Terraria Review

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Covarr said:
In Castlevania and Metroid, you feel like there's a purpose to what you're doing. Terraria is more like doing things for their own sake. Unfortunately, that concept works much better for a creatively focused game like Minecraft. The creation aspect in Terraria is not really the emphasis of the game, which is okay, but the adventure is boring and lacking in any real goals.
Have to disagree here. I dont really think many people go into Metroidvania style games and adventure games with the final boss being your one true goal. You gather items and beat bosses for their own sake in collecting loot and getting shiny things, not a tangible goal.

For me personally I got bored of Minecraft because the progression was too slow and well..there were no goals at all. Once id built my lava spewing dark castle, and a giant underground fort, it just ran out of stuff to do. With Terraria, each new update throws in new items and enemies and basically says "heres new stuff...try and find it or kill it" and gives you something to mess around with, Minecraft lacks that in my opinion.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I would say the original metroid and castlevania were essentially goal-less, with the exception of what was in the packaged instruction booklet. I didn't know what samus aran was doing in all those creepy caves way back when, i just knew the varia suit was incredible

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Man, the "highway to hell" part at the end blew my mind.

I'm officially more interested in this game now.

Olikunmissile said:
Oh I wouldn't mind an advert here or there, but to make them so intrusive is just dickish. Bit like your comment really. Why can't people just be nice on the internet? Is not being an asshole that hard?
I want you to consider this one for a second:

You came on The Escapist's website, which you've been using for free since 2008, watched a free 3:40 review, accompanied by a full review article, again - for free, and then called the same people that provided this content "dicks" because they had the "audacity" of having a 30 seconds ad before the optional free video which actually pays for the content you enjoyed, knowing that there's the option you didn't take to subscribe to the website which removes the ads entirely.

...And you're complaining people aren't nice?

Seriously think this one through here.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I saw this game on Steam awhile back and thought, "Meh, Minecraft clone".

After this review I decided to give it a shot (plus Steam had dropped it to £4) and was very impressed. Yes, it can still be classed as a Minecraft clone but being restricted to 2d has allowed for a lot more interesting things to be done.

I sunk 3 hours into the game last night without realising which is always a good sign.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
itf cho said:
KDR_11k said:
That's what hell was like before the introduction of higher resolutions (and thus longer distances to the monster spawning area), I always had one of those bastards around. Now they've added spawn weights so "expensive" enemies like imps prevent other spawns. With the added hellbats and slimes I'm noticing far fewer imps as the bats and slimes take up all the spawn slots. I mined my hellstone by digging into the underground of hell, as long as the caves don't extend into the monster spawn area (a certain distance offscreen) there won't be any spawns and others talked about filling the spaces you mined out after you don't need them anymore to prevent spawns.

Also hellstone is so damn good it's worth fighting the imps for.
Well, I basically gave up on the game after they made this change. Before, I'd face an imp every few minutes - now, it's constant.
IMO that's how it should be. Molten Fury and Phoenix Blaster alone are enough of a reason to make mining hellstone very hard. Those things are a HUGE step up from the next lower tier of gear. It used to be too damn easy, both me and everyone I played with had no trouble getting hellstone before even reaching the dungeon which made a lot of dungeon gear obsolete.

Nov 12, 2010
Just use explosives to mine in such places. Meteorite ore is also a royal pain to mine now with the little meteors constantly pestering you for 29 damage on tier 6 armor. I just use dynamite - problem solved. One more thing: potions are your friend. "Ironskin" is particularly useful - it increases your defense by 10!

