The “WTF?!” Thread

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
For reassurance, the dogs are fine. The people whoever. Fun read tho.
For half a moment I wondered why anyone would care if dogs committed adultery.

I don't know if you've ever heard the sound of a car hitting a human, but it's sickening.
I've been hit by a car, but it had been coming out of a convenience store's parking lot and wasn't going fast enough to do anything but wreck my bicycle. Still, glad to see that "bystander syndrome" didn't set in.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've been hit by a car, but it had been coming out of a convenience store's parking lot and wasn't going fast enough to do anything but wreck my bicycle. Still, glad to see that "bystander syndrome" didn't set in.
Yeah, everyone involved/who witnessed were pretty helpful, though I can say I was more than disappointed by all the traffic which simply changed lanes without so much as stopping while this poor woman lay in the street. I'm not saying EVERYONE should have stopped, but had at least one person stopped and put on their hazards and mitigated the rest of the traffic, I'd have felt much better. As it stood, I had to pull one man to safety as it was beyond dusk, and he was stepping into traffic trying to get people to drive around. Had it not been for the already present construction cones we were able to use to redirect traffic, this could easily have turned into a fatality. The area is not well lit, and our small gathering of people could have gone unnoticed until a car doing +40mph was already on top of us, or at least her who was immobile in the road.

The officer offered to give me the incident number, but I refused it as I couldn't think of any reason why I might need it, but in hindsight, I regret that. I really would like to know how that woman is doing, maybe visit her in the hospital, take her flowers, SOMETHING, but not knowing is eating at me right now.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Just another Crypto/NFT bro not wanting to pay, scheme everyone under their noses, and is yet another goddamn philistine!
Nah, this fucking bullshit has been around a fuck of a lot longer than Cryptobros. It's amazing how many people who are desperate to use visual art in their own creative endeavors suddenly devalue it when the prospect of having to pony up for it comes up.

Don't get me started on self-publishing writers.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I don't mind "AI art", sometimes it comes up with interesting things. But it needs to be understood that it's AI art, not actual art.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

A powerful South Carolina lawyer has been found guilty of murdering his wife and son to distract from his multi-million dollar financial crimes.
"Yeah, okay, so the theft was bad, but forget about that, have you seen what I've done over here?!"

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Ok, so rather than rectify a decades old problem caused by illegal importation of animals by a goddamn drug lord, they’d rather protect them at the expense of everything else. Logic checks.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Ok, so rather than rectify a decades old problem caused by illegal importation of animals by a goddamn drug lord, they’d rather protect them at the expense of everything else. Logic checks.
Hippos are seriously bad news. The most dangerous animals in the world are humans and disease vectors like mosquitos. There's a big gap between them and the next most dangerous, but hippos are right at the top of that group. Also, this bit:

" If the government doesn’t cull them, she says, people will use shotguns to do it. "

Yeah, no. Shotguns might annoy hippos, and then the shooter gets to witness how fast a charging hippo can run. You need serious firepower to kill an (adult) hippo, they have a thickery, leathery hide that can stop commonly used bullets.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007

"Yeah, okay, so the theft was bad, but forget about that, have you seen what I've done over here?!"
I think the goal was "please show mercy, I'm in 'mourning' over the horrible murders of my 'loved' ones!".

Yeah, no. Shotguns might annoy hippos, and then the shooter gets to witness how fast a charging hippo can run. You need serious firepower to kill an (adult) hippo, they have a thickery, leathery hide that can stop commonly used bullets.
Having to kill hippos is one of those rare situations where using some ludicrously powerful antimateriel rifle for hunting is actually a good idea.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I think the goal was "please show mercy, I'm in 'mourning' over the horrible murders of my 'loved' ones!".

Having to kill hippos is one of those rare situations where using some ludicrously powerful antimateriel rifle for hunting is actually a good idea.
Apparently the earliest, perhaps, example of what we would now call antimateriel rifles were rifles originally intended to hunt large African game rushed to German troops on the frontlines of WW1.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
[gif of a guy with a pair of threes pushing all his chips into the middle of the table]
I have no interest in this game, but why he took the stand to say what he did (admitting lying basically about everything "EXCEPT" the murders) felt like a massive miscalculation by the defense. I already thought he was guilty weeks ago, but when he took the stand to admit to lying... I mean, I'm not on his side, but dude, you're literally the final nail in your own coffin. I don't know how far the defense thought sympathy would carry them, but with their own client's testimony, it equated to pissing in the wind.

Reactions: Baffle

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
I have no interest in this game, but why he took the stand to say what he did (admitting lying basically about everything "EXCEPT" the murders) felt like a massive miscalculation by the defense. I already thought he was guilty weeks ago, but when he took the stand to admit to lying... I mean, I'm not on his side, but dude, you're literally the final nail in your own coffin. I don't know how far the defense thought sympathy would carry them, but with their own client's testimony, it equated to pissing in the wind.
I wouldn't be remotely surprised if his lawyers were frantically trying to get him not to testify, but he ended up being such a narcissist that he was certain he could convince the jury to believe him.