Target Australia will no longer stock GTA5

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
peruvianskys said:
Yes, and they chose not to listen to you. If you don't like it when companies ignore your requests and demands, try being someone who cares about women in this industry and watch it happen over and over. Sucks, doesn't it?
How do you know that? This just happened. It's not like we were invited to a public forum and we got to argue the merits of not pulling it with Target. Give it a week or so. Target will probably bring it back in time for Christmas.

And I have no problem with bookstores choosing not to hold anti-woman bullshit on their shelves.
Are you honestly arguing against free speech? This is so puzzling.

Let's get something straight - Puritans *loved* violence against women. They were really big on it. This has nothing to do with puritanism.
Complete non-sequitur.

It has everything to do with women demanding that depictions of their abuse and their degradation are not sold to men as entertainment.
It's not even an official part of the game, you dunce. This is like a Christian reading Harry Potter and thinking it's encouraging kids to follow the occult. Have you even played the game? In before you haven't.

I'm not a liberal. Liberalism has always protected white male interests over the interests of the oppressed.
As a southeast asian who has suffered from racism, I disagree.

I'm a radical.
Well, I'm glad we can agree on something

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I don't give a fuck.
1. This is just the free market doing its thing. (Fuck capitalism)
2. Why buys games at target?
3. Who buys GTA?

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Evil Smurf said:
I don't give a fuck.
1. This is just the free market doing its thing. (Fuck capitalism)
2. Why buys games at target?
3. Who buys GTA?
1. Irrelevant.
2. Plenty do, they have a great return policy too.
3. Arround 34 million units were shipped, and the game made about 2 Billion dollars. And that was before the HD Remake and PC version. So a lot.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
peruvianskys said:
I'm not a liberal. Liberalism has always protected white male interests over the interests of the oppressed. I'm a radical.
That shouldn't be something to be proud of, radicals (on both sides of the political alley) are poisonous to discussion. They without fail make their positions seem ridiculous and idiotic

also do you not get that the petition is lying in order to get signatures? several of the things they claim literally do not happen in the game

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
OMG, IT'S CENSORSH...

No, hang on, it's a business responding to customer feedback and choosing not to sell a specific product that is still freely available to anyone who wishes to buy it.
BUT AS A HARDCORE GAMER I BUY MY GAMES FROM TARGET ALL THE TI-

oh wait no I don't
rob_simple said:
Nobody was forcing these idiots to buy a copy of GTA V, this is just a company bending to the will of some reactionary puritan dipshits because they cried the loudest but, as others have rightly said, it won't stop people buying it elsewhere so, hey, if Target don't wanna stock one of the best-selling games of all time then that is literally their loss.
they are not idiots

no one is an idiot for looking at something and going "you know what? I can't abide this shit"

I don't have any interest in playing GTA V because its apparent that there's little appeal, I don't like how the game treats women (which I'm not just basing on player action)

its immature to get all pissy because people take moral issue with the things you like

kazann

Jan 18, 2013
?It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005]?

This is so relative in the current climate.

wildstyle96

Oct 7, 2014
This just in, Kmart is also no longer stocking the game and taking it off it's shelves.
What a cluster f***

http://mmgn.com/ps4/news--kmart-follows-targets-lead-rips-gta-v-off-she

kazann

Jan 18, 2013
snekadid said:
lapan said:
Because banning video games worked out so well for Australia last time

peruvianskys said:
They aren't opposed to GTA 5 because they "find its content disagreeable" - they're opposed to GTA 5 because it allows you to murder prostituted women. That's not "puritanism". Puritans loved violence against women. This is a basic expression of feminism: We probably shouldn't turn violence against women into a hobby.
GTA5 allows you to murder pretty much anyone, why are only the women a bad thing?
This is something I never understood, what is so wrong with depicting violence against women..... in relation to the ability to depict violence against men. For some reason an uproar gets raised when a woman in a video game is shown being killed, but no one minds that to get to that scene 100's of men were butchered in generally more horrible/creative ways.

Maybe they should give women in GTA games god mode like the children in skyrim and if you happen to be driving down the sidewalk and hit one your car explodes and she struts off like a pimp, unharmed.

I've played GTA5 and didn't notice any sense of violence against women that wasn't player driven or outside of norm for the narratives for all characters.

Hell the closest game I've seen to what is being suggested is the latest Tomb raider and that falls more to murder fetish than just violence against women.
this this and this.

is the answer one of those stupid feminist "but men have power and woman dont therefore its okay if men kill each other" things?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Vault101 said:
they are not idiots

no one is an idiot for looking at something and going "you know what? I can't abide this shit"

I don't have any interest in playing GTA V because its apparent that there's little appeal, I don't like how the game treats women (which I'm not just basing on player action)

its immature to get all pissy because people take moral issue with the things you like
"Idiot" or "idiotic" are perhaps the wrong words- ones I personally try to isolate to persons or behavior that appears to be lacking in intelligence, particularly behavior that seems self-sabotaging or counter-indicated by the stated goals of the person performing that behavior.

However,

There is a clear difference between suggesting that an individual has a right to find something objectionable (of course) and not to buy it (ditto) and acting upon the presumption that because they find it objectionable, no one else should be able to buy it.

I don't find that idiotic, but I do find it rather despicable, and not less so because it's strewn with a wrapper of moral outrage.

It's always strewn with a wrapper of moral outrage. "Howl" or "Are you there God? It's Me, Margaret." Jazz or heavy metal. Comics or gangster movies.

