Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Around 2020...

View attachment 7863

And now...

View attachment 7862

Seriously, I hear Patriots trying to get Brady to play one more game for them so he may retire as a Patriot.
He doesn't even need to play. He could sign a 1-day deal and retire, but I think the blood between them is too sour for either side to give a shit.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
He doesn't even need to play. He could sign a 1-day deal and retire, but I think the blood between them is too sour for either side to give a shit.
It was the owner of the Patriots who floated the idea of Brady signing on for one day, probably just so he could say "The greatest QB of all time retired a Patriot, and that makes us the greatest team of all time".

It's really, really pathetic if you think about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It was the owner of the Patriots who floated the idea of Brady signing on for one day, probably just so he could say "The greatest QB of all time retired a Patriot, and that makes us the greatest team of all time".

The Patriots sucks.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

It happens all the time, players retiring under the banner of the teams they built their brands around. It's not pathetic; it's players "coming home" to the teams that made them.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
... whut?
A few years back there was a website you could type into what you like and have it read back in JP's voice. Now there's a whole video!?!? We are so hosed. Even further back was the Sean Connery/Wesley Snipes 1993 movie based upon Michael Crichton's 1992 novel "Rising Sun" in which people could be framed in deep fake videos (it wasn't called that back then) for crimes they didn't do, including murder. Imagine what politicians will be able to do with this kind of tech. Show them doing heroic things that didn't happen, or their opponents doing horrible things of which they are innocent. ITMT, that was a pretty terrific video.
It happens all the time, players retiring under the banner of the teams they built their brands around. It's not pathetic; it's players "coming home" to the teams that made them.
My wife has been praying for this. And longing to see "80 for Brady". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18079362/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
A few years back there was a website you could type into what you like and have it read back in JP's voice. Now there's a whole video!?!? We are so hosed. Even further back was the Sean Connery/Wesley Snipes 1993 movie based upon Michael Crichton's 1992 novel "Rising Sun" in which people could be framed in deep fake videos (it wasn't called that back then) for crimes they didn't do, including murder. Imagine what politicians will be able to do with this kind of tech. Show them doing heroic things that didn't happen, or their opponents doing horrible things of which they are innocent. ITMT, that was a pretty terrific video.
Too late, Pandora's box has been opened.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Shames it's being used for evil, so many decent uses.

For example, if you were an indie game designer and you wanted to include dialogue with different voices. And put voice artists out of work, I guess.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Too late, Pandora's box has been opened.
Forgot, even further back, also Crichton, 1981's "Looker" with Susan Dey. They do a full body scan of her and can use her image in whatever they want. Make her image a fake political candidate if they choose. And now it is here.

For example, if you were an indie game designer and you wanted to include dialogue with different voices. And put voice artists out of work, I guess.
Pretty sure back in the day they made sound machines illegal in UK for this reason (puts musicians out of work). I doubt that is still the law. We've come too far.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Forgot, even further back, also Crichton, 1981's "Looker" with Susan Dey. They do a full body scan of her and can use her image in whatever they want. Make her image a fake political candidate if they choose. And now it is here.

Pretty sure back in the day they made sound machines illegal in UK for this reason (puts musicians out of work). I doubt that is still the law. We've come too far.
Speaking of Crichton

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My wife has been praying for this. And longing to see "80 for Brady". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18079362/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Your wife is a Patriots/Brady fan? You're officially in an abusive relationship. Blink twice if you need me to send help; you don't have to live in fear anymore.

But seriously, I want to see 80 for Brady myself; looks like a fun movie and I love all of the actresses. I actually bought tickets for the first day, but winter weather made our streets here in North Texas a death trap (or at least a liability trap,) so I refunded the tickets; might try again this weekend.

Not so fun fact, of the four women around which these true events are based, only two are still living, and NONE of them have ever even met Tom Brady. I'm sorry, Tom, but that should have been the FIRST thing you did before involving yourself in this film. And don't act like you haven't had the time; I've seen pictures of you with the actresses portraying these women and promoting the film, the least you could do is meet the women who inspired and lived it.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Even further back was the Sean Connery/Wesley Snipes 1993 movie based upon Michael Crichton's 1992 novel "Rising Sun" in which people could be framed in deep fake videos (it wasn't called that back then) for crimes they didn't do, including murder.
Didn't this happen in King/Bachman's "Running Man" in 1982 ?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Didn't this happen in King/Bachman's "Running Man" in 1982 ?
Book might be different. @36 min or so, we see edited cuts: Arnie flying a chopper, which really likely is his character, but then edited so that you then see people getting killed by him allegedly opening fire on civilians. I mention "Looker" in this thread too. You raise a great point: even before deep fakes they could edit video to make it look like you did stuff you did not do.

Ever since Clint Eastwood in Line of Fire and Forest Gump, I'm thinking we may see a movie with a young Bogart, John Wayne, Clint and Moe from the 3 Stooges as comic relief, in a new Sci Fi film and their estates may not see a dime.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Book might be different. @36 min or so, we see edited cuts: Arnie flying a chopper, which really likely is his character, but then edited so that you then see people getting killed by him allegedly opening fire on civilians. I mention "Looker" in this thread too. You raise a great point: even before deep fakes they could edit video to make it look like you did stuff you did not do.
Footage was taken from the King Kong remake as well. I don't know if that was true in universe as well, though.

But yeah, on one hand this is scary, on the other, people don't need deepfakes to be deceived. Lots of anti-vaxxers or people claiming 9/11 was an inside job, or that Iraq had WMDs or was behind 9/11.

And...apparently they were considering casting LotR with Nicolas Cage as Aragorn and Sean Connery as Gandalf. With the magic of deepfakes we can see what that would have been like.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Apparently, someone bottled some sand from the "exact spot" on a beach where Tom Brady recorded his recent retirement announcement video, and is auctioning it off. Last I heard, the bid is up to $100,000. What. The. Fuck??? Between wars, devastating weather, earthquakes, mass shootings, political infighting, now this bullshit? I'm convinced this is the End of Days. C'mon, Antichrist; let's wrap this shit up already; humanity is done here.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Apparently, someone bottled some sand from the "exact spot" on a beach where Tom Brady recorded his recent retirement announcement video, and is auctioning it off. Last I heard, the bid is up to $100,000. What. The. Fuck??? Between wars, devastating weather, earthquakes, mass shootings, political infighting, now this bullshit? I'm convinced this is the End of Days. C'mon, Antichrist; let's wrap this shit up already; humanity is done here.
Money, fool, latter is soon parted from former, etc. I mean, don't you remember when someone auctioned off a piece of toast with "an image of the risen Christ" burned on it?

Reactions: BrawlMan