Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

hedges1001

Mar 17, 2010
AnteGravity said:
This pretty much demonstrates why Feminism is still strongly needed in Western society. Treating young girls like grades of meat and rating them on their sexual characteristics like it was the only thing they would ever be worth is so grotesquely abhorrent.

It definitely warrants legal action. This idiot caused a great deal of grievous mental and emotional anguish on so many of these girls publicly. That kind of behavior can not be condoned by any authority that hopes to remain credible.
and your implying females dont do it? i dunno thats pretty naive

ViaGalactica

Mar 18, 2011
ZiggyE said:
Do you know anything about the English language? It's called slang. Definitions of words like '*****' and 'bastard' have been altered to include their slang meanings as, nowadays, they are used more often in that way.
So then do tell me, in which ways is the word slut used if not to condemn promiscuos behavior?

All you're doing is reinforcing my point. Yes, the way he went about it wasn't very nice. But if you strip away all that, all he was doing was making a list. If you add all that, then it becomes adolescent douchebaggery. Stealing is a crime, murder is a crime, rape is a crime. Making a list isn't.
I never said it was a crime. I never said he deserved to be arrested. What I've been arguing all along is not whether or not he should be arrested. (As stated previously, I am not American I do not know your laws well enough to know if he should or shouldn't have to face criminal charges.

But that's the thing, he didn't just write a list. If it would have just been a list no one would give a shit. He wrote a vile, objectifying and downright offensive list of these girls where he made derogatory remarks based on their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and sexuality. This is what I have issues with. This is why people are mad. Because what he did was vile and disgusting and yet people still defend his actions.

You can argue about whether or not he deserves prison time. But to excuse this guy, that's a whole different thing. And it's the excusing, the dismissal, what I do not approve of. It's more than just a list. It's more than just teenagers having fun. It's calculated and meant to be hurtful and dehumanizing. And it can lead to this girls getting harrassed by their peers. (Because slut-shaming tends to do that.)

It would be if they went around showing people, which a large number do. Honestly, I can't help but feel you're the sexist one here. Jumping on guys when they do this, accusing them of being sexist when, in reality, what he did wasn't THAT bad.

Sexism is when you consider the other gender inferior. Nothing he has done indicates this. Sure, he isn't showing much compassion for these girls but that doesn't make him sexist. I, myself, enjoy the occasional sexist joke? Why? Because I have a sense of humour. Not because I'm a sexist. There's nothing to suggest this boy wasn't just playing a joke and didn't consider the repercussions nor the douchebaggery of his actions. I'm sure if he did he wouldn't have gone around showing it to people.
But it wouldn't be. Even if you showed that list to half the world. Ranking people as pretty is rude, yes, but it's not meant to be negative. This was clearly done to be negative. Intent is a wonderful thing, man. If you make an innocent list of those you find cutest, it'll all be cool. When you make a vile list detailing people's sexual endeavors and using derogatory terms and nicknames for those people, that's when it takes a step into the 'fucked up shit' department.

Are you really using the "I believe you are sexism" argument? First, there's nothing inherently sexist with what I said. I'm not saying all men are vile, immoral pigs that deserve to be harrassed. I am not even talking about men in general.

I am talking about this ONE boy who did something absolutely terrible. And I'm calling out the prevalent sexism that makes shit like this seem like not THAT big a deal.

This is not the kind of shit that's meant to be a joke. I mean, c'mon, he went so far as to print and distribute it. The list is filled with insults. Hell, this kid was even caught saying that:"Women are the future, unless we stop them now." That's not a joke. To quote myself from earlier in the thread: "At best he is an ignorant and sexist idiot who did not understand exactly how he would hurt these girls. At worst he is the worst kind of misoginist who did it with the intention of hurting and shaming these women."

Super Happy Cow

Feb 5, 2009
Puzzlenaut said:
I fucking hate people.

Seriously, how fucked over is that kid, and for what? What amounts to nothing more than fucking name-calling, and not even truly, truly offensive name-calling -- just regular lad-ish bullying, is being punished with a potential jail sentence?
He's a fucking kid. He deserves nothing more than a stern talking to.

