The 90s Was The Last Great Decade

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
[
TLDR
So, to conclude, the 90's were a decade of terrible music, but great TV -- at least for geeks. I challenge anyone claiming that it's just nostalgia to go back and actually watch some of those series. I have, and they really do hold up, with most of the cartoons even being better as an adult, because of all the parental bonuses. Modern TV is just lacking something that the 90s had in spades.
While I agree with most of the what you're saying, there are still interesting shows on modern television. For example, the cartoon argument. Television animation went through a sort of creator driven renaissance in the 90's, so a lot of that stuff still holds up wonderfully, but at the same time it paved the way for such cartoons to become standard in the modern era. Now most superhero cartoons (See Spectacular Spider-Man in Young Justice) match Batman: The Animated Series in terms of quality, heck, there is now a line of DVD DC Universe movies aimed directly at older viewers. How about the kid's comedies? Well, now there isn't really a radar to get crap past, Adventure Time and Regular Show (Both wonderful shows) are rated PG while being directed at kids.

Then there's adult animation, no way would shows like The Venture Bros. and Archer make it past 6 episodes in the 90's. Hell, they would have never been greenlit.

I do kind of agree about Science Fiction, though, nothing seems able to make it past a Season for the most part. And there's a lot of cynicism as appose to the idealistic future of Star Trek.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
chaosyoshimage said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
[
TLDR
So, to conclude, the 90's were a decade of terrible music, but great TV -- at least for geeks. I challenge anyone claiming that it's just nostalgia to go back and actually watch some of those series. I have, and they really do hold up, with most of the cartoons even being better as an adult, because of all the parental bonuses. Modern TV is just lacking something that the 90s had in spades.
While I agree with most of the what you're saying, there are still interesting shows on modern television. For example, the cartoon argument. Television animation went through a sort of creator driven renaissance in the 90's, so a lot of that stuff still holds up wonderfully, but at the same time it paved the way for such cartoons to become standard in the modern era. Now most superhero cartoons (See Spectacular Spider-Man in Young Justice) match Batman: The Animated Series in terms of quality, heck, there is now a line of DVD DC Universe movies aimed directly at older viewers. How about the kid's comedies? Well, now there isn't really a radar to get crap past, Adventure Time and Regular Show (Both wonderful shows) are rated PG while being directed at kids.

Then there's adult animation, no way would shows like The Venture Bros. and Archer make it past 6 episodes in the 90's. Hell, they would have never been greenlit.

I do kind of agree about Science Fiction, though, nothing seems able to make it past a Season for the most part. And there's a lot of cynicism as appose to the idealistic future of Star Trek.
Yeah, there are still good cartoons out there -- in fact, we're past the really bad years, which were from about 2006-2008 or 2009. Cartoons have been getting better for the last few years, but for the most part they still aren't where they were in the 90's. You're right about the superhero shows, except I think the show to compare them to is Superman the Animated Series, not Batman the Animated Series. That version of batman was the dark brooding version, and it had a very different feel to any of the superhero cartoons I've seen since. Young Justice, on the other hand, feels a lot like The Justice League, which in turn felt a lot like StAS. Quality shows, but a very different sort of quality. As for the direct to DVD stuff, the only one I've seen is Batman: Gotham Knight, which was a bit of a mixed bag, but entertaining overall. The thing about those movies, though, is that they're aimed at comic book fans and the now adult fans of the old DC animated universe shows; they aren't kids shows at all. That's why I didn't mention Adult Swim -- those shows are descendants of South Park, not Animaniacs.

As for Adventure Time and the like, they're TV PG rated, and less about getting crap past the radar and more about pulling in that lucrative stoned college kid market. The weirder stuff on Cartoon Network is, as far as I can tell, an acceptance on their end that one of the biggest demographics that watches the channel is 20 somethings, who, while technically adults, are kind of in a funk between adolescence and full adulthood. College kids aren't kids anymore, but they haven't joined the work force yet, either, so they wind up watching a lot of cartoons. Adventure Time is just Cartoon Network's way of capitalizing on that.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
chaosyoshimage said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
[
TLDR

