Teens Sedate Parents For Net Access

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
So, instead of risking jail time, they didn't think to just get the password from their parents?

"Hey mom, we're working on a school project and I need to look up sources, it's due in a couple days, can I have the password?"

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
EHKOS said:
mysecondlife said:
Reminds me of my ex-gf whose mother set the internet to turn off at 2AM. Makes me wonder what she did to get around it.

Incoming scary thought.
Boot into the BIOS and change the system clock? That's what I did :p
Funny story I just remembered. Every once in a while, she would try to guess the password to get into the system and disable the timer. Apparently she knew that the password is a name of a random city. She eventually guessed the correct password (ho chi minh city) and disabled the timer.

So now, what's your story?

Aslyn

Jan 22, 2012
Remus said:
getting the police involved is even worse. No permanent harm was done to the parents but permanent harm can be done to the children if they end up with a record due to this incident. It will not matter when this happened, if it's on their record it will make them effectively unemployable and yet another strain on society in a country full of people who are stuck in a vicious circle of crime and poverty.
Juvie records are sealed. So, no, this won't make them forever unemployable.

I do see a lot saying that the parents are shitty. I generally assume that the person posting this is young and has no children. After checking a few profiles, I seem to be right. 10 pm is entirely acceptable for a high school SOPHOMORE. And even if its overly strict, drugging someone is completely idiotic and potentially life threatening. What if mom and dad had a night cap before bed? Alcohol + sleeping pills = bad idea. It shows complete lack of respect, not only for them as parents, but for them as human beings. It says "I don't like your decisions, so I will remove your ability to make decisions."

We don't know all the facts, so we can't judge the parents based off this article. For all we know, she was already sneaking out, drinking, smoking pot, and this was simply the last straw. We can, however, say that the child (because she is a child) acted without thought, immaturely, and irresponsibly. And that deserves punishment in some form.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
TheGroovyMule said:
bit[/i] extreme...
you clearly never had your pc autmatically shut down at certain time due to some time restriction seeded in bios and loose a weeks worth or work because your parents though that 12 pm is a good time to "study" for you, even if you already done all the studies needed. and yes, bio viruses was the only way they managed to make me not go around thier security, well that and carrying the tower box to thier work so i wont have any :p

I don't know, I mean, I"m with you on the "don't get the law involved" part, but 10 seems pretty fair to me. The parents just want them to get adequate sleep. My bed time was 9:30 until I was about 14.
i had no sleeping curfew since i was 6 and i never developed any bad sleeping habits, infact i sleep much better than most people and i was smart enough to know howlong i can stay up at PC at what day. having a set time is stupidty.

Do you know what "minors" means? It means "stupid".
i was going to type a long reply of why you are wrong, but this... lets jut leave it there or it will soon escalate into both of us banned.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Belated said:
well, i'm training to become a police officer so chances are i will kill someone at some point, i may have no choice, and i don't feel comfortable with that knowledge, but it may be the price i pay.

My parents are much the same as yours.

I'm sorry to hear about your mothers passing.

Thank you for clarifying your answer.

Xukog

May 21, 2011
I'm more shocked that Iv'e seen a couple posts that thinks the parents are in the wrong for calling the cops on idiots who think drugging people is a justifiable response to a curfew...and a fairly lax one for someone still in school.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
lunavixen said:
Belated said:
well, i'm training to become a police officer so chances are i will kill someone at some point, i may have no choice, and i don't feel comfortable with that knowledge, but it may be the price i pay.

My parents are much the same as yours.

I'm sorry to hear about your mothers passing.

Thank you for clarifying your answer.
Oh, you're becoming a police officer? Well I hope my daughter doesn't grow up to be a contract killer you have to deal with.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
A Smooth Criminal said:
Kopikatsu said:
They should face jail time regardless. Drugging someone standing between you and something you want because you can't just wait until the morning is not the mark of a well adjusted individual.

Blablahb said:
Milanezi said:
I guess now the girls made their point of how MATURE they are and how SAFE it is to let them roam around the internet.
Look at it the other way: Their parents treated them like small children, and it made them act like small children, what a surprise...
You think that an acceptable response to a curfew (And 10PM is very generous) is to drug the authority figure so you have free reign?
They're kids, not adults.

There's a large difference, you might not realize it, but generally a parent doesn't punish their child by sending them to prison.
And children don't generally willingly partake in actions that can cause the death or permanent/severe injury of the adult figure. What's your point?