I do not approve of people who feel it's their duty to make how people express themselves, imagine, contemplate or play in private conform to their standards, short of a clear, genuine, and unmistakable conclusion that the way they do so is hurting themselves or others. And though there are plenty of vague handwaving arguments that "of course" "common sense" demands that we see such a link (in horror comics, jazz music, slasher movies, etc. etc.) there is rarely any suggestion that such demands didn't come to the fight with that narrative well in advance of anything resembling evidence.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Vault101 said:
Not really in this case. This isn't a "Stop hating the things I like" scenario (which would be immature). Those people taking issue this time actually closed an avenue for some people to get the things others liked. If that event continues to happen for other retailers, then there will be no way to buy the game, all because someone didn't like it.

I'm not even a fan of GTA games after the 3rd one. I just think that this was a crap move by Target, because if the Australian equivalent of the ESRB rating the game wasn't good enough, then where is the line to keep this from happening again with another game? I've worked for one of Target's American competitors, and in those retail environments, the desperate attempts to please customers are too common. It's not about what makes sense for the business, if the customer complains, it HAS to be addressed.

This is going off on a tangent, but we had The Incredibles playing on a looping DVD player for over a year. Some mom drops her kid off in the electronics department, and gets mad at us for showing her kid a PG movie when she comes back. We had to turn it off and replace it with something not PG. The funny part, it was an unrated nature show that got put in instead, and it involved real, actual birds killing each other. No one complained.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
I'm against the idea that the "expression" of privileged white men should be defended above the safety and dignity of the oppressed.

Complete non-sequitur.
No, it's not. You called it puritanism - I'm telling you that the actual puritans as well as anyone who could actually be said to be puritanical all engage in and support violence against women.

It's not even an official part of the game, you dunce. This is like a Christian reading Harry Potter and thinking it's encouraging kids to follow the occult. Have you even played the game? In before you haven't.
I'm a PC gamer, I've played all the GTA's up until 5 which isn't out yet.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
On the one hand, Target can basically do what they want. On the other hand, the actual petition is beyond absurd. These people are really starting to scare me now.

kazann

Jan 18, 2013
peruvianskys said:
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
I'm against the idea that the "expression" of privileged white men should be defended above the safety and dignity of the oppressed.

Complete non-sequitur.
No, it's not. You called it puritanism - I'm telling you that the actual puritans as well as anyone who could actually be said to be puritanical all engage in and support violence against women.

Please dont use oppressed like as if they're living in hell and are subjected to an authoritarian treatment. It makes your cause seem pathetic, this isn't the 1970's. Thank god its a small minority that think like you, they just happen to be vocal. I know women that would laugh at what your saying.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Zhukov said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
The biggest question that needs to be addressed here is who the fuck goes to Target for video games?
Wait, you're from Australia?

Huh. For some reason that I cannot now recall I always assumed you were European.
There's a difference? XD

(Says the girl who has moved around often enough to be called either of those, depending on when you ask... Ah... The joys of moving state and/or country ever 2-3 years... Just the last 2 years alone has seen me go from England, to South Australia, to Victoria... And you know what? It doesn't make all that much difference... XD)

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
peruvianskys said:
So you're against free speech. The idea that one person's speech matters more than another's is antithetical to the idea of free speech. Either everyone has it, or it's not free. Some pigs are not more equal than others.

Yes it is a non sequitur. It literally does not follow logically. I used puritans as an example of moral busybodies. You either missed the point of my argument entirely or you're being deliberately obtuse. I'll assume the former for now.

Here's another analogy: you're like the Red Guard during the time of Mao. You're labeling certain media as being bad for public morals and demanding that stores pull them from their shelves. It's shocking to me how someone who says they believe in social justice can be in favor of censorship. Free speech is our main weapon against oppression. How can you not see this? Have you never studied history?

So let me ask you this, how are you so sure the game encourages violence against women if you haven't even played it? People who have are telling you that's a false charge. What do you have to say about that?

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
wildstyle96 said:
This just in, Kmart is also no longer stocking the game and taking it off it's shelves.
Yay... We're waiting on you, Big W

Or considering Target and Kmart are from the same group, just add anyone from this list who sells games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesfarmers

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
BiH-Kira said:
No, the biggest question is why the fuck do so many people have brooms up their asses that they feel like they need to dictate everyone what they can or can't do. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Don't ruin the fun for others. They are worse than THAT kid that would take his ball home when he lost and prevent everyone else from having fun.

"You like it? Well fuck you, I don't like it so you can't enjoy it.". Even the majority of children are more mature than the people making the petition to remove GTA5.
Sounds like you've had a rough day. No problem bro, I understand.

Have a break..
[http://pimpandhost.com/image/38534378-original.html]

And chill out. Stop getting so puffed up over silly, irrelevant shit. Talk about brooms up asses, indeed.

EDIT: Oh wait a minute, you're talking about the people who want the game removed? I thought you were having a crack at me for the Target comment. Ahh, my bad.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Oh no, Target has stopped offering GTAV!

Now there are no places to buy it, what with Big W, EB Games, JB Hi-Fi and local game stores following suit...

Wait, they're not? You can still buy it at any of these stores?

Oh.

Carry on, then.

[sup][sup]Or just wait for the PC version.[/sup][/sup]

Also, as Yahtzee's good friend Gabriel said [https://twitter.com/gabrielenguard/status/540167353342763008]:
"Target no longer selling GTAV is like me no longer selling ginger wigs. You were surprised I did at all and don't care that I stopped."

Mahemium

Apr 18, 2013
wildstyle96 said:
What a cluster f***

http://mmgn.com/ps4/news--kmart-follows-targets-lead-rips-gta-v-off-she
It begins. Mark my words, this is the beginning of something horrible for the Australian gaming community.