Team Fortress 2's Conversion Rate Is Huge And Confusing

infernovolver

Jun 11, 2008
Sectan said:
I'm currently F2P. Only reason I'm hesitating is because I don't know the first thing about prices and trading. I'd end up trading some rare thing for a silly baby's first item.
Funny story, I traded my first hat away for a brass beast. I was going by the mannco store prices for trading and found out the hard way that's not how things work at all, unless you want to get ripped off. If you're considering putting anywhere near as many hours as I put into TF2 (which is over 200 hours now), I recommend going premium. If you plan on trading, I strongly recommend reading up on prices, and 1:1 trading for weapons you don't have.

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
Strazdas said:
what makes TF2 store items much mroe attractive than in other games is that thos item offer bonuses so large its really a shame not to get it while in other games the game is tried to be kept actually balanced and thus the paid items are less attractive.
I'm not sure I follow; I've never encountered a single weapon in TF2 that was an absolute upgrade to the otherwise default set. Every advantage received has a price, causing the weapons to give a new flavor to a class, rather than giving them an unfair advantage.

Sectan said:
I'm currently F2P. Only reason I'm hesitating is because I don't know the first thing about prices and trading. I'd end up trading some rare thing for a silly baby's first item.
I'd be lost when it comes to trading if it weren't for handy guides like this cheat sheet [http://tf2spreadsheet.blogspot.com/]. Really, the biggest thing to remember is to never be in a hurry while looking to trade something; there will always be a better deal for those who wait.

Feb 13, 2008
TimeLord said:
I don't think it's just F2P players. I'm pretty sure my Engie's back has connected with your knife one too many times! You must be on a rediculous level for your Knife by now?
The knife is on Face Melting (1240) - Ambassador/Revolver at Scarcely Lethal - Flame Thrower at Sufficiently Lethal.

But that's what 1400 hours will do for you :)

MightyMole

Mar 5, 2011
Maybe it has something to do with players who play the game often making multiple accounts and buying stuff on them to make themselves richer in game... Because that's what I did. Bought 4 keys on 2 free accounts.

Pedro The Hutt said:
But... considering these days you can't use external programs anymore to idle while not in-game, that means they'd need to have five PCs (or more) capable of running TF2 in their possession, surely that would indicate that they're already in a fine financial situation. =p

And I would certainly hope that these guys don't make up the bulk of that 30% that goes from a F2P to a full TF2 account.
Well you only find a random number of items for 10 hours a week, so you really don't need multiple PCs. You just idle for the 10 hours and then open up the next account. I actually do have 2 PCs in my household that have TF2 installed on them, but I rarely need to use the second one because my friends use me as a middle man for their accounts anyway so I usually just have them help me out.

It's also very possible that they do make up a bulk of the percentage as I said, I made 2 free accounts and bumped them up to premium. As did a friend of mine.

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
Why do 30% of F2P players buy things? BECAUSE THE GAME IS AWESOME!!! :p

The game is so viral, every time I see a TF2 related picture I get the urge to play that day. I also remember to wear my proof of purchase hat at all times. Doesn't matter how nice those other hats are, that hat has E-penis all over it. Sticky, stiff, enlarged e-penis to help erect my dispensers. :p

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I like the F2P players. They make good cannon fodder.

Also, I can tell all my cheap friends to get the game and they can't say no. Saying no to a free game that awesome is like refusing to accept a blow job from a chocolate covered Megan Fox... Saying no means you're like super gay or something.