They're not children, they're 15 and 16. That's old enough to understand the concepts of morality and consequences. They (or at the very least the 16 year old) are sick and need to be dealt with by the state. They're proven themselves to be too much of a problem for the parents to handle if they're willing to drug them against their will.

I'm having difficulty understanding why people can't see the severity (and implications) of what they've done.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Blablahb said:
Kopikatsu said:
You think that an acceptable response to a curfew (And 10PM is very generous) is to drug the authority figure so you have free reign?
I didn't say that. I did say however that the parent's treatment of the kids caused this to happen.

And if you call the police on your own daughter after something like that, I'd say that evidently, something in those parents' heads isn't wired correctly. It's sure a crisis event in terms of raising kids, but such things do not happen by themselves. It requires years of lousy parenting to lose enough respect for something like that to happen.

Now they're using the police to compensate for their own failure, and if you ask me, the Rocklin police messed up bigtime by actually letting themselves be used for that.
You do realize that one of those girls, the one who provided the drugs and most likely the idea in the first place, wasn't their daughter? Even if the idea was originally from their own daughter it's still absolutely insane that the other girl brought the drugs with her and aided the daughter.

This isn't a domestic dispute. This is a case of a visitor drugging her hosts so she can have unrestricted access to their property. That's a criminal offence. Because of that they were right in involving the police, for the sake of their own daughter. It needs to be unequivocally clear that things like this aren't just misdeeds deserving of a scolding, they're criminal offences deserving of jail time.

If the police get involved now in a minor way to impress on these girls just how serious shit like this is then it may in the future be to the great benefit of all parties if these girls get enough of a scare to never pull something like this again.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Probably because the girls stuck it to the man by fighting against authoritative restrictions.

There are a lot of people on the faaaaaaaaar left on the Escapist. Comes with the territory, I guess, but there is definitely such a thing as too much freedom.
Heh... weird...

As someone one the far left I generally see "sticking it to the man" and too much freedom as things of the far right.

Far left in my view entails strict rules and regulations to ensure fair and decent treatment of all as well as providing safety nets and opportunities to those in need or otherwise disadvantaged.

Far right in my view entails dropping as many rules as possible to let supply and demand take care of everything in blind faith that this will somehow result in a situation benefiting everyone.

Sticking it to the man generally seems to come with populism, which here in the Netherlands at least, is very right-wing. Although there definitely are some left-wing ideas mixed in.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Keoul said:
Baldry said:
Well in this case it requires my kid to want to drug people and the only reason i'd see my child do it would be for shits and giggles.
Tantrum maybe not, getting violent and what not maybe, if there's a threat of death then sure call the police but they shouldn't of let it get this far in the first place.
Yeah but if we use the example above they would've drugged you to skip curfew, maybe it's just to use the internet now but they might decide to drug you later to go to a party next time is all I'm saying.
I can agree with this part though.
Then I would discipline them myself I'd also I might not start trusting the drinks they make for me. Also if they ever did it for these reasons I would feel like I'd been doing a shitty job as a parent.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Hagi said:
Technically, freedom isn't anything to do with leftism or right...ism (is that a word?). It helps if you imagine political views as a compass. Of course you have left and right wing views, but you also have 'up and down'. If one were to take up as authoritarian and down as more freedom based, then it makes more sense. I.E., someone who is freedom-based and left wing will probably be an anarchist, while someone freedom based and right wing is probably a libertarian.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
A Smooth Criminal said:
They're kids, not adults.

There's a large difference, you might not realize it, but generally a parent doesn't punish their child by sending them to prison.
And children don't generally willingly partake in actions that can cause the death or permanent/severe injury of the adult figure. What's your point?

They're not children, they're 15 and 16. That's old enough to understand the concepts of morality and consequences. They (or at the very least the 16 year old) are sick and need to be dealt with by the state. They're proven themselves to be too much of a problem for the parents to handle if they're willing to drug them against their will.

I'm having difficulty understanding why people can't see the severity (and implications) of what they've done.
[Emphasis added]

I disagree vehemently. I see nothing here to indicate that the kids thought of this as anything more than a basically harmless prank just to get what they want. Childish? Sure. "Sick"? Absolutely not.

That isn't to say that they aren't bad kids. I have no idea. But this act alone not only isn't that big of a deal, but also isn't necessarily indicative of ill intent or a cause for alarm.

