TGS '10: Devil May Cry Getting Reboot, Face-Lift

Fintan Monaghan

May 7, 2010
TGS '10: Devil May Cry Getting Reboot, Face-Lift

[gametrailers=704493]​
Dante looks a little different from what we're used to.

It's Devil May Cry, but not as we know it.

An emaciated man hangs from chains in a dirty, white-tile prison. His interrogators want to know his name. Cut to the same man, decked in a familiar red coat, cutting down demons left, right, and center with his gigantic sword. The man's name is finally revealed to be Dante. This is "DMC."

A fifth Devil May Cry has been a long time coming, but the new trailer aired at TGS hints that Capcom's Keiji Inafune may be hitting the reset button on the series. While the signature red coat remains, Dante looks very different. While still adept at killing demons, this Dante is younger and sports a mop of black hair. Even the art-style veers into new territory. And then, there's the name. This isn't Devil May Cry 5, just "DMC."

Reboots seem in vogue right now, with X-Com and Medal of Honor following the same path of late. Can the simple shedding of a number freshen up a tired series? Thankfully it looks like Ninja Theory is serious about taking DMC in a new direction and it'll be exciting to see where this goes.

New Capcom creation Asura's Wrath was also unveiled at the same conference, accompanied by a crazy, over-the-top trailer. It seems Asura, broken and bloodied, has been attacked by his fellow gods with what looks to be the fiery space-finger of Buddha and is left for dead. Very Asian-inspired ... and it must be said, very God of War inspired. Will be available on both the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

TGS 2010 reporting is done jointly by Fintan Monaghan and Lisa Gay.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Devil May Cry is not about a black haired, smoking boyhood protagonist who ends up in chains tortured several times. It's about a white haired half-demon man who enjoys pizza and strawberry sundaes who repeatedly gets stabbed through the chest with his own sword during his adventures.

This might be a great game (though I have my doubts about this as well), but I'm sorry Ninja Theory. Names aside, this is not Devil May Cry. And that's why the fanbase will decry it. Until we see how this ties in, I suspect that speculation online will only grow more pessimistic.

Only Capcom can handle this with the care that it deserves. And even they have not been treating it properly since DMC3, which still as far as I'm concerned is the best of the series.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
The art direction here is everything that is bad about gaming today. Everything.

I say this not as a fan of the other DMC's mind you, just a fan of gaming in general.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Cue the tormented weeping of many fanboys.

EDIT: Aaaaand ninja'd!

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
*Ignores all the DMC stuff hoping it won't come true*

So this Asura sounds interneting, someone wanna post that trailer?

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Fuck the fanboys.

DMC was rather stale, props to Ninja Theory for going 180 on it's ass.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
icyneesan said:
*Ignores all the DMC stuff hoping it won't come true*

So this Asura sounds interneting, someone wanna post that trailer?
Im with you on this...

Where the Asura trailer? And a giant buddha finger? Awesome!

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Silva said:
Devil May Cry is not about a black haired, smoking boyhood protagonist who ends up in chains tortured several times. It's about a white haired half-demon man who enjoys pizza and strawberry sundaes who repeatedly gets stabbed through the chest with his own sword during his adventures.

This might be a great game (though I have my doubts about this as well), but I'm sorry Ninja Theory. Names aside, this is not Devil May Cry. And that's why the fanbase will decry it. Until we see how this ties in, I suspect that speculation online will only grow more pessimistic.

Only Capcom can handle this with the care that it deserves. And even they have not been treating it properly since DMC3, which still as far as I'm concerned is the best of the series.
I would be interested in seeing this as an alternate reality where Dante is human, though to what effect that would have, I can only guess

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
This is dire, as I said in the other thread. His hair is too iconic a feature to change.

Also the world in general looks very very different. Not remotely the same style as the other games (with the possible exception of 4, not coincidentally my least favourite of the series)

I think I may just be done with the DMC series. It's clearly peaked, unless they change back everything about Dante, this can never be as good as the first 3 games.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Personally I never really liked any of the DMCs except the first one. So I don't really mind them rebooting the entire series.

But did they have to make Dante look like a transvestite?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
"What is your name?"

"Lisbeth Salander."

(Yeah, I stole that joke from FargoDog, but dang does it look like her. Especially like I imagined her in the books.)

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
How is it that so many people are missing the fact that he still has white hair? It's just not entirely white now. Pay closer attention to the video.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Why not just make a new character? Bayonetta has as much in common with Dante as this guy.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I'm gonna guess from his placement in a mental institution he's some guy that thinks he's Dante? Just throwing that out there. Also who does the music in the trailer? Anyone know?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
This announcement has brought out some of the most annoying whiners ever.

And they're not the ones you'd expect.

"Oh look, all the fanboys are mad because they are afraid of change! They're so immature! I didn't like DMC anyway!"

Every time I see an argument like this I get quite aggravated.

I mean, here we have a game series of 4 games in which only 2 of them are held in high regard. The second in the series is mostly ignored by people, and 4 was a huge disappointment for many because of the switch in Protagonist. People really wanted to see a new generation Devil May Cry game featuring the Dante they all know and love.

Then comes this reboot. The art-style is completely different from what DMC fans have come to expect, as it is now more dystopian future than a gothic setting, and Dante looks, sounds, and seemingly acts nothing like he used to.

I get it, not everyone thinks this reboot is a bad idea, and are intrigued, but they need to understand that to a lot of us, we still want a great DMC game on the new generation more similar to DMC 3 or 1 before we move on to a reboot. The series hasn't been given the proper goodbye it deserves. I mean for christ sake, continuity wise the series ends with a cliffhanger. Is it so hard to understand that people don't want change until the original series has been given a satisfying conclusion?

So please, stop calling people opposed to this "fanboys", or say that they are afraid of change, because it's not true. Some people might be overly dramatic about this, but that's no reason to insult them.