Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

irtaco

Dec 2, 2009
This is a little too much. I'm all for expulsion, but to bring the police in? I just gotta say...
WHHHYYY? He's an idiot, but really? Really?

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
This is the stupidest thing in the world. Arresting someone for things they posted? What a great use of money and time. Since when is talking trash about people a serious offense? I am amazed that they actually arrested him, I should be in jail as well then.
i second this. This is a complete waste of resources. This is a situation that needed to be handled by the school and the parents. Bullies beating up the geeks everyday (i've seen some nasty bruises in my time), doesn't even get a "shame on you", and here is this guy getting arrested for non-physical offensive statements...

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
This kid is fantastic. I applaud him for his efforts and would enthusiastically support the creation of this list anywhere else in the nation, if only to serve the creation of Facebook fap lists.

In all seriousness, he was stupid to post this stuff on the internet. But I think his idea is brilliant nonetheless.

sovietkitty101

Nov 9, 2009
Admittedly he took it a little too far by handing out copies, but atleast he was comitted. And fair play to the kid i dont know anyone who would have the balls to do something like this, expelled or not he'll have acheived legendary status at his school.
Some people need to chill.

funkzillabot

Dec 10, 2009
Father Time said:
Hive Mind said:
O maestre said:
i see no crime here... what the hell happened to freedom of speach the internet has so much more bile than this hormonal teenagers insignificant list. ridiculous...
The student printed th list out and handed it out to everyone in the school, before then parading around shouting sexist remarks. He committed slander. A crime.
Ranking girls based on how hot they are (which is subjective) is not slander or any kind of crime.

The first requirement for something to be slander is that it not be opinion. This fails that test instantly.
Actually that is a crime. Look it up. Ranking/nick naming ANYONE (which is a personal opinion). Then posting and/or passing out his personal opinion, (in a public forum) that will directly impact how others are perceived publicly. THAT IS SLANDER and goes against a person's civil liberties. This situation would be NO DIFFERENT if he had said "Jews" or "Blacks". But I guess since it's about "Women" it's ok, then?

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Is he a misogynistic douchebag? Yes, and that's putting it very mildly.
Is he a criminal? No. Not really.

A more fitting punishment would be to line up all the girls on the list and let them full-on slap him in turn.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Aslong as everyone who was on that list, agreed to let him add their names, I see no reason to not let him continue.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
zeldagirl said:
I'm sorry, but your entire post is made up of a lot of relationship myths. Some girls like assholes, others (I would say almost all that I know) don't. Some guys like women who don't "sleep around." Guess what - others DO! Some men don't have this archaic notion that women have to be pure, untouched virgins in order to want to date them/fall in love with them/marry them/etc. These concepts are not the only precursors to attraction, and they aren't necessarily make-or-break qualities, either.
I never said girls like assholes, I put that in quotes to show that it is what people say. Girls normally like guys with confidence, assholes usually show a lot of confidence, therefore people assume that when the girl likes the confident asshole, they like the asshole part of him rather than the confidence part.

Guys don't like women who sleep around, as it is entirely illogical, both from a rational perspective and an evolutionary one. Guys may like women with sexual experience, but that is not the same thing at all. If a guy is attracted to a woman who sleeps around, it is because they think she will put out, not because they actually like her as a person. She is seen as an easy lay.

No, a lot of guys don't have this notion that they have to be "pure", and I am not suggesting that a girl must be so in order to be attractive. Somebody who doesn't care who they sleep with on the other hand is seen to lack standards and self respect. Obviously this isn't necessarily the case, they may just like casual sex, but that doesn't bode well for someone who is looking for a committed relationship because they will assume that the person isn't likely to be faithful. Again, this isn't necessarily true, but it isn't far-fetched.

funkzillabot

Dec 10, 2009
Father Time said:
RivFader86 said:
Father Time said:
RivFader86 said:
bringer of illumination said:
Really? He was arrested for THAT?

I don't know how things work in America, but here in Denmark a list that's on a basic level kinda like what he did is complied for every student, in every graduating highschool class, It's called a "Blue Book" And the students make them for poking fun at their fellow class mates.

Now unlike a Blue Book, these girls didn't consent to being in this list and the contents are a bit more insulting than what would normally be put in a blue book, but arresting him? Fucking really?
Consent is the key word...without it it's just slander and you can/hopefully will be sued for it,
Saying your opinion about someone is not slander.

