Teens Sedate Parents For Net Access

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Girls using roofies, how progressive!
The parents should be glad the kids fixed them a health drink: those were very pro-teen shakes.
I just have to say, that pun was A-grade

OT: yeah, I'm shocked that thy thought for even a second that they would get away with this.

"Hey honey, do you feel horribly hungover after drinking absolutely nothing last night?"

"Yes honey, doesn't this seem incredibly legit?"

captcha: "mars rover"

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
EHKOS said:
...Snippity snips...

It wouldn't be a terrible idea. Parents use a different method, by threatening usually, but I don't think people would throw too much of a fit if childrens "Sleeping Shots" were introduced. Parents also use Ritilan to keep their kids in line.
Greets!

Huh, there does seem to be truth in your comment, I have heard of drugs being used to control the behaviour of children. It seems that my moral standpoint is different from yours however. I personally do not feel that drugs should be overly used in the control of behaviour of anyone, and the risks in recklessly administering drugs to control behaviour can lead to unforeseen concequences.

Tie that together with the lesson to a child that using drugs is okay to get your way is, in my mind, frightening. But, who am I to argue the moral standpoints when people are prepared to use drugs to control others?

Nay, I'm sure the arguement doesn't matter, like the lives of the parents and the children themselves.

But then, if I didn't have my moral standards and was a child who commited something similar to the subject of this discussion, I would think it is entirely ok and just to drug people for what I want. Meh, this can too quickly turn into a strawman arguement, what matters really is what the law thinks.

Note the quote in the article here on the escapist: "If they were adults, they could be facing prison time,"

That is what matters, what was done was illegal, the law will not care about the parents once those kids come of legal age to be taken in. Then those kids will learn about the concequences of their actions, if they have learned that drugging people for their wants is ok. Assuming, of course, that if they try to drug someone again in the future doesn't result in a murder charge.

And, before anyone here makes the foolish statement that perscription sleeping medication cannot kill you, you might need to think that through a little and ask a doctor on what that stuff actually does to your body.

But hey, judging by your comment, EKHOS, you'd be perfectly fine with children drugging you to get what they want, and I support your standpoint, you magnificent bastard. I hope that you don't get killed before you have the chance to regret the concequences of your standpoint.

Peace out.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
There are a lot of people on the faaaaaaaaar left on the Escapist. Comes with the territory, I guess, but there is definitely such a thing as too much freedom.
I'm sorry, but I'll have to call bullshit on this. Leave your political agendas out of this. Just being left-leaning doesn't suddenly make you lose all common sense.

So unless you can prove with certainty that this is a "far left" thing exclusively, I believe an apology to all left-leaning escapists is in order.

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
Vegosiux said:
Kopikatsu said:
There are a lot of people on the faaaaaaaaar left on the Escapist. Comes with the territory, I guess, but there is definitely such a thing as too much freedom.
I'm sorry, but I'll have to call bullshit on this. Leave your political agendas out of this. Just being left-leaning doesn't suddenly make you lose all common sense.

So unless you can prove with certainty that this is a "far left" thing exclusively, I believe an apology to all left-leaning escapists is in order.
There is a difference between being left-leaning and being without common sense.

OT: Just... What the hell were they thinking?
How could you DRUG someone because of a curfew?
This is ridiculous.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Bolwing said:
There is a difference between being left-leaning and being without common sense.
Yeh, that's what I've said. And I hate it when people make it all political like the post I quoted, it's just poor communication...

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
mysecondlife said:
EHKOS said:
mysecondlife said:
Reminds me of my ex-gf whose mother set the internet to turn off at 2AM. Makes me wonder what she did to get around it.

Incoming scary thought.
Boot into the BIOS and change the system clock? That's what I did :p
Funny story I just remembered. Every once in a while, she would try to guess the password to get into the system and disable the timer. Apparently she knew that the password is a name of a random city. She eventually guessed the correct password (ho chi minh city) and disabled the timer.

So now, what's your story?
Well, I got grounded, something about school work, but I'm the rebellous kind of guy so nothing could really stop me. So Vista has this time-lock thing which was locked with an Admin password. Well, that's salted and MD5 hashed so that was a no go, only learned that about a week after running Rainbow Tables and a brute force cracker. So I thought about changing settings in the sub-system, something bigger than the OS. My mom didn't have the know-how to lock the BIOS so I changed the system time from there. Strangely Windows didn't do the auto-correct clock thing it does when connected to the internet so I was free. I made it a point to stay on 'til my mother got home from work just to show her I outsmarted her. She was more impressed than angry, though she made me show her how to lock the BIOS. Now I learn about computer stuff for sport, it's like my version of a Rubix cube :)

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Blablahb said:
Kopikatsu said:
You think that an acceptable response to a curfew (And 10PM is very generous) is to drug the authority figure so you have free reign?
I didn't say that. I did say however that the parent's treatment of the kids caused this to happen.

