Texas Man Finds Missile Launcher in the Woods

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Ah, pointless news. How I love thee.

I'm going out into the woods right now. Running low on ammo.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
That's so bad ass I wish I could fins something like that. Only thing in my woods is bears and beavers. Yes my back woods is stereotypical Canadian

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
How the hell? Who the hell?
Yeah, so the U.S. Goverment spends, what, $50 billion on national defense each year and yet some soldier or other yahoo just "drops" a weapon that's pretty much anti-anything in the woods for joe six-pack to find? :mad:
*Groan*
You know, if he kept snoopin' around, he probably would've found a nuclear warhead.
A little minor proofreading there...
Ever see Lord of War? That tells strongly how the US Military keeps care of its weapons, and Im inclined to believe its true. On the other hand if that item was someone's specific responsibility when it was left in that lot, and if he is still in service, then he's got some splainin to do. You are right, that is pretty much anti-anything. Most likely that could have put a sizeable hole in the side of a ship if it was armed.
Being one who lives in Montana, a SAC state, when I first read that article title the first thing that came to mind was he found a missile silo in his backyard. I think that would cure his storage concerns. I've heard a number of people got creative with silos the air force emptied but didn't demolish, and sold instead as is, sans ICBM.
Well I tip my hat to this guy, for taking the opportunity to get all show-off on the web, but also being responsible and reporting it in.
Now to just find that tank someone misplaced...
Addendum:
Internet Kraken said:
Dazza5897922 said:
Thank the heavens some dumbass child didn't find it!
What could a child possibly do with an unloaded missile launcher?
Never underestimate the resourcefulness of a child with more imagination than Activision and EA combined. Though the look on mother's face when she recognized what Lil Johnny brought home would be priceless. :D

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Dazza5897922 said:
A better question would be: what COULDN'T a child do with an unloaded missle launcher?

I would bring it to show-and-tell. That is, if schools out there still even have that.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Makes a good story and a cool headline, but this guy didn't find anything more dangerous than a fiberglass tube. I can see how this would be alarming to someone who isn't familiar with these things, but he essentially found the equivalent of a shell casing. No explosives, propellant or even the guidance system - just an empty green tube. It still shouldn't have been left behind/dropped, but it's likely that they had a training exercise there before he owned that land. They use the empty tubes to drill and train with.

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
That is damn cool. Why can't weapons spawn around where I live?
Stick his arm into it?

On topic, that is unbelievably awesome. I wish I could just go to the woods out back and find an explosive weapon. Oh the fun I would have...

EDIT: It appears I quoted the wrong person.

Grigori361

Apr 6, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Dazza5897922 said:
Never underestimate the resourcefulness of a child with more imagination than Activision and EA combined. Though the look on mother's face when she recognized what Lil Johnny brought home would be priceless. :D[/quote]
samsonguy920 said:
ssgt splatter said:
How the hell? Who the hell?
Yeah, so the U.S. Goverment spends, what, $50 billion on national defense each year and yet some soldier or other yahoo just "drops" a weapon that's pretty much anti-anything in the woods for joe six-pack to find? :mad:
*Groan*
You know, if he kept snoopin' around, he probably would've found a nuclear warhead.
A little minor proofreading there...
Ever see Lord of War? That tells strongly how the US Military keeps care of its weapons, and Im inclined to believe its true. On the other hand if that item was someone's specific responsibility when it was left in that lot, and if he is still in service, then he's got some splainin to do. You are right, that is pretty much anti-anything. Most likely that could have put a sizeable hole in the side of a ship if it was armed.
Being one who lives in Montana, a SAC state, when I first read that article title the first thing that came to mind was he found a missile silo in his backyard. I think that would cure his storage concerns. I've heard a number of people got creative with silos the air force emptied but didn't demolish, and sold instead as is, sans ICBM.
Well I tip my hat to this guy, for taking the opportunity to get all show-off on the web, but also being responsible and reporting it in.
Now to just find that tank someone misplaced...
Addendum:
Internet Kraken said:
Dazza5897922 said:
Never underestimate the resourcefulness of a child with more imagination than Activision and EA combined. Though the look on mother's face when she recognized what Lil Johnny brought home would be priceless. :D
Yes that would be priceless, I'd pay money to see that :p.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
Imagine if a student found it (along with missiles) and started one of those school shooting things.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Internet Kraken said:
Dazza5897922 said:
It's not too hard to have that much creativity.

This is pretty cool, plus that guy could probably get some money for that launcher from a weapon enthusiast since you can't just go and buy launch tubes.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Oh man! That's freakin Falloutishly AWESOME!

I can imagen his facebook now

- Found 20$
- ran over a cat
- had cake
- "Found a missle launcher, LOL!"

....Lucky bastard.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
you guys failed to mention the part where he had a ridiculously impossible time returning it to the US Army. called the FBI, the army base, the local cops, and they all kept passing it off to someone else. I think that's the most eye opening part.