Seriously, I am so fucking pissed right now.
Finally, someone god damned sane.

It's displeasing that he objectifies people, but what kind of padded world do you live in to believe someone should go to jail for calling women attractive in an exceptionally tasteless way?

This kind of shit, and the people that encourage this over protectiveness, infuriates me.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
ViaGalactica said:
So then do tell me, in which ways is the word slut used if not to condemn promiscuos behavior?
As a generic insult? The term "slut" is used more often day to day where I live as a way to insult someone, not to say "You have sex with many people"

But that's the thing, he didn't just write a list. If it would have just been a list no one would give a shit. He wrote a vile, objectifying and downright offensive list of these girls where he made derogatory remarks based on their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and sexuality.
No one is denying this. We're just disagreeing on the required punishment. No one is 'excusing' him. A public apology? Suspension? All fine punishments. Expulsion? No. Being arrested? Definitely not.

But it wouldn't be. Even if you showed that list to half the world. Ranking people as pretty is rude, yes, but it's not meant to be negative. This was clearly done to be negative. Intent is a wonderful thing, man. If you make an innocent list of those you find cutest, it'll all be cool. When you make a vile list detailing people's sexual endeavors and using derogatory terms and nicknames for those people, that's when it takes a step into the 'fucked up shit' department.

Are you really using the "I believe you are sexism" argument? First, there's nothing inherently sexist with what I said. I'm not saying all men are vile, immoral pigs that deserve to be harrassed. I am not even talking about men in general.
That certainly seems to be the situation. Take, for example, this situation.

Super Happy Cow said:
A woman at Duke Univsity made a list of all of her sexual encounters with about a dozen men, going into explicit detail and ranking them based on sexual appearance, penile size, strength, stamina, and so on. What happened to her? Nothing, but shame. That was a university[/i] student, mind you.

You've never even brought up the possibility of a woman doing it. Is it still as diminishing and abhorrent? Society certainly doesn't think so. The fact that a woman can get away with it and a teenage boy can't is perfect evidence of the sexist society we live in.

"Women are the future, unless we stop them now." That's not a joke.
Yes it is.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
Insulting people is never criminal and his local police department full well knows this and should have known better.

The victims could sue for civil penalties, sure... but :

The father of one of the girls who appeared on the list said he was pleased that the kid was arrested but expressed concern that a disorderly conduct charge was inadequate for a "very serious offense that affected many people."

What in the hell, man? "He said something bad about my daughter and I think the police are my private army."

ViaGalactica

Mar 18, 2011
ZiggyE said:
As a generic insult? The term "slut" is used more often day to day where I live as a way to insult someone, not to say "You have sex with many people"
OIC. Well, I've never seen that. I have seen it, however, tossed at women because they were just being rude/distant/there with the intention of implying that they had lots of sex.

No one is denying this. We're just disagreeing on the required punishment. No one is 'excusing' him. A public apology? Suspension? All fine punishments. Expulsion? No. Being arrested? Definitely not.
But I wasn't arguing about potential punishment. I'm doing so about the dismissal this is getting. (C'mon, I said this already.) It's not cool that they just shove it aside as 'boy's stuff.' It's hurtful, it's mean, it's intentionally offensive. It shouldn't be play off as just a thing teenagers do because shit like that has consequences that go beyond hurting the girls' feelings. That's all I'm sayin' yo.

That certainly seems to be the situation. Take, for example, this situation.

Super Happy Cow said:
A woman at Duke Univsity made a list of all of her sexual encounters with about a dozen men, going into explicit detail and ranking them based on sexual appearance, penile size, strength, stamina, and so on. What happened to her? Nothing, but shame. That was a university student, mind you.
You've never even brought up the possibility of a woman doing it. Is it still as diminishing and abhorrent? Society certainly doesn't think so. The fact that a woman can get away with it and a teenage boy can't is perfect evidence of the sexist society we live in.
Wait, so I have to bring in hypotheticals in order to not be sexist? Seriously?