RivFader86 said:
posting this online is no different from spreading rumors like this in real life.
And he probably was arrested for his protection, there are a LOT of pissed of parents/boy friends/brothers/cousins/uncles and girls out there, so that's why they took him into custody not because he is dangerous or a flight risk.

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone being arrested for their protection I doubt that it ever actually happens.
It is slander "a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report" it's not like he "just" rated their looks he made assumptions about their sex life and even gave them offensive nicknames....plus you can't just go "in my opinion" and say whatever you like.
Offensive nicknames are not slander. Slander is kinda hard to prosecute. If he gave everyone exaggerated nicknames then it'd be hard to get slander on him. He could always claim "I thought she was a bisexual"
Yeah.... that's still Slander

funkzillabot

Dec 10, 2009
Father Time said:
RivFader86 said:
Father Time said:
RivFader86 said:
bringer of illumination said:
Really? He was arrested for THAT?

I don't know how things work in America, but here in Denmark a list that's on a basic level kinda like what he did is complied for every student, in every graduating highschool class, It's called a "Blue Book" And the students make them for poking fun at their fellow class mates.

Now unlike a Blue Book, these girls didn't consent to being in this list and the contents are a bit more insulting than what would normally be put in a blue book, but arresting him? Fucking really?
Consent is the key word...without it it's just slander and you can/hopefully will be sued for it,
Saying your opinion about someone is not slander.

RivFader86 said:
posting this online is no different from spreading rumors like this in real life.
And he probably was arrested for his protection, there are a LOT of pissed of parents/boy friends/brothers/cousins/uncles and girls out there, so that's why they took him into custody not because he is dangerous or a flight risk.
This is the first time I've ever heard of someone being arrested for their protection I doubt that it ever actually happens.
It is slander "a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report" it's not like he "just" rated their looks he made assumptions about their sex life and even gave them offensive nicknames....plus you can't just go "in my opinion" and say whatever you like.
Offensive nicknames are not slander. Slander is kinda hard to prosecute. If he gave everyone exaggerated nicknames then it'd be hard to get slander on him. He could always claim "I thought she was a bisexual"
Yeah.... that's still Slander

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
zeldagirl said:
PhiMed said:
I love how irrational women state that "slut = a woman who enjoys sex", and "men who fuck whatever moves are invariably praised".

Neither of these statements are true.

High school society is not life. If you convince yourself that it is, you'll be a very sad individual later on. If you're called a slut once you're out of high school, who gives a shit? You can choose to never see that person again if that's what you want.

Being called a slut in high school is still not oppression, though. It's just another name people use to cut people down. There are loads of names people use that are related to things a person cannot help. I'm not going to spend too much time getting upset about a name that is actually related to a person's behavior. If a woman is labelled a slut in high school, it doesn't mean she "enjoys sex". It means she either had sex with more men than was deemed appropriate by the group, or she had sex with someone with a big mouth. That sucks that these actions resulted in ridicule, but perhaps that girl should be a little more selective about who she lets in her pants. Plenty of women "enjoy sex" with a limited number of discrete partners. Suggesting that the only way a woman can enjoy sex is by having sex with numerous loud-mouthed partners strikes me as a little icky, not to mention stupid.

Trust me, guys who attempt to nail anything that moves are only (if ever) praised in their teens. After that, it's perceived as gross, a sign of a lack of self-control, similar to getting blackout drunk at every single party one attends. Additionally, guys have other things which reduce their societal standing. Guys are constantly berated about things that women don't have to worry about, such as backing down from a fight, being physically weak, and getting yelled at by a woman in public. These things aren't signs of shame for women. In fact, they often illicit sympathy from their friends. For men, though, these are sources of fodder for ridicule. That's a double standard, too, but you don't see people carrying a flag for that.
I love the use of 'irrational women' in the first sentence - excellently done, bolstering your argument by trying to belittle an identity, or the idea that women could be upset and being treated in such a manner. Truly, well done.

High school is part of real life - it's a precursor to the real world. As someone who is a graduate student who works as a student advisor for a living, I see behaviors in college students that reflect those in high school. Not only reflect, but magnify the problem - you can try to say this stuff doesn't exist out of high school - I can tell you outright, that's blatantly wrong. It's not only manifested in a college setting too, but in the professional work sphere as well. High school is essentially a microcosm, a small representation of the larger world. Maybe I won't see those high schoolers who called me a slut any more, but you had better believe that if they grow up through high school thinking that behavior is okay, they won't have any responsibility to stop when they advance to college and beyond. Never mind the fact that as a professional, I see these behaviors, including the use of the word slut, in a professional setting far too often - it's not just a 'high school problem'.