And if you call the police on your own daughter after something like that, I'd say that evidently, something in those parents' heads isn't wired correctly. It's sure a crisis event in terms of raising kids, but such things do not happen by themselves. It requires years of lousy parenting to lose enough respect for something like that to happen.

Now they're using the police to compensate for their own failure, and if you ask me, the Rocklin police messed up bigtime by actually letting themselves be used for that.
And rather inevitably the White Knighting has reached the zenith of ridiculousness.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
OK first of all, what were they [i/]doing[/i] on the internet? Stupid Facebook updates, online shopping, watching "adult" films? That information is vital to the hilarity/depressing-ness of this story. Second of all: C'mon girls, really? you only had to deal with that for 3 more years.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Baldry said:
Considering the fact the parent called the police instead of being a responsible parent and discipling the children good on the kids. The parent sounds kinda shitty from the way they've acted.
Really? Not in my book. They wanted proof before they punished their children, and the police had the testing kit they needed for that proof. The parents just did not want to punish unfairly. Also, the teens should have spent time in jail.

gravian

Sep 8, 2011
It just sounds like a pretty stupid way for them to get their own back. I mean, if you want to prove you're mature enough to have your curfew extended/removed then giving your parents what is effectively a date-rape drug is probably the worst way. Yes, they are 16 and can (supposedly) understand their actions but with that level of critical thinking their curfew was probably justified, hah.

It does sound strict for 16 year olds so there's most likely a good reason behind it. Perhaps they were falling behind with their studies or exams by going on Facebook or Twitter too much, or staying up too late and not doing well in school the next day. If your kids kept doing that and it was becoming a real problem then I can understand doing something extreme to make them think about the consequences of their actions which they were probably ignoring.

Surely the best way to get around it and make your parents respect your independence more would be to argue it out and make compromises; I do better at my studies and it turn you let me go on the internet later. Demolishing trust instead of building it up for one night of freedom is just petty and childish, and practically shows why the curfew was needed in the first place.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Brutal Peanut said:
[small]Well, I guess it's about time to call and make an appointment to have my tubes tied.[/small]

For some reason, it kind of bothers me that people think this is no big deal. What if one of the parents had over-dosed and died because of something they had used and used too much of? The idea that there could be a copy-cat of these two girls accidentally killing his/her parent or guardian because he/she wanted more internet time, which they probably had many hours of already, gives me the chills.

Ten o'clock in the evening is not an unreasonable curfew for electronic entertainment that they've probably been glued to most of the day already. Wanting your kid to play a board game with a friend or read a book for a while, or just get adequate sleep for the next day - is not bad parenting. As far as I am concerned what those girls did was dangerous, I don't think jail-time is particularly necessary; but this isn't amusing or okay either.
Probably because the girls stuck it to the man by fighting against authoritative restrictions.

Ya, you 2 are the more sane ones here. So I will talk to you.

I read the article, the only reason the parents did not OD was because they only drank a quarter of the milkshake, because "they tasted funny".

Now that there is scary, and I am annoyed at the Escapist for leaving that part out.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Gilhelmi said:
Baldry said:
Considering the fact the parent called the police instead of being a responsible parent and discipling the children good on the kids. The parent sounds kinda shitty from the way they've acted.
Really? Not in my book. They wanted proof before they punished their children, and the police had the testing kit they needed for that proof. The parents just did not want to punish unfairly. Also, the teens should have spent time in jail.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drug-Testing-Kits-Methadone-Cannabis/dp/B0026RQ6Z8/ref=pd_sim_d_3
There you go, a drug testing kit. It'll check for benzodiazepine, a key ingredient in things that make you go night night. It's not that hard. Overreacting's just gonna cause the kid to resent their parent and authority and cause them to act out again. Also since the police didn't punish them the kids are gonna feel like they can do more serious things and get away with it.

theswordsmn

Nov 12, 2010
It could have been a lot worse for the teens. Back when I did work with a Juvenile hall, there was a girl in there who had put a sleeping pill in her mom's drink so that she could stay the night at a slumber party one of her friends was having. However, it turned out the mom was allergic to the medication and had to be hospitalized. The girl was charged with attempted murder and her mom chose to press charges.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
These are kids who are obviously idiots. Idiots drugging people has to be brought to the police. The kind of drugs that make you fall asleep can easily become the kind of drugs you never wake up from again. This isn't a "aw shucks" sort of thing. It's a "We just wanted to go on the internet. We didn't know that much could put them in the hospital."

