how invested my capitalist overlords are in its success. Fuck them. If they will let profits stand in the way of morals and good game design, then they are exactly the kind of people I have no patience for.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Bat Vader said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

is this what you want?

What's wrong with a woman breaking out of the tower herself instead of getting rescued?

Also, can all the Pro-GG and anti-GG people take their arguments into the GG threads in R&P please?
christ that isnt the damn problem, she wants publishers to enforce censorship on devs, that IS the problem, and her idea isnt even that original, is like playing oblivion with a female character, no wait, is like playing the FIRST 20 minutes of oblivion with a female character

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
how about we fight fire with fire?

https://www.change.org/p/target-continue-to-sell-grand-theft-auto-5-in-australia/share

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Zontar said:
They aren't coming for out games, they said. No one's trying to censor anything, they said. Man this was upsetting, not for the fact that a company I hate caved in, but because this sets a precedent, and a particularly bad one at that.
No amount of fear mongering is actually going to make this, you know, true.

Zhukov said:
It still amuses me to see Gamergaters getting pissed off by this.

"We use letter writing campaigns to influence the actions of news outlets hardly any of us frequented but which offended us with their sensibilities?"
"Whoo, yeah! Consumer power baby! I am Gamer, hear me type!"

"A bunch of busybody think-of-the-children types used a letter writing campaign to influence the actions of a business stocking a product hardly any of them were going to buy but which offended their sensibilities?"
"WHOA! Whoa. Can of worms, man! Dangerous precedent right there! Why, it's practically censorship! Domestic terrorism even!"
Well, what did you expect? Consistency?
Except it IS true and they got a game pulled from a major retailer by LYING about the content. It's one thing if the game ACTUALLY did the stuff they accuse it of, but when they're making shit up to get it pulled, yeah that's pretty fucking shitty.

To the consistency part.
It's almost like a giant group of people online might have different opinions, some might be different overall and it's almost like they're not ACTUALLY one group? I'm not a GGer but I think you're making some interesting "points."

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
GamingBlaze said:
Revnak said:
GamingBlaze said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

Ah yes....the whole "I think something is terrible therefore it should not exist" argument that is common among many censorship advocates.

Just because you don't like GTA and think it's a terrible series doesn't mean everyone else shares the same sentiment.In fact good luck convincing Rockstar to stop making games for a series that generates millions of dollars for them on release,I'm sure they'll laugh at the notion.
For me to not hold the stance that GTA ought to not exist in its current form would be intellectual cowardice on my part. I think that it is uncreative, Nihilistic, somewhat misogynistic, misanthropic, and that it is a horrible trendsetter in game design.

And I don't care how much money it makes. I don't care how invested my capitalist overlords are in its success. Fuck them. If they will let profits stand in the way of morals and good game design, then they are exactly the kind of people I have no patience for.
Uh....GTA is a game series about crime and being a criminal.The series has never pretended to be anything but.Morals?In a GTA game?Seriously.....
You do notice that half of my complaints were about its terrible effect on modern game design and lack of creativity? There is no purpose in the game's millions of options, no thought. They're just there to be there. It leads to a game where everything you do is trivial and pointless.

I'm not asking for a game that teaches a good lesson to people about how we ought to all be nice to one another. The fact that the game at best pushes Nihilistic and misanthropic messages is a minor part of my issues with it. I don't like the game design, and I find the thoughtlessness and pointlessness of it all to be, well, immoral.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
Bat Vader said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Revnak said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

is this what you want?

christ that isnt the damn problem, she wants publishers to enforce censorship on devs, that IS the problem, and her idea isnt even that original, is like playing oblivion with a female character, no wait, is like playing the FIRST 20 minutes of oblivion with a female character
I kind of agree with her somewhat but at the same time game developers have pretty much moved away from that stuff. Bioware has almost always had homosexual, lesbian, and bisexual romances in their games and lets players play either a male or female protagonist. I will admit I do dislike the macho manly types. I am a male and I find those types of protagonists stupid which is why I love playing as rogues and mages. Weaker characters that make up for it with finesse, guile, and intelligence.

I dislike zero tolerance policies. They are too restrictive and stifle creativity. If a developer wants to make a sexist, homophobic, racist game I say they have that right but they should not be surprised if it doesn't sell well or at all.