Yeah, there are still good cartoons out there -- in fact, we're past the really bad years, which were from about 2006-2008 or 2009. Cartoons have been getting better for the last few years, but for the most part they still aren't where they were in the 90's. You're right about the superhero shows, except I think the show to compare them to is Superman the Animated Series, not Batman the Animated Series. That version of batman was the dark brooding version, and it had a very different feel to any of the superhero cartoons I've seen since. Young Justice, on the other hand, feels a lot like The Justice League, which in turn felt a lot like StAS. Quality shows, but a very different sort of quality. As for the direct to DVD stuff, the only one I've seen is Batman: Gotham Knight, which was a bit of a mixed bag, but entertaining overall. The thing about those movies, though, is that they're aimed at comic book fans and the now adult fans of the old DC animated universe shows; they aren't kids shows at all. That's why I didn't mention Adult Swim -- those shows are descendants of South Park, not Animaniacs.

As for Adventure Time and the like, they're TV PG rated, and less about getting crap past the radar and more about pulling in that lucrative stoned college kid market. The weirder stuff on Cartoon Network is, as far as I can tell, an acceptance on their end that one of the biggest demographics that watches the channel is 20 somethings, who, while technically adults, are kind of in a funk between adolescence and full adulthood. College kids aren't kids anymore, but they haven't joined the work force yet, either, so they wind up watching a lot of cartoons. Adventure Time is just Cartoon Network's way of capitalizing on that.
You're right, Superman: TAS would be a better comparison, but I'm just trying to point out how there are good mature cartoons on today's television that seemed to be ignored by the 90
s nostalgia. As for Adventure Time, that's true that they are definitely trying to capitalize on that market, at the same time, the key demo is still kids.

By the way, you totally need to see more of the DC Universe movies besides Batman: Gotham Knight. While I liked it, it's definitely not representative of the line. I'd try Batman: Under the Red Hood or Justice League: The New Frontier for something that's more like the rest of the line. I'm getting off topic now, aren't I?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
chaosyoshimage said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
chaosyoshimage said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
[
TLDR

You're right, Superman: TAS would be a better comparison, but I'm just trying to point out how there are good mature cartoons on today's television that seemed to be ignored by the 90
s nostalgia. As for Adventure Time, that's true that they are definitely trying to capitalize on that market, at the same time, the key demo is still kids.

By the way, you totally need to see more of the DC Universe movies besides Batman: Gotham Knight. While I liked it, it's definitely not representative of the line. I'd try Batman: Under the Red Hood or Justice League: The New Frontier for something that's more like the rest of the line. I'm getting off topic now, aren't I?
You are, but we're fine as long as we don't derail the whole thread. I find it interesting that you mentioned Justice League: The New Frontier, because I have a copy of it on my shelf, still in the shrinkwrap. I picked it up for $5 months ago, but I haven't had a chance to watch it. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

pubbing

Dec 16, 2010
teebeeohh said:
yes, we all love the decade we were kids and hate the decade we were teens and from then on we are afloat on a cloud snobbish detachedness now get over it.
It is funny that you say that because I was a teen in the 90's (Born in 1980) and I think the 90's really sucked.

TokenRupee

Oct 2, 2010
mental_looney said:
Lies I was a kid all through the 90's and some of it was good but some ofit was lame some of the music and films are terrible just as it is now and the 80s and the 70 have their terrible and awesome moments too. It's all nostalgia to when you were a carefree kid.

The 90's gave us the spice girls, britney spears, Battlefield Earth was made in the 90's, skousers (skirt over trousers, pogs which are not as awesome on reflection.
No, Battlefield Earth came out in 2000. Don't try to taint the 90's with that garbage.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
TokenRupee said:
mental_looney said:
Lies I was a kid all through the 90's and some of it was good but some ofit was lame some of the music and films are terrible just as it is now and the 80s and the 70 have their terrible and awesome moments too. It's all nostalgia to when you were a carefree kid.

The 90's gave us the spice girls, britney spears, Battlefield Earth was made in the 90's, skousers (skirt over trousers, pogs which are not as awesome on reflection.
No, Battlefield Earth came out in 2000. Don't try to taint the 90's with that garbage.
It was made in the 90's! book written in the 80s and the film released in 2000, it can taint the last 3 decades...