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Baldry said:
Gilhelmi said:
Baldry said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drug-Testing-Kits-Methadone-Cannabis/dp/B0026RQ6Z8/ref=pd_sim_d_3
There you go, a drug testing kit. It'll check for benzodiazepine, a key ingredient in things that make you go night night. It's not that hard. Overreacting's just gonna cause the kid to resent their parent and authority and cause them to act out again. Also since the police didn't punish them the kids are gonna feel like they can do more serious things and get away with it.
And how long to delivery? Long enough for it to be out of their systems, maybe, depends on which one they go with and all else. Or, it is easier to go to the local PD and get a kit there.

That is like complaining about a rape victim going to police to get a rape kit done instead of ordering one on Amazon.

Also, read the linked article. The girls were arrested, but because they were minors, no details were released. Which is not overreacting, the parent could have died from OD. Another thing missed by the Escapist, was that the parents only drank a quarter of the milkshake. Had they finished them, then this head-line would be "Teens Murder Parents for Net Access". And yes, even if it was an accident, they were breaking the law. Any death caused by a criminal (note criminal, not misdemeanor) act, directly or indirectly, is considered murder. Though they might have gotten Manslaughter.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Gilhelmi said:
Baldry said:
Gilhelmi said:
Baldry said:
And how long to delivery? Long enough for it to be out of their systems, maybe, depends on which one they go with and all else. Or, it is easier to go to the local PD and get a kit there.

That is like complaining about a rape victim going to police to get a rape kit done instead of ordering one on Amazon.

Also, read the linked article. The girls were arrested, but because they were minors, no details were released. Which is not overreacting, the parent could have died from OD. Another thing missed by the Escapist, was that the parents only drank a quarter of the milkshake. Had they finished them, then this head-line would be "Teens Murder Parents for Net Access". And yes, even if it was an accident, they were breaking the law. Any death caused by a criminal (note criminal, not misdemeanor) act, directly or indirectly, is considered murder. Though they might have gotten Manslaughter.
You can probably go to your local chemist and get one, I apologise for not searching for every single place you can get a drug test.

No. Rape's a bit more serious then a couple of kids knocking out their guardian so they can go on the internet.

Kids break the law. I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm saying it's up to the parent to enforce those laws. It's up to the parent to teach the kids that going around drugging people isn't the proper way to do things. All the parent has done by going to the police is re-enforced the fact that they're a shit parent who can't handle the responsibility given to them. If they were a half-way decent parent they would trust their kid not to go on dodgy sites and to have talked to them in the first place. All this parent's doing is shifting the responsibility, they let the internet security take responsibility for what the kid does on the internet and they're letting the police take responsibility for the discipling of the kids.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
All I can say is "lol". I mean really? They wanted to be on the internet THAT bad?

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Baldry said:
Gilhelmi said:
Baldry said:
Gilhelmi said:
Baldry said:

You can probably go to your local chemist and get one, I apologise for not searching for every single place you can get a drug test.

No. Rape's a bit more serious then a couple of kids knocking out their guardian so they can go on the internet.

Kids break the law. I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm saying it's up to the parent to enforce those laws. It's up to the parent to teach the kids that going around drugging people isn't the proper way to do things. All the parent has done by going to the police is re-enforced the fact that they're a shit parent who can't handle the responsibility given to them. If they were a half-way decent parent they would trust their kid not to go on dodgy sites and to have talked to them in the first place. All this parent's doing is shifting the responsibility, they let the internet security take responsibility for what the kid does on the internet and they're letting the police take responsibility for the discipling of the kids.
Last word I have is this. We only see one small snapshot into this family. We do not know really what preceded this incident. What if, I hate the what ifs but, this was not a first time issue. I do not mean with this particular crime, but other things. Every time the parents do the discipline, the teens go "NO, freedom" and rebel, even when the rules are reasonable (like no texting and driving, be home by 9, ect).

If this was a teen boy, drugging a woman, would you only want him charged with rape? I would say no, drugging is incredibly dangerous. For me that is what this comes down to.

EDIT: In the US, a drug testing kit at the Pharmacy costs $20 (US). Police charge only at cost, no profit.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
from what I'm understanding of the story the blames lay with the parents s well as the teens. First of all, 10 PM cut off, at 15 is to restrictive, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn of other violations of this ill suited rule. kids grow up, and treat a 15 year old like a 12 year old is going to cause problems in short order.
OK this isn't addressed just to you, but kinda everyone who is saying this: can you explain what is so wrong with 10PM cut off for internet? I wasn't allowed up past 9PM until I was 17, at 15 I was rejoicing that the "only 2 hours of computer a day" rule was being loosened, and I certainly never felt the need to drug anyone.

OT: Stupid entitled brats who think they "deserve" to have whatever they want and are willing to go to any length to get it make me ill, little shits should spend a night in juvie just so they understand that's not how it works.