There are so many things that rub me the wrong way about this post, I don't even know where to begin. Because I'm short on time, I'm going to pick out this statement:

"It means she either had sex with more men than was deemed appropriate by the group, or she had sex with someone with a big mouth. That sucks that these actions resulted in ridicule, but perhaps that girl should be a little more selective about who she lets in her pants."

Do you not see the inherent unfairness in this statement? It's is the woman's fault. SHE should be more selective, SHE should know better. Men do not get comments like this. You say boys are only glorified for this behavior "only in their teens" but believe me, I have seen experiences to the contrary. It's glorified in media and in our society. It's rampant at the college level (both undergrad and grad, so you're talking an age range of 18-26).

Let's run with your high school example. A girl has sex, once, with a guy. That guy tells a whole group of people. The likelihood that she will be insulted, and he will not, is what I mean by 'oppression.' The institutional mores of our society put her down for engaging in what is at its core an *equal* behavior with him. That is wrong, and, despite others ideas to the contrary, oppressive. She is being made less for engaging in the same behavior as her male counterpart. She is the only one being insulted and having her identity be made less for it.

And I don't like double standards, period. They shouldn't exist. And no where in my post did I imply they should. I think the machoism and bro mentality that exists is wrong, and I think it's unfair that men are expected to be hypermasculine.

BUT let's look at that problem. The hypermasculine problem, the problem where men are expected to not back down, being physically weak, and my favorite example, being yelled at by a woman. What's at the core of all this? Why do men have a problem with these things? Because they are being made less masculine. And what is less masculine? The feminine. You even used it in your example - men being ridiculed for being yelled at by a woman. Essentially, what's being implied is that men should not be yelled at by a woman - that they should be *greater* than a woman.

This is just another perpetuation of an oppressive attitude towards women. It causes men shame to be less-than a woman. Therefore, to be yelled at a woman is to be weak. And weakness is not supposed to be associated with men, it's supposed to be associated with women. Do you not see how that philosophy is oppressive - how it's inherent in our society as well?

I'm sorry, I realize this post is a little long winded, and I'm afraid I've not been as clear as I can be (I'm on a combination of pain-killers plus downright mad at what I'm reading in this topic). I'll clarify further for you if you wish, though perhaps it might be best to PM me for that. I guess my main point for this part of my response is, yes double standards exist, but unfortunately they exist because of sexism and a fear of femininity.
I don't buy it. You say that the entire system is designed out of a hatred for or fear of femininity, but there are stigmas against women who are perceived to be too masculine, as well. How does this fit into your model?

Yes, the woman is often judged for making a poor sexual decision while in high school. Men are, sometimes, as well. For the sake of brevity I'll admit that at the age we're discussing it is the exception rather than the rule. Until men are able to carry children, this will probably continue to be the case.

In primate social structures, the male is, generally speaking, the one who does all the posturing, and the female makes the selection. This is why most primates have a polygamous structure where a few males have sex with many females. This is the evolutionary stuff from which we have sprung. Our brains have been hard wired by tens of thousands of years of evolution to view a male who has sex as being successful in being selected, and viewing a female who has sex as having made her choice. Women who sleep with idiots or sleep with multiple guys not only come off as a bit indecisive, but as failing to understand or properly utilize the power they wield. Women have the sexual power in society, not men.

That's right. I said women wield the sexual power in Western society. Think I'm being silly? When people say, "sex sells", to which gender's form are they usually referring? If you think of a woman's sexuality as a night club, which club is more prestigious, the club that lets everyone in without a cover, or the one with an exclusive guest list? Following this analogy, who is perceived as cooler, the club goer who is denied admission to even moderately exclusive clubs, or the one who comes and goes as they please? Even then, though, that person's "coolness" is defined by someone else's choice. That someone else being the owner of the "club".

Women are able not only to define their own social status through their actions, but the status of men. That's power. Feminism seeks to destroy that power, and I think that's irrational.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I think it's more the fact that he made this list publicly available - humiliating and objectifying many of the girls on the list. Yeah, we all do stuff like this between friends but this is probably going a bit far. Then again, getting the police involved is probably also going a bit far.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Father Time said:
RivFader86 said:
Sorry to just jump in.

He could totally claim that, but there is a fair chance that just wouldn't fly. Without the actual list I can't really say whether or not he's boned on this one, but it has a lot to do with how he presented the names. If he did it in a definite fashion then he's probably in hot water.

