Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
PhiMed said:
Hive Mind said:
O maestre said:
i see no crime here... what the hell happened to freedom of speach the internet has so much more bile than this hormonal teenagers insignificant list. ridiculous...
The student printed th list out and handed it out to everyone in the school, before then parading around shouting sexist remarks. He committed slander. A crime.

Read the article, not just the header.
A) sexism =/= slander

B) You really think he deserves to go to adult prison? What the fuck is wrong with you?

C) If you'd taken your own advice and read the entire article, you'd see that it's pretty clearly satire. He called a meeting and announced "women are the future, unless we stop them now." Satire is protected as free speech.

He's 16. Prison time for this at any age is absurd, but at 16? Seriously? Seriously?!?
A) I didn't say sexism was slander; I said he was being sexist - the slander was a separate act. Please read my posts properly.

B) Do you often swear and insult in place of a valid argument? Does it always make you look as foolish as it did there?

C) Satire is used to make a point. Satire =/= being a sexist dick.

Three strikes and you're out.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
What...... law was broken here?? (honest question) I mean, don't mens mag's do this each and every year?

I can see, maybe detention for causing a rucks in the lunchroom.. but arrested...?

LOL, whatever... that's about all i have to say...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
He's arrested over a "disorderly conduct" charge?
I feel like the cops are taking this exceptionally further than it really needed to go.

IMO the culmination of this crime is that this guy is a dick and he hurt some people's feelings. If this is a crime, 95% of the people in high school who participate in the OMG! LIKE, DRAMA!!!! of every day life should also suffer the same charges.

Are parents so asinine and out of touch with the reality of their children now-a-days that they feel something like this list is a hot new development? Gossip, slander, ridicule and intense judement of your peers has been a part of public education for an incredibly long time now.

Simmo8591

May 20, 2009
Mean, degrading of the girls involved and very stupid to do. However this isn't actually a police matter. Expulsion and maybe some community service is in order. not wasting public resources on what isn't actually a crime

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
zeldagirl said:
Legion said:
Which reminds me of something, girls call other girls sluts too, which is very strange. Then again, girls always seem nastier to other girls than guys are.
Internalized misogyny. Women are taught that slut is an insult, and they call each other that. I hate that, and don't think it makes it right.

And while girls are nasty to other girls, I wouldn't say 'nastier'. People in general are nasty. Just look at this thread.
It doesn't make it right, no, but right or wrong sadly doesn't count for much.

I guess it depends on what is meant by "nasty", I have noticed that in school, college and the work place, the girls/women I have been around have been extremely bitchy about one another, this is including grown women, and I have never seen guys act like that towards each other or girls. If guys dislike someone they usually either bring it out into the open and drop it once it's there, or just ignore the person they dislike.

This guy in the article is just a tool, I don't know what he was thinking, although the last part suggests he wasn't being entirely serious (at least I hope not). Although even if he wasn't what he did was still completely out of order, I'd say a warning and a decent amount of community service would suffice.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
ViaGalactica said:
...And I am saying they can't? Where did I say that we are angels who never do anything wrong? Oh, that's right, every time someone calls a man a sexist idiot every other man takes it as a fucking offense that means ALL men are idiots! Chill the fuck out, dude.
sorry I flew off the handles last time, I really didn't mean to. But the words will do one of two things, A. They will grow from it positivity and live on. or B. They will be weep over it for a few weeks and then grow.
Look, I didn't mean to sound like a dick last time [and I really did sound like a dick.] and you never did say you woman were perfect or even hinted at it, but I got a gist of it, not the complete picture. Not all men are idiots, just cool it down a little. Again, its in a lot of peoples minds to assume on anything. It doesn't make it sexist unless we hate the other gender more then the average person. I'm not sexist, and if you are, great. If you aren't, also great.
And on the whole sorrow thing, I felt almost = sorrow if you ask me, its a different type of torture what I went through, and I do feel bad for those girls, but they will heal from it and probably forget or look back on it and laugh at it. They might even better from this in a positive way. I feel the guy in this is being treated way unfairly because he will probably be convicted, go to juvie for X time, and be molded into a criminal. Again, the girls will heal, what won't help is making a big deal over it. The guy doesn't need a court date, to be kicked out of school and to certainly go to juvie. With the stuff he did, a great talking too, being made to apologize AND find a way to make it up to those 50 people would be a reasonable punishment. I'm thinking some Man in your life fucked you up bad too, and I can respect your feelings on the matter, but not all of us are bad people. Sorry that was so long.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
AC10 said:
He's arrested over a "disorderly conduct" charge?
I feel like the cops are taking this exceptionally further than it really needed to go.
its probably because one of the girls is the daughter of a cop, those guys are assholes on a normal day but if you fuck with their kid who knows what they'd do, probably this

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
zeldagirl said:
Not only did I not mention slavery any where in my post, slavery is NOT THE ONLY FORM OF OPPRESSION.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppression

"The term oppression in such instances to refer to the subordination of a given group or social category by unjust use of force, authority, or societal norms in order to achieve the effects noted above. When institutionalized, formally or informally, it may achieve the dimension of systematic oppression.

