Teen Sells Kidney for iPad 2

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Honestly, this makes me quite happy. Its been far too long that we in the US have seen something that weve manufactured that illicits so much fervor that people in other countries are willing to sell vital organs to get one.

A good sign for the US economy I think.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
That's...that's just stupid.

I really have no other words to describe it. I'm a fan of Apple products, and I just can't fathom what was going through the dude's head when he even began to think this was a reasonable idea.

I'm going to be safe and call a common-sense fail on this one.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Hey China, how's your capitalism? Seriously, you're getting the worst of both systems. Communism with the strict control and capitalism with the insane materialism.

hellswarmglow

Mar 12, 2010
With all due respect, is it really China's fault that a teenager decided a piece of technology was worth more than his health (and eventually, his life)? A few years ago, in the U.S., a teen killed his mother over being denied Halo 3. I wonder what the teens are up to in Europe.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
Whaaat? Shut up, no way...

*reads article*
...I call shenanigans. There's no way..... seriously? No. Also, isn't the internet in China all moderated and restricted and whatnot? How would this kid have just found some ad for something like this?

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
It happened in China though. I'd have no problem limiting my life span for a few fleeting moments of happiness if I lived in that horrible country. The kid won't even be able to use half of the Ipad's apps due to Chinese censorship.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
You're all neglecting the fact a life was saved by this.
We don't know if someone's life will be saved by this, we have no proof that the company who bought his kidney will use it to save somebody's life. They could just use it for something else (don't ask me what else because I have no clue).

OT:Why would you sell a kidney for an apple product? I've always seen apple products as being overpriced, shiny, lower tech gadgets.

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
What the fuck...? When I said the iPad costs an arm and a leg, I was joking! I didn't expect someone to ACTUALLY use part of their body to pay for this thing! Holy shit, man!

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Yeah, fuck Apple. Microsoft isn't a big faceless and evil corporation like Apple is... oh wait.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
WaaghPowa said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
And the most pathetic bit of the story is that the iPad 2 <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108536-How-Apple-Carved-a-Pound-of-Flesh-from-the-iPad-2>isn't even that special.

I can't even draw the energy to facepalm...
Isn't an Ipad already massively out of date? I swear there was a comparison between one and a Dell Tablet from 6 years ago where the Ipad lost as far as tech specs went.

Edit:
Ok, I'm a biy late to the party, and I've always pretty much mocked early adopters, especially of Apple stuff, as throwing money at stuff pointlessly, but damn, the ipad doesn't even have stereo?

I can't imagine a $20 taiwanese no brand mp3 player not having stereo, hell, the kind of tat Dr Ashens reviews on youtube is often stereo, despite only going 'beep', yet this titan of technology decided it wasn't important enough to spend an extra 50 cents or so on a stereo sound chip? I'm guessing the iPad 2 has stereo? That's gotta be a big selling point to upgrade :D

As for the kid, he was a bit dumb, but essentially he was taken advantage of by criminals, and it's their fault more than his. I know when I was terribly in debt, I MAY have considered selling a spare kidney if it would have got me out of the terrible hole I'd dug myself, but that's it, that or to save a dear friend or family member, sure as hell not for just a new shiny thing.