And even if this fails on a criminal level, if the parents decide to take him up under tort law and pursue civil cases, he will be in serious trouble. No matter how you present this kinda stuff, the instant he began to assign nicknames and ratings to the girls without consent, he went straight into defamation to character and damage to reputation zone. And the only absolute defence to that is truth, so unless the lad can prove the girl was bisexual and that he knew it at the time of writing, he is doomed.

JoeThree

May 8, 2010
AnteGravity said:
This pretty much demonstrates why Feminism is still strongly needed in Western society. Treating young girls like grades of meat and rating them on their sexual characteristics like it was the only thing they would ever be worth is so grotesquely abhorrent.

It definitely warrants legal action. This idiot caused a great deal of grievous mental and emotional anguish on so many of these girls publicly. That kind of behavior can not be condoned by any authority that hopes to remain credible.
Zer0Saber said:
Going to juvi for calling people names on facebook, when did peoples spines dissolve.
Seriously, this is just stupid. High schoolers will be high schoolers, in a few months most of those girls will look back on this list and laugh, and in years, probably remember it fondly through rose-colored glasses. This kid, however, is going to have his life fucked for something that seems fresh out of an American Pie sequel.

Anyone who thinks this is anything serious needs to get out of their parent's basement and go talk to a real life girl who isn't some raging fem, they'll tell you it's dumb and roll their eyes. Actually, I'm curious what the ladies in this thread think, and where you tend to fall on other issues of gender equality, if you think he should be severely punished. How many people calling for his beheading also spell "women" with a "Y"? Or is that sexist to only ask the women? =X

One last thing, anyone who doesn't think that girls do this shit all the time is a retard. And, how many of you were morally outraged by that South Park episode where the school's girl made a list like this of the boys? I mean, clearly, that's like making light of the holocaust.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
Legion said:
zeldagirl said:
I'm sorry, but your entire post is made up of a lot of relationship myths. Some girls like assholes, others (I would say almost all that I know) don't. Some guys like women who don't "sleep around." Guess what - others DO! Some men don't have this archaic notion that women have to be pure, untouched virgins in order to want to date them/fall in love with them/marry them/etc. These concepts are not the only precursors to attraction, and they aren't necessarily make-or-break qualities, either.
I never said girls like assholes, I put that in quotes to show that it is what people say. Girls normally like guys with confidence, assholes usually show a lot of confidence, therefore people assume that when the girl likes the confident asshole, they like the asshole part of him rather than the confidence part.

Guys don't like women who sleep around, as it is entirely illogical, both from a rational perspective and an evolutionary one. Guys may like women with sexual experience, but that is not the same thing at all. If a guy is attracted to a woman who sleeps around, it is because they think she will put out, not because they actually like her as a person. She is seen as an easy lay.

No, a lot of guys don't have this notion that they have to be "pure", and I am not suggesting that a girl must be so in order to be attractive. Somebody who doesn't care who they sleep with on the other hand is seen to lack standards and self respect. Obviously this isn't necessarily the case, they may just like casual sex, but that doesn't bode well for someone who is looking for a committed relationship because they will assume that the person isn't likely to be faithful. Again, this isn't necessarily true, but it isn't far-fetched.
In that case I apologize, but it looked like YOU were saying "girls like assholes."

I guess my main point in my previous post is that it seems you rely on a lot of generalizations, when human experience has shown that attraction and long lasting relationships function on a wide spectrum that do not always conform to those generalization or perceptions. Like you said about not "necessarily being true, but isn't far-fetched," I say, I think that's incorrect - it's a little more far-fetched than you would imagine. A lot of what you say seems to be perpetuated by the media, but, again, there is a whole spectrum of attraction of wanting to be in a relationship with someone, and the sexual aspect is just one facet of that.

Sinshz

Feb 17, 2010
I'm sorry but what are we talking about here...
His hormones were acting up so he decided to find himself a legitimate reason to stare at those girls. (Yes a stupid reason to stare but heck hormones do funny stuff)
He also then listed every rumor he could find about those girls. (So the rumors were already out there... he just summed them up)
And as a final thing he made up nicknames, 50 nicknames... quite imaginary.
If someones daughter is on that list she was on that list because the whole school had rumors about that specific girl.

Childish? Yes.
Should have done it? No.
Police involvement? Go waste tax money elsewhere

I rest my case, this isn't weird behaviour, We all do it!! he just made it public.

I won't respond to any comments on this post, my 2 cents, I do not condone his actions but this is police behaviour gone to far.