In psychology, racism, sexism and other prejudices are often studied as individual beliefs which, although not necessarily oppressive in themselves, can lead to oppression if they are codified in law or become parts of a culture."

The fact that women are shamed for enjoying sex, or called sluts, where men are not, is an oppressive behavior that is perpetuated by society.

And I'm not even going to touch the fact that you think gay individuals trying to champion for rights they are being legally denied is not a form of oppression. Your ignorance is truly astounding.
I'm not ignorant. I enjoy the idea of universal equality. I was only trying to help with the argumentation side, because insulting people is not the way you go about changing policy.

Slut isn't oppressive because it's not a term that's upheld by males in society. It's endemic to female relations. If all guys stopped calling girls sluts, then girls would still be called sluts. I think it's great when a girl owns her own sexuality, but the problem with feminism is that they aim for the top without support from a large percentage of the gender.

Gay rights. This isn't on topic, but I won't allow you to make me out to be an ignorant homophobe. My statement clearly said that some people don't respond well to when gay struggles (while legitimate) are compared to people who were regularly lynched 50 or so years ago.

Oppression has both connotation and denotation. You provided the denotation, but the connotation (imagery) that pops up is of slavery, fascism, genocide... Still, it's not oppression for the above reason.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
zeldagirl said:
subtlefuge said:
zeldagirl said:
Dr Snakeman said:
ViaGalactica said:
Epic, butthurt snip
I'm sorry, but the word "slut" is not "oppressive". It's an unkind, gender-specific derogatory term for a promiscuous woman. It's wrong to talk that way about someone, but it is not the kind of hate speech that you seem to be suggesting.

"Slut" is not "oppressive"? Really now? It's used to shame women from being proud of their sexuality. You as a man do not have any right to tell women what they can or cannot determine is oppressive - you are not the one being oppressed!
Comparisons to slavery provide strong rhetoric, but they also reduce the credibility of your argument. It's also a serious issue with the gay rights movement.

Not only did I not mention slavery any where in my post, slavery is NOT THE ONLY FORM OF OPPRESSION.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppression

"The term oppression in such instances to refer to the subordination of a given group or social category by unjust use of force, authority, or societal norms in order to achieve the effects noted above. When institutionalized, formally or informally, it may achieve the dimension of systematic oppression.

In psychology, racism, sexism and other prejudices are often studied as individual beliefs which, although not necessarily oppressive in themselves, can lead to oppression if they are codified in law or become parts of a culture."

The fact that women are shamed for enjoying sex, or called sluts, where men are not, is an oppressive behavior that is perpetuated by society.
I love how irrational women state that "slut = a woman who enjoys sex", and "men who fuck whatever moves are invariably praised".

Neither of these statements are true.

High school society is not life. If you convince yourself that it is, you'll be a very sad individual later on. If you're called a slut once you're out of high school, who gives a shit? You can choose to never see that person again if that's what you want.

Being called a slut in high school is still not oppression, though. It's just another name people use to cut people down. There are loads of names people use that are related to things a person cannot help. I'm not going to spend too much time getting upset about a name that is actually related to a person's behavior. If a woman is labelled a slut in high school, it doesn't mean she "enjoys sex". It means she either had sex with more men than was deemed appropriate by the group, or she had sex with someone with a big mouth. That sucks that these actions resulted in ridicule, but perhaps that girl should be a little more selective about who she lets in her pants. Plenty of women "enjoy sex" with a limited number of discrete partners. Suggesting that the only way a woman can enjoy sex is by having sex with numerous loud-mouthed partners strikes me as a little icky, not to mention stupid.

Trust me, guys who attempt to nail anything that moves are only (if ever) praised in their teens. After that, it's perceived as gross, a sign of a lack of self-control, similar to getting blackout drunk at every single party one attends. Additionally, guys have other things which reduce their societal standing. Guys are constantly berated about things that women don't have to worry about, such as backing down from a fight, being physically weak, and getting yelled at by a woman in public. These things aren't signs of shame for women. In fact, they often illicit sympathy from their friends. For men, though, these are sources of fodder for ridicule. That's a double standard, too, but you don't see people carrying a flag for that.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
Legion said:
zeldagirl said:
Legion said:
Which reminds me of something, girls call other girls sluts too, which is very strange. Then again, girls always seem nastier to other girls than guys are.
Internalized misogyny. Women are taught that slut is an insult, and they call each other that. I hate that, and don't think it makes it right.

And while girls are nasty to other girls, I wouldn't say 'nastier'. People in general are nasty. Just look at this thread.
It doesn't make it right, no, but right or wrong sadly doesn't count for much.

I guess it depends on what is meant by "nasty", I have noticed that in school, college and the work place, the girls/women I have been around have been extremely bitchy about one another, this is including grown women, and I have never seen guys act like that towards each other or girls. If guys dislike someone they usually either bring it out into the open and drop it once it's there, or just ignore the person they dislike.

