Terraria Creator Confirms No New PC Content

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
So, I make all gamer look bad because I don't stay quite when someone tries to fuck me over? Sorry for not being spineless like you.

He earned millions on the promise to add specific content to the game. He didn't keep his promise. People are entitled to complain.
He earned millions? Please leave me a citation of this precise info you must have.

And you still seem to think that you're entitled to anything, which is the problem. By your logic people should be "entitled" to have Peter Molyneux's head on a plate for all of the feature he promised that didn't wind up in most games in the last 10-15 that he's made. You don't see people getting butthurt over that.

These things happen. And the money he made off this game could very well be going to support his newborn son. It's his money to do as he pleases with, he shouldn't have to spend it just to appease those who purchased the game and act like spoiled brats over petty things like features in a $10 dollar indie video game. The fact that you call things like raising a child a "problem" means you must have a very lax grasp on priorities and responsibility.

If you think that he should forgo parenting his child just so you can have a few virtual items you have a twisted sense on things and clearly have not had a newborn son. No your parents didn't have to quit their jobs to raise you, and be grateful for that. But your parents also were most likely not part of an small 3 person inde video game company.
You know, a job that takes up an extreme amount of time?

Seriously, either look up Indie Game:The Movie, or just look up the team behind Project Zomboid's story on YouTube and you'll see that making an indie game and getting it noticed is just about one of the most time consuming and hardest things to do.

This isn't a "just pay people to finish it for me" task here chum.

He's a person, not your personal liaison to the virtual that comes up with more content.

Play A New Game.

You keep mentioning that he could just pay people to finish the game for him.

Yeah sure, because that would be cheap right?
Because this wasn't an indie game made from scratch engine and all, right?

You act as if making video games on an indie level is a service to the consumer. Video games are a luxury, quit acting so entitled and grow up. Things fall through and promises get broken. That's life. Be thankful that you got a great game with lots of content already added to it in the first place.

The butthurt fans keep crying about promised content, yet not one has given an example of this promised content.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
danon said:
Looking at the bs the developer had to deal with exemplified in this thread i'm just happy he endured all the hate and bile and updated it at all. I don't think this is why we can't have nice things ever have been such a appropiate term.
See for me I have never understood apologists and people who use memes (mostly because they use them incorrectly) so I guess I will indulge and ask the question.

How is gamers reaction to this equate to why we can't have nice things? If the PC players were like "yay we don't get new content, oh well" how would that equate to getting "nice things"? The developer still stopped supporting after 1 major update, broke promises, and refused to let a dedicated community create mods when he himself is no longer dedicated to the game. So even if people took the middle finger graciously there still would be no change and people still wouldn't have "nice things."

It is quite frustrating to see apologists so quick to put down fellow gamers who are correct in their vindication.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Definitely not buying this again.
So guess who will be moving on to Starbound instead?

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Well, whatever... We're used to developers starting on the PC, becoming successful and then completely forgetting about who made them what they are. Just look at Lucasarts, iD, Gearbox, Microsoft, Epic, etc, etc.

It's OK, you greedy bastards. When the inevitable console decline begins (which it already has)you're gonna come back and we're going to remember how you supported PC.

Thankfully we have Valve, CD Projekt and other developers who is always there making good quality games for us.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Because if someone makes massive content for free and severely increases the size of the game and all they get is whining and complaints they are going to stop making updates. It's a really simple concept. They aren't legally bound to make more content updates so why would they when people are acting like brats. Some people just amaze me sometimes in what they think someone owes them just because they bought the game.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
danon said:
Because if someone makes massive content for free and severely increases the size of the game and all they get is whining and complaints they are going to stop making updates. It's a really simple concept. They aren't legally bound to make more content updates so why would they when people are acting like brats. Some people just amaze me sometimes in what they think someone owes them just because they bought the game.
Sir your ignorance is showing. Not only that but I would wager that you arn't even apart of the terraria community at all. If you were you would know that most gamers were supportive and constructive up until this issue. Even when the developer pulled a dick move stopping support after 1 major update people took it with grace (for the most part, there was a handful of rage but it was minor). There wasn't even any bad feeling up until the fans got trolled in this incident.

Please get your facts right before you look down on others and talk out of your ass. Thanks.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
danon said:
Except when a dev comes out and says "No more content" and "The game isnt being handed off" then hands it off and has more content made, THEN only console users get that new content...ya...we get pissed.

IF he lied to us and handed the game off..fine..I dont care..more people playing the game so thats cool.

IF you hand it off and have new content made to encourage people to buy..okay fine..thats cool as long as all versions get the same stuff. When you make that new stuff exclusive...dick move..

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
And you can hardly blame the guy for standing back and letting someone else pick up the ball and run with it, especially if they're going to toss him a few bags of money as they go by.
Hee hee! You're new to how this whole "internet" thing works, aren'cha?

