Terraria Creator Confirms No New PC Content

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Sell out.

He has sold himself and PC gamers in general out. That's right, he has sold his soul.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I understand why this ended up like this but it is still a bad move, you are after all relying on good will to sell the next game of yours.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
It's understandably disappointing for long-time fans of the game, but it's also a redemption of sorts for Spinks, who is apparently sticking to his "no new development" guns after all. And you can hardly blame the guy for standing back and letting someone else pick up the ball and run with it, especially if they're going to toss him a few bags of money as they go by.

Yes, it is! No, it's not! And yes, you can!

I didn't even buy Terraria, and this pisses me off to read. You are basically saying we can't blame the guy for being a money grubber who's shrugging off the fanbase that made him his... everything, basically? If a big business did this, there would be torches and pitchforks involved. One guy does not avoid that on account of being one guy.

Sticking to his no new development guns by finding loopholes to let him stick extra cash in his pocket is downright despicable. If these guys will add extra content to the console version, I guarantee you if he looked for two seconds he'd find someone that would do the same for PCs.

I mean... gah!

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Ohh, ohh can I join in? [insert generic, unimaginative flame bait here]/[RAAAGE at generic flamebait]

Whenever everyone has calmed down from the keyboard melting rage that seems to be the default reaction to pretty much any announcements about any game whatsoever:

Reading comprehension: it's kind of important.

It clearly states that a completely different studio is making the port and all the original creator has done is pretty much licence them the code so they can port it, while porting it this second studio has had some ideas of their own that they have added to the game.

In what way is someone who has bought a game developer A made entitled to the content Developer B made for that game?

In what way do the actions of Developer B at all reflect on Developer A?

a) They're not, at all
b) They don't, at all

lokicdn

Sep 10, 2010
I don't understand the appeal of Terraria, so their lack of continued development doesn't bother me other then making me feel like I wasted $10. The game was too easy and simplistic. I guess world builders aren't for me.

Jutaris

Dec 9, 2011
I'll never understand all the hate that gets thrown around on this subject. Terraria at launch was already well worth the the $10 asked (and let's face it most people probably bought it on sale for less anyway), and between launch and 1.1 the amount of content practically doubled.

It's one dev people, one guy. No one wants to work on the same thing forever.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
This is one of those things that seems so much worse than it actually is if you don't fully read the article

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
I really enjoy Terraria. Minecraft makes me nauseous with the 3D perspectives (yes, I'm a wimp =P). I had a lot of fun with it on the PC and still do from time to time. While I'm disappointed that I can't get new content on the system I prefer Terraria on, I would be totally OK for paying for the new content on the PC. I don't EXPECT freebies, and I can see how some folks would me mad to pay for what's free on another system, but I imagine the new content's there to entice folks to buy it (or buy it again).

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
While it does suck that console owners will be getting new content while the PC crowd can only stand there and look sad (or more likely, RAGE RAGE RAGE), Terraria was a pretty damn big game already. Especially if you consider that it only cost about 10 euros. Hell, I haven´t even finished it yeet, I still need to punch my way through the hardmode bosses..

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Yeah, this is really messed up.

To me, this seems like screwing over your existing customers.

That's really rather unforgivable for me.

Spinks, consider me no longer buying your games.

Should you ever have any involvement in one in the future.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
So, they moved the title from PC exclusive over to consoles and all the PC elitist gamers raged over how the developer was abandoning them for greener pastures.

And then they were all completely vindicated in their reaction after so many people told them to stop crying and grow a pair.

Now all those people that derided the PC terraria gamers for their reaction need to take a step back and take a good long look at their own games. It happened to one game, it can happen to any other.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Well, now I'm definitely getting the Xbox version. Yay new content! I've been saddened ever since I learned that Terraria wasn't getting updates, but now I have a way of feeding my sweet sweet addiction.

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
I'll admit that I'm annoyed the PC version isn't getting updated like the console version is but it's not the end of the world. Redigit was part of a very small dev team while working on Terraria. His priorities have shifted since his son was born. Also, Tiy (another Terraria dev) has been working on another game that's more or less the spiritual successor to Terraria.

I guess if you really want new content, you're going to have to make it yourself. There's a good sized mod community you can ask for help.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
jbm1986 said:
I guess if you really want new content, you're going to have to make it yourself. There's a good sized mod community you can ask for help.
This might be the case if he had released the source code for the community to use.

He refused to do so however.

So, there's a limit on what can be done.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Hey PC audience ! Thanks for giving us all that money that helped us get where we are today ! As a thank you, we leave you....fucking nothing ! Now if you excuse us we're gonna rub off some money out of the console plebs

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
BooTsPs3 said:
And they said it was a beta. You're an idiot if you think that is releasing an unfinished product.
Just dropping by to laugh really hard at this.

"Unfinished product" is EXACTLY what a beta is. It's the very definition of a beta version.