This guy in the article is just a tool, I don't know what he was thinking, although the last part suggests he wasn't being entirely serious (at least I hope not). Although even if he wasn't what he did was still completely out of order, I'd say a warning and a decent amount of community service would suffice.

I think nastiness manifests in different ways, based on contexts and even gender. But it still exists in everyone.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Hive Mind said:
PhiMed said:
Hive Mind said:
O maestre said:
i see no crime here... what the hell happened to freedom of speach the internet has so much more bile than this hormonal teenagers insignificant list. ridiculous...
The student printed th list out and handed it out to everyone in the school, before then parading around shouting sexist remarks. He committed slander. A crime.

Read the article, not just the header.
A) sexism =/= slander

B) You really think he deserves to go to adult prison? What the fuck is wrong with you?

C) If you'd taken your own advice and read the entire article, you'd see that it's pretty clearly satire. He called a meeting and announced "women are the future, unless we stop them now." Satire is protected as free speech.

He's 16. Prison time for this at any age is absurd, but at 16? Seriously? Seriously?!?
A) I didn't say sexism was slander; I said he was being sexist - the slander was a separate act. Please read my posts properly.

B) Do you often swear and insult in place of a valid argument? Does it always make you look as foolish as it did there?

C) Satire is used to make a point. Satire =/= being a sexist dick.

Three strikes and you're out.
If they were two separate acts, then your juxtaposition of sentences amounts to a non sequitur. In other words, you're not making any sense.

My argument is valid. It is this: there is something wrong with you if you think that a 16 year-old child deserves to go to adult prison for making a hot or not list. Seek psychological counsel.

It doesn't matter if you think the joke wasn't funny, it was clearly a joke to make a point about the silliness of some of the aspects of feminism. Your lack of sense of humor does not stand as proof that he is guilty of a criminal offense.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
subtlefuge said:
Slut isn't oppressive because it's not a term that's upheld by males in society. It's endemic to female relations. If all guys stopped calling girls sluts, then girls would still be called sluts. I think it's great when a girl owns her own sexuality, but the problem with feminism is that they aim for the top without support from a large percentage of the gender.
What on earth are you talking about? It's not upheld by males in society? Yes it is! It doesn't matter if women still call one another sluts - as I said before, internalized misogyny. That doesn't make it right.

Gay rights. This isn't on topic, but I won't allow you to make me out to be an ignorant homophobe. My statement clearly said that some people don't respond well to when gay struggles (while legitimate) are compared to people who were regularly lynched 50 or so years ago.
And no where in this thread, or in my post, did that happen.

Oppression has both connotation and denotation. You provided the denotation, but the connotation (imagery) that pops up is of slavery, fascism, genocide... Still, it's not oppression for the above reason.
[/quote]

It does have connotation. And having done social justice work in the way I have, it has multiple connotations for me, in such a way that the imagery that pops up is NOT what you mentioned. That does not make the use of the word less valid.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Aliens will soon be beaming down to award this kid the much coveted "Biggest Douche In The Universe Award!"

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
zeldagirl said:
subtlefuge said:
What on earth are you talking about? It's not upheld by males in society? Yes it is!

Sorry but you are wrong. Girls would call other girls sluts even if men didn't. It is psychologically proven that women are more competitive with each other than they are with men, just as men are more competitive with other men than they are with women.

The point I am making with this is that women will call each other sluts because it is a way of putting down (metaphorically) the competition, if a girl has a negative reputation, she is less attractive to other people.

Going into the primitive basics of human sexuality:

Women like strong men. Guys are aggressive physically because they want to be seen as a dominant male. If a guy proves himself stronger than others, they will be more attractive than other guys. It is why it why "girls always like arseholes".

Guys like women who don't sleep around. The less sex a woman has had, the less likely it is she is carrying another mans child, it is basic reproductive behaviour. Women will imply that women they don't like are promiscuous because it makes them seem less attractive to men and therefore reduces the competition.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Hmm, so a guy made a list about all the girls, with quite a few of the "nastier" attributes likely be to be true, so he gets arrested? Oh yeah... I'm in the U.S... where if the truth doesn't go along with the perceived norm, they have to be burnt at the stake.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/fury-at-dna-pioneers-theory-africans-are-less-intelligent-than-westerners-394898.html
I rest my case.

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
Arachon said:
Dear Internet lusers. Please be aware of the fact that everything you put on the Internet is public information, public sites on the Internet is not a suitable place to store files or information that you do not wish anyone to see, or that could get you in trouble.

That is all.

OT: Honestly, the guy got what was coming to him, that this sort of thing happens in the first place is another can of worms, but I can only say that I think it's disgusting.
I think he put it on Facebook because he wanted to make it public...

Temah

Dec 5, 2010
Given that the only person they could reference was one of the girls fathers, i'd say most of them really didn't give a damn, this is totally insane.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
No matter what anyone says you have to admire that he managed to rally students for his humorous marching. Shows he has a good career ahead of him.