More seriously... I paid, like, $1.50 for Terraria on a Steam sale. My level of engagement with the thing, and any related drama, could only be lower if I had never played it at all. But while I can understand why a small developer would be inclined to move on to other things, particularly if his prior project was going to continue to provide income without his needing to invest time in it, I can certainly also understand why the game's hardcore following (apparently Terraria has a harcore following...?) would feel that their long-standing support of the title (not just direct financial but word-of-mouth to friends, etc.) was being ill-rewarded by the move.

dtgenshiken7

Aug 4, 2011
Ugh, This was a bad move, not for the game but for the developer.

Maybe if he had leased the right to the console game to the guys making it, he would not have had to 'stand back', but continue working on this.

I get that he wants to give up on this though, it made him a shiteload of money, but it was getting to be too much, there was a lot of expectancy from him to pull more and more wonders out of his ass, and it was probably getting to be a bit too much for the poor fellow.

Still, I can't exactly ignore this, it was a dick move by all accounts, if anyone promises to deliver, they should at least say 'I'm sorry, this won't happen' rather than just saying 'This won't happen, have my middle finger instead.

it was just an indie game, but it carried plenty of reputation, and this man obviously didn't take into account the feelings of the PC gamers (even if they are quite defensive) and for this his next projects, I suspect, won't quite be as successful. Really, the only way to save himself now is to either release one more update with most of the stuff he promised, or a public apology.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I don't have much to say.

Terraria was never much more than a simple indie game for a few cheap dollars. Anybody could really make a spinoff if they wanted to.

Honestly, stuff like this might actually provoke people to do just that.

After all, Terraria was more or less a response to Minecraft's popularity.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
It would be really really hilarious if this new content was just like, a little hat for the player or a poster of a console controller you could put up on the wall. Then all this crap would have been over absolutely nothing.

Azeal

Sep 19, 2012
Was gonna say "fuck you, redigit", but after seeing that he isn't actually managing the ports, not quite as mad. I still think he should find someone to implement the pc features; he could probably throw it at the modding community and *bam* it would be done. That part still irks me.

now that that's said, moar Torchlight 2 :D

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Angry Juju said:
Since when do consoles cost $300? You need to stop looking at the models with built in diamonds.

Xbox's today go as low as $60.

And if you use a monitor for a computer, then you can generally use the same monitor for a console... If you use a laptop then well... Tough for you, but you're in the minority.
Wow, where do you live. I want to live there. Of course that would probably cost more than the price of a console anyway, so would end up utterly pointless.
Meanwhilst here in Australia, prices are a little less fair.
A 250Gb with Kinect bundle this time last year cost $500, and this year a 250Gb model costs $400, no Kinect [Yeah, somewhat inconsistent in products, but that's what I'm able to find info on :p]. The 4Gb with Kinect was $400 last year, and thus I'd assume the 4Gb would be $300 this year.
PS3 is likely worse, considering it attempted to launch for $1,000 here.
Links:
https://ebgames.com.au/xbox360-150845-Xbox-360-250GB-Console-Xbox-360
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/213446/20110914/microsoft-xbox-360-console-games-price-cuts.htm#.UGQVqU3Mh8E

As for using my current monitor with a console, its unlikely. For one it has issues with certain graphics cards [thanks to using a bypass type board or something according to the sellers], which will likely include those in consoles, and will only accept DVI-D Dual Link Connections. Assuming a console could handle this, I would have to unplug it from my PC every time I wanted to play 1 game, then swap it back once I was finished with said game, and this is assuming I can fit the Xbox in my room near my PC, which is unlikely for both power reasons and space reasons. I would probably have to grab my Xbox off a shelf somewhere, bring it to my monitor, unplug my PC and the monitor from the PC, Plug in the Xbox and then the monitor to the Xbox, all to play one game - a bit much in terms of effort no?
Not to mention at 2560*1440 the upscaling would be terrible.

Things like this aren't quite as easy as you'd make out. Even in the optimal scenario you provided, with cheap console and easy swapover of PC monitor to Xbox or W/E, you're still spending $70+ to play one game, that you already own, with less convenience as you still need to swap the monitor's input between the PC and console. I'm sorry if that sounds like a little much, 'cause its more than what I'd pay for a AAA game on release day. I could get 7+ Indie games for that money, or one that I already own + a paperweight. There are practicality issues with buying it again I'd assume for a lot of people.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Well obviously we haven't been to the same terraria forum because everytime a update took longer than people expected a shitstorm started. Griefing was also happening all the time in internet games. So yeah great community really.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
And everybody is talking about that he promised to continue to update the game. Newsflash he did. How long did you expect him to do it for the rest of his life?

theblindedhunter

Jul 8, 2012
So, chalk me up with the number of Terraria players who are disappointed but understanding. Does that number even exist?
I don't have a console, I don't really have the money to spare for a new game even if I did, and I very much enjoyed Terraria. But I also very much enjoyed Terraria. It was a well made game, and it earned its cost for me, even if it hasn't earned quite as much as some other things. I'd love for there to be new content, but the developer can't run himself ragged on something.
And really, I'm sure that he's getting some money, but I'd be really surprised if the reason for handing it over wasn't "I want to see it get to more players than it did before", not "ooh, I can make some money!!!" I'd think more of the money as a gift for seeing his IP get altered some from what he once crafted it into.