The 3rd Annual The Escapist Film Festival Winner Announced

Generator

May 8, 2009
Oh man, I was really hoping that Pocket Monsters would win. It was very well-made and had some great potential.

I wasn't really interested by Dorian's Quest, honestly, but hopefully it will catch me off guard and really hold my interest when it continues.

SirJ

Dec 11, 2009
Wow, I find the runners up of the Best Video category pretty disappointing overall. There were several other videos which I found to be head and shoulders above the three runners up in terms of concept, execution and production values, especially "Pals" which I found, as a lot of other people have commented, "unwatchable" and "unfunny". And I just watched the other two runners up and found them to be pretty dull as well. Virtual Reality seemed to be a pointless Jackass clone that could've been more coherent and Pixel ***** was ok for a one off but pretty flat and not something I'd be interested in seeing more of.

Honestly, are you saying that without Dorian's Quest one of these three would've possibly been picked up as recurring content?! Can anyone else here say they'd be interested in watching multiple episodes of any of the runners up? (ok except maybe Virtual Reality because I'll admit there is something compelling about watching two people trying to hurt each other).

Glad to see Pocket Monsters got the viewer's choice though, I thought it was a clever idea and would've been a lot of fun as a series. And I am looking forward to Dorian's Quest, hope they can keep the good work going.

SirJ

Dec 11, 2009
Actually, now that I think about it...

So, the prize for the winner is to be picked up as the new video series, right? And I presume that the new video series will be for your audience, right?

So you have a viewers choice section, right? And the winner of that, as chosen by your audience, isn't the one that gets picked up as a series?

I'm confused...

Not to begrudge Dorian's Quest, I did think it was great.

DRMaddock

Nov 23, 2009
Thanks for adding the special effects category! When Foxtrot first showed me the hummer explosion after spending all night working on it, my first thought was "Damn, too bad there wasn't a special effects selection". Glad to see it added in at the end though, and doubly so to see that we placed! Congrats to Pocket Monsters for taking home two prizes, and to Dorian's Quest for winning overall!

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Pocket Monsters was by far the best one. i cant wait to see it! and sence it seems pokemon are making a come back ( IE, a group on facebook is getting everyone to change there pics to pokemon) i really hope we can see this form hear on.

varun619

Jun 23, 2009
Well PopFight did get honorable mention. So that's good. I thought buffering would be higher on the list though, oh well :)

Jiveturkey124

Jan 13, 2009
I am very happy with the choice of Dorians Quest, It was simply the best video this year, and has the most potential to be a huge sprawling story.

Danji

Nov 15, 2009
I honestly find that choosing Dorian's Quest over Pocket Monsters shows poor judgment. Whether this was influenced by the fact that the DQ guys have made a series before or that PM was a lot like TWBB...I don't know. But I don't think Dorian's Quest was written at a level or conceptualized at a level that is remotely profound. For example: the only time I laughed in the 3 minute pilot was at a shallow masturbation gag. The rest of the time I was wanting it to end so my boredom would cease.

I don't mean to piss on your parade Dorian's Quest guys, I'm pretty sure you can make a series that's worth watching but as is I'm not at all interested.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I liked Dorian's Quest, and did put out a vote for it (the one vote I made that wasn't Pocket Monsters)

But like many people have already said I'm a little disappointed that the "viewers choice" didn't really account for anything besides what effectively seems to be a situation like "Here, you can stand NEAR the winner's podium but don't get any ideas, you're only here because the people like you".

I mean wouldn't it make sense if you're looking for something to entertain your audience, that opting for the video that the majority voted for would've been the better option, no?

Ah well, like I said I liked DQuest enough to probably watch it when it starts.
I just really wanted to see some damn Pokémon...

Danji

Nov 15, 2009
It's true that the term "animation" doesn't at all apply here. Still one of the better vids.

Danji

Nov 15, 2009
splatterguy734 said:
I must now mourn for pocket monsters and face the fact my votes were worthless
If only you voted for me! Then your votes would still be useless!!! Wuahahahahaha! This does seem to be odd when you think about it though...

Your votes weren't useless! They won money due to your support! They just..didn't get a series...this was all set up very oddly imo.

splatterguy734

Nov 27, 2009
Danji said:
splatterguy734 said:
I must now mourn for pocket monsters and face the fact my votes were worthless
If only you voted for me! Then your votes would still be useless!!! Wuahahahahaha! This does seem to be odd when you think about it though...

Your votes weren't useless! They won money due to your support! They just..didn't get a series...this was all set up very oddly imo.
Well put your words are wise and your group is comedy thankya sah!

Sedweiler

Dec 5, 2009
Congrats to the winner! Dorian's Quest was not my favorite one, but I hope this means that they now have a chance to surprise me with a great serie.

I liked Pocket Monsters, as most of others here apparently, but I did find it a bit too similar to There Will Be Brawl to become a new series here. Oh well, my favorite (LAG) didn't get any mentions here. Such is life...

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I hope the team behind Pocket monsters will turn it into a series. Dorian's Quest is second place on my list, but I'm looking forward to it.

Also, why is buffering not even an honourable mention. I gave it one of my votes and i think it was quite funny.