EDIT: how ignorant of me. Hellstone is immune to explosives. ;(

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Lucane said:
archvile93 said:
The only problems I have with this game is that I'll need to kill the eater of worlds if I want to get further, which is something I can't see myself doing. Also, I can't get new npcs to move into the top floor of my my apartment building (currently three floors), which I can't figure out why since the third floor is a carbon copy of the seecond floor which got filled pretty quickly. Also that dungeon is mocking me. Stupid skeletron.
I could help you with that I've killed the Eater of Worlds a few times already If you want help I'm available now if you are.
I appreciate it, but before I even think about killing it I need to figure out why I can't get more NPCs to move in. Like I said, the third story is identical to the second which got filled pretty quickly, so I can't think of anything that's keeping them away. I checked booth the wiki and several forums which were unhelpful with this. I've heard the rooms can't share borders (the second story ceiling is also the third story floor), but I've seen others do that without a problem. It's really ruining the game for me. I want purification powder and a better source of dynamite; I don't even have a musket yet because of this. The reason I'm can see myself having trouble with the eater of worlds is that I have to kill it to get the next level of armor (I'm on gold with demonite weapons, thank you eye of cthulu, I sure as hell wasn't going to look for that demonite ore myself) which barely got me through giant eyeball and the eater is even harder and can only be summoned on corruption, which means I'll have to deall with him while simultaniously getting mauled by swarms of flying assholes, all trying to knock me into chasm where surviving the fall is not an option.

Nov 12, 2010
archvile93 said:
...The reason I'm can see myself having trouble with the eater of worlds is that I have to kill it to get the next level of armor...
You can get Necro armor very easily, all you need is 90 bones from a dungeon and 135 cobwebs. I had golden armor and demonite sword when I killed Skeletron. You'll need plenty of pots (ironskin, swiftness, healing of course) and shurikens. The strategy of dealing with him is similar to the Eye of Chtulhu. Cursed skulls in the depths of a dungeon are really annoying though.

As for your NPC troubles: I just built everyone of them a separate house: an architect in me speaking, I guess. You might wanna try that.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
archvile93 said:
I appreciate it, but before I even think about killing it I need to figure out why I can't get more NPCs to move in...
No problem I'm down for anything I just converted my hill side varied houses into a 5 story Sliver/Copper Brick and Wooden structure, and if you don't mind I've got plenty of extra materials for summoning another Eater of Worlds and other various goodies and 3 Life Hearts(That I recently picked up)I can't use any way if your gauge isn't full yet. I'm free anytime Monday or Sunday the 10th after

Edit: 5pm EST if Monday isn't good though later on can be arranged as well of course.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
ive been watching the cynical brit's lets play of this and it looks fun but the reason i never played minecraft is because i felt that running around digging and building stuff would get boring for me without a set objective in mind. is there an actual goal in this game or is it one of those things where you make your own goal?

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Lucane said:
archvile93 said:
I appreciate it, but before I even think about killing it I need to figure out why I can't get more NPCs to move in...
No problem I'm down for anything I just converted my hill side varied houses into a 5 story Sliver/Copper Brick and Wooden structure, and if you don't mind I've got plenty of extra materials for summoning another Eater of Worlds and other various goodies and 3 Life Hearts(That I recently picked up)I can't use any way if your gauge isn't full yet. I'm free anytime Monday or Sunday the 10th after

Edit: 5pm EST if Monday isn't good though later on can be arranged as well of course.
Sure, Monday at five's good. I use xfire if you have it and the user name is the same there. Maybe if you see the place first hand you can see what's wrong with it. Have to warn you though, I'm forced to use a wireless internet connection without a wireless card so the internet spazzes out sporadically. Also, I already have full hearts, but I could use more mana crystals, and if you have any obsidion skulls, space guns, molten armor and the like I wouldn't complain.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
00slash00 said:
ive been watching the cynical brit's lets play of this and it looks fun but the reason i never played minecraft is because i felt that running around digging and building stuff would get boring for me without a set objective in mind. is there an actual goal in this game or is it one of those things where you make your own goal?
Well so far the In-game world doesn't really push you to do anything If you don't push yourself a little too but you can make multiple characters or just main one and you can do the same for the worlds you can create multiple randomly generated worlds to explore them all with the same character or any other characters too.Story wise if you can call it that it's do what ever you want but after several in game days some events are forced apawn you if you don't trigger them once before or it's just a timed event pop-up like blood moons where a lot more creatures come out during the night for the whole night and can even broke through(just unlock not destroying )doors and some bosses will appear as well if after a period of time has passed if you haven't defeated them yet. but other than that up to Version 1.0.5. doesn't have a real reason for you do anything in game other than just for the sake of exploring.

