Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play, Meets the Medic

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
O___o I am now afrade of the medic

also if I wasnt busy being scared of the medic I would be angry about the whole 1$ thing

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
The one thing i wont look forward to is all the new players coming in in waves, begging for gear.

EDIT: Made Spy rose #73 :D

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Well I think this calls for a hat valve, or medal, perhaps some free guns?

Edit: So there IS a hat, all is well than

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
It's amazingly pathetic at the number of people whining and bawling because the game is now free. So what? The game and all the experiences you've had weren't taken away from you. Even if you did buy the game recently it used to cost no more than 10 dollars/euros to begin with and you're getting a hat with all this.

Jesus, do people that get conned into buying the same Call of Duty yearly for 60 dollars nag this much?

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Braedan said:
Come on man, it's customer appreciation. I mean, I'm not asking for a hat Sure I used them when I got them, but I never found much draw in them. But giving a free "thanks for the support" hat is a nice gesture by a company.

Of course, when people demand free stuff, that's a different story.
But there's the rub isn't it? Valve fans are the most entitled little shits on the face of the planet. If they don't get tons of free shit, then a shitstorm ye shall have. Or did you forget what happened with Portal 2 already?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Braedan said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
"To thank you for your years of support, we will be giving players who have purchased TF2 a special Proof of Purchase hat to wear on any character in-game."

...if Valve had not done anything maybe we could all be mature by ourselves. But nope, they had to step in and make sure we were "compensated". Bullshit, I got my $20 worth. Other people did too. Maybe let those "loyal customers" realise they were loyal for a reason instead of throwing them crumbs like they're a flock of retarded birds.
Come on man, it's customer appreciation. I mean, I'm not asking for a hat Sure I used them when I got them, but I never found much draw in them. But giving a free "thanks for the support" hat is a nice gesture by a company.

Of course, when people demand free stuff, that's a different story.
Well, it's just me. But this kind of condescension will breed a lot of self-entitled "we're better cos we bought the game first!" shitheads. Valve has done nothing but right, but the smallest crack and the community will tear itself apart - unfortunately, because if any of the comments on Twitter and Facebook count for anything, they will make it their business to tear themselves apart.

Should level out over time, but for this next few months... that very special type of fanboy (the kind without half a brain) will be whining as loud as they can possibly make themselves heard.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
Wow some of you people are Scrooges, huh?

I think this is clever of Valve, and that they've done a good job in trying to acknowledge both old and new players.

TF2 is worth 20 or so dollars, so why all the complaining now some lucky people get it for free?

kidd25

Jun 13, 2011
my pants are wet, no they are uber soaked after wacthing this. but also super pissed that i payed for a free to play game.

MustardTiger

Mar 31, 2010
Dammit! I just bought this game last week for my friend! *Sigh* I guess I should've waited.

Also, Meet the Medic was awesome. Of course now I imagine there will be a large boost in the medic population in game though.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Hectix777 said:
What does this mean? Did it have a sub fee at some point?
No, it used to cost twenty dollars. Not anymore.

They HAVE removed a few minor features, but you can get all of them for a dollar.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
http://teamfortress.com/freetoplay/faq.php

Q. Who has a premium account?
If you've ever spent money on TF2, you have a premium account. This includes purchasing the game before it was Free-to-Play , activating a retail version of the game, or making a purchase in the Mann Co. in-game store.

"Account comparison:
Free
Backpack: 50 slots
Items: Standard
Crafting: Limited blueprints
Trading: Receive items only
Gifting: Can receive gifts

Premium
Backpack: 300 slots (expandable up to 1000)
Items: Standard, Rare and Cosmetic
Crafting: All blueprints
Trading: Full trading
Gifting: Can give and receive gifts"

brb TF2
p.s. thank you VALVe, as always

NinjaSpaceCore

Aug 17, 2010
1. Too many newbz going to be on the nice servers.
2. There will be more servers that give gamebreaking effects to "premium" server members to leech money off the new people.
3. I hope there's at least something for people who paid for the game if it truly stays F2P (which I hope not)

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
As I overlook the FAQ for free people, I am deeply saddened by how bullshit it is. Getting the game for free means you CAN'T:

Give trades
You CAN trade, it's just gonna be how it's always been while premium members get a slightly enhanced version
Find hats
You can get hats and weapons as drops but some really rare stuff will be premium only drops.
Give gifts
See what I said about trading

Have as many backpack slots (1/6 the number a person who paid for it has, 50 compared to 300)
Use every crafting blueprint

Oh, and to upgrade to a 'premium' player, it costs $1. One dollar for a game I had paid $20 for.
That I agree with. Makes me feel like I wasted my money a year ago. Worth it though.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Yay! Now my cheap friends have no more excuses! Now if only I could find a damn key for the half dozen crates I have.

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
Baneat said:
Sunk cost fallacy everywhere here though

If it was worth $20 when you bought it (TOTALLY) then if it gets downgraded the next day to $1 it's irrelevant, you've paid your money and it was worth it then.
Time value of money too. Why not wait 10 years? Everything will be free by then. No need to spend money.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
The only thing I have to complain about are the little shits who will go behind their parents back and get this M rated game and then I'll have to listen to ten year olds fuck my team over. And the steam servers can't handle my request to play the game because all the free people are playing.