If anything, what they're most stupid for is accepting prescription drugs from others and not doing full fact checking on proper dosage, mixing worries, etc, assuming they didn't. Police involvement is way over the top.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Blablahb said:
[People don't need 10-11 hours of sleep a day. Most parents who still treat their kids like that tend to be rather authoritarian and conservative. For instance in the retarded Christian fishing village I'm from you often heard of such things.

All it caused was kids doing the strangest things. The bible belt kids were getting drunk, drunk driving, making fireworks bombs, brawling in pubs, fucking total strangers, etc etc. Two villages further where I preferred to hang out, it was a commuter town of mostly modern families. No curfews outside of the actual sensible ones, and definately no such crazyness from kids. The kids in my home town were a bit of a running joke for their behaviour there.

And a curfew of 8:30 is insane.
my high school started at 8:25 in the morning and 8am for years 11 and 12 which meant i had to catch a bus at 7:50am in junior school years and 7am in year 11 and 12. so a 9pmish curfew was reasonable by the time you consider how long it takes to get to sleep and how early i had to get up for school. My parents gave me quite a lot of freedoms, i was never grounded. I turned out fine, i've got a bachelors degree and am training to get into the police force.

As for the second paragraph, i'm glad i don't live where you do, the reason my curfew was so early was for school, in the holidays i could stay up until 11pm

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Blablahb said:
Hagi said:
This isn't a domestic dispute. This is a case of a visitor drugging her hosts so she can have unrestricted access to their property. That's a criminal offence. Because of that they were right in involving the police, for the sake of their own daughter. It needs to be unequivocally clear that things like this aren't just misdeeds deserving of a scolding, they're criminal offences deserving of jail time.
Yeah, I mean, teens rebelling... They really need to be locked up, all of them, otherwise society as we know it will be destroyed.

It's overblown to involve the police, and worse yet it's a way of not having to confront their failing parenting skills. Because like I said before: Kids don't do something like that by themselves.
Because the only measures the police ever takes are locking people up and then only for months at a time along with criminal records and everything else.

It's not like there are options to just have the teens spend a single night in jail to give them a sense of the severity of the situation or assign them community service or anything, all without giving them a criminal record.

And clearly teens with good parents never ever submit to peer pressure or otherwise do stupid things without thinking about the consequences. If a teen ever does anything criminal it's clearly because his/her parents are total failures.

This was a serious thing they did. There need to be serious consequences. The police is there to help, that's their job. Involving them to impress on these teens just how dangerous it was what they did was the right move to make. It doesn't make them parents, it makes them good parents for teaching their kids that their actions carry consequences. Most likely these kids will be taken to the station where it'll be explained just how dangerous what they did was and then they'll be given a punishment that's in their own long-term interest, something that will not ruin their lives in any way but will also serve as a serious deterrent for repeating things like this.

The police's job isn't just to deal with serious criminals who need to be locked away for a long time. Their job includes dealing with teenagers and young adults whose actions have gotten out of hand in an appropriate way. Whether that's teens drugging their parents, a house-party playing music way too loud or groups of kids making a nuisance of themselves in a public space it's the police's job to deal with them in an appropriate manner.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I could probably make some really bad joke about kids coming before the roofies these days. But I won't.
Still, not being allowed on the internet after ten is a bit stupid, unless they are meant to be in bed by then. I swear people make rules just for the sake of rules sometimes. That's not to say they should have drugged their parents though.

Jace1709

Apr 9, 2010
A lot of people seem to be overlooking a small part of this, if this girl (leaving the visiting friend out of it for the moment) is willing to drug her parents, two people she likely loves and the foremost authority in her life at the moment, over something as small as an Internet curfew, then what would she be willing to do to schoolmates, or just random people she meets, who REALLY piss her off. Better to scare the consequences into her now rather than after something even more serious later.

Or we could look at it another way, lets for arguements sake say this was a one off, spur of the moment thing the girl would never do again, the outcome could have been far worse than a hangover, what if there was an emergency during the night, for example, a fire. I am definitly no expert on sleeping pills, or whatever was given to the parents, and likely neither are the girls, im sure there are some that are light enough that you would wake up if something big happened, but these might not have been.

The people that are looking at this as a simple bit of fun, or a bit of teenage rebellion need to have a serious think beyond the single incident, there are so many outcomes worse than the one that happened.