The apocalypse is coming in October! Three times!!

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Damn and here I went studying for the last three months for my LSAT today. Guess I wasted my time!

Alduin Silas

Aug 3, 2011
No, sorry I can't come into work, I shall be dying three times over the course of the next few weeks, dashed inconvienient and all that.

GreyKnight3445

Nov 2, 2010
krazykidd said:
Not to start a religious debate but what i wonder is if the apocalipse these guys speak of is religious or not . Because if it's not religious ( like the wrath of god ) then what will cause it ? The sun exploding or the earths core imploding? Now if it is religous , it's funny because no one is suppose to know the time of the apocalypse , could God be wrong is saying that now one knows when HE will decide to bring the apocalypse upon us ? I doubt it .

So, i think it's a lot of bull anyways . But i know i'm going to hell so the longer it takes the better .

I`m fairly certain they`re all pseudo-science, superstition, and astrology.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Can't wait!
EDIT: To keep this a low-content post, I'd just like to say that the only apocalypse I can accept is the pony apocalypse.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Good, I still have time for my surplus ammo order to be delivered. Also my little brother will have to settle for Armageddon/Rapture for his Birthday on the 22nd

Bluntman1138

Aug 12, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bluntman1138 said:
The ONLY doomsday theory that is even half way credible is Apophis. When Neil De Grasse Tyson says he fears Apophis, we should ALL FEAR Apophis.
Really wish this would get more media attention. I know the chance of it hitting us is slim, but I think it's like 1 in 250,000? You really want better odds than that with this sort of thing.
Well, the media has other things to worry about right now, like celebutards, Perry/Bachman, and bad mouthing the current Administration. (At least by their standards)

And as Tyson has said, the odds cant be calculated just yet. It's flyby is 2029. If it hits a gravatational "keyhole" (an area of about 600 miles) then it WILL strike Earth in 2036 as it loops back around. If it misses the keyhole, then nothing.

Buyt with it's size and rotation, and the distance it is currently at, calculations wont be accurate, until it gets much closer. SO really, we wont know that it will hit the keyhole till a few years before the first flyby.

Besides, Scientists has given it the name Apophis accuratly, as it could very well destroy us. Here in America, the majority of the population will simply call it "Jesus", as it will be the "Judgement Day" sent from God, the Christians so desperatly want to happen. So there is another reason why it really isnt being worked on here in America, its all the will of "God". Makes me sick.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Nowadays I think predicting doomsday is less about genuinely warning people of the end of times and more about getting your name in the paper and maybe making a quick buck.

As for why we're so obsessed with it, I'unno, it's kind of odd thinking about a world that comes as-is. No brands, no internet, no cities, if it all goes up in smoke then we're left with a world we can rebuild according to OUR vision, because WE survived while everyone else died horribly. It'd be like if Minecraft and Fallout had a real life baby!

GoAwayVifs

Aug 5, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bluntman1138 said:
The ONLY doomsday theory that is even half way credible is Apophis. When Neil De Grasse Tyson says he fears Apophis, we should ALL FEAR Apophis.
Really wish this would get more media attention. I know the chance of it hitting us is slim, but I think it's like 1 in 250,000? You really want better odds than that with this sort of thing.
1 in 250 000 is pretty good considering they used to have it at odds of 1 in 37 (~3%).

Bluntman1138 said:
gravatational "keyhole" (an area of about 600 miles)
Actually it is 600 meters wide.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
More end of the world nonsense? How original. Pretty soon they're going to say it's "everyday until it happens so when it does, I can say "HA HA! TOLD YOU!""

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Well if one of them involves creatures like zombies or triffids, then maybe the next one will wipe them out. :p

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Mcupobob said:
For dissuasion value, why do you think the human race is fantasied with the apocalypses? I think its a desire to be the last ones to have inhabited earth, something I guess people find unsettling thinking about life going on without them.
Something close to that, I think.

I think it also has something to do with people's tendency to believe the time they live in to the be the most important. There's no global wars going on, science is progressing normally, so people have to find some way to make this time special.

I think that's why we've seen so many of these cropping up lately.

As someone who was in their late teens in 2000, I've pretty much become inured to doomsday claims.

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
Bluntman1138 said:
It's flyby is 2029. If it hits a gravatational "keyhole" (an area of about 600 miles) then it WILL strike Earth in 2036 as it loops back around.
So we will have 7 years to get Ben Affleck,Bruce Willis, and Steve Buscemi on a rocket then.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"?It wont be spiritual on October 21st,? Camping said, adding, ?the world is going to be destroyed all together, but it will be very quick.?"

"Very quick" instead of "5 months of Hell on Earth"?
Wow, God *IS* really merciful! :O

Seriously, why does any publication publish such nonsense?
Need viewers/readers/listeners THAT bad? :\