Terraria Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Terraria Review

If you?re a fan of adventure platforms like Metroid and Castlevania, but you always felt they could be a little more sandbox, Terraria is a must have.

Read Full Article

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
I heard about this game from Endling's page on deviantart. He did some art for the bosses, apparently. I was hoping I could see some of the ones he posted on his page in your video review, but it seems those are higher-level.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Minecraft w/ End Game...

I hate the Fire Imps and Skeletron's Chainsaw attack..

Beyond that its pretty fun to play Solo...I was able to get to Shadowscale in ~12h+ of dickin around

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Heh, I've been playing this game since May and I gotta say that it's a lot of fun. Especially if you're playing with friends.

These are the best $10 I've ever spent in a while and even better, it's being dsicounted at Steam for just $7.50.

Seriously, this game is awesome.

D4rkLigh7

Feb 12, 2009
Add water to you long drop to hell and then you will survive the landing, or find a lucky horse shoe on a sky island to not take fall damage. While minecraft is all about creaking your own fun Terraria is all about exploring the land, fighting monsters and getting the best armor and weapons possible.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
I think the game is pretty cool, and I was happy to support the developer with my ten bucks, but I found the mechanics too difficult to deal with conveniently. I would have gotten a ton more enjoyment out of the game had the aiming been more precise and the blocks had been about 2-3 times larger.

Still, great game.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Justin Clouse is glad that fire imp spawns are down to a less murderous level now.
What? The last patch was June 23rd, and that patch more than trebled the rate that fire imps spawn for me. In fact, it became impossible to mine at all where they can spawn as there is at least one, if not two, imps attacking me constantly.

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
Early today on a large sized map I built a huge tower to the very top then mined all the way down to the very bottom in hell, I was surprised it only took 1 minute and 6 seconds to fall all the way from the top to the bottom because it feels like an eternity when you build a complicated network.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I love Terraria, it is a really fun game to play and is not similar to Minecraft!

I love both games, but the only real thing the games have in common is the fact that both worlds are composed of blocks...

I don't know who first came to the conclusion that the game is just a 2D Minecraft, but they were completely wrong.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
In Castlevania and Metroid, you feel like there's a purpose to what you're doing. Terraria is more like doing things for their own sake. Unfortunately, that concept works much better for a creatively focused game like Minecraft. The creation aspect in Terraria is not really the emphasis of the game, which is okay, but the adventure is boring and lacking in any real goals.

Also, stolen Final Fantasy sprites for the lose. I mean, I know they were replaced, but I can't shake the feeling it's only because people noticed and complained; the idea that they were merely placeholders all along seems like an excuse made after-the-fact.

P.S. Thanks

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Covarr said:
In Castlevania and Metroid, you feel like there's a purpose to what you're doing. Terraria is more like doing things for their own sake. Unfortunately, that concept works much better for a creatively focused game like Minecraft. The creation aspect in Terraria is not really the emphasis of the game, which is okay, but the adventure is boring and lacking in any real goals.

Also, stolen Final Fantasy sprites for the lose. I mean, I know they were replaced, but I can't shake the feeling it's only because people noticed and complained; the idea that they were merely placeholders all along seems like an excuse made after-the-fact.

P.S. Thanks
They were stand ins during production, and replaced before the game shipped. This is, like, the most common indie practice in history.

Doing things 'for your own sake' is completely silly. When you stab monsters in Castlevania, why are you doing it? Because the princess is at the end, and needs rescuing? Does it really matter why you are leveling up your gear and potions? The only thing Terraria lacks in that department is a shiny star at the end to certify you are 'done'.

For those who can let the path be the reward, Terraria is indeed awesome.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I dont get why every reviewer I've seen is just doing the review now.. Its been out for months..

But whatever, its a awesome game..

juffeee

Sep 4, 2010
He didn't have lucky horseshoe and died from falling damage. :D That's like the most important equipment in the game. =)

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Enjoyed playing Terraria for about three days straight.

Then I lost ~6 hours of progress when the game crashed since it only saves when you quit.

Sorta killed my interest. I'm not a fan of setbacks that large in a game like this.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Its a fun game but once you have everything in it your basically stuck waiting for the next patch. It doesn't have Minecraft's longevity.