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
90s had X-Files, 3 good Star Trek shows, Xena: Warrior Princess, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and every movie isn't a reboot of a movie not even 20 years old. The Matrix was made in the 90s while the sequels weren't. Metal was just breaking in the mainstream and the only core around was hardcore (which is the only acceptable 'core)

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
DarthScorpio11 said:
political correctness ruined the 00s. In the 90s, kid cartoons could be violent, and I believe Speed the rated R movie was even nominated for a Kids Choice Award. I mean, have you seen Hunchback of Norte Dame. It was rated G, and was very dark. Would have gotten a higher rating in the 00s. Also, you could also say more stuff back then, and people wouldn't be so sensitive. I was watching Angel, and Spike made a joke about Angel calling him a poof. I can't see that flying in the 21st century. People these days are so uptight...

this is the angel clip im talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4j26Z7rD_E
Tbh, I think the level of censorship says more about whatever country you're in than it does about the decade.

As for decades, unless we enter something like teh dark age again, where technology and knowledge took a huge step backwards, every decade will surpass it's precessor, even if it takes smaller steps forward than it did before, it's still steps forward.

imperialus

Apr 20, 2009
DarthScorpio11 said:
rt052192 said:
love me some 90s. What I really dislike about the first decade of the new millennium was the lack of any stand-out "decade known bands". You know kinda like how the 80s was known for hair metal and catchy electronic kinda beats or how the 90s was really alternative/grungy and had some really good rap/hip hop. But what is the new decade known for? Nu-metal? Metalcore? please not crabcore....

time will tell
Well, i'm 21, so i was a teen in the 00s. Pretty much as far as rock goes Green Day pretty much became extremely popular when i was in high school with American Idiot. I know they're an older band, but it was a pretty iconic album of the decade. Eminem, Kanye West also are some pretty big decade music stars
Greenday became popular in the 00's? Never heard of Dookie?

Hell lets just do a quick rundown of a few of the awesome punk albums released in the mid 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxhDWoSqzeQ (Stranger than Fiction released in 94)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c87TKWgRyCE (Dookie released in 94)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCA7F7aHxA (Out Come the Wolves released in 93)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN_GAEMlIyY (Smash released in 94)

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
rt052192 said:
love me some 90s. What I really dislike about the first decade of the new millennium was the lack of any stand-out "decade known bands". You know kinda like how the 80s was known for hair metal and catchy electronic kinda beats or how the 90s was really alternative/grungy and had some really good rap/hip hop. But what is the new decade known for? Nu-metal? Metalcore? please not crabcore....

time will tell
Metalcore is the shit.

OT: I loved the 90s. I was a kid and there were no worries except what kind of milk i was going to drink at lunch. The 90s weren't so great for my parents but for me they were fucking awesome.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
People are too sensitive to stuff. Everything can't be "politically incorrect" and society forces political correctness on you. It's happened for the past 11 years or so, why are you realizing this now?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Not if you ask bob and whoever the hell that fake ass wrestler (triple h?) is he always has the pic come up for when he talks about the nineties.

Anyway, I enjoyed the nineties, but for much the same reason Bob enjoyed the 80s. I grew up in them. But the other decades have their pluses and minuses. Just like every generation does, including the nineties.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
No offence but you sound like my grandfather. He would often talk about how it used to be so much better in his time, back then everything was better.
There are good times and bad times. It's just that we like look back at the times where we grew up and have all these great memories about it and then we look at the present and it's not the same, so we don't like it and think that our time was better. People don't like new and different things, so that's why we like to remember the times we know and love and don't like the new unknown times. I bet that in 20-30 years, someone will make a similar thread, claiming that the time between 2010 and 2020 was the best time.
I see that very often when people argue about cartoons. Everyone says that the cartoons where the best when he/she was a child and that the new ones suck. It's mostly just simple nostalgia.
So, I like the 90s as well, since I grew up in that decade but it's nearly impossible in my opinion that it was the last great decade.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
If I remember correctly the 90s were pretty terrible, being a time of poorly built, gimmicky products and generally terrible music. Or at least that's how it was in America.