The world only changes(mostly) when you make it so a patch or silver ore won't regrow or be there for a different character but grass and other plants can grow over time making that a nice way to harvest cash making gardens of certain plants either for potions or for selling to get coins

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Lucane said:
Well so far the In-game world doesn't really push you to do anything If you don't push yourself a little too but you can make multiple characters or just main one and you can do the same for the worlds you can create multiple randomly generated worlds to explore them all with the same character or any other characters too.Story wise if you can call it that it's do what ever you want but after several in game days some events are forced apawn you if you don't trigger them once before or it's just a timed event pop-up like blood moons where a lot more creatures come out during the night for the whole night and can even broke through(just unlock not destroying )doors and some bosses will appear as well if after a period of time has passed if you haven't defeated them yet. but other than that up to Version 1.0.5. doesn't have a real reason for you do anything in game other than just for the sake of exploring.

The world only changes(mostly) when you make it so a patch or silver ore won't regrow or be there for a different character but grass and other plants can grow over time making that a nice way to harvest cash making gardens of certain plants either for potions or for selling to get coins
yeah i wasnt expecting a story or anything but boss fights are sort of what im talking about. like just building a massive house is something the probably wouldnt hold me attention long, but things like building up my health and gear so i could survive boss fights would probably hold my interest longer. im still not sure if this will be my kind of game, but its $5 at the moment so what do i have to lose.

i do have two more questions though, if you dont mind. 1.)i heard online is tricky. can you connect with random people online or do you have to know their information? 2.)how is the modding community for the game?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
00slash00 said:
i do have two more questions though, if you dont mind. 1.)i heard online is tricky. can you connect with random people online or do you have to know their information? 2.)how is the modding community for the game?
For multi-player yeah you basically have to know each other the Host is the player who made the world but like I said before you can travel to multiple worlds so you could switch between hosts with their own worlds and such but Terraria only has 4 Bosses so far but I guess the maker isn't done yet either and they can reappear/be resummoned.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Don't take it as trolling, but rather as constructive criticism, but what's the point in having a video review and a written review if they contain almost the same information, word to word.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Eefness said:
lotsofotherstuff said:
I dont get why every reviewer I've seen is just doing the review now.. Its been out for months..

But whatever, its a awesome game..
Lol its because they have been too busy playing the game ^_^.

On topic the game is awesome and I myself have spent MANY hours playing it.

Side note: How many people do you have playing on that server and how long did it take to build all of that?
Probably 8-10 people, with maybe half of those on regularly during the construction process. Hard to give an exact time it took to build all the various things, as it was constantly renovated. The apartment tower is over 700ft tall now, and construction was done in 5 stages over about 3 weeks. We had 3 people dig a 5000ft long tunnel at 490ft depth (I-490) to connect the hell shaft 'rest area' (seen partway through the fall at the end of the video) to the jungle. It also connects with the corruption zone and the local base there with the Nymph. Construction of that was rather quick, even with only one of the three having a pick that could go through ebonstone (gold picks for the other two).

Mushroom farm construction was a 3-person project and took very little time. Hell shaft appeared pretty quick (wasn't part of the original dig), was upgraded with platforms and properly lit by a couple people over the course of a day. Later expanded to 3-wide and repaired after a lava accident at the reactor leaked down the shaft.

Latest projects include: Roman-style highway east (2 layers of dirt, 2 of stone, 2 of grey brick, and the top paved in gold brick) to the dungeon 6000ft away, which has some anti-meteor towers slowly sprouting over it; and a combat arena to the west, complete with spikes looted from that dungeon.

ThatGuyWithTheShotty said:
Anyone notice the Kiershar obsidian farm?
After a slight containment accident caused the collapse of the mushroom farm, and destroyed all the platforms in the hell shaft, we named ours the Fukushima Obsidian Reactor.[footnote]The tech team is known for being culturally sensitive[/footnote]