What she did was tacky, of fucking course. Not to mention that it was a complete violation of their privacy. But how is this relevant? She made a list to share with her closest friends, not to spread it around the school. The thing was leaked by someone other than her. And while she does go on about their performance and what not, she never actually means it in a negative way.Hell, most of it is just detailing their hook-ups. Does it make it right? No way. Does it make it as bad as this? Nope. Nowhere near as bad. Her intent and his intent were different.

And before you call the ~*~Sexism~*~ card on me again let me say that I would not be making a fuss if the guy had done something like the Duke girl. A private list that, though detailed, was not derogatory in any way which ended up being leaked by some other asshole. Big difference.

Oh and I'm sure it was a joke. Yupp. Harmless joke. Nothing more.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
Ok so yes the list was chavanistic and imature. Yes the kid deserves several kicks in the crotch (not by a law enforcment officer because THAT is another story) Yes I'm sure he offended many if not all the girls in the school that he put on the list. But to arrest him? really? That's like arresting someone for hitting on you too much. The cops should have better things to do, and even if they don't I don't see the law broken here.
Now the quote is very blurred in my memory so this may be wrong, so forgive me if I misquote; but "I may not agree with most of what people say but I will be damned if they don't have the write to say it"

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
I realize what he did n' all, but... In the end, all he ended up doing was offending the girls from his school. So, let me get this straight, it's illegal to offend people from your own school? That's new.

He deserves a slap or two, not go to jail.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
So he wrote a list with girls names and asked other people to rank them based on how hot they are? That's the exact same shit I did in High School except I din't write it on paper. Seriously, if you get arrested for this then what the fuck has the world come to?

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
ViaGalactica said:
I'm doing so about the dismissal this is getting. (C'mon, I said this already.)
I've done things I'm not proud of. Maybe I'm empathetic. But this isn't getting an 'instant dismissal'. Most people here are more worried about the over exaggeration that was the punishment.

Wait, so I have to bring in hypotheticals in order to not be sexist? Seriously?
They would certainly provide balance to your rants about how the boy was being a sexist, offensive, male.

But how is this relevant?
One person getting off a 'crime' while another gets arrested, the difference being gender? Especially when the thread is about punishment then you bring in sexism? I'd say it's highly relevant.

She made a list to share with her closest friends, not to spread it around the school. The thing was leaked by someone other than her. And while she does go on about their performance and what not, she never actually means it in a negative way.Hell, most of it is just detailing their hook-ups. Does it make it right? No way. Does it make it as bad as this? Nope. Nowhere near as bad. Her intent and his intent were different.
We don't know the contents of that list. It could have been just as offensive, in fact, discussing the penile length of men in comparison is just as offensive to a guy as coming up with nasty nicknames. For all we know, the guy could have been giving this list to his friends and then it got spread around. The point being, in both situations, both people made similar lists and both spread them around. Their are two major differences I can see, and that is the one who got off was both a woman and an adult.

A private list that, though detailed, was not derogatory
It's only private if it isn't shared around. And, from the sounds of it, it was derogatory.

Oh and I'm sure it was a joke. Yupp. Harmless joke. Nothing more.
The fact that you're completely unwilling to except the possibility that it was a joke is what inclines me to believe you are sexist.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
That is kind of sad and kind of funny. It is sad that he actually went and passed out this private info so free and probably ruining a few people in the process but funny that, if it was all true, that he could name 50 girls; each with an alleged name and sexual act. But getting police involved for punishment because he told the school about some girls and what they choose to do? That's a bit far. Sure, slap him on the wrists and make him understand what he did was wrong but seriously, what justifies punishment for telling secrets openly to the whole internet? No sense at all to me.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Kukulski said:
I don't know how the US law works, but what crime exactly did he commit? I agree that it can be regarded as slander, but this offence is under the jurisdiction of the civil court when a victim sues the offender in my coutry. Arresting him makes no fucking sense to me.
As far as I understand it, this should be a civil matter. I've never even heard of going to jail for making a list of people and calling them names. Is he a dick? Yes. Do I feel he actually did anything worth more than suspension and possible expulsion? No...

I'm with Andy here, what is there to investigate?

