Teacher Cancels Class Because of Portal 2 Launch

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I don't think I've done that in years, call in sick for a game or movie, mainly because I needed my sick days for when I was actually sick, one year I actually used up all my sick days and had to tap into my holidays when sick so I could actually pay the bills, yea that year sucked horribly, seemed like every other week I was getting some plague.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
This is why games need to be released on Friday, not Tuesday.

More to the point, this is a sign of forward progress on the medium. Ten years ago, the teacher would've had no bloody clue why everyone called in sick.

I live in a state of the U.S.A. where deer hunting is a big thing. The teachers at public schools know not to assign homework over those weekends. The same is true of Superbowl Sunday. How is this any different?

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
That's kind of worrying that people are throwing their education away for a game.

However, it is a great game and I have done the same for C&C 3 so I can't be too preachy.
I wouldn't call missing one lecture 'throwing away an education'. But yeah its not a great start.

I think Skyrim would be the only game this year that would make me think about it, in the end I probably wouldnt miss work or anything important though

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Don't lie - you've called in sick to school (or to work) because a game came out that you really wanted to play, haven't you?
No actually I haven't. When a new game comes out that I really want to play I have some freaking patience and play it when I have the free time. The same way that people take off the day after the Super Bowl I think it's silly. (granted some people may actually be sick the day after the Super Bowl) It shows a lack of self-restraint in my opinion.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Thank god it wasn't for Mortal Kombat.

I called out of work for the Saint's Row 2 launch, though,

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
go to school and go to work. I swear the game will still be the same at 5 as it is at 9. show some proper work ethic people, no wonder we're seen as slackers and underachievers.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
HUnh....

If that were my teachers, they wouldnt give you the notes and make you find it on your own.

Anyway, thats cool, i guess. Though i wouldnt have. That sets a precedent, and now everytime a big game comes out, enough kids have to say they are getting it on release and feign sick and they'll cancel class. I hope the teacher gets in trouble and serves a lesson to the others that the American Education system is failing.

... Well, failing harder.

Bayushi_Kouya said:
I live in a state of the U.S.A. where deer hunting is a big thing. The teachers at public schools know not to assign homework over those weekends. The same is true of Superbowl Sunday. How is this any different?
W-what? Are you in Elementary school? I live in Western PA, and hunting is big here too. And superbowl sunday? Try ANY Sunday in the NFL season. Stiller pride bitches. But we always got homework on the weekend. you just took it with you when you went hunting. Made you look more intellectual when you blew the deers brains out from 300 yards away. (EDIT) And better yet if you took it and beat in the head of some Browns fan (though with their team, maybe some brain damage would help them forget they support Cleveland).

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Tulks said:
Anyone else bothered by the grammatical error in the first line? I hope this wasn't an English class.
Welcome to the department of redundancy department?

Yeah, I caught that

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
That's kind of worrying that people are throwing their education away for a game.
I know right? Missing that one lecture means that their entire lives are ruined! THE END IS NIGH, AND THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING, THY NAME, IS PORTAAAAALLLLLLL.

But seriously, its one class, its not that bad

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Korak the Mad said:
It would be ironic if the class was a science class.
it probably is a computer science class. where else would you a teacher who keeps up with videogames, or such a high concentration of preorders?

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
That is one cool teacher. To be fair Portal 2 is fucking awesome. I'm like three hours in.......

Time to go play some more ^_^

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
This made me smile, in a good way.
When i first read the headline, i actually thought that only the teacher wanted to play Portal and canceled it. But this is much more nicer. I can't put my finger on it, but i like something about this. I suppose it's cool that a teacher knows such stuff. Though, there's always the chance the teacher was lying about kids calling sick, and really did want to play Portal himself.

Still, nice piece of news.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
dogstile said:
But seriously, its one class, its not that bad
I love when I say something not 100% agreed with everyone will quote to tell you, you see how many messages I get by the time I get back from the pub, it'll be thousands all the same.

One lecture isn't bad no, I've skipped one or two this year. the problem is that people get accustomed to taking lessons off for any old reason and soon start taking them off for every reason. I saw it happen the past two years now and I can also say that even in an early year a lecture is hard to catch up with.

It's never 'one lecture' but it always starts with one, the second peopel realise no one's making them learn they stop attending and all their course mates working in groups suffer.
Oh man, me too, its fun isn't it? :p

The thing is, we call these people lost causes. I mean, if you don't have the willpower to keep learning, its your own damn fault really.