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
w8 w8 w8. he got arrested, for making a detailed list of which girls were hot or not? This is something we did at my school, EVERY YEAR! sometimes more than that. we even posted the list on the wall in the freaking classroom. The worst thing that happened to us was we had to remove a few Norwegian swear words. Mostly people giggled and laughed at it. It was an honor to be at the top and the ones that got to the bottom were so ridiculously overdone that even they had to laugh. (As in them being Frankensteins twin sister or something like that)

The kid deserves a slap, not to be arrested. He was being an ass, us teens do that.

-V

ViaGalactica

Mar 18, 2011
ZiggyE said:
I've done things I'm not proud of. Maybe I'm empathetic. But this isn't getting an 'instant dismissal'. Most people here are more worried about the over exaggeration that was the punishment.
And I've been harrassed by men for similar reasons these girls will be harrassed and their treatment of me was received with the same dismissal of 'boys will be boys'. But it is being dismissed - it's a thing boy's dude, it's no big deal, right? That's dismissal.

They would certainly provide balance to your rants about how the boy was being a sexist, offensive, male.
No, hypotheticals serve only to derail conversations. What matters is not what could have been, would have been or should have been. What matters is what happened. That's it.

One person getting off a 'crime' while another gets arrested, the difference being gender? Especially when the thread is about punishment then you bring in sexism? I'd say it's highly relevant.
Except the difference isn't gender. It's intent. She still got called out on her bullshit, of course. But keep in mind they were not minors, and she didn't really distribute it. Hell, she even apologized.

We don't know the contents of that list. It could have been just as offensive, in fact, discussing the penile length of men in comparison is just as offensive to a guy as coming up with nasty nicknames. For all we know, the guy could have been giving this list to his friends and then it got spread around. The point being, in both situations, both people made similar lists and both spread them around. Their are two major differences I can see, and that is the one who got off was both a woman and an adult.
Except we...do? I mean, the list was leaked to the internet. I've read all the crap she wrote. It was basically her detailing their hook-ups. And come on, saying someone has a small penis is rude, yes, but it does not compare to using racist, homophobic and sexist remarks. Is it wrong? Yes. Is it just as bad? No. It isn't. It's like comparing the struggle gay people endure to me getting teased because I have small breasts. Shit does not compare.

And dude, did you not read the article? He was caught handing out the copies. He made multiple copies and decided to hand them around. She made a presentation to show it to her two closest friends that was leaked, without her knowing, in the internet.

It's only private if it isn't shared around. And, from the sounds of it, it was derogatory.
Dude, believe me. Her list is nowhere near as derogatory as this shit. (And I would say the same if the Duke person had been a man.)

The fact that you're completely unwilling to except the possibility that it was a joke is what inclines me to believe you are sexist.
Oh, wow. Yes, dude. You are totally right! I refuse to pass off an obviously misoginist thing to say as a joke! It must mean I am sexist!

Hell! I am so sexist you should just already fucking crown me the Queen of Misandry!

Look, when you deal with shit like that every day the line between 'joke' and 'ignorant, backwards, sexist bullshit' gets very blurry in that there usually isn't any. Anyone who makes such a list, with such content, and then goes around saying such things does not seem like the kind of person who is just making a joke. But, I guess, I'm such a terrible person! He's just a poor, poor victim that is ~*~misunderstood~*~ by us crazy women-folk. Poor, poor thing.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
ViaGalactica" post="7.283316.11136770 said:
And I've been harrassed by men for similar reasons these girls will be harrassed and their treatment of me was received with the same dismissal of 'boys will be bo

Yeah let me stop ya there Via Galactica, woman can be equally sexist, racist and their issues can be dismissed with 'its a girl thing' SO SHUT THE FUCK UP!! Hell, most chicks at my school made me get literally border line of dying at my own hands. As far as everything goes, this kid deserves a stern talking too, your not sexist from what I could tell, but saying that 'Boys will be Boys' line pisses ME RIGHT THE FUCK OFF! WHO THE Hel...[rants later, edited for your convince] MONKEY FUCKING SOCIETY! Look, your a good or alright or better person, but this kid doesn't deserver ANY of this, because constantly bullies knowingly force kids to be gay, even if straight. Force kids to take own life, but literally small